PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's Crop

jack's smirking revenge
06-29-2006, 09:19 AM
An interesting statement I found on ESPN in regards to next year's free agent market. Looks like building through the draft is the best choice and Thompson is guiding us well. I think human muppet John Clayton is the source...

8. Re-signing starters whose contracts are expiring
Next season is shaping up as the worst free agent year ever. Why? There are fewer than 90 projected starters available now and most teams have $10 million or more in cap room. There is no reason not to get top starters re-signed. Among the most important negotiations coming up are Tony Gonzalez of the Chiefs, Nate Clements of the Bills, Chris Simms of the Bucs, safety Roy Williams of the Cowboys, Dwight Freeney of the Colts, Deion Branch of the Patriots and Lance Briggs of the Bears.

Partial
06-29-2006, 09:21 AM
I saw that as well. However, one could argue we could trade our 6th round pick for Randy Moss. Hell, it isn't correct, but one can argue it. Sadly, someone has.

jack's smirking revenge
06-29-2006, 09:37 AM
I saw that as well. However, one could argue we could trade our 6th round pick for Randy Moss. Hell, it isn't correct, but one can argue it. Sadly, someone has.

LMAO. :D Good one Partial.

tyler

Pack0514
06-29-2006, 09:41 AM
A little research shows that the following Packers are either in the last year of their contract or only signed a 1 year contract last year. I know its very early but its a very slow time of the year for football. Some of these guys wont even be with the team in 2006 but anyways......

A. Green
A. Klemm
R. Gardner
M. Boerigter
J. Wishom
N. Herron
C. Cole
D. Lee
C. White
K. Peterson
D. Martin
K. Allen
B. Taylor
N. Devenport
R. Davis
B. Cundiff
V. Leach
S. Wells
C. Jenkins
J. Horton
T. White
S. Gado
D. Raynor

Source: http://members.cox.net/cappage/

jack's smirking revenge
06-29-2006, 09:47 AM
A little research shows that the following Packers are either in the last year of their contract or only signed a 1 year contract last year. I know its very early but its a very slow time of the year for football. Some of these guys wont even be with the team in 2006 but anyways......

A. Green
A. Klemm
R. Gardner
M. Boerigter
J. Wishom
N. Herron
C. Cole
D. Lee
C. White
K. Peterson
D. Martin
K. Allen
B. Taylor
N. Devenport
R. Davis
B. Cundiff
V. Leach
S. Wells
C. Jenkins
J. Horton
T. White
S. Gado
D. Raynor

Source: http://members.cox.net/cappage/

Looks like the Packers have a good portion of that 90 number.... Some of them will be resigned. Most of them won't.

tyler

Pack0514
06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah out of all those players there are only a few that I would resign at this point. All that may change depending on this year's performence but we'll see.

Sign:

Wells
Cole
Lee

Maybe sign:

Gado
Allen
Herron

I think the rest are just guys who will want more money than they are worth or are easily replacable with draft picks.

Obviously just my opinion.

pittstang5
06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Some of those guys will be restricted or exclusive rights free agents, so they're probably not going anywhere.

jack's smirking revenge
06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
My guess is the majority will be released and TT will strengthen again through the draft, attempting to stockpile picks like he did in 2006. If we have another draft like we did this year, our depth will look a lot stronger.

tyler

Pack0514
06-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Agreed, Hopefully TT (Mr Burns) will be able to work his master plan.... "Excellent"

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7522/mrburnslaughing2ut.gif

Willard
06-29-2006, 11:50 AM
our top4 running backs are only signed through this year (Green, Poopsy, Gado, Herron)?

When was the last time there was so much uncertainty in our running game (besides last season of course)? I am really hoping Green returns to 2003 form (I am also hoping for peace on Earth), but what about the future? The pack seems to have bolstered its depth and youth in the LB, OG, DT units -- but I have no idea who will be running for the Pack in 2007?

In Gado we trust? Not quite yet we don't.

jack's smirking revenge
06-29-2006, 11:59 AM
our top4 running backs are only signed through this year (Green, Poopsy, Gado, Herron)?

When was the last time there was so much uncertainty in our running game (besides last season of course)? I am really hoping Green returns to 2003 form (I am also hoping for peace on Earth), but what about the future? The pack seems to have bolstered its depth and youth in the LB, OG, DT units -- but I have no idea who will be running for the Pack in 2007?

As suggested, there won't be that much talent in the free agency market next year. We're going to have to look to next year's draft for the future. Gado is good, but, like you, I don't think he's the future. To even say Gado is good after seeing him in only a handful of games is a stretch, but a risk I'm willing to take. Just gotta hope he pans out this year. It really could go either way.

tyler

Harlan Huckleby
06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
our top4 running backs are only signed through this year (Green, Poopsy, Gado, Herron)

Is that the good news or the bad news?

Willard
06-29-2006, 01:00 PM
our top4 running backs are only signed through this year (Green, Poopsy, Gado, Herron)

Is that the good news or the bad news?

Good one :lol:

Considering how young and unproven the interior OL is some of these players may be telling their agents, "please don't try to get me a multi-year extension!" :roll:

SD GB fan
06-29-2006, 10:47 PM
good one..TT will keep one or two of those and will draft a RB with number 1 or 2 pick. with ZBS in its second year, they will need fresh blood at RB to dominate for the next few years.

Mazzin
06-29-2006, 11:21 PM
I think this year running the Zone Blocking, will be a little choppy (not firing on all cilinders) But next year i think the line will be more cohesive and better at what they need to do and get a rook in here, we need on Maybe herron, maybe not! but things are looking better

Side note, clifton, and Thausch won't be gettin any younger or less injury prone!

GoPackGo
07-01-2006, 01:17 PM

I'm glad all those guys only have a 1 year deal. (minus Ahman Green who I think should have a roster spot reserved until he retires) Thompson is putting these wannabe starting running backs on notice. "This is your year to show me something or i'll let you go and draft somebody better than you!"

SD GB fan
07-01-2006, 01:21 PM
ya i think they shud resign green to a longer deal. he still got some left in him if he recovers from his injury. plus, he can benefit younger backs and fits as a "packer person"

woodbuck27
07-01-2006, 11:15 PM
ya i think they shud resign green to a longer deal. he still got some left in him if he recovers from his injury. plus, he can benefit younger backs and fits as a "packer person"

It's really a wait and see siuation at RB for TT.We may not see any of OUR top four back next season.

I do like Gado's chances best. This young man really wants to get it done. He has to hang onto the ball in his early starts though. Alot of pressure on him I expect.