PDA

View Full Version : "The Big Show" is speculating Barnett will lineup

Partial
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Sorry about the misleading title, it cut off the rest of my statement.

When healthy next year, WSSP is speculating that Nick Barnett will be lining up outside next year...

in...

wait for it... wait for it...

a 3-4 defense! They suspect we will be looking for a new defensive coordinator next year and will likely transition to the 3-4.

I'm not sure that I agree with this because I don't think we have the personal to do it. Kampman is one of our best players and does not really fit in anywhere in the 3-4.

Jenklns and Cole could play the end spots in the 3-4. Harrell and Pickett could play the nose tackle spots.

Hawk and Bishop would be inside imo. Chillar and Barnett would be the OLBs.

red
11-10-2008, 04:00 PM
theres been some that were hoping for that change last year when we had hawk hodge barnett and popinga

with our lack of d-line talent maybe it might work

of course it also looks like we're lacking at LB talent too

theres also been a lot of talk in the past about barnett outside too

popingna might also be good in the middle IMO

Gunakor
11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Kampy could play OLB in a 3-4. What we'd need are more of the bigger DT types. If we had 3 capable DT's to play the line in a 3-4, we could have Kampy playing rush OLB on one side and either Chillar or Pop on the other side and Barnett + Hawk in the middle.

Or we can do what we've always done, and just draft somebody...

Partial
11-10-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't think I'd want Kampman on the edge.

His contract is up after next year, but you don't want to let a guy like that go.

Pacopete4
11-10-2008, 04:11 PM
awesome.. lets change from the west coast to the wing T too..

all it is, is a cop out for TT to cover up his shittiness as a GM in getting lineman

mraynrand
11-10-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't think there is a single LB on the entire roster who can rush the passer.

rbaloha1
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
This is nonsense.

The scheme is fine. Players are missing too many tackles. Lets wait to end of the season to start about changing schemes.

Agreed Barnett should be on the outside with Poppinga in the middle.

Kyle.McCarroll
11-10-2008, 05:38 PM
If this happened, Kampman may be a Cap Casualty. Let's face it, we are going to lose some guys.

packers11
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Don't think it will happen...

Harrell/Jolly would be instantly cut...

Pickett could be the NT, Jenkins could be an end...

We just don't have the personal the run the 3-4...

Zool
11-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Cole and Montgomery are big enough to be ends in a 3-4 prolly. Pickett could play the nose. Harrell could play the nose if he bothered to stay on the field and out of the training room. Kampy would actually be the odd man out.

red
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Cole and Montgomery are big enough to be ends in a 3-4 prolly. Pickett could play the nose. Harrell could play the nose if he bothered to stay on the field and out of the training room. Kampy would actually be the odd man out.

we'll have jenkins back next year

he should be a perfect DE for the 3-4

Partial
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Monty is way too light in the ass. He could bulk up though ala Kampman several years back when he was a big SOB.

Cole could play end. Jason Hunter would probably play outside LB.

Deputy Nutz
11-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Its not so much if the Packers switch to a 3-4 or stay in a 4-3, what they need is a little flexibility and multiple front look. No matter what they always have 4 down linemen, and they seem to play a load of nickel.

Anyways, in a 3-4 you can make use of all the above players although in different spots and different points in the game calling for a certain scheme.

Packer players in a 3-4 scheme

Hawk - most likely one of the two inside positions

Barnett - well he has to be able to shed blockers in a 3-4, maybe outside, maybe inside.

Poppinga - outside, mostly for pass rushing, I can't even see playing him on running downs, he takes bad angles and misses way to many arm tackles because of positioning.

Chillar - still flexible, although I could see him getting most of his reps on the inside.

Bishop - If he makes the team next year he will be on the inside

Kampman - this is where it gets interesting, he could bulk up an play end. He is around 270 and if he puts on ten pounds which might be unlikely at this point in his career, I see him as a hybrid linebacker/end. I don't think he plays 90% of the snaps like this year but he still stays on the field 75% of the time.

Pickett - here is a guy that was all world last year, this year just a fat guy. I think if the Packers keep him and if they switch to the 3-4 he is a nosetackle all the way.

Jolly - he is really athletic for such a big man and can make plays in space. I see him either at end or at nose.

Cole - Is on the shorter side, and might not have the arm extension to play end in either system. Nosetackle.

Harrell - flexible, not that he will be dominant at this point in his career any where because he is soft, but he could play either position.

Jenkins - Must stay healthy. End

Jason Hunter - Rush linebacker

Montgomery - Doesn't really have a position. To light as an end, not enough athleticism to play as a linebacker, could make the switch to rush linebacker.

Thompson - Much like Montgomery he is a speed rusher who has always played with his hand down. Could move around as a rush backer, or a defensive end. Strictly a pass rusher if he lines up with his hand down.

cpk1994
11-11-2008, 06:34 AM

all it is, is a cop out for TT to cover up his shittiness as a GM in getting lineman :bs2:

I know you hate TT, but quit brining him in to every thread just to bash him. In other words show me proof that TT is considering this or STFU.
This is baseless speculation and made up BS from some podunk radio show.

RashanGary
11-11-2008, 07:39 AM
wrong thread

Deputy Nutz
11-11-2008, 06:01 PM

all it is, is a cop out for TT to cover up his shittiness as a GM in getting lineman :bs2:

I know you hate TT, but quit brining him in to every thread just to bash him. In other words show me proof that TT is considering this or STFU.
This is baseless speculation and made up BS from some podunk radio show.

Awesome comment. You should go on Jay Leno or something.