PDA

View Full Version : For the Packers to win in 2006.....

RashanGary
06-28-2006, 05:01 PM
1. Show that they don't have any glaring "weak links"
2. Win the turnover battle
3. Make big plays on offense

1 - The most glaring weak links that could change games in the negative direction for GB are K, P, RG, LG, RB, WR. If that Packers want to win games in 2006, quite a few mostly young guys are going to have to step up. Colledge, Spitz, Cundiff, Ryan/Sander, Green/Gado/Davenport, Jennings. How likely are those things to happen right away in 2006? I think maybe half of those problems will be solved right away in 2006. That leaves 3 weak links that will be working in the wrong direction for GB in 06. Last year there were weak links at RB, WR, RG, LG, DE depth, LB depth by my estimation. I think there will be considerably less "weak links" in 06 -vs- 05. Injuries shouldn't be as much of a concern becuase the depth of the team seems to be much stronger after Thompsons 2nd full season as GM.

2 - Favre is huge in elimnating turn overs. He needs to play smart and not change the game by making silly mistakes. After the QB, the defense is the next unit that needs to step up big. 32nd in the league in turnovers is not going to cut it in the NFL. The team that wins the turnover battle usually wins the game and you cannot get buy with 0 playmakers on defense. The Packers have a bunch of solid players on defense who can do their jobs. Harris, Woodson, KGB, Kamp, Barnett, Pickett, Cole, Manuel ect.....What they need is 1 or 2 guys to step up and change the outcome of the game. Hawk and Nick Collins are the two who I think are most likely to change the game. We need forced fumbles, INT's and sacks. We need 2 probowl players on defense. If not, the Packers will not be much better than in 2005. #7 in yards doesn't mean shit if you can't turn the ball over on the 15 yard line and get an easy 6 points 4 or 5 times a year. That is what wins games. That is how you take the wind out of the opponents sails.

3 Favre is at a point in his career where he just isn't the most physically dominate player on the field. A while back someone showed an old Favre clip and you couldn't help but be wowed by the amazing things he did on a pretty regular basis. His arm isn't as strong, his legs arn't as lively and his body isn't as bullet proof. He's showing his mortality and I think the biggest thing he can do in his old age is not throw INT's. The Packers cannot count on Favre to make all the big plays in the game. Unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone has the capability to do that. Jennings has the hands/speed/quickness combo to make a few in his career, but he is a rookie. Gado has break away speed, but is dependent on a good OL. Driver is a very good player but not a playmaker. I just don't see it happening. Unless Favre can turn back time, this is going to be the area that hurts the Packers most. Big plays lead to defensive turnovers which lead to more big plays because the oppent goes for broke on D and it is one big cycle.

I may be optimistic here, but I think Hawk and Collins are going to show probowl form. I think they will cause TO's and win games with big plays. Unfortunately, I think they have a few weak links and have no offensive game changers. I see an 8/8 team who needs a star RB and better WR's to take it to the next level. I don't see it happening in 06, but if Thompson can fill a few key holes and some guys step up and start to show NFL ability, they have a real chance in 07 assuming Favre plays one more. I see no hope right now for a good team. As for 06, average is best and that is assuming Hawk and Collins are damn near probowl level.

MadtownPacker
06-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Good read but you are saying that Favre is what may hold the team back? Sorry but that performace you saw last season wasnt the arm or even the legs giving out. It was the fact that he was getting swarmed as soon as the ball was snapped. by mid season he got to the point where he was just trying to throw it, to whoever! He lost faith, he knew the season was in the toilet. We all did.

I expect 25 TD and like 15 INTs at worse.

MacCool606
06-28-2006, 10:06 PM
don't forget the coaching factor. I still think many of Favre's problems were due to his problems(my perception) with the offensive coordinator. (If he isn't audiblizing a few times a game I don't think he is being himself.)

If MMM and Jags can craft an offense, and a climate, where Brett can have fun, his performance will not be a problem.

Then, if the defense holds its' own, several games could come down to coaching decisions.

The Shadow
06-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I agree that Favre's commitment to cutting down on the boneheaded plays will be the key to the season/
Overall, the Packers are improving, and if Favre spends more time in the film room & playbook than working on 'core training', it should be a fine season.

MadtownPacker
06-28-2006, 11:04 PM
As far as Favre not being bulletproof, well he is damn close. Honestly, how many of last seasons starting QBs would have made it through one of the bears games with the punishment he took? Much less TWO!
Would have put PMannings 2nd place streak to an end for sure.

The Leaper
06-29-2006, 08:12 AM
I think Collins is absolutely correct in saying that Favre at this age serves the team best by not throwing INTs. He simply is not the playmaker he was 5 or 10 years ago. That isn't a knock on the guy...few players at any point in their career had the playmaking ability Favre had in his prime. He still is a very good player who can light it up big in spots, but Favre needs to spend more time learning how to be more conservative. Great players adjust, and Favre isn't immune to the need to adjust. Taking chances is fine...but they must be calculated chances based on field position and situation.

I'm not as concerned with the offense making big plays...as long as Favre is under center, plays will happen. He's too damn good not to make plays on occasion. I'm more concerned with the defense making big plays. Creating some turnovers and giving the offense a short field will be huge in 2006. For the Packers to be successful in 2006, they need to focus on turnover differential.

woodbuck27
06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
"I'm not as concerned with the offense making big plays...as long as Favre is under center, plays will happen. He's too damn good not to make plays on occasion. I'm more concerned with the defense making big plays. Creating some turnovers and giving the offense a short field will be huge in 2006. For the Packers to be successful in 2006, they need to focus on turnover differential." The Leaper

The coaching staff, if smart, will design a WCO that plays to Brett Favre's strengths. Favre can still move well out of the pocket and he has the zip on the ball and the arm strength (when ocassionally needed) to get the ball deep. Favre has the athletic strengths and competitiveness to make OUR "O" run smoothly if plays are properly designed for OUR RB's, WR's and TE's to get in position for a play.

We need people that are healthy and will defend the ball - at all cost. We need to see the screen pass come back and WR's/TE's come back to the ball for that to be a reality. We need WR's that can play like DB's and knock the ball down or fight for it within the rules. We didn't witness alot of that in 2005.

If OUR OL and running game don't combine for decent success, we are in deep trouble, as I believe that it's Favre's instinct to try too hard. Brettt Favre has to eat the ball and toss it out of bounds rather then try the improbable. He must cut way back on forcing the ball, and the Offence must be designed to reduce that need.

I'm hoping that we can see a legitimate #1 and #2 WR effort in this upcoming season. I need to see more production at the TE spot and that means health there and a player like TE Donald Lee stretch the field. I hope to see someone other than Dvid Martin win the #3 TE job or if Martin hangs in, that he stretches the field and stays healthy for a change. We have to have another TE step up.

So far we are seeing WR's not get it done on any consistent basis besides Donald Driver ,Greg Jennings and Ruvell Martin. In TC all ego must be set aside to go with the best we can find at TC in the WR position. We need WR's that are willing to get in position to make the catch as Favre will get them the ball.

We also need a miracle out of Ahman Green and see him return to his pass run form of 2003.That is a high hope I realize, but we need Ahman Green almost as much as we need Brett Favre. We certainly need to see a solid effort out of Samkon Gado.

It's at this stage really, alot of if's. If the OL - if the Running Game - if the WR's - if the TE's then all will attend to Brett Favre's play. He is only OUR QB. He runs the plays that are given to him as only a part of the outcome.

On the defensive side of the ball we certainly need BIG TO's or one's that produce points. Where have they gone?

On ST's we need the ocassional punt busted for a big gain and we need good downfield coverage when we are punting the ball. We need a punter that sets the opposition out deep in their end, when they start a series the same fate that we faced so often last season.We were always, it seemed to me - stuck in a deep hole when we got the ball back.

We have to win the punting game and the game on the clock or we will not improve greatly on 2005.

jack's smirking revenge
06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
4. Win the battles at the lines.

If our offensive and defensive lines don't show that they're much improved, both our offense and defense will be suspect. Favre will struggle. Gado and Green will struggle. Our defense will have to compensate for an inability to slow down the run, allowing for wide open spaces in the secondary.

The lines are where its at.

tyler

Partial
06-29-2006, 11:06 AM

If our offensive and defensive lines don't show that they're much improved, both our offense and defense will be suspect. Favre will struggle. Gado and Green will struggle. Our defense will have to compensate for an inability to slow down the run, allowing for wide open spaces in the secondary.

tyler

agree 100%

woodbuck27
06-29-2006, 11:14 AM

tyler

agree 100%

Keeping it simple - that is 'the TRUTH'.

To really simplify it. OUR OL has to be very good and the RB's healthy and hit the hole. We have to cutdown on third and long. The proper time to use the play action pass has to be set up.

If we don't control the ball on "O", we lose the battle of the clock and OUR "D" gets worn down.

Tony Oday
06-29-2006, 04:04 PM
It all starts in the trenches baby. Offense and defensive lines.

SD GB fan
06-29-2006, 10:44 PM
not to ruin the party or anything..but i think all teams need those in order to win..not just the pack

Bretsky
06-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Interior OL is what decides whether this team is 6-10 or 10-6. I think depth at other positions is manageable. Some weak, but manageable. But if the C/OG's break down we are screwed. I agree with the few that would have wanted TT to bring in a proven starter at one OG spot.

Mazzin
06-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Whatever it is they need to do I wish them MAD sucess, and Godspeed to them....I used to hate TT but he is turning at least our DEPTH around