PDA

View Full Version : The New Advice Thread

MJZiggy
11-15-2008, 10:19 AM
I know we have one of these buried in the bowels of the RR, but it's easier to just start a new one.

As an APOLITICAL question--I have the choice of taking MLK day off in January (a scheduled holiday for my company), or working MLK and deferring the day off until Tuesday.

I am considering deferring and taking my son downtown to see the inauguration.

The considerations are whether I want my son to see the transfer of power process, or whether I want to leave him in school that day and hibernate so I don't have to get anywhere near the mob scene downtown, take the day as a day to get things done as it's not a holiday (you can get a lot more done while everyone else is at work), or just take the original day off and fight the congestion to get to work on time on inauguration day. Or take a vacation day on inauguration day...

Anyway, ideas? (please keep your views on the president elect or the election itself out of this discussion)

Sammy4Pack
11-15-2008, 10:25 AM
take the kid. history in the making.

red
11-15-2008, 10:26 AM
take the vacation day

watching the inauguration will be something your kid never forgets. sure it'll be a pain in the ass to move around down there, but thats just for one day. memories last a lifetime

Iron Mike
11-15-2008, 11:00 AM
I am considering deferring and taking my son downtown to see the inauguration.

I would defer and take your Son to the National Museum of Health and Medicine:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2114

But that's just me. 8-)

arcilite
11-15-2008, 11:05 AM
It's gonna be super hard to get tickets for inauguration. Just watch it on TV

GBRulz
11-15-2008, 11:14 AM
It's gonna be super hard to get tickets for inauguration. Just watch it on TV

You got that right. Even the post election rally tickets in Chicago went for like $800 a piece on eBay.

MJZiggy
11-15-2008, 11:39 AM
They're trying to defer them so they can't be sold. They're not mailing them out until a couple days before because they're supposed to be free. Problem is, my only shot at tickets is through Wisconsin--I think FedEx will be quite busy.

The museum idea is a good one. Perhaps I should wait until this part of BRAC is complete...

GBRulz
11-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Yup, that's exactly what they did in Chicago, too. Even a step further, the person who received the ticket originally had to show ID at the door. Sooo, what these clever rip-off artists did was "take a guest" with them to the event.

I sure hope you get a chance to go though, that def is something you'll never forget.

MJZiggy
11-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Well, to this one, you only need the tickets if you want a seat, and there's only one ticket per person. I've gotten into the ugly habit of waking at 5 a.m. lately so if that keeps up, getting there early won't be much of a problem. The bigger issue will be weather.

The Mall will be full. And if any rats I've met are planning on coming into town, pm me.

sheepshead
11-15-2008, 12:46 PM
If you have the opportunity, by all means take him.

Bretsky
11-15-2008, 01:49 PM
can't ya watch a car salesman on TV ?

ah........I'm just kidding democrats :lol: :lol: :wink:

Kiwon
11-15-2008, 06:06 PM
How old is your son?

What does he want to do?

MJZiggy
11-15-2008, 07:32 PM
He's 9 and if it got him out of school, he'd go to a Turkish prison for the day. That said, he was kind of into the election for a kid.

packinpatland
11-15-2008, 07:36 PM
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=78311

You may not have to worry about taking him out of school........

Kiwon
11-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Dress him up in all sorts of Obama paraphernalia and let him have his big time if he's really interested.

He'll grow up and become a conservative and tell all his friends, "I can't believe what my mother did to me when I was nine years old." :wink:

packinpatland
11-15-2008, 08:48 PM
There's no doubt...............he'd have, already has, better sense than that.

Jimx29
11-15-2008, 08:54 PM
He's 9 and if it got him out of school, he'd go to a Turkish prison for the day. That said, he was kind of into the election for a kid.Has he ever seen a grown man naked?

MJZiggy
11-15-2008, 09:48 PM
See, now I gotta wonder about you...

Kiwon
11-15-2008, 10:46 PM

Transmission from MJZ's mind:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/1114081mugs5.jpg

Freak Out
11-15-2008, 11:12 PM
If Obama walks the walk I would go through the hassle and take him....but if he pulls a Bush I would not go.

Tarlam!
11-15-2008, 11:24 PM

Numb was flying high. You started it when you mentioned the Turlish Prison.

MJZiggy
11-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Actually, I was thinking of the Airplane! reference myself...

MateoInMex
11-16-2008, 03:37 PM
They're trying to defer them so they can't be sold. They're not mailing them out until a couple days before because they're supposed to be free. Problem is, my only shot at tickets is through Wisconsin--I think FedEx will be quite busy.

The museum idea is a good one. Perhaps I should wait until this part of BRAC is complete...

This is a very nice dilema to have in my opinion. If you decide to take the day off and bring your son to witness history...I would try hitting up your Congressperson for tickets. Supposedly they are the Gatekeepers to the Inauguration tickets.

If you decide to stay home and get work done, you'll thank yourself for taking the day off to take care of other business.

Personally, as historical a moment as it is, I would not go because of the mob scene. It might be difficult for you and your son to get a good vantage point, so I would take care of my personal stuff in the early morning, and take my son somewhere else...that's away from the traffic but also fun and educational.

Hope this helps.

MJZiggy
11-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Well DC just laughs at us and MD and VA are swamped with requests. Like I said, request a pair for my parents in Wis. and then go with those.