PDA

View Full Version : Favre and 13-3

bobblehead
11-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I was looking over BF's wonderful 13-3 season after Mobbs last obnoxious post.

Game 1: BF singlehandedly beat Philadelphia puttting up zero TD's. We won the game later on a second muffed punt. The special teams played really hard out of pure respect for BF...who did nothing in the game.

Game 6: BF tosses a couple picks to be the all time leader, but CWood takes a fumble to the house and picks one off. BF tossed one pick late in the third nursing a 17-14 lead. Good thing he inpired woodson so much.

Game 7: The BF inpired offense puts up a whopping 13 points in regulation mainly due to a blown coverage that JJ took 79 yards. Defense was huge late in the game stopping the broncos on 3rd and 1 to save the game. In OT BF pads his stats on a second blown coverage as Jennings takes one 75 yards to the house....we scored a whopping 19 points.

Game 8: The lowly chiefs play us tough. In the first half with a 6 point lead and time running out BF puts one right on the money to a defender and cheifs get a 7-6 lead into the half. BF does play well in the second half leading 2 TD drives, but in the last 3:05 GB scores 17 points (another pick 6 for CWood)

Game 9: the emergence of Ryan grant. Packers put 14 men in the box and shut down peterson....Rumor is that the vikes had a QB, but you wouldn't know it by all the 3 and outs.

Game 10: BF isn't the oldest guy on the field and his leadership and youth lead the team to a win. Playing against vinny, brett shows how he inspires others...twill returns a punt for a TD, Cory williams is the defensive player of the week and favre/grant stay on the field for something like 60 minutes as vinny is much like tavarius.

Game 12: Dallas...dont' wanna talk about it.

Game 13: All BF against the lowly raiders...except for blackmons 2 TD's and Grants TD.

Game 14: Bigby picks off 2 as we beat the powerhouse rams.

Game 16: Our backups beat the lions...surprise.

Now I realize that without BF we couldn't have possibly been 13-3...he singlehandedly beat so many powerhouse teams that year.

Partial
11-14-2008, 10:00 PM
http://www.cracked.com/video_16786_how-not-get-kiss.html

gex
11-14-2008, 10:12 PM
http://www.cracked.com/video_16786_how-not-get-kiss.html
lol :D

Bretsky
11-14-2008, 10:34 PM
I was looking over BF's wonderful 13-3 season after Mobbs last obnoxious post.

Game 1: BF singlehandedly beat Philadelphia puttting up zero TD's. We won the game later on a second muffed punt. The special teams played really hard out of pure respect for BF...who did nothing in the game.

Game 6: BF tosses a couple picks to be the all time leader, but CWood takes a fumble to the house and picks one off. BF tossed one pick late in the third nursing a 17-14 lead. Good thing he inpired woodson so much.

Game 7: The BF inpired offense puts up a whopping 13 points in regulation mainly due to a blown coverage that JJ took 79 yards. Defense was huge late in the game stopping the broncos on 3rd and 1 to save the game. In OT BF pads his stats on a second blown coverage as Jennings takes one 75 yards to the house....we scored a whopping 19 points.

Game 8: The lowly chiefs play us tough. In the first half with a 6 point lead and time running out BF puts one right on the money to a defender and cheifs get a 7-6 lead into the half. BF does play well in the second half leading 2 TD drives, but in the last 3:05 GB scores 17 points (another pick 6 for CWood)

Game 9: the emergence of Ryan grant. Packers put 14 men in the box and shut down peterson....Rumor is that the vikes had a QB, but you wouldn't know it by all the 3 and outs.

Game 10: BF isn't the oldest guy on the field and his leadership and youth lead the team to a win. Playing against vinny, brett shows how he inspires others...twill returns a punt for a TD, Cory williams is the defensive player of the week and favre/grant stay on the field for something like 60 minutes as vinny is much like tavarius.

Game 12: Dallas...dont' wanna talk about it.

Game 13: All BF against the lowly raiders...except for blackmons 2 TD's and Grants TD.

Game 14: Bigby picks off 2 as we beat the powerhouse rams.

Game 16: Our backups beat the lions...surprise.

Now I realize that without BF we couldn't have possibly been 13-3...he singlehandedly beat so many powerhouse teams that year.

If you are going extreme the other way a good job; but lots of good games in between the bad ones and bottom line is he still led us to a great record.

I think all of these comparisons are silly

TT chose to make this decision for the long term future and in doing so risked the short term success of the Packers.

Maybe he thought AROD would be every bit as good as Favre and the offense would roll on just as well without him.

Regardless if the logic was "for the future long term interests" we just have to see how it plays out.

Freak Out
11-14-2008, 11:27 PM
We were 13-3 with Favre. Enough said.

RashanGary
11-14-2008, 11:28 PM
My opinion on the matter is this,

The Packers are not as good without Brett Favre. Rodgers is doing a good job and showing signs that he could develop into something really, really good but he's struggling getting his protections set and he's just not producing the way this offense used to. He's doing well, but he's not Brett Favre. Favre may have thrown picks but overall he is better at 39 than Rodgers is in his first year IMO.

That said, I don't think this team is SB bound with or without Brett Favre. The defensive and offensive lines are just not good enough. The defensive line isn't deep enough and wears down, eventually folding when it matters most and the offensive line cannot be counted on to really impose their will in the run game when it's needed most. Favre would have made us better, but I don't think it would have been enough.

At the end of the day I think the right decision was made because this team is still growing and just wasn't going to peak within Favre's window. Also, with Favre's attitude, I think a stand had to be taken. I'm glad the way things have gone. I think the Packers are going to do better down the stretch, possibly make the playoffs and will get even better as the years go on. The experience Rodgers is getting is very valuable. Overall, I think the Packers are in a good situation. I jsut don't think it's going to happen this year.

RashanGary
11-14-2008, 11:29 PM

There are a lot of holes in that. The Jets were 10-6 with Pennington two years ago. They went 4-12 the next year. It happens. The Packers were 4-12 with Brett a couple years ago, nuff said? No, because a lot goes into each season and stating a record of one year with the QB can't really be taken as some tell all IMO.

Bretsky
11-14-2008, 11:35 PM
My opinion on the matter is this,

The Packers are not as good without Brett Favre. Rodgers is doing a good job and showing signs that he could develop into something really, really good but he's struggling getting his protections set and he's just not producing the way this offense used to. He's doing well, but he's not Brett Favre. Favre may have thrown picks but overall he is better at 39 than Rodgers is in his first year IMO.

That said, I don't think this team is SB bound with or without Brett Favre. The defensive and offensive lines are just not good enough. The defensive line isn't deep enough and wears down, eventually folding when it matters most and the offensive line cannot be counted on to really impose their will in the run game when it's needed most. Favre would have made us better, but I don't think it would have been enough.

At the end of the day I think the right decision was made because this team is still growing and just wasn't going to peak within Favre's window. Also, with Favre's attitude, I think a stand had to be taken. I'm glad the way things have gone. I think the Packers are going to do better down the stretch, possibly make the playoffs and will get even better as the years go on. The experience Rodgers is getting is very valuable. Overall, I think the Packers are in a good situation. I jsut don't think it's going to happen this year.

I have complete respect for this viewpoint.

Whether I agree with TT or not, it's ok that this decision was made with the best long term interests of the Packers in mind.

I do think we had a shot at the SB if they kept him around...especially minus the injuries

But I'm fine to play the wait and see game for a couple years and I'll keep my conservative expectations

RashanGary
11-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I think a big part of the decision was how Brett had acted, some of hte things he said and him not committing to the program the way McCarthy wanted him to (esspecially in the offseason). It was a tough decision. It probably didn't help immediately, but I don't think it helps to cave to a player that is stepping way out of bounds either. I think Brett made this happen by crossing lines that the team would not tolerate. Again, it's tough and it hurts a little but I think if they keep making good decisions and keep a real team oriented focus, that good things will happen.

Bretsky
11-14-2008, 11:45 PM
I think a big part of the decision was how Brett had acted, some of hte things he said and him not committing to the program the way McCarthy wanted him to (esspecially in the offseason). It was a tough decision. It probably didn't help immediately, but I don't think it helps to cave to a player that is stepping way out of bounds either. I think Brett made this happen by crossing lines that the team would not tolerate.

I know we're going to disagree on this one

I think TT and possibly MM as well were perfectly fine moving on with AROD and may have underestimated the intangibes Favre added to this team in terms of making players around him better and doing the little things to win.

bobblehead
11-15-2008, 12:13 AM
I think a big part of the decision was how Brett had acted, some of hte things he said and him not committing to the program the way McCarthy wanted him to (esspecially in the offseason). It was a tough decision. It probably didn't help immediately, but I don't think it helps to cave to a player that is stepping way out of bounds either. I think Brett made this happen by crossing lines that the team would not tolerate.

I think TT and possibly MM as well were perfectly fine moving on with AROD and may have underestimated the intangibes Favre added to this team in terms of making players around him better and doing the little things to win.

See, I posted my post tongue in cheek and I was mocking that whole "intangibles" thingy. BF was very good last year, but lets not forget that other guys really stepped up...guys that BF had no impact on like blackman, woodson, ect. Last year was the right combination of BF being recharged, a weak schedule and catching teams at the right time. This year is just the opposite. BF is leading the NFL in interceptions, yet jackasses on this forum want to claim his "intangibles" are why the jets are beating a bunch of injured and crappy teams. As JH pointed out, pennington was 10-6 a couple years ago...when BF wins 10 games with the jets talk to me.

The fricking dolphins are over .500 this season and pennington is the QB, so don't tell me its all about one player. This is a team game for christs sake, but idiots like ...I won't mention names...can't seem to let go of BF. I have said it over and over, he is an all time great, thanx for the memories, but if you aren't committed to working with your teammates in the offseason don't come marching back and expecting keys to the stadium. He wasn't the franchise and he doesn't win games alone.

Is AR everything that BF is?? not at this point, we all agree, but FUCK can we not make it the topic of every stinkin thread? I called out JH on it in the past and he has seemed to really focus on football and not pushing buttons...if only certain posters on the other side could display such a high level of maturity.

Partial
11-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Dude, what a crock of S. The AFC East is third most competitive division in the NFL behind the AFC South and the NFC East. We are in the worst division.

The Jets have risen up and beaten good teams... teams above .500 with some legendary coaches like BB. They've played better in the 4th quarter than in the 1st quarter, and Favre's decision making has improved week by week as he gets comfortable in the offense.

On the other hand, we've yet to beat a team with a winning record. We beat an extremely banged up Indy... they'd kill us if we played them today.. beat Minnesota and Detroit before they had game film on A-Rod, and Detroit nearly pulled the game out after pulling ahead in the 4th before their massive implosion, and beat seattle with their 3rd string quarterback... possibly the worst team in the league.

As tape of our vanilla offense becomes more available, teams are shutting us down. Our offensive production has declined big time.

Hard to argue with the directions the teams are going in as well as the records.

As for the off-season, what a load of BS. I didn't hear anyone calling for Chuck, Al, Bubba, etc heads when they opted to skip ALL of the optional off-season work and do it on their own. This is the weakest excuse ever. Plenty of players have skipped camp and played fine.

It's obvious to me that TT wanted him gone. You can't be on a multiyear rebuilding plan with a 39 year old quarterback. Right when you get the talent and start to peak, the guy could retire and you're back at square one.

TT put a lot of faith in A-Rod, both in the contract and putting his job on the line, so he must see something in him that he really likes. IMO, if the Jets succeed and A-Rod and the Packers falter over the next year or two, TT will lose his job and one of the reasons everyone will say is the mishandling of the Favre situation.

gex
11-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Dude, what a crock of S. The AFC East is third most competitive division in the NFL behind the AFC South and the NFC East. We are in the worst division.

The Jets have risen up and beaten good teams... teams above .500 with some legendary coaches like BB. They've played better in the 4th quarter than in the 1st quarter, and Favre's decision making has improved week by week as he gets comfortable in the offense.

On the other hand, we've yet to beat a team with a winning record. We beat an extremely banged up Indy... they'd kill us if we played them today.. beat Minnesota and Detroit before they had game film on A-Rod, and Detroit nearly pulled the game out after pulling ahead in the 4th before their massive implosion, and beat seattle with their 3rd string quarterback... possibly the worst team in the league.

As tape of our vanilla offense becomes more available, teams are shutting us down. Our offensive production has declined big time.

Hard to argue with the directions the teams are going in as well as the records.

As for the off-season, what a load of BS. I didn't hear anyone calling for Chuck, Al, Bubba, etc heads when they opted to skip ALL of the optional off-season work and do it on their own. This is the weakest excuse ever. Plenty of players have skipped camp and played fine.

It's obvious to me that TT wanted him gone. You can't be on a multiyear rebuilding plan with a 39 year old quarterback. Right when you get the talent and start to peak, the guy could retire and you're back at square one.

TT put a lot of faith in A-Rod, both in the contract and putting his job on the line, so he must see something in him that he really likes. IMO, if the Jets succeed and A-Rod and the Packers falter over the next year or two, TT will lose his job and one of the reasons everyone will say is the mishandling of the Favre situation.

QFT

PlantPage55
11-15-2008, 12:52 AM

Rex Grossman took the Bears to the Bowl 'nuff said?

Fritz
11-15-2008, 07:16 AM
You know, Bretsky makes a good point above - one can argue that having Favre here this year may have been the best short-term chance at a Super Bowl, while keeping Arod around instead (and I'm not sure that could've happened had Favre stuck around for this year and another agonizing retirement melodrama next offseason) may be best for the long term interests of the team.

But here's the thing: we all know that a Super Bowl year requires not only talent but a lucky year in terms of injuries. With two major defenders out for the year in Jenkins and Barnett, it's entirely possible that with Favre this team might've still been unable to get to the SB.

I still think that in the long run TT made the right move after Favre retired, almost unretired, retired again and unretired.

Bretsky
11-15-2008, 08:32 AM
You know, Bretsky makes a good point above - one can argue that having Favre here this year may have been the best short-term chance at a Super Bowl, while keeping Arod around instead (and I'm not sure that could've happened had Favre stuck around for this year and another agonizing retirement melodrama next offseason) may be best for the long term interests of the team.

But here's the thing: we all know that a Super Bowl year requires not only talent but a lucky year in terms of injuries. With two major defenders out for the year in Jenkins and Barnett, it's entirely possible that with Favre this team might've still been unable to get to the SB.

I still think that in the long run TT made the right move after Favre retired, almost unretired, retired again and unretired.

I don't think the underlined part is really too debateable

I also agree with your second paragraph. I think with Favre back the Pack could have made a SB run. Now with Favre and without Jenkins and Barnett...doubt we'd get to that Super Bowl.

I'm withholding my view on whether it was the right move; as I said at this point I'm ok with GB looking to their future as being more important rather than playing for the present

Bretsky
11-15-2008, 08:37 AM

See, I posted my post tongue in cheek and I was mocking that whole "intangibles" thingy. BF was very good last year, but lets not forget that other guys really stepped up...guys that BF had no impact on like blackman, woodson, ect. Last year was the right combination of BF being recharged, a weak schedule and catching teams at the right time. This year is just the opposite. BF is leading the NFL in interceptions, yet jackasses on this forum want to claim his "intangibles" are why the jets are beating a bunch of injured and crappy teams. As JH pointed out, pennington was 10-6 a couple years ago...when BF wins 10 games with the jets talk to me.

The fricking dolphins are over .500 this season and pennington is the QB, so don't tell me its all about one player. This is a team game for christs sake, but idiots like ...I won't mention names...can't seem to let go of BF. I have said it over and over, he is an all time great, thanx for the memories, but if you aren't committed to working with your teammates in the offseason don't come marching back and expecting keys to the stadium. He wasn't the franchise and he doesn't win games alone.

Is AR everything that BF is?? not at this point, we all agree, but FUCK can we not make it the topic of every stinkin thread? I called out JH on it in the past and he has seemed to really focus on football and not pushing buttons...if only certain posters on the other side could display such a high level of maturity.

To be honest I know you referred to another post but I had no idea what you were mocking. I also do think in Green Bay Favre helped make that OL look a hell of a lot better than they are by his abililty to feel the rush, shift around, avoid the rush, and still make plays. A part of that IMO was superior coaching (I still think Tom Clements is one of the best and underappreciated coaches in Green Bay) and an extreme command over our offense and game plan........something he does not show with the Jets at all this year.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-15-2008, 10:07 AM

QFT

What a bunch of retards, I can't believe I still come here to read this crap. Injuries, Intangibles, and 52 other players not named Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers have the most to do with this.

How many of you ever even played football? One man does not make a team. End of story.

I just don't get it, you guys are all rose-colored glasses and kool-aid when the Packers win, but when they don't you guys like to point out ever little fault, and make assinine predictions about the future of the Packers.

The Jets have beaten good teams? The Dolphins(first game of the year), Cardinals(seven plus turnovers), Bengals, Chiefs, Bills, Rams, and a Brady-less Patriots.

That's quite the lineup huh? With loses to the Pats(first game of the year), Chargers(blowout), and Oakland(such a horrendous game, I watched it all). Do you people even research the garbage you post before you spew it out to the masses?

Gunakor
11-15-2008, 11:42 AM
IMO, if the Jets succeed and A-Rod and the Packers falter over the next year or two, TT will lose his job and one of the reasons everyone will say is the mishandling of the Favre situation.

TT's job does not rest on how well the Jets do. How well the Jets do means absolutely nothing.

And, if you really want to get down to it, the Packers are only 1 game behind the division leader - with a game against the division leader tomorrow. If we win, we reclaim first place in the division. That's faltering? Is the season over already? We are one game out of a playoff spot, with seven games to play. We are fine, and Ted's job is not in jeopardy. Remember, all we have to do is make the tournament and then anything can happen.

MOBB DEEP
11-15-2008, 11:48 AM
after Mobbs last obnoxious post.

which one?

gex
11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I called out JH on it in the past and he has seemed to really focus on football and not pushing buttons

:wow: You PWN JH
You sir are a man among men :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
11-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Rest assured that if the Packers don't make the playoffs, Bob McGinn and other negative writers will blame a lot of the season's "failure" on Ted Thompson and his decision to reject Brett Favre's desire to come back and play and trade his rights to an AFC team.

PlantPage55
11-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Rest assured that if the Packers don't make the playoffs, Bob McGinn and other negative writers will blame a lot of the season's "failure" on Ted Thompson and his decision to reject Brett Favre's desire to come back and play and trade his rights to an AFC team.

It's too bad that Wisconsin's sportswriters are some of the most hopeless cases of ineptitude I've ever seen year in and year out. :?

bobblehead
11-15-2008, 12:20 PM

Bob McGinn is negative?? On wednsday he said he still believes the packers are going to make the playoffs and that TT and MM are doing a good job...he did break his own rule and question playcalling though, but at the same time admitted that if crosby makes a 52 yard kick off turf indoors no one would question a thing.

MOBB DEEP
11-15-2008, 12:36 PM
BELOW .500 is unacceptable imho

Pugger
11-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I really wonder if Brett had stayed how well he'd be playing behind this year's O line and they way they are playing lately. Yes, this is basically the same line as last season but the play of the tackles and the center is a joke. Our tackles seem to have lost something and Wells gets pushed around like crazy. Poor AR is running for his life. Would Brett be able to do better? Brett might get the ball out faster and recognize what the D is doing quicker than Rodgers is at this point in his career. But would the team as a whole be better with this lousy line play on both sides of the ball = terrible blocking, no running game to speak of and our D's inability to stop the run. :(

Gunakor
11-15-2008, 01:27 PM
I really wonder if Brett had stayed how well he'd be playing behind this year's O line and they way they are playing lately. Yes, this is basically the same line as last season but the play of the tackles and the center is a joke. Our tackles seem to have lost something and Wells gets pushed around like crazy. Poor AR is running for his life. Would Brett be able to do better? Brett might get the ball out faster and recognize what the D is doing quicker than Rodgers is at this point in his career. But would the team as a whole be better with this lousy line play on both sides of the ball = terrible blocking, no running game to speak of and our D's inability to stop the run. :(

Our running game seems to be coming alive. Grant seems to be giving pretty good production and effort when his number is called. His ypc. avg. over the last couple games is good, but his carries have been few. If only MM would call his number a few more times a game...