PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds - Week 10

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
by E. Homer

The Packers were absolutely horrible today. Find out why here (http://www.packerrats.com).

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree with all of Homer's points. The shortcomings in this game were pretty obvious. PAckers deserved to lose, the interceptions kept it interesting. Peterson is a man among boys.

Joemailman
11-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Homer mentioned something I've been thinking. With the DB's playing as well as they are, the Packers coaching staff should be able to come up with a scheme to stop the run. It does not appear to me that Sanders is anything more than an average at best DC.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2008, 09:28 PM
me & mailman are the only responders, one stud and one dud

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Ahhhh, but which is which?

I thought Nick Collins should have made the studs column. Dude played a decent game besides the pick-six.

Bretsky
11-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Homer mentioned something I've been thinking. With the DB's playing as well as they are, the Packers coaching staff should be able to come up with a scheme to stop the run. It does not appear to me that Sanders is anything more than an average at best DC.

YOU ARE WAY TOO KIND

Partial
11-09-2008, 11:03 PM
We need a new DC. I hate our defensive coaching staff!!!!!! Imagine how good our secondary would look with some blitzing!

Willard
11-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Frost is a dud.

Fritz
11-10-2008, 07:12 AM
As we all know, the games are won and lost in the trenches, and the PAckers got whooped on both sides.

As someone noted a little while ago, TT should not be allowed to draft anything but linemen in the next draft. The team has all the other pieces, but with that sh_tty offensive line and mediocre defensive line, all else is wasted.

What a lousy offensive line. I was wrong saying Colledge would develop. Clifton and Tauscher are not what they were. Spitz kept being shown on TV watching his man nail Rodgers. Wells get overwhelmed.

cpk1994
11-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Frost is a dud.I said it before, but Karma is getting TT for his sheer arrogance releasing Ryan days before the opener after not bringing a single additional punter into camp.

bobblehead
11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
As we all know, the games are won and lost in the trenches, and the PAckers got whooped on both sides.

As someone noted a little while ago, TT should not be allowed to draft anything but linemen in the next draft. The team has all the other pieces, but with that sh_tty offensive line and mediocre defensive line, all else is wasted.

What a lousy offensive line. I was wrong saying Colledge would develop. Clifton and Tauscher are not what they were. Spitz kept being shown on TV watching his man nail Rodgers. Wells get overwhelmed.

from what I saw college probably played the best game on the OL.

MadtownPacker
11-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I dont see how Blackmon isnt a stud. That TD was all him doing his thing. Electrifying return if you ask me. He set up good field position all day. That KO he took out of the endzone wasnt that big of a deal IMO.

denverYooper
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
I'd at least put Grant on the "Best of the Rest". He looked strong when they gave him the ball.

IMHO, the coaching staff should've adjusted the game plan for that when it looked like he had a pretty hot hand. Or, at least a lukewarm hand... which was better than anything else the O had going on.

But I'm under the impression that the coaching staff comes out with a plan for the game and that's it. No adjustments are made. Completely static in a dynamic environment. It's not the first time they've ignored the hot hand.

cpk1994
11-10-2008, 11:18 AM
I dont see how Blackmon isnt a stud. That TD was all him doing his thing. Electrifying return if you ask me. He set up good field position all day. That KO he took out of the endzone wasnt that big of a deal IMO.But it did break a cardinal rule of kick returning and one whicih you saw blackmon get chewed out for.

Harlan Huckleby
11-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Frost is a dud.I said it before, but Karma is getting TT for his sheer arrogance releasing Ryan days before the opener after not bringing a single additional punter into camp.

ahh, you win some, you lose some.

the Packers have ALWAYS gone through punters like shit through a goose. Finding punters who are keepers is more the exception than the rule. Happens to most teams.

MadtownPacker
11-10-2008, 11:52 AM
But it did break a cardinal rule of kick returning and one whicih you saw blackmon get chewed out for.Losing 10 yds is worth the reward of a TD IMO. Blackmon has the ability to take it to the house everytime so I almost prefer he returns every kick. If M3 wants to chew someone out he needs to start with himself because Blackmon gave the Packers more of a chance to win than McCarthy did yesterday.

Patler
11-10-2008, 11:57 AM

How so? As bad as he is, Frost is outperforming Ryan this year. Better net average, more fair catches (on fewer punts), much better ratio of punts downed inside the 20/touchbacks. The only thing Ryan has done better is gross average, but since his net average is almost a yard worse than Frost, what good is the higher gross?

Gunakor
11-10-2008, 12:44 PM

How so? As bad as he is, Frost is outperforming Ryan this year. Better net average, more fair catches (on fewer punts), much better ratio of punts downed inside the 20/touchbacks. The only thing Ryan has done better is gross average, but since his net average is almost a yard worse than Frost, what good is the higher gross?

Good point. You can out punt your coverage unit, and end up with worse starting defensive field position than you would with a shorter kick and a fair catch.

That being said, the net avg. for both Frost AND Ryan are atrocious this season. I am in favor of releasing Frost, but not for a John Ryan or anyone like him. In the end, I want a bigger shift in field position on punts. I want a guy who can kick it deep AND get enough hang time to set up the coverage, not one or the other. Punters are paid to do both, so that's what I expect. Neither Frost nor Ryan are any good IMO.

cpk1994
11-10-2008, 02:07 PM

How so? As bad as he is, Frost is outperforming Ryan this year. Better net average, more fair catches (on fewer punts), much better ratio of punts downed inside the 20/touchbacks. The only thing Ryan has done better is gross average, but since his net average is almost a yard worse than Frost, what good is the higher gross?It's Karma beucae he didn't bring any punters into camp. IF TT was so dissatisfied with Ryan why didn't he bring a single punter in during camp? At least you were pushing Ryan to perform better. Not bringing in a punter or two was a dumb mistake, deciding to switch at the last minute out of desperation was a consequence of that dumb decision.

Willard
11-10-2008, 02:21 PM

Good point. You can out punt your coverage unit, and end up with worse starting defensive field position than you would with a shorter kick and a fair catch.

That being said, the net avg. for both Frost AND Ryan are atrocious this season. I am in favor of releasing Frost, but not for a John Ryan or anyone like him. In the end, I want a bigger shift in field position on punts. I want a guy who can kick it deep AND get enough hang time to set up the coverage, not one or the other. Punters are paid to do both, so that's what I expect. Neither Frost nor Ryan are any good IMO.
Frost had 2 free kicks. One would think his gross average would be better at least. I know he doesnt have the leg of a Ryan, but on a free kick I expected more.

Patler
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM

How so? As bad as he is, Frost is outperforming Ryan this year. Better net average, more fair catches (on fewer punts), much better ratio of punts downed inside the 20/touchbacks. The only thing Ryan has done better is gross average, but since his net average is almost a yard worse than Frost, what good is the higher gross?It's Karma beucae he didn't bring any punters into camp. IF TT was so dissatisfied with Ryan why didn't he bring a single punter in during camp? At least you were pushing Ryan to perform better. Not bringing in a punter or two was a dumb mistake, deciding to switch at the last minute out of desperation was a consequence of that dumb decision.

Wouldn't a reference to "kharma" apply if he was worse off for having done what you believe is wrong? Since they are at least no worse off, and arguably even slightly better for having dumped Ryan for Frost, I don't follow your reference to kharma.

Patler
11-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Frost had 2 free kicks. One would think his gross average would be better at least. I know he doesnt have the leg of a Ryan, but on a free kick I expected more.

I don't think free kicks are included in punting stats.

Zool
11-10-2008, 02:50 PM

I don't think free kicks are included in punting stats.

I think that's right. They are considered a kickoff. Teams can use the punter or the place kicker on a free kick.

MJZiggy
11-10-2008, 06:21 PM

Maybe he had another punter "in camp" just happened to be someone else's camp. Word is, he was just waiting to see if Frost got released to make a decision on Ryan.

texaspackerbacker
11-11-2008, 01:44 AM
We need a new DC. I hate our defensive coaching staff!!!!!! Imagine how good our secondary would look with some blitzing!

This is just WRONG!!!

The good we have from our defense is BECAUSE of the system. Overdoing the blitzing is for losers. Coverage, forcing the QB to be perfect or else pay the price with interceptions, that is the way to go.

The Packers mixed in just enough blitzes Sunday to get the pressure they needed. Against teams with lesser O Lines than the Vikings, even less blitzing is needed.

And against the run, except for the almost super-human performance by Peterson--who hasn't played near that well most of the season--we would have had it stopped. He got his big gains by improvising--bouncing off and reversing the field, etc.

A combination of a Viking team playing inspired football and mediocre Packer offense was what did us in, NOT the Sanders defensive scheme.

Patler
11-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Tex makes a valid point. Much of the problem against the Vikings was not scheme as much as performance. If the players do not win the one-on-one battles that are in every scheme, it doesn't matter what the scheme is.

cpk1994
11-11-2008, 06:22 AM

Maybe he had another punter "in camp" just happened to be someone else's camp. Word is, he was just waiting to see if Frost got released to make a decision on Ryan.If so, thats a dumb way to do business. If you are dissatisfied with a position, bring in replacements immediately because maybe, just maybe, by pushing Ryan he improves or you find someone elkse in the process. TT was really an idiot on this one.

cpk1994
11-11-2008, 06:23 AM

This is just WRONG!!!

The good we have from our defense is BECAUSE of the system. Overdoing the blitzing is for losers. Coverage, forcing the QB to be perfect or else pay the price with interceptions, that is the way to go.

The Packers mixed in just enough blitzes Sunday to get the pressure they needed. Against teams with lesser O Lines than the Vikings, even less blitzing is needed.

And against the run, except for the almost super-human performance by Peterson--who hasn't played near that well most of the season--we would have had it stopped. He got his big gains by improvising--bouncing off and reversing the field, etc.

A combination of a Viking team playing inspired football and mediocre Packer offense was what did us in, NOT the Sanders defensive scheme.Exactly. For all of you who keep wanting a blitzing scheme, repeat this name to yourself: Bob Slowik. Remember him? Remember how that worked out?

Gunakor
11-11-2008, 02:21 PM

This is just WRONG!!!

A combination of a Viking team playing inspired football and mediocre Packer offense was what did us in, NOT the Sanders defensive scheme.Exactly. For all of you who keep wanting a blitzing scheme, repeat this name to yourself: Bob Slowik. Remember him? Remember how that worked out?

Hey, we beat the everliving shit out of the Panthers in week 1 that year! But I digress, it got REAL ugly after that...