PDA

View Full Version : Iowa doesnt have to suck!

]{ilr]3
11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I have been working on building a new garage for the past year and finally have it far enough along to consider it a real Man Cave! 8-) Living in NW Iowa there just isnt much for a Packers fan to do as this area is horribly infected with Vikings fans :lol:

I had about 10 guys over this weekend to watch the Packers vs. Vikings game. Even though we lost it was a really great time. I was cooking most of the time so I didn’t have a lot of time to get into the game, which is probably a good thing since all my Friends are Vikings fans and I probably would have punched one of them! Yep, not a single Packers fan in the neighborhood! :cry: (For the most part we stay civil)

As far as my setup goes I can take advantage of the full width of the screen when watching movies that use Anamorphic Widescreen and have 108" of screen real estate! When watching something that uses 16:9 ratio (which what the HD Broadcast is) I get around 96" screen. I also have a decent 5.1 Sound system that can rumble the concrete floor pretty good as well.

On Halloween we had all the neighborhood kids over and played Wii games on it and then watched the movie "Monster House".

Over all its a pretty decent setup that I don’t have much more than $1000 invested in.

I didnt do a very good job converting these images. I compressed the hell out of them but I didnt change the resolution. They arent all that good looking and they will take up the entire screen, so I will post them as links instead of images in the post.

So even though I have only made it to Green Bay once, I can still enjoy a Packers game here in Iowa :)

http://usera.ImageCave.com/KilrB/IMG_1917.jpg

http://usera.ImageCave.com/KilrB/IMG_1926.jpg

http://usera.ImageCave.com/KilrB/IMG_1928.jpg

http://usera.ImageCave.com/KilrB/IMG_1936.jpg

Rastak
11-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Sounds like a helluva time!

]{ilr]3
11-11-2008, 06:42 PM

It was. It made the loss easier to handle as well. When I have sit and watch games alone I tend to just keep getting more and more pissed when the Packers dont play well :lol:

So having friends (even Vikings friends) over makes even a loss a worth while venture.

Although I really would have loved to jump up from my chair and go HA! :lol: If they had won. Oh well, maybe next year, or maybe they will meet in the playoffs again this year for some packback :wink:

mraynrand
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
{ilr]3]Living in NW Iowa there just isnt much for a Packers fan to do as this area is horribly infected with Vikings fans :lol:

NW Iowa - gotta love it. I used to live in Cherokee. Wasn't much to do but putter around at Storm Lake or in the Little Sioux River. Or plow the fields with the Timmermans! Good place to be a kid, but man, in the 70s all we got on the tube were Dolphins and Steelers and Cowboys - Bleech!

Nice start to the man cave. Be careful with the ventilation!

mraynrand
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
{ilr]3]

It was. It made the loss easier to handle as well. When I have sit and watch games alone I tend to just keep getting more and more pissed when the Packers dont play well :lol:

So having friends (even Vikings friends) over makes even a loss a worth while venture.

Although I really would have loved to jump up from my chair and go HA! :lol: If they had won. Oh well, maybe next year, or maybe they will meet in the playoffs again this year for some packback :wink:

This is what happens to my TV when I watch Packer losses alone:
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/brokenTV18.jpg

Freak Out
11-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Man cave! Nice setup dude. OSB is always a nice touch. Be careful cooking though...fire and asphyxiation are not fun! Get a nice Nodor dart board and a party pig and you are set!

Congrats.

red
11-11-2008, 07:28 PM
that looks like the ultimate mans dream

but wheres the stripper poll?

MadtownPacker
11-11-2008, 08:35 PM
The toolbox next to the kick ass screen is a nice touch. Shit is gonna be pimping when you are finished.

]{ilr]3
11-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Its not completely hillbilly holler around here the way I make it sound :)

I live just 15mins from the Iowa Great Lakes (LOL, really that’s what they call it, the biggest one is 5 miles across! :shock: ) However it’s a huge vacation area and Lake Okoboji has some insane property values.

My wife probably wouldn’t go for a stripper pole. :lol: She is out there as much as I am and she wont be hopping on one anytime soon. :?:

Next year I plan to do some painting. We'll see how crazy I get. I got some good packer schemes I thought would go really well. Just have to cautious about how crazy I get. Like I said this is Viking country and I wouldn’t want to kill my houses resell value with an over the top Packers theme! :lol:

I am not too concerned about asphyxiation. Those camp stoves are pretty efficient burning white gas and hardly use any fuel. The ceiling fans are always running and the woodburner move a lot of air out. All the guys drinking beer the doors are opened every 5 mins. Plus I built the damn thing, how air tight can it be? :lol:

Freak Out
11-11-2008, 09:18 PM
{ilr]3]Plus I built the damn thing, how air tight can it be? :lol:

:lol:

My brother inlaw hails from Lake Okoboji..well he spent his summers there.