PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Brothers--Little Big Men Achieve Football Success

oregonpackfan
11-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Nothing represents the concept of "Little Big Men" than brothers James Rodgers(sophomore) and Jacquizz Rodgers(freshman) of the Oregon State Beavers football team.

While both brothers were high school football stars in Texas, none of the Texas Division I schools showed an interest in recruiting them. In fact, none of the Texas or Big 12 schools even sent them a letter.

Both brothers are fast, shifty and powerfully built at 190 pounds. They are "vertically challenged", however, which explains why Texas' recruiters passed on them. James is 5'8" tall with younger brother Jacquizz is just 5'7."

Trying to get James an athletic scholarship, his high school coach knew an Oregon State assistant coach and gave him a phone call. The assistant flew out to Texas, watched game films, and met James. He was very impressed with James and offered him a scholarship.

As a freshman, James became a starting tailback and achieved considerable success. In the spring, he went to his coaches and said, "You need to recruit my younger brother, Jacquizz. You think I'm good? He is way better than me!"

The OSU coaches discovered that Jacquizz was outstanding and offered him a scholarship as well. He scored an amazing 68 touchdowns as a high school senior.

This year, the Beavers coaches moved 5'8" James to receiver and placed 5'7" Jacquizz as the starting tailback. James also does the kickoff returns.

This year, Jacquizz has rushed for over 1,300 yards, broke the Pac-10 record for yards rushing by a freshman, and is a semifinalist for the Doak Walker Award--the award given to the best running back in the country.

In yesterday's Oregon State win over Cal, the Rodgers brothers accounted for a combined total of 338 yards offense as well as 3 touchdowns!

Their high school coach insists the Rodgers' brothers best attribute is not their quickness, strength, or durability. It is their work ethic.

The Oregon State coaches have noted the brothers are usually the first ones to arrive to practice. They are focused and put out 100% during practice. They also faithfully work out in the weight room. OSU coaches report their work ethic has carried over to their teammates.

All this college success resulted when a college 2,000 miles from their home decided to give these talented brothers a chance.

For more information about these remarkable "Little Big Men" of Oregon State go to:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/122680592362240.xml&coll=7

MJZiggy
11-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Nice win, by the way. I just caught the last minute or so when ESPN switched over.

oregonpackfan
11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
A number of Northwest writers are so impressed with freshman tailback Jacquizz Rodgers they are lobbying him for the Heisman Trophy. Have you never heard of him or watched him play? The Beavers are playing Arizona on the Versus Channel this Saturday at 4 p.m.(PST)

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/122724151527400.xml&coll=7

Zool
11-21-2008, 09:56 AM
I saw him against USC. They couldnt find him till he was 5 yards down field. Small and shifty. Prolly wont translate to the NFL other than a 3rd down guy, but should make some noise in the next couple years.