PDA

View Full Version : Draft this year?

Tony Oday
11-10-2008, 11:42 AM
What do we need?

I mean do we spend more draft picks on the offensive and defensive lines again or do we trade up to get a great pick on a "can't miss" pick and sign some other FAs in the offseason?

I mean I understand what TT has done by remaking this team as a younger version of 2005 however we are eventually going to need some veteran leadership...thoughts?

MadScientist
11-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Punter

Tony Oday
11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Never even thought about that. Punter would be nice...do we need a long snapper too?

Ballboy
11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Shavon Green, RB Iowa.

Runs in a ZBS(its here to stay) and has speed. Not a Iowa fan, but vs. WI and Penn State looked really good.......his other games he has also gained 100+ each game.

Badgerinmaine
11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Punter
Agreed that a new punter makes sense--but let's not spend a third rounder on one again :)
Crosby has been a terrific kicker overall in spite of the miss yesterday, and he was a sixth rounder. You can probably find a good punter in the last two rounds, too.

Tony Oday
11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
What I am also looking for this year in the draft is a general shift from rebuilding young talent to less picks but higher picks...anyone else see this happening?

AV David
11-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I was thinking quality over quantity too. We have a lot of picks.

At least a third for Favre and a reasonable possibility of a 2. Being an optimist, I will take the 2.

So we have

1,2,2,3,4,5,6,6 and maybe a 7 depending whether #4 retires again or not. I would trade up using the 4, 5 and a 6. If there was really something to get, I would use one of the 2s and the 3 as well. I would use the remaining 6 AND the 7 to draft punters. Then I would sign every decent UDFA punter I could find. I was at the game on Sunday, Frost is horrible.

Then I would draft heavy on the O line and D line. In my view, the lines are what is holding them back.

red
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
i thought TT would do quality over quantity last this year after the amount of young guys he added the previous 2 years. but then he traded down

and he will continue to trade down. we will continue to be the youngest team in the nfl for the next 7 years

we will also be relegated to a farm team

steve823
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
dont start this dam draft talk aalready the season isnt over. besdies its clear we need to fix our lines

Tony Oday
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Why not talk about the future as well as the current season? Thats what a message board is about.

I didn't realize we had that many picks. Think we can parlay some of the picks into veteran players?

rbaloha1
11-10-2008, 04:57 PM
1. Pass Rushing DE
2. DT
3. O-Lineman that fit the scheme
4. LB depth

Tony Oday
11-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Do we really need more LBs?

1. Pass Rush DE to compliment KAMP and Jenkins
2. DT
3. O line all along it
4. RB a burner for a change of pace
5. DT
6. Punter
7. Defensive Secondary Coach...can you draft them? ;)

Kyle.McCarroll
11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Do we really need more LBs?

1. Pass Rush DE to compliment KAMP and Jenkins
2. DT
3. O line all along it
4. RB a burner for a change of pace
5. DT
6. Punter
7. Defensive Secondary Coach...can you draft them? ;)

You have to be kidding. The defensive secondary is one of the reasons we aren't 2-7 or 1-8.

red
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
the one problem i have with drafting all d-line and o-line, is the TT sure as hell doesn't look like he has a clue how to draft linemen

i sure would hate to waste 12 draft picks

rbaloha1
11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
[quote="Tony Oday"]Do we really need more LBs?

Yes.

1. Nick Barnett's status is unknown
2. When does Hawk's contract end? Unsure if Hawk is worth resigning
3. BP is around 30 or more
4. LBs are always needed for special teams.
5. Which of the young lbs look like they are taking the next step i.e. Nick Collins, Tramon Williams, Greg Jennings?

channtheman
11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
What I am also looking for this year in the draft is a general shift from rebuilding young talent to less picks but higher picks...anyone else see this happening?

You mean TT actually trading UP?! I would love to see us grab 6-7 linemen (offense and defense) and have all of them able to contribute soon. We have a team other than the lines on both sides of the ball. Fix that and we're gold. However, TT won't do that. I bet we pick around 15 guys and hopefully some of them can be just crappy enough to stick around.

red
11-10-2008, 05:16 PM
who needs starters? we need more special teams players and depth

Fred's Slacks
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
TT doesn't take quantity over quality. He's said numerous times he only trades down if he can get the same quality as sticking where he's at. If there are a number of similarly graded players available then he will consider the trade down to add picks. Obviously his trading partner disagrees with his evaluation of the board at that time. So he could be wrong but he's never made the conscious decision to go with quantity over quality.

I would love to see us bolster the offensive and defensive lines in the next draft. Especially the oline. I am reluctant however because we have already invested a number of draft picks there and we still don't have even an average oline. Leads me to believe there is a problem with the coaching at that position. The biggest problem this year has been Clifton's inconsistency. He has shut down Allen (week one) and Freeny only to get abused against Tampa, Atlanta and Allen (week ten). He's like colledge las year except possibly worse. Either way, TT will pick the BPA on his board so who knows.

RashanGary
11-10-2008, 06:08 PM
LT
DE
any OL
CB
any DL

RashanGary
11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
TT doesn't take quantity over quality. He's said numerous times he only trades down if he can get the same quality as sticking where he's at. If there are a number of similarly graded players available then he will consider the trade down to add picks. Obviously his trading partner disagrees with his evaluation of the board at that time. So he could be wrong but he's never made the conscious decision to go with quantity over quality.

I would love to see us bolster the offensive and defensive lines in the next draft. Especially the oline. I am reluctant however because we have already invested a number of draft picks there and we still don't have even an average oline. Leads me to believe there is a problem with the coaching at that position. The biggest problem this year has been Clifton's inconsistency. He has shut down Allen (week one) and Freeny only to get abused against Tampa, Atlanta and Allen (week ten). He's like colledge las year except possibly worse. Either way, TT will pick the BPA on his board so who knows.

Good post.

Tony Oday
11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Shitty is just being covered up by the fact that he has awesome players.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-10-2008, 08:44 PM

When did Collins and Bigby become awesome players?

Tony Oday
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
This year.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
This year.

Under whose coaching?

The Gunshooter
11-10-2008, 10:31 PM
GB needs everything except more fucking receivers who Rodgers can't stand still long enough to get the ball to anyway.

RashanGary
11-11-2008, 07:27 AM
There is an OT named Jason Smith from Baylor who is being projected in the middle/late round 1 now. He's not huge (6'4" 300) but is said to have all of the skills needed to pass protect and is a good run blocker in their zone scheme.

You hate to start a smallish rookie at LT in the NFL. He'll probably need a full year to build NFL strength. If we drafted this kid maybe we could go Colledge/Barbre for a year or Barbre/Colledge to avoid putting a rookie on the field at such an important position.

Regardless, it would be very comforting to have a LT in the wings. I'll feel a lot better about our run game as soon as we get rid of Clifton and Wells. Wells will be easy to replace. As soon as Sitton gets an offseason in we can slide Spitz over and never look back. LT is a little tougher. We're going to need something substantial at that position.

RashanGary
11-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Then there is a DE named Greg Hardy. He's had some nagging injuries this year, but when I looked through the highlight videos of the top DE's he seems to have the best blend of power and speed. He's been a very productive SEC player. He does have some character concerns and TT hasn't taken a bad character guy early yet. His game is impressive though. The other top DE's are speed guys and their speed isn't even that impressive. Hardy is just as quick off the ball as Selvie or Johnson but he's also bigger and stronger.

GBRulz
11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
TT should not be allowed to draft anything besides OL and DL

Spaulding
11-11-2008, 09:55 AM
TT should not be allowed to draft anything besides OL and DL

I respectfully disagree. Although I understand your basis for this given the fact they are the currently the weak links on the team, he hasn't exactly shown a knack for drafting in this area.

I say TT should continue to draft for the other areas and use free agency to shore up the trenches.

GrnBay007
11-11-2008, 10:16 AM
:laugh:
use free agency

....sorry, couldn't help myself. :oops: :P

GBRulz
11-11-2008, 11:12 AM
use free agency

LOL - my thoughts exactly.

mraynrand
11-11-2008, 11:56 AM

When did Collins and Bigby become awesome players?

Bigby is awesome?

Gunakor
11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
use free agency

LOL - my thoughts exactly.

TT won't pay Alan Faneca or Steve Hutchinson type money in FA, and I can't say I blame him too much for that. He's gone to FA a time or two during his time here. But only for a player of value at a reasonable cost. If any of those type of players hit the FA market in March, there's no reason to believe that TT won't at least make a bid for their services. He just won't go overboard for anybody.

DonHutson
11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
1. DE (can't assume Jenkins will stay healthy anymore; unless they think Thompson is going to get a whole lot better, they don't have another real option on the roster)

2. OL (but they better pick one (at least) that's already a finished product, 'cause they don't improve any once they get here)

3. RB (forget change of pace, let Grant be the change of pace to an all around back who can run, catch, and block)

4. DT (on paper this seems like a solid unit, but lack of discipline is killing the run D and it needs to be addressed on both DL positions)

5. TE (wouldn't count out an off-season trade for a disgruntled playmaking TE - Gonzales? Winslow? - but they're not getting enough from the position)

6. CB (we've got three if Harris stays on his game, but he's getting older and more fragile - maybe Blackmon and Lee step up, but they aren't there yet)

Kyle.McCarroll
11-11-2008, 01:53 PM
This year.

Under whose coaching?

OHHHH BURNNNNN!

packers11
11-11-2008, 02:36 PM
rnd #

1 guard
2 DT
2 DE
3 SLB
4 guard
5 cb
6 punter

DonHutson
11-11-2008, 02:54 PM
2 DT
2 DE

Go Jets.

Gunakor
11-11-2008, 05:36 PM
1. BPA
2. BPA
2. BPA
3. BPA
4. BPA
5. BPA
6. BPA
6. BPA
7. Trade for a 6th in the 2010 draft.

That sounds more like TT's style.

Rastak
11-11-2008, 05:43 PM
1. BPA
2. BPA
2. BPA
3. BPA
4. BPA
5. BPA
6. BPA
6. BPA

Problem with that is you might end up weith:

1. WR
2. WR
3. QB
4. WR
5. TE
6. LB
7. no trading partners.

I agree with BPA most of the time but if it's an area you don't need and it isn't an upgrade, best to look a spot or two down the board.

That does sound a bit like TT....BPA no matter what.

Gunakor
11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
1. BPA
2. BPA
2. BPA
3. BPA
4. BPA
5. BPA
6. BPA
6. BPA

1. WR
2. WR
3. QB
4. WR
5. TE
6. LB
7. no trading partners.

I agree with BPA most of the time but if it's an area you don't need and it isn't an upgrade, best to look a spot or two down the board.

If he can get equal quality by trading down, he's FAMOUS for doing so. He does take team need into consideration, but he's not going to pass up a quality guy at any position if it will make the team better.

Partial
11-11-2008, 05:52 PM
1. BPA
2. BPA
2. BPA
3. BPA
4. BPA
5. BPA
6. BPA
6. BPA

1. WR
2. WR
3. QB
4. WR
5. TE
6. LB
7. no trading partners.

Agreed 100% with Ras' post.

Rastak
11-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Gunk, I like a 7 for a 6 next year myself.

I'd do that all the time unless there was someone I really wanted and didn't think he'd last till undrafted free agency.