PDA

View Full Version : Why McCarthy Has Become Ineffective

Fritz
11-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Since the losing has begun in earnest, several fans and posters have questioned MM's playcalling. Some are suggesting he has become predictable; others that he's lost the "touch" without a certain QB to run the stuff.

But why? Why hasn't he adjusted? One of our Rats seems to have a theory on this:

"M3 has lost his magic. He's very predictable now!!!! Sure, this could turn around and I hope it does. I have a hunch he is spending significantly less time on football now that he has two new girls to take care of. Women are needy. If things don't improve, he isn't the answer as the coach imo."

This would explain the problem, and if adopted as a working hypothesis could explain a number of Packer-related issues:

-TT has drafted well because he is single.

-James Campen must be married and is probably getting laid too much. If his wife would stop all that, he could focus on getting the offensive line to block.

-Kurt Schottenheimer, whose unit is playing great (yes, that's a joke too), must be either divorced or not getting any from his wife. Way to go, Mrs. S!

-And finally, it clear that Vanilla Bob Sanders is not only married, but is likely a polygamist.

The answer is obvious: ban wives, mistresses, and daughters from the lives of ALL PACKER COACHES AND ADMINISTRATORS. In fact, I'm wondering if MJ and her crew are contributing to the constant distractions occurring lately at Packerrats.

Jimx29
11-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I save myself all that amount of typing by saying "Karma's a bitch"

Guiness
11-13-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm going to try and be somewhat serious about this topic. I know, I know, Hoochie Rat posting here likely means this is the entirely wrong thread to do it in :P

My guess is the predictable thing is what is getting him. It has been said that coaching matters more in american football than any other sport.

Because of the nature of football, with a week between games, coaches have an inordinate amount of time to prepare, watch film, etc. No other pro sport league affoards them that. The guys watching the film, studying your game plans are good, and if there's something that can be exploited, they'll find it. For the same reason rookie QB's can have some success, only to fizzle out, coaches can become ineffective after initial success because there is now film on them, and opposing teams can start to find patterns, likes and dislikes in the way they call a game.

Fritz
11-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Good points, Guiness. But wouldn't it be easier to blame it on women?

bobblehead
11-13-2008, 01:37 PM
I think being newly married and having a kid in the house is probably distracting him some. I said it before and ty mocked me saying something like 90% of winning superbowl coaches are married. I did a little research and found that most marrieges in the NFL don't last (yea, i know, most don't last anywhere). I think being in the first year of marriege, kid is born, it can't help but being a distraction in a job that requires 18 hour days.

No matter how you slice it though, successful NFL careers are littered with bad families...just ask andy reid if he was distracted last season.

Fritz
11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
The how about mandating that all Packer coaches and administrators be single?

Gunakor
11-13-2008, 01:51 PM
The how about mandating that all Packer coaches and administrators be single?

Fire everyone but Ted? Funny, I thought most on here thought the unmarried guy was the problem...

Pugger
11-13-2008, 02:00 PM
There is nothing wrong in being predictable. I submit that most opposing coaching staffs know what their peers are trying to do each week. I remember reading Kramer's "Run to Daylight" and he said - and I'm paraphrasing here - their opponents knew what we were gonna do but because we executed our plays so well they couldn't stop it.

The main reason the guys are struggling right now is they aren't playing sound fundimental football, plain and simple. They aren't blocking worth a damn and they can't tackle on D and stop the run. :? And I lay that at the feet of the coaching staff. Until they improve in the basic fundimentals we will continue to be inconsistent. :cry: