PDA

View Full Version : Not looking good, but still a long way to go

Patler
11-10-2008, 08:59 AM
First, let me say that I am not approaching this with my head in the clouds. The team is not playing well, period. The chance of a dramatic turnaround is not likely at this stage. Week after week of foolish mistakes, like bad decisions in the return game, and penalty after penalty. Week after week of poor performances by more than just a player or two. The defense can't make a stop when needed at the end of games. The linebacker play is mediocre. The offense has stalled in the run and pass. The offensive line is just that...offensive. Punting is bad. The list could go on and on.

About the only continued and consistent bright spots are the play of Woodson and Collins, and to some extent Williams. Even Jennings is just flickering as of late.

But, IF (and I know it is a huge "IF" with the way they played yesterday), if the coaches can right this ship and the players play like they are capable of playing, the Packers could be in a three-way tie for first next week. The Division title and a playoff spot are still there for the taking, but the Packers are losing time.

Of the Bears, Vikings and Packers, the only team starting to roll is the Vikings. Could be their year.

But isn't Collins enjoyable to watch this year? Hopefully an emerging star.

cpk1994
11-10-2008, 09:06 AM
THe Vikings still have Childress. They will still blow it.

Cheesehead Craig
11-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Absolutely agree that there is plenty of blame to go around this season for the Packers struggles.

Both the OL and DL are below average (to be kind). Rodgers is showing some flashes of the very good QB he will become but also shows some of the deer-in-headlights moments that accompany first year starters. The LBs have been disappointing.

Not sure if it's a glimmering hope that the Pack can still take the division or if I should be dismayed that this division is that bad right now overall.

BF4MVP
11-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Nice post, Patler. Even with all the problems, the Packers are still a game out of first, with the chance to jump one of the two teams ahead of them next week..

I could definitely see a turnaround happening..The toughest part of the schedule is over, in my opinion..(Chicago, New Orleans, and Jacksonville are probably the three toughest teams we play and neither one of them is anything special)..That being said, some things need to change for that to happen..The team needs some discipline, which starts with coaching. The stupid penalties are inexcusable, and have played a big part in a number of losses this season. The offensive line needs to give Rodgers more time..I thought pass blocking was a strength of this offensive line..What happened to that..While I blame most of the offense's struggles on the (lack of) pass protection, Rodgers is not without blame..He needs to play more like he played against Detroit and Seattle and less like he played against Tennessee and Minnesota..And the defense has to get stops in crunch time..There is parity in the NFL, which means that most games are probably going to be pretty close..The team that makes plays towards the end of the game is the one that wins those close games..The Packers haven't this year and they need to start..

P.S. Derrick Frost sucks..

privatepacker
11-10-2008, 09:29 AM
It was treat to see the Pack again this year. Dallas had a bye so they were on TV. What was bad was their play. Here's what I saw in the team:
Defense
Picket isn't playing as good as he was lat year.
Jolly isn't breaking up double teams assigned to him
No pass rush from either end
LBs that are being taken out of games by the OL
Offense
Weak cut-backs no holes for running lanes
No protection for prolonged pass plays
Lack of heads up play by QB. First look not there no second or third chance opportunities.
Punting was again as bad as it was in 2nd. or 3rd game.
Not sure if age has finially eroded Tackles and can Colledge and whoever be the answers?
Rodgers is doing pretty good but he isn't game savy where he can pull games from the fire and win them. That takes time. Until he figures out that teams wil blitz him into the ground unless he finds that open guy or throws the ball away, he will always take more hits then he should. It took Favre many years to get there. I remember seeing games after their SB win teams blitzing like crazy and giving him fits.
So can they start playing good ball? I don't think their injuries will allow them that luxury. They will be playing and adding depth as they get over the poor play. Players like Thompson at DE and probably will see Sitton get better. Would like to see Barbre get more playing time to see what he can do. It's not like the current group is doing outstanding job.
Expect a new D coordinator after this year.

Patler
11-10-2008, 09:34 AM

Had Crosby made the last field goal and the Packers had won; I wonder what the conversation in MN would be about Chidress' decision to go for it on 4th down when Peterson fumbled?

imscott72
11-10-2008, 09:34 AM

Yeah the Vikings didn't impress me much. (no offense Ras). They should of blown us out of the water yesterday. Their front 7 is very good, and AP is AP, but their pass D is weak, the QB play is atrocious, the Williams boys are going to be lost soon, and their head coach is an idiot. The Vikes may win the division or the Packers may win the division, but whoever does isn't going to do a damn thing in the playoffs with the weaknesses both teams have.

3irty1
11-10-2008, 09:36 AM
The Vikings might be "getting on a roll" with wins but their play has been uninspiring as well. The little things seem to be going their way this year but I wouldn't expect it to continue. They are lucky they have the record they have. As much as it burns for me to say it, I think the Bears are probably going to win the division. They've managed to stay healthy enough and really don't have a glaring weakness.

imscott72
11-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I could definitely see a turnaround happening..The toughest part of the schedule is over, in my opinion..(Chicago, New Orleans, and Jacksonville are probably the three toughest teams we play and neither one of them is anything special)

Disagree. We play Chicago twice, which I could easily see two losses there, Carolina is very good, Jacksonville is good, hell I don't think we're much better than the Saints. When you can't stop the run and you can't run, and you're consistently getting beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball, any team can and will knock you off no matter what their record is. I'm predicting a 7-9 record at this point. 8-8 maybe, but unlikely.

mngolf19
11-10-2008, 09:39 AM

I'm guessing you have said this about every Vikes coach? Not that I have much good to say about Childress either. But what about your coach?

3irty1
11-10-2008, 09:39 AM

Had Crosby made the last field goal and the Packers had won; I wonder what the conversation in MN would be about Chidress' decision to go for it on 4th down when Peterson fumbled?

Especially since Peterson was in his ear, then goes out and coughs it up. Its tragic that we could steal this win.

BF4MVP
11-10-2008, 09:40 AM
I could definitely see a turnaround happening..The toughest part of the schedule is over, in my opinion..(Chicago, New Orleans, and Jacksonville are probably the three toughest teams we play and neither one of them is anything special)

Disagree. We play Chicago twice, which I could easily see two losses there, Carolina is very good, Jacksonville is good, hell I don't think we're much better than the Saints. When you can't stop the run and you can't run, and you're consistently getting beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball, any team can and will knock you off no matter what their record is. I'm predicting a 7-9 record at this point. 8-8 maybe, but unlikely.
I forgot about Carolina even though they're probably the best team we play..haha..my bad..It's at home though so that helps..Delhomme threw 4 INTs yesterday and they only reason they won was they were playing Oakland..So anything can happen. Jacksonville and New Orleans are both 4-5 so they're obviously beatable..I don't think that highly of Chicago and if this team can get their shit together they can beat them twice..

mngolf19
11-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Yeah the Vikings didn't impress me much. (no offense Ras). They should of blown us out of the water yesterday. Their front 7 is very good, and AP is AP, but their pass D is weak, the QB play is atrocious, the Williams boys are going to be lost soon, and their head coach is an idiot. The Vikes may win the division or the Packers may win the division, but whoever does isn't going to do a damn thing in the playoffs with the weaknesses both teams have.

I would agree that the Vikes turnovers and ST's are keeping teams in the game week to week, but to say their pass D is weak? The Pack didn't get much yardage passing and was 1 for 11 I think on 3rd down. I know lots of people on here were saying that Tenn didn't impress them last week either but they are 9-0. There are no dominating teams this year, but maybe some that are more consistent at least. The Vikes strengths and weaknesses have been consistent I can tell you that much.

Cheesehead Craig
11-10-2008, 09:57 AM

Living here in MN, I can say that there would have been a massive call for his head. He's still on the hot seat, but it's been turned down just a bit for now.

Cheesehead Craig
11-10-2008, 09:59 AM

I'm guessing you have said this about every Vikes coach? Not that I have much good to say about Childress either. But what about your coach?
Dola,
MM hasn't done much for anyone to gloat about him over Chilly this season.

sharpe1027
11-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm guessing you have said this about every Vikes coach?

Would he have been wrong? :?:

Pacopete4
11-10-2008, 10:02 AM

I would agree that the Vikes turnovers and ST's are keeping teams in the game week to week, but to say their pass D is weak? The Pack didn't get much yardage passing and was 1 for 11 I think on 3rd down. I know lots of people on here were saying that Tenn didn't impress them last week either but they are 9-0. There are no dominating teams this year, but maybe some that are more consistent at least. The Vikes strengths and weaknesses have been consistent I can tell you that much. mngolf.. dont waste ur time.. no matter what u say most people here wont give the vikes credit here, hell they wont even give the titans cred and they have more wins than we will all yr.. the vikes beat us up bad yesterday whether the scoreboard said so or not, congrats

3irty1
11-10-2008, 10:28 AM
You know last year when the Packers embarrassed the Vikings with a shutout, the Vikings bounced back in a big way and won five straight. That could be the Packers story this year.

Patler
11-10-2008, 10:56 AM
I think the Vikings are on a roll, because:

Their running game is a real strength.
Frerotte has made their passing game good enough to not be ignored.
Their D-line is starting to come together very, very well.
When the D-line plays that well, their good linebackers are even better.
Possible D-backfield weaknesses are covered up by the front 7.
Simply put, they are winning games. They could have tanked it yesterday, but didn't.

I think the Vikings have the best shot right now. They have some strengths that can dominate a game on both sides of the ball. I don't see the Packers or Bears having that on either side of the ball. Neither defense is play well, and their offenses are inconsistent.

cpk1994
11-10-2008, 11:08 AM

I'm guessing you have said this about every Vikes coach? Not that I have much good to say about Childress either. But what about your coach?Considering our coach has made the playoffs(the NFC title game at that), and Childress hasn't, even with all the talent that Ziggy has bought him. I give McCarthy a little more slack for now.

Zool
11-10-2008, 11:12 AM

Need I bring up Mike Tice? Or Les Steckel?

cpk1994
11-10-2008, 11:15 AM

Need I bring up Mike Tice? Or Les Steckel?or Jerry Burns?

Tony Oday
11-10-2008, 11:39 AM
The Pack need to stop with the damn penalties! They are killing us. The false start and AR throws a perfect pass to Jennings. The Leber makes a GREAT play getting a hand on the ball when it was going to DD which would have been 6 easy.

Grant looked decent yesterday and we should have won the game save for a dubious saftey call and usually reliable Crosby missing just wide. That has been our year so far just wide.

Lets get it rolling in the last half of the season...or mail it in so we get a great draft pick :) lol

mngolf19
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM

I'm guessing you have said this about every Vikes coach? Not that I have much good to say about Childress either. But what about your coach?Considering our coach has made the playoffs(the NFC title game at that), and Childress hasn't, even with all the talent that Ziggy has bought him. I give McCarthy a little more slack for now.

I'm not going there, but you had a HOF at QB. What at this point would you jump on McCarthy for? Just asking not trying to start anything. Since you have him locked up in an extension now, it would seem you made your investment in him and will have to live with whatever happens for awhile. Vikes can be free of Chilly in 2 years I think.

mngolf19
11-10-2008, 11:44 AM

Actually, Tice had to deal with a POS owner who wouldn't help him out in the least. So I can't make a fair assessment of him.

mngolf19
11-10-2008, 11:45 AM

Need I bring up Mike Tice? Or Les Steckel?or Jerry Burns?

I actually liked him.

Zool
11-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Actually, Tice had to deal with a POS owner who wouldn't help him out in the least. So I can't make a fair assessment of him.

Did the owner force the Randy Ratio on him?

sharpe1027
11-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Where is he now? That's a pretty objective assessment made by people who get paid to assess.

Rastak
11-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Zool, he came up with that immediately upon getting his first head coaching job at ANY level. He admitted he was wrong. The dude made lots of mistakes but seemed to be learning from them.

Don't you think it's rather common for a guy who never was a head coach to make some mistakes? Was McCarthy mistake free in year one? This year?

Zool
11-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Zool, he came up with that immediately upon getting his first head coaching job at ANY level. He admitted he was wrong. The dude made lots of mistakes but seemed to be learning from them.

Don't you think it's rather common for a guy who never was a head coach to make some mistakes? Was McCarthy mistake free in year one? This year?

No every coach screws up, but thats one of the dumbest things of all time from a HC. How could you even start to defend it? That would be like me defending the hiring of ray Rhodes.

Patler
11-10-2008, 12:23 PM

His only real mistake was in talking about it to the point of "formalizing" it. I suspect most coaches who have a game changing player have an idea in mind of how often they want to go to him. Nothing wrong with that.

Rastak
11-10-2008, 12:26 PM

No every coach screws up, but thats one of the dumbest things of all time from a HC. How could you even start to defend it? That would be like me defending the hiring of ray Rhodes.

Not even close to the dumbest thing I've ever seen in the NFL. He came up with that in the summer before he ever coached a game. I thought it was dumb, he ended up realizing it and put an end to it. Actually, the idea of getting Moss the ball was perfectly fine, publicly declaring and trying to enforce a certain number of plays was stupid. Coaches all the time try and feed certain players the ball, while not really declaring a certain number of touches publicly. I think the game situations should dictate so I'm not a fan of that either.

mngolf19
11-10-2008, 01:14 PM

Where is he now? That's a pretty objective assessment made by people who get paid to assess.

He's asst head coach at Jax.