PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Gameplan

The Shadow
11-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Overall, this is the time - and game - to begin breaking tendencies.

DEFENSE
1. In this game, I just don't see blitzing in the ways we've been doing it. It seems that the linebackers are just not getting there on time, and removing them from coverage zones against the Bears, who have been relying on tight end and back patterns is not the way to go.
I would pressure with the front four WITH a bit of the unusual - an occasional unexpected blitz from a corner or safety.
I would strongly remind the D linemen to get those hands up and obstruct the passing lanes (esp. if Grossman starts).
2. Barnett's injury is unfortunate, but Hawk may be actually now sliding into his natural position (MLB), and that might wind up being a good thing. If you recall, Brian Urlacher never truly blossomed until he was moved from WLB to the middle. This may prove true with A.J.
Hawk should be assigned the task of shadowing/keying Matt Forte everywhere. You can count on some screens and flat patterns, and Hawk should keep him firmly in his sights.
3. If we lose this game, it won't be because of the Bear's running attack. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner is no dummy : he is quite aware of all the recent concern with the Packer's struggles with stopping the run - and will be expecting the Pack to be overly focused on stopping Forte. He also will surmise that this shapes up as a close game. Therefore, expect him to try to hit the big pass early.
The Bear running game is no juggernaut; focusing too much on it at the expense of pass defense can be costly.
SO : I would counter by assigning Chillar the primary task of shadowing TE Desmond Clark - NOT the faster Greg Olson. I would liberally substitute Aaron Rouse in place of Brady Poppinga whenever those 2nd and 7 or 3 & 4 situations arose. Olson will be a key player for the Bears in this one, and speed is needed here for coverage. Far better to make the Bears have to go to their subpar wide receivers. Rouse is a big guy, and the extra safety coverage speed will help greatly.
4. Woodson should be assigned to cover Devon Hester whenever Hester is on the field. Al Harris should not draw that assignment - EVER.

OFFENSE
1. The Bears will be more concerned with stopping the passing attack than the run. They have been under a lot of heat recently for their pass defense deficiencies. They do not think Grant can beat them, and will focus much more on stopping Rodgers.
So : establishing the run could be absolutely nec. to make the pass attack go.
The Bears have a tendency to overpursue; cutback lanes will be there, and it will be up to Grant to make the defense pay.
2. Slants. yes, but judiciously. The Bear's corners watch film; they are going to be looking to jump routes for a quick 6.
There will be a rush - esp. if Clifton's recent performances signal a chronic downward spiral, and Tommie Harris has a good day - so Rodgers needs a lot of quick release mojo.
SO : it would be very helpful to run a quick slant that breaks back fast and allows a Jennings, Driver, Nelson, or Jones to get that all-important step on the corner.
An early score in this game will be huge.

Packers : 27
Bears : 17

Freak Out
11-15-2008, 11:00 PM
We need to run the damn ball and work the passing game in to keep them off balance on defense...can we run a decent screen anymore? You would think with the young and "mobile" OL we have we could mix in a screen now and again to keep them off balance. Someone needs to put Urlacher on his ass a few times. No turnovers!

Jimx29
11-15-2008, 11:23 PM
might be nice too if MM could enforce some discipline in as far as all the freakin penalties we've had this year

red
11-16-2008, 05:54 AM
we need to try that blocking thing that's so popular these days

Bretsky
11-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Time for AROD to also step his game up and be a game changer as he was in some earlier games. This game manager stuff isn't working for me.

Bears are one of the lowest rated pass defenses in the NFL

Take advantage of their weakness and expose it

pack4to84
11-16-2008, 06:37 AM
If sexy Rex starts. He is a one read QB. He rarely looks off his man target. That is why he excels after play action, but is ordinary on straight drop backs.

If Kyle plays we need to bring the pressure because he might not be 100%. Make him have to move around. Make him test that ankle.

wist43
11-16-2008, 08:18 AM
If the Bears had any QB at all this game probably wouldn't be close... however, they don't have a QB, so....

The Bears should be able to run the ball fairly effectively, not much the Packers can do about that. The Packers don't have a very good defense overall, but their secondary has been decent - poor quarterbacking has helped them pad their stats, it would be stupid of the Bears to gameplan to throw much at all.

The Packers offense is all about the QB, so we'll see. If Rodgers has a good game, the Packers have a chance; it not, they're 4-6.

Fritz
11-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Excellent analysis, Shadow. I myself think it's that time of year when teams have to impose their will upon others.

It's do or die for the Pack. Sure, they could lose this and still turn the season around - but does anyone think, if they lose today, that that'll happen?

The Pack needs to play with a sense of urgency and not that godawful Shermanesque start they had last week against Minny.

Fred's Slacks
11-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Nice game plan Shadow. Lots of good points. Good thread.

sheepshead
11-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Would be great to keep Forte under 100. If he has a big day (150+) we could be in for a long day.

GrnBay007
11-16-2008, 09:56 AM
might be nice too if MM could enforce some discipline in as far as all the freakin penalties we've had this year

http://www.packerpalace.com/blog/images/McBarbrady-2.jpg

:P :P :P

wist43
11-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Which coach said when asked about his teams execution - "I'm for it" :lol:

wist43
11-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Dah, just answered my own question...

John McKay :)

Great line... :lol:

MOBB DEEP
11-16-2008, 11:14 AM

HILARIOUS

The Shadow
11-16-2008, 01:30 PM
You are cordially invited to review my gameplan.
Jolly batting down that pass in a critical point was gratifying.

The Shadow
11-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Overall, this is the time - and game - to begin breaking tendencies.

DEFENSE
1. In this game, I just don't see blitzing in the ways we've been doing it. It seems that the linebackers are just not getting there on time, and removing them from coverage zones against the Bears, who have been relying on tight end and back patterns is not the way to go.
a. I would pressure with the front four WITH a bit of the unusual - an occasional unexpected blitz from a corner or safety. b.I would strongly remind the D linemen to get those hands up and obstruct the passing lanes (esp. if Grossman starts).
2. c. Barnett's injury is unfortunate, but Hawk may be actually now sliding into his natural position (MLB), and that might wind up being a good thing. If you recall, Brian Urlacher never truly blossomed until he was moved from WLB to the middle. This may prove true with A.J. Hawk should be assigned the task of shadowing/keying Matt Forte everywhere. You can count on some screens and flat patterns, and Hawk should keep him firmly in his sights.
3. d. If we lose this game, it won't be because of the Bear's running attack. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner is no dummy : he is quite aware of all the recent concern with the Packer's struggles with stopping the run - and will be expecting the Pack to be overly focused on stopping Forte. He also will surmise that this shapes up as a close game. Therefore, expect him to try to hit the big pass early.
The Bear running game is no juggernaut; focusing too much on it at the expense of pass defense can be costly.
SO : e.I would counter by assigning Chillar the primary task of shadowing TE Desmond Clark - NOT the faster Greg Olson. I would liberally substitute Aaron Rouse in place of Brady Poppinga whenever those 2nd and 7 or 3 & 4 situations arose. Olson will be a key player for the Bears in this one, and speed is needed here for coverage. Far better to make the Bears have to go to their subpar wide receivers. Rouse is a big guy, and the extra safety coverage speed will help greatly. 4. Woodson should be assigned to cover Devon Hester whenever Hester is on the field. Al Harris should not draw that assignment - EVER.

OFFENSE
1. f.The Bears will be more concerned with stopping the passing attack than the run. They have been under a lot of heat recently for their pass defense deficiencies. They do not think Grant can beat them, and will focus much more on stopping Rodgers.
So : establishing the run could be absolutely nec. to make the pass attack go.
The Bears have a tendency to overpursue; cutback lanes will be there, and it will be up to Grant to make the defense pay.
2. Slants. yes, but judiciously. The Bear's corners watch film; they are going to be looking to jump routes for a quick 6.
There will be a rush - esp. if Clifton's recent performances signal a chronic downward spiral, and Tommie Harris has a good day - so Rodgers needs a lot of quick release mojo.
SO : it would be very helpful to run a quick slant that breaks back fast and allows a Jennings, Driver, Nelson, or Jones to get that all-important step on the corner.
An early score in this game will be huge.

a. Woodson sack
b. No D line sacks, but 2 knockdowns (Jolly's was crucial)
c. Hawk had an excellent game - and will remain at MLB
d. The Bears did not pound away as much as many expected
e. Chillar had a fine game. Williams (instead of Rouse), helped contain
Olson - good move.
f. Best rushing performance of year. Mike Brown in the box? Throw. Brown back? Run.

Great day!

The Shadow
11-18-2008, 04:12 PM
What should be the gameplan for New Orleans?

Tarlam!
11-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Shadow, Kudos to you. You called a brilliant game! It is very clear to me, at least, where M3 gets his input.

Now, where the fuck were you with the 5 we lost?? :D

The Shadow
11-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Shadow, Kudos to you. You called a brilliant game! It is very clear to me, at least, where M3 gets his input.

Now, where the fuck were you with the 5 we lost?? :D

LOL!
Never fear : From here on, I will formulate the needed plan for each game, in time for McCarthy to implement it!

boiga
11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Good call last week Shadow.

For NO, I think we have to hope that Reggie Bush isn't 100% yet. I trust our back field to contain the Saints deep threats but a hard hitting RB with pass catching ability is hard for our D to contain.

Offensively, we should be able to have our way with the Saints D. I'd like to see Big 5 come back this week because they simply don't have the personnel to defend against that many receiving threats or get to the QB. We should let Rodgers loose for the deep ball this week too because if our OL plays at half the level they did last week, Rodgers will have all day to launch it. Grant should be able to break one too. The Saints D just is not any good.

Gunakor
11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
dp

Gunakor
11-18-2008, 07:14 PM
I'd like to see Big 5 come back this week because they simply don't have the personnel to defend against that many receiving threats or get to the QB. We should let Rodgers loose for the deep ball this week too because if our OL plays at half the level they did last week, Rodgers will have all day to launch it.

I don't want to see the big 5. I was impressed with it when Brett was running it, but Aaron has struggled. Besides that, I want to see more of Ryan Grant. Lots more. I want to see this team be the running team MM envisioned when coming to GB in the first place. I'm old school. Run the ball and play defense. Like Sunday, when we beat the snot out of our archrival. Run the ball, move the chains, don't turn the ball over, limit penalties, and play tough hard nosed defense. That's the show I wanna see again on Monday night.

Fritz
11-18-2008, 08:03 PM
First, I'll state my opinion, but it doesn't matter because clearly The Shadow Knows...and needs to inform us, I think. And MM. Cuz he done good last week. I enjoyed the thread. Football talk!

But here's my meager input: I, too, think the Big 5 confuses Rodgers. I think it's maybe too many options for a newer guy to sort through - it's not like checking down to a running back who releases after Rodgers has looked over the wide receivers and then the tight end.

Second, though statistically a month or two ago I think I demonstrated, historically, that the league is far, far less run-driven than it was back in the 50's, 60's, and even 70's, I'm still a believer in the running game. Not that that's a shocking thing to support, but I just like it when a team can run the damn football. So I'd like to see Grant and Jackson as a two-headed monster, which will then leave wide receivers open all over the field.

Defensively, they've got to bring some pressure on Brees, some way, some how. And I agree with the poster who said the Pack seems to have big trouble covering running backs out of the backfield. Bush scares me in this respect.

Now, how about Shadow providing the real low down?

gbgary
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
What should be the gameplan for New Orleans?

more of the same. the back-to-basics approach worked great. AR had time, the offense kept the ball for long periods allowing the D to stay fresh, and everyone gained confidence. if they go back to wide-open, no protection, empty backfield shit then MM needs fired. AR and the defense will not survive it.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Just a thought...how about employing the nickle package with tramon williams again in this game as well? I dare say even our best coverage backer in Chillar can cover Bush out of the backfield, however he could probably do alright against Shockey. Williams could match Bush in speed and blanket Shockey. All of this hinges on our front 4 being able to apply some pressure on Brees, he's just too good of a QB to give time no matter how good our secondary is.

The Shadow
11-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Ok, time for Monday's gameplan against the Saints :

OFFENSE
1. The Saints will still not be as concerned about our running attack as the pass, even after the Bear game, and will be focused on stopping the pass.
Keep our current run groove going! (this will pay benefits all through the final push to the playoffs, as the confidence of the O line is invaluable).
2. They will attempt to put great pressure on Rodgers, so expect a lot of blitz schemes.
3. We should utilize a healthy dose of screens to counter this.
4. The defensive ends will be consistently in rush mode, so Clifton and Tausch should work at riding them outside. This whould open up lanes between D tackle and end for Grant to exploit.
5. I'd like to see an old Oakland Raider offensive approach. Slam away with both Grant and Jackson, and look for timely spots to go deep + a liberal use of the screen pass.

DEFENSE
1. The Saints will (perhaps) correctly aaume that the Bears went wrong by not concentrating on the running game. Expect them to begin the game by pounding away with Deuce.
2. Especially if Bush is active for the game, also expect lots of screens; they will try to get the ball in his hands in space as much as possible.
3. They will be very concerned with establishing the run first, hoping that the linebackers will be up closer to the line - before they go to their vaunted air attack.
4. If they can accomplish this, expect them to go with a more deep approach, figuring that it will be better to take a shot in areas that won't be so 'cluttered' with our fine defensive backs.
5. To get pressure on Brees, we should go with the Bears plan : the unusual scheme rather than the somewhat ineffective LB blitz (and their offensive line is pretty big). It would be better to have the linebackers concerned with stopping Bush in the flats.
The corner blitz is a good occasional option.

Packers : 27
Saints : 17

RashanGary
11-22-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm not too worried about Reggie Bush. He's coming off a knee surgery. He'll be good, but I don't expect him to be 100% nor to I expect him to be in the flow of the game with Brees. He'll be a step slow or a step out of position, causing drops and negative plays throughout the game.

As far as beating the Saints, I agree that they will try to run. Early we need to be very aware of the run, but as the game goes on they will go back to what they do best. Stop the run early, make them one dimensional and then try to get Brees with picks and sacks later.

On offense, it's going to depend on how the Saints attack us. Come in with the intention of being balanced and then adjust to what the Saints are doing early (after the first drive or two). Maybe it's a pass heavy game. Maybe a run heavy game. Whatever the case, make it an effective game early because one of the keys to this game is going to be playing from ahead.

Noodle
11-22-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm thinking this could be a big game for B-Jack. Grant is not always that great at blitz pickup, and he hasn't inspired confidence in his ability to catch the screen and do good things with it.

I don't know if B-Jack is a better blitz chipper, but I gotta think he gets a lot of work at this as a third-down back.

If we have trouble containing the rush, I wouldn't hesitate to go max protect, keeping a back and TE in the protection scheme. Again, this could work well with Jackson -- if there's no one to hit, he busts outside for a flare.

The Packer receivers far outclass an injury-riddled Saints secondary. If A-Rod gets some time, he could have a big game.

Freak Out
11-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Run first pass second. Throw an odd blitz at Brees every now and again. Control the clock and keep the NO offense off the field.

Pugger
11-22-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't know if I'd say the 5 wide confuses AR. I think this year we haven't had 5 WRs active for more than a couple of games - but I could be wrong... :?:

MOBB DEEP
11-22-2008, 04:34 PM
RUN DAT BALL; keep grant in rythm for stretch run...

exploit the middle with the TE

DONT blitz too frequently; brees is mad thoro (SHOW zone at times)

Fritz
11-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Slam away with both Grant and Jackson, and look for timely spots to go deep + a liberal use of the screen pass.

This works as a sex strategy, too.

The Shadow
11-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Slam away with both Grant and Jackson, and look for timely spots to go deep + a liberal use of the screen pass.

This works as a sex strategy, too.

Fritzie, you ARE the best!
Thanks for pointing out how Freudian my little gameplans are.

KYPack
11-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Good thread, Shadow.

You must have some "old coach" in your make-up somewhere.

The Saint secondary can be exploited. Will the Saints try to blitz to help 'em? I hope so. Both Aaron Glenn and Mike McKenzie are out. That leaves corners Jason David & Randall Gay. Both guy can be had, so the Saints roll S's Roman Harper and Kevin Kaesviharn over to help them.

This leaves a gap about the size of the Grand Canyon in the middle. Look for both Greg Jennings and Donald Lee (& Humphrey mebbe?) to exploit this weakness. The Saints are real beatable in the middle of their pass D and will have to make adjustments to get pressure and the proper help applied.

It's up to M3 and ARod to jump on their adjustments and burn 'em to the ground.

esoxx
11-23-2008, 10:57 AM
2. Especially if Bush is active for the game, also expect lots of screens; they will try to get the ball in his hands in space as much as possible.

The best time to go deep is when bush is active.

Reggie seems to be a switch hitter.

This thread belongs in the Garbage Can due to strong sexual content.

KYPack
11-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Reggie seems to be a switch hitter.

This thread belongs in the Garbage Can due to strong sexual content.

Reggie seems to be a switch hitter, but Randall is gay?

Yeah, this thread is in the toilet.

MOBB DEEP
11-23-2008, 11:09 AM
This leaves a gap about the size of the Grand Canyon in the middle. Look for both Greg Jennings and Donald Lee (& Humphrey mebbe?) to exploit this weakness. The Saints are real beatable in the middle of their pass D and will have to make adjustments to get pressure and the proper help applied

dito; the sentiment i expressed in this thread as well

arcilite
11-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Jay Glazer just said Reggie Bush is out for the game against the Packers.

Good for the Packers, but I'd rather they earn their wins by beating teams at full strength.

But I'll take waht I can get.

MOBB DEEP
11-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Good for the Packers, but I'd rather they earn their wins by beating teams at full strength.

XACTLY...

The Shadow
11-23-2008, 05:10 PM
This time of year, few teams are at 'full strength'.

Fritz
11-24-2008, 08:00 AM
I'd give them Reggie Bush and Mike Mckenzie if we could have Cullen Jenkins.

The Shadow
11-24-2008, 05:36 PM
I'd give them Reggie Bush and Mike Mckenzie if we could have Cullen Jenkins.

We already gave them Mike McKenzie.