PDA

View Full Version : head of officials: AP should have been flagged

red
11-12-2008, 10:45 AM
from pft

NON-CALL ON PETERSON HELMET REMOVAL “FRUSTRATES” PEREIRA
Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2008, 11:27 a.m.

During a Wednesday morning interview on Sirius NFL Radio, NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira took issue with the failure of the officiating crew to flag Vikings running back Adrian Peterson for unsportsmanlike conduct for removing his helmet after scoring what turned out to be the game-winning touchdown against the Packers on Sunday.

“I can’t figure out why anything wasn’t done about that,” Pereira told Randy Cross and Peter King, “but I will say this: It frustrates me that we didn’t do anything about that. You can’t take your helmet off either to argue a call or to celebrate. If you’re in a time out period or a measurement or a challenge there are times when you can take your helmet off on the field. Or when you’re nearing your team area when you approach the bench. But when you score like that, when you remove your helmet you should be flagged. Or when you take off your helmet to argue with the officials you should be flagged, too, and it frustrates me, quite frankly, that we didn’t do that.”

Wow.

We appreciate the candor, especially since the question has been so hotly debated since we posted an item regarding the non-call. Nearly 150 comments have been generated, and we’ve got a feeling that a few more will be attached to this posting as well.

Clearly, the Vikings avoided a major problem on this one. If Minnesota had kicked off from their own 15 while leading the game by one point with more than two minutes to play, chances are that game-winning field goal attempt would have been launched closer than 52 yards from the goal post.

HarveyWallbangers
11-12-2008, 10:48 AM
It doesn't really matter to me. It's not like we did anything to deserve those 15 yards that he should have been penalized.

dabootski
11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
what is the actual reasoning behind this rule anyway? is it a safety concern? or a good sportsmanship issue? i've never understood why something like this would be worthy of a 15-yard penalty.

cpk1994
11-12-2008, 11:01 AM
what is the actual reasoning behind this rule anyway? is it a safety concern? or a good sportsmanship issue? i've never understood why something like this would be worthy of a 15-yard penalty.Its a sportsmanship rule insituated after a rash of players hot dogging and celebrating by taking their helmets off.

Rastak
11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
He did it four times during the game so I would assume if they had flagged him the first time he'd have stopped doing it and it wouldn't have come into play at the end of the game.

They've been really inconsistent on calling this. I saw it flagged this weekend and last weekend I saw it not flagged. The refs need to get their act straight.

Brando19
11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
There were a few crappy calls during the game...but I think it's time to let this one go. What if they would have flagged Brett Favre during the Super Bowl when he threw the TD and took his helmet off running off the field? They didn't.

Zool
11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
There were a few crappy calls during the game...but I think it's time to let this one go. What if they would have flagged Brett Favre during the Super Bowl when he threw the TD and took his helmet off running off the field? They didn't.

It wasnt a rule then.

digitaldean
11-12-2008, 11:22 AM

It didn't become a penalty until a season or two after that.....

PackerTimer
11-12-2008, 11:46 AM

I don't actually think that rule was in existance at the time so Favre couldn't have been penalized.

Edit: What they said.

But that's beside the point because I 100% agree with you. This is a non-issue to me. These aren't the types of penalties that should decide games.

MOBB DEEP
11-12-2008, 11:50 AM
doesnt bother me when players do that (i like seein their expressions anyway) altho i guess the rule is for safety purposes..

kinda irrelevant in this case like harv said though

Pack-man
11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
"Emmitt Smith" helmet rule - A player cannot remove his helmet on the field unless it is to adjust his equipment. This rule is dubbed the "Emmitt Smith rule" because Smith, who holds the record for most rushing touchdowns, was famous for ripping off his helmet to celebrate a touchdown. This rule was enacted to quell excessive celebrations. The team of the offending player is assessed a 15-yard penalty

bobblehead
11-12-2008, 01:04 PM
"Emmitt Smith" helmet rule - A player cannot remove his helmet on the field unless it is to adjust his equipment. This rule is dubbed the "Emmitt Smith rule" because Smith, who holds the record for most rushing touchdowns, was famous for ripping off his helmet to celebrate a touchdown. This rule was enacted to quell excessive celebrations. The team of the offending player is assessed a 15-yard penalty

they named emmit, but brett played a role as well. Guys were trying to make their face more recognizeable by pulling off the helmet and celebrating....emmit was actually posing. By improving recognition it would enhance the offseason marketability so emmit, brett and others were being instructed by agents to get the helmet off. The NFL finally put an end to it for a multitude of reasons, safety and sportsmanship mainly amongst them.