PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Starting at MLB?

chain_gang
11-12-2008, 12:15 PM
From Green Bay Press Gazette:

Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Practice notes: Hawk at MLB
The Packers today worked A.J. Hawk at middle linebacker in place of the injured Nick Barnett and had Brandon Chillar at Hawk's old weak-side position. Brady Poppinga stayed at the strong-side spot.

More details to come.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

I'm all for it, let's see what Hawk can do in at the playmaker position of the Packer LB core. Maybe it'll help cover up the injuries that have seem to have taken a toll on him this season.

Zool
11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Guess we get to find out of Hawk is more effective at shedding blockers at the point than Samurai Nick is.

Tony Oday
11-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Big game then for sure for Hawk. I love it! Lets put 9 in the box: 4 LB 4 DL and 1 SS and DARE Sexy to beat us.

Gunakor
11-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Don't know if this is better than having Bishop start at MLB, but couldn't imagine how it could be worse. Bishop is a hitter, and I always get pumped when he lays the lumber on someone, but I don't trust him in pass coverage and he seems to get himself turned around alot. To those who have argued for a couple years that Hawk needs to play in the middle, now we shall see.

I think the best part of this news is that Chillar will be on the field much more often, as he's been maybe the best playmaker in that entire LB corps recently. His absence in last Sunday's game was evident. It'll be great to get him back and to keep him on the field.

KYPack
11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I didn't think they'd do it that way.

Hawk didn't even play Mike at OSU, Barbi Carpenter and Schlegel played Mike there.

Also, isn't Chillar dinged? He was inactive for the Viking game. In that set, would Pop do the cover or Chillar?

We got to compensate for the injuries, hope we can pull it off.

Gunakor
11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Big game then for sure for Hawk. I love it! Lets put 9 in the box: 4 LB 4 DL and 1 SS and DARE Sexy to beat us.

Careful what you wish for. Granted the Bears don't have any kind of a passing attack, but Rex has burned us before. I'd be okay with 7 in the box, but I like having both safeties over the top in case either Woodson or Harris get a bad jam at the line and can't recover.

Tony Oday
11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
We have been but he is rusty and his teams offense is predicated by the run. Stop the run stop the bears.

Harlan Huckleby
11-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I didn't think they'd do it that way.

ya, I don't like the smell of this move. Hawk does not seem like a middle linebacker to me. I thought Poppinga (I almost called him "Noble") would hold-up better inside.

But who knows? We may even discover that inside is BETTER for Hawk.

Patler
11-12-2008, 12:50 PM
I know they always want the best on the field, but I worry a little when one guy being out causes two changes to be made.

KYPack
11-12-2008, 12:58 PM
I know they always want the best on the field, but I worry a little when one guy being out causes two changes to be made.

Same here.

They must have saw some bad action on the Viking tape. Bishop made some solid plays and did some scary stuff. He reacts well, but also makes some foolish reads.

privatepacker
11-12-2008, 02:02 PM
No matter who is in the middle, if a 300# blocker is in his belly, he won't be very effective.
Another issue...ever notice how far back our LB line up compared to all other teams?

chain_gang
11-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I can see giving Hawk somes reps at MLB, I believe he would be an upgrade over Bishop. It's also allows our best 3 LB's on the field. While some may say Bishop is better than Hawk vs. the run, take a look at Peterson's last TD run, B gap was Bishop's responsibility, on the play, instead he shot up the cutback lane, where if he sticks with his B gap assignment, he makes a hit on AP for a 3 or 4 yard gain. So while Bishop did make a key Fourth down stop on Peterson, he was a big reason in giving up 14 pts to the Vikings running backs. Poppinga also eliminated himself from the play, but I think he was outside containment, and Kampy just got completely wiped out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxG3bMgshws&eurl=http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

It's at around 2:20 in the video, you can see Bishop starting to his gap assignment, and then stop and try to take away the cutback lane.

Zool
11-12-2008, 02:41 PM
That is a frustrating thing to watch. Pop is either out of position or over pursuing on so many plays. At the 1:30 mark Hawk has outside contain and Pop runs right behind Hawk and Peterson cuts back for a big gain.

Partial
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
He's not going to be as effective as he could be. He's a shadow of his healthy self.

Deputy Nutz
11-12-2008, 03:09 PM
That means Poppinga is going to be on the field.

I thought Hawk looked like a Middle linebacker in college. The Buckeyes played a 4-3 but a lot of times Carpenter would walk up over the tight end and Hawk and that other guy would be over the guards. I thought that coming out Hawk was going to struggle in space and holding the edge against pulling guards.

Patler
11-12-2008, 03:14 PM
He's not going to be as effective as he could be. He's a shadow of his healthy self.

I watched the game this morning, and focused on Hawk when I could see him. I re-ran several plays when he was clearly visible. I don't care what they say about him publicly, his leg or something has to be bothering him. He looked to be absolutely plodding out there sometimes, and has no quickness changing directions.

TheCheese
11-12-2008, 03:28 PM
This is exactly what I was hoping before. Chillar is good on the weak side, Bishop is decent on the strong side but Ive been pulling for Hawk to be moved to the middle since day one. If hes healthy hes going to be real tough to run against.

Brando19
11-12-2008, 06:56 PM
A couple years ago, they wanted to move Hawk to MLB...but Barnett bitched about it (publically) and they kept Barnett at MLB. Maybe they've been hoping for this moment...just not under these circumstances.

wist43
11-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Hawk is JAG (just a guy) on the outside... always thought he should be inside.

That said, this scheme only asks it's LB's to make tackles, not big plays... so moving him won't have much of an impact, even if he were to play better, and be a better fit there.

Hate the scheme, always hated the scheme, will always hate the scheme... unfortunately, they're going to stick with both schemes for the rest of my lifetime, so there's no relief in sight.

Deputy Nutz
11-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Hawk is JAG (just a guy) on the outside... always thought he should be inside.

That said, this scheme only asks it's LB's to make tackles, not big plays... so moving him won't have much of an impact, even if he were to play better, and be a better fit there.

Hate the scheme, always hated the scheme, will always hate the scheme... unfortunately, they're going to stick with both schemes for the rest of my lifetime, so there's no relief in sight.

Gee Wist, I hope you're not dying anytime soon.

Partial
11-12-2008, 09:19 PM

I watched the game this morning, and focused on Hawk when I could see him. I re-ran several plays when he was clearly visible. I don't care what they say about him publicly, his leg or something has to be bothering him. He looked to be absolutely plodding out there sometimes, and has no quickness changing directions.

I believe it was Nutz hit the nail on the head last week. Something about LenDale running at him and Hawk was slow too react. Hawk is normally very quick and light on his feet. I agree that his leg is pretty messed up. That, paired with the chest, and I'm sure a few other aches and pains are really effecting his game. You're right on the money Patler.

Deputy Nutz
11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
It wasn't LenDale, it was the Peterson.

MOBB DEEP
11-13-2008, 05:21 AM
personally i think hawk is HIGHLY overrated; i never liked that pick.....

Pugger
11-13-2008, 06:21 AM
It appears to me that Hawk is still hobbling big time. Before he injured his groin he was playing at a high level but hasn't looked the same since. :( Lord knows if he'll be effective at MLB this week...

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2008, 10:42 AM

I think he is maxed-out at being a pretty good player. And I don't buy that top ten picks have to be pro bowlers to be successes, that's just a hope. He is struggling now, not sure if it is injuries, but he was better last year.

KYPack
11-13-2008, 11:31 AM

I think he is maxed-out at being a pretty good player. And I don't buy that top ten picks have to be pro bowlers to be successes, that's just a hope. He is struggling now, not sure if it is injuries, but he was better last year.

I don't think he'll ever get to the Lance Briggs level, but he is dinged this year with multiple injuries. I think he will be a solid guy for us, but never a league standout or anything like that.

That draft appears to be weak at the top right now.

You've got a lot of guys that are still trying to find their place.

I think Hawk, Vince Young, Davis, Huff will all be stars, but those guys have been mixed so far.

Fritz
11-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I like Hawk but he does seem less effective this year.

Maybe playing him in the middle will be a good thing. I like getting Chillar out there a bit more in terms of pass coverage.

We'll see, I suppose.

Dabaddestbear
11-13-2008, 12:56 PM

Careful what you wish for. Granted the Bears don't have any kind of a passing attack, but Rex has burned us before. I'd be okay with 7 in the box, but I like having both safeties over the top in case either Woodson or Harris get a bad jam at the line and can't recover.
You do know that there is a great chance that Orton will play dont you? And that the the Bears Passing attack and offense is not poor this year. Besides, the Bears are tied with the Packers in scoring and TD's but better in rushing, so that would actually make the Bears offense overall better.
This is not the Bears of yesteryear. If the Bears lose it will be because the defense and those suspect starting CB's didnt show up, not because of the offense.

And even if Rex does start he is 3-0 in GB. and 3-1 total against the Packers. Funny how Packer fans talk so bad about a QB that is always on the winning side of the games when both teams play :roll:

Fritz
11-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Rex Grossman blows!

Gunakor
11-13-2008, 01:43 PM

You do know that there is a great chance that Orton will play dont you? And that the the Bears Passing attack and offense is not poor this year. Besides, the Bears are tied with the Packers in scoring and TD's but better in rushing, so that would actually make the Bears offense overall better.
This is not the Bears of yesteryear. If the Bears lose it will be because the defense and those suspect starting CB's didnt show up, not because of the offense.

And even if Rex does start he is 3-0 in GB. and 3-1 total against the Packers. Funny how Packer fans talk so bad about a QB that is always on the winning side of the games when both teams play :roll:

Did you miss the part in my post where I specifically stated that Rex has burned us before?

I never even brought up Forte and the rushing attack, so I have no clue why you had to mention that in response to my post.

I EMPHASIZED that Rex has had a good record playing the Packers, so you don't really need to rub Rex's success in my face. I AGREE with you. I didn't say anything bad about your QB in this post, rather the opposite. So I have no idea what your snide comment about Packer fans talking about Bear QB's was about anyway, at least in reference to my post that you replied to. Learn to take a damn compliment, because it isn't going to happen that often.

By the way, I'm HOPING that Orton starts this weekend. Rex has burned us in the past, just as Orton has. That was what I was pointing out in my previous post. So those two things being equal, I'd rather face the injured guy.

Dabaddestbear
11-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Did you miss the part in my post where I specifically stated that Rex has burned us before?

I never even brought up Forte and the rushing attack, so I have no clue why you had to mention that in response to my post.

I EMPHASIZED that Rex has had a good record playing the Packers, so you don't really need to rub Rex's success in my face. I AGREE with you. I didn't say anything bad about your QB in this post, rather the opposite. So I have no idea what your snide comment about Packer fans talking about Bear QB's was about anyway, at least in reference to my post that you replied to. Learn to take a damn compliment, because it isn't going to happen that often.

By the way, I'm HOPING that Orton starts this weekend. Rex has burned us in the past, just as Orton has. That was what I was pointing out in my previous post. So those two things being equal, I'd rather face the injured guy.
Hey, it wasnt a snide remark. Sorry man, I am just nervous about Rex starting... :oops:

PS. I dont care if you ever compliment the Bears. I am used to it on here..lol 8-)

TennesseePackerBacker
11-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Any new news on this?

I can't find anything....

b bulldog
11-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Mario Williams was clearly the best Dplayer in the draft. The Texans made the correct move there, without a doubt. Mario this year has 8 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. He is worthy of being the number one overall pick.

b bulldog
11-15-2008, 04:51 PM
23 sacks in the last 25 games

Tony Oday
11-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Im still happy with Hawk at 5.

KYPack
11-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Mario Williams was clearly the best Dplayer in the draft. The Texans made the correct move there, without a doubt. Mario this year has 8 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. He is worthy of being the number one overall pick.

Wondered where you were, Dog.

Williams is a good one. It's between him and Haloti Ngata. Watch Ngata sometime. He's a manbeast at NT. Those two are the best defenders in that draft.

Hawk and Sims have played well, but they aren't difference makers so far.