PDA

View Full Version : Give Bob Sanders Some Credit!

texaspackerbacker
11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
There has been so much irrational hate spewed by so many about Sanders and the Packers defensive scheme. It's time to give them some credit today.

A team runs consistent two TE sets on offense. How many Def. Coordinators would have the brains and balls to go with 5 DBs against them? Knowing your personnel, that what it's all about.

And, of course, as usual, very very few blitzes. That's the way it should be; That's the way it was.

I hope they go with this 5 DB thing the rest of the way. Having Woodson, Harris, and three out of the four, Collins, Bigby, T. Williams, and Rouse on the field is at least as good against the run and a lot better against the pass.

gbgary
11-16-2008, 03:26 PM
i've never complained about the D this year. they've done a great job considering how they've been over-taxed by the very inconsistant offense.

]{ilr]3
11-16-2008, 03:27 PM
How about giving AJ Hawk the credit for pulling the Defense together and being a leader?

I like Barrnett, but I have always questioned his leadership skills. Do we have a changing of the guard at MLB?

I am still pissed at Sanders.......

Brohm
11-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I think Aikman was spot on in his assessment of Barnett. A good MLB but is a prototypical WLB. I would like to see the switch made and keep Hawk at MLB paired with Barnett at WLB (next season).

The Gunshooter
11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
{ilr]3]How about giving AJ Hawk the credit for pulling the Defense together and being a leader?

I like Barrnett, but I have always questioned his leadership skills. Do we have a changing of the guard at MLB?

Yes, when an undersized LB loses his speed it is time to say good-bye to him and hello to whomever they can find to play weakside linebacker. They need to replace Poopfinga too. Why the heck they resigned that guy I have no idea. I am not joking, ANYONE can do what an average NFL GM does because frankly, they are not that good.

Harlan Huckleby
11-16-2008, 04:09 PM
{ilr]3]How about giving AJ Hawk the credit for pulling the Defense together and being a leader?

Yes, when an undersized LB loses his speed it is time to say good-bye to him and hello to whomever they can find to play weakside linebacker. They need to replace Poopfinga too. Why the heck they resigned that guy I have no idea. I am not joking, ANYONE can do what an average NFL GM does because frankly, they are not that good.

Good God, who are the great linebackers in Green Bay the last 20 years who put Poppinga and Barnett to shame?

I am tempted to think you have no idea what you are talking about.

The Gunshooter
11-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Lots of holes on this team and Barnett is not the answer to any of them. He may buy them a year or two of mediocrity but I just can't see him coming back in 10 months after an ACL injury and being effective. As a matter of fact I am ready to write him off completely. I would rather go with youth at the WILL because they are still a long way from a championship.

Partial
11-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Today was a good game, but that doesn't change anyones opinion about Vanilla Bob. They were playing one of the league's worst offensive teams with a severely hobbled quarterback. Let's be real here.

The Gunshooter
11-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Good God, who are the great linebackers in Green Bay the last 20 years who put Poppinga and Barnett to shame?

I am tempted to think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Barnett has an ACL injury you bozo and I never would of resigned Poop. He can't do anything well and takes himself out of the play too much when he guesses wrong. GB needs two new linebackers, D-linemen, and a upgrade at center and guard.

The Gunshooter
11-16-2008, 04:59 PM
I wanted Favre, KGB , Poop, and Bubba dumped. I got two of four before the year started. I got one during the year and the other is just a matter of time. Barnett was slowing down before he got hurt. He used to be able to fly sideline to sideline and I see runners beat him around the corner who never would before. Now he has a ACL injury and odds are he will get even slower. At 220lb it is a no brainer, he is done, Barnett will never play at a high level again.

DonHutson
11-16-2008, 05:12 PM
As long as we're giving credit to coaches today... was the play calling any different against the Bears, other than the fact that this time the plays were executed properly?

I would suspect not, but I'm sure last week's idiot will be this week's genius.

Deputy Nutz
11-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Tex, when the defense has a bottom five running defense in the league you earned all the criticism you receive.

I will give Bob credit for moving Hawk into the middle instead of being boring and just putting in Bishop.

Pass rush was again weak to day.

cpk1994
11-16-2008, 06:45 PM
And, of course, as usual, very very few blitzes. That's the way it should be; That's the way it was.

Every time I think they don't blitz enough, I just say the name "Bob Slowik" a few times to myself. Gets that thought out of my mind every time.

Jimx29
11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Today was a good game, but that doesn't change anyones opinion about Vanilla Bob. They were playing one of the league's worst offensive teams with a severely hobbled quarterback. Let's be real here.^^ what he said ^^

texaspackerbacker
11-16-2008, 09:09 PM
The thing is, this year the Bears haven't been all that bad on offense. Their running game has been decent, and since they have started Orton, they have done OK passing on a lot of teams. And sore ankle or not, Orton didn't look that bad today--mobility isn't is thing even when he's healthy.

As for "Vanilla Bob", it is pure idiocy to whine about the Packers not blitzing enough. You get about 5 to 10 bad results from blitzing for every good result. Not only that, but even if you get to the QB, you take away the prospect of our outstanding DBs making plays with interceptions.

Pro, college, whatever, check out the teams that blitz a lot--"unvanilla" defenses. You'll find that the great majority of them are chronic losers.

As I said in the other thread, though, I have now come around to the point of view that Hawk IS better suited for MLB, and Barnett is more suited for OLB.

Back to commenting on idiocy, however, for people to conclude at this point that Barnett won't be able to come back as good as ever is just plain stupid--probably the same people spewing irrational hate about Barnett for years.

Partial
11-16-2008, 09:20 PM
As for "Vanilla Bob", it is pure idiocy to whine about the Packers not blitzing enough. You get about 5 to 10 bad results from blitzing for every good result. Not only that, but even if you get to the QB, you take away the prospect of our outstanding DBs making plays with interceptions.

Tell that to Baltimore or Pittsburg coordinators. I'm sure they'd disagree.

Joemailman
11-16-2008, 09:35 PM
The Packers D doesn't really lend itself to a lot of blitzing from the linebackers because of how deep the linebackers line up. As long as the Packers play their version of Bates D, they won't blitz as much as some would like.

texaspackerbacker
11-16-2008, 09:36 PM

Just look at Baltimore's record for the last decade or so. And Pittsburgh, arguably, has been successful for a lot of reasons other than blitzing--no, make that IN SPITE of blitzing.

Partial
11-16-2008, 09:40 PM

Just look at Baltimore's record for the last decade or so. And Pittsburgh, arguably, has been successful for a lot of reasons other than blitzing--no, make that IN SPITE of blitzing.

Fine, how about NE, San Diego, Dallas, etc?

Deputy Nutz
11-16-2008, 09:54 PM
The thing is, this year the Bears haven't been all that bad on offense. Their running game has been decent, and since they have started Orton, they have done OK passing on a lot of teams. And sore ankle or not, Orton didn't look that bad today--mobility isn't is thing even when he's healthy.

Pro, college, whatever, check out the teams that blitz a lot--"unvanilla" defenses. You'll find that the great majority of them are chronic losers.

As I said in the other thread, though, I have now come around to the point of view that Hawk IS better suited for MLB, and Barnett is more suited for OLB.

Back to commenting on idiocy, however, for people to conclude at this point that Barnett won't be able to come back as good as ever is just plain stupid--probably the same people spewing irrational hate about Barnett for years.

It is not even so much about blitzing. He doesn't change his scheme at all. He doesn't go with 3 down line scheme, or use 4 linebackers, it is either a base 4-3 or nickel. Sometimes he brings up the 8th guy in the box, but still offensive coordinators certainly are not challenge trying to break down the Packers defense.

I will give Bob credit for today, and for the fact that the secondary has been playing pretty well without a significant pass rush. Corey Williams pass rush from the inside is missed right now, and last year KGB was still an effective rusher from the edge to take pressure off of Kampman. Now there is nothing opposite Kampman that puts fear in an opposing teams offense.

I am not going to sit here and argue that the Packers need to blitz more, but what I will argue is that the Packers are going to need to pick up their pass rush in the next 6 games if they want to win the division,

Zool
11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Today was a good game, but that doesn't change anyones opinion about Vanilla Bob. They were playing one of the league's worst offensive teams with a severely hobbled quarterback. Let's be real here.

Since you love stats so much P

Bears are
16th in scoring
14th in passing
15th in rushing
4th in t/o margin

I guess I would call that just above average, but whatever. You're the stats expert.

Partial
11-16-2008, 10:10 PM

Bears are
16th in scoring
14th in passing
15th in rushing
4th in t/o margin

I guess I would call that just above average, but whatever. You're the stats expert.

Fine, middle of the road team offensively with a severely hobbled and limited quarterback. Better? :lol:

bobblehead
11-16-2008, 10:10 PM

Bears are
16th in scoring
14th in passing
15th in rushing
4th in t/o margin

First rand, now you....stop letting facts get in the way of a good emotional arguement.

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Fine, middle of the road team offensively with a severely hobbled and limited quarterback. Better? :lol:

Hobbled and limited? The dude has run for 45 yards all year, so it's not like he'll beat you with his feet. He didn't have a high ankle sprain, so I doubt his sprained ankle really affected his throwing much. Hell, Rodgers had an injury to his throwing shoulder that kept him from practicing for most of 6 weeks, but you wouldn't give him a break for that.

Partial
11-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Hobbled and limited? The dude has run for 45 yards all year, so it's not like he'll beat you with his feet. He didn't have a high ankle sprain, so I doubt his sprained ankle really affected his throwing much. Hell, Rodgers had an injury to his throwing shoulder that kept him from practicing for most of 6 weeks, but you wouldn't give him a break for that.

Actually, all week on WSSP they were talking about his high ankle sprain. That's the extent of my knowledge on it. He looked awful and inaccurate, even on short passes. Without a shadow of a doubt he was hurting and playing through a LOT of pain, and it seemed to effect every throw.

The Gunshooter
11-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Back to the title of this thread, which of course is "Give Bob Sanders Some Credit!" Why? How many tackles did he have? Does he have a track record like Buddy Ryan or the old fart at Pittsburg? Hell no! When he coaches up a top 5 defense year after year I'll give him some credit.

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Actually, all week on WSSP they were talking about his high ankle sprain. That's the extent of my knowledge on it.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1261635,bears-quarterback-kyle-orton-110508.article

Contrary to some media reports, Orton does not have a high ankle sprain and said he is day-to-day. He said he has felt much better each day since being knocked out of Sunday’s game against the Detroit Lions.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1263715,CST-SPT-bear06.article

Actions always speak louder than words, and Kyle Orton strode without a limp to the podium in the Halas Hall media room Wednesday afternoon, then exited comfortably after discussing the most overblown ankle injury in Bears history...

Nothing serious was detected -- certainly not a high ankle sprain that would put a player on the shelf for six weeks.

Partial
11-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Actually, all week on WSSP they were talking about his high ankle sprain. That's the extent of my knowledge on it.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1261635,bears-quarterback-kyle-orton-110508.article

Contrary to some media reports, Orton does not have a high ankle sprain and said he is day-to-day. He said he has felt much better each day since being knocked out of Sunday’s game against the Detroit Lions.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1263715,CST-SPT-bear06.article

Actions always speak louder than words, and Kyle Orton strode without a limp to the podium in the Halas Hall media room Wednesday afternoon, then exited comfortably after discussing the most overblown ankle injury in Bears history...

Nothing serious was detected -- certainly not a high ankle sprain that would put a player on the shelf for six weeks.

OK, that is good to know. The Wisconsin Media was ill-informed all week.

channtheman
11-17-2008, 03:34 AM
As long as we're giving credit to coaches today... was the play calling any different against the Bears, other than the fact that this time the plays were executed properly?

No the playcalling wasn't really much different from McCarthy and it still bugs me sometimes. For example, we opened the game up with 3 straight runs and it was working. Then we go empty backfield and remove all doubt on 3rd and short that we are even going to attempt to run. Why McCarthy don't you slap Grant in the game and run a play action?

By the way, I have been hoping McCarthy would run more play actions this year since he hardly seems to ever do it. Today though he did it twice that I can recall and it worked beautifully, as I thought it would.

Gunakor
11-17-2008, 01:38 PM

MM stuck with the run, that was a big difference in playcalling. He even called a couple timely draw plays which were successful. Having established the run, play action was open all afternoon. MM likes to use play action, but would often go to it before the defense was really selling out to stop the run. This time he let Grant loose in the first couple drives, and really set the table for the rest of the game offensively. I'd consider that a huge difference in playcalling vs. the last couple of weeks.

boiga
11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
M3 simply out coached the Bears this week. The Bears came into the game focused on stopping the pass. So, M3 runs 4 times in a row until the Bears adjust with 9 in the box. Then he passes four times in a row until the Bears adjust and he starts running again.

The Bears lack the personnel to adequately stop both the run and the pass, so they ended up being gashed by both. They were completely thrown off by the play calling early on and never recovered.

The mix of run, pass and option plays we perfect this week. Major credit to Mike.

Bretsky
11-17-2008, 07:19 PM

It is not even so much about blitzing. He doesn't change his scheme at all. He doesn't go with 3 down line scheme, or use 4 linebackers, it is either a base 4-3 or nickel. Sometimes he brings up the 8th guy in the box, but still offensive coordinators certainly are not challenge trying to break down the Packers defense.

I will give Bob credit for today, and for the fact that the secondary has been playing pretty well without a significant pass rush. Corey Williams pass rush from the inside is missed right now, and last year KGB was still an effective rusher from the edge to take pressure off of Kampman. Now there is nothing opposite Kampman that puts fear in an opposing teams offense.

I am not going to sit here and argue that the Packers need to blitz more, but what I will argue is that the Packers are going to need to pick up their pass rush in the next 6 games if they want to win the division,

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

DonHutson
11-18-2008, 09:11 AM
MM stuck with the run, that was a big difference in playcalling.

Did the run game work becuase he stuck with it, or did he stick with it because it was working? I'd say the latter, which gets back to my point about execution.

If you can't block, if you can't find the hole, if you hold the ball too long, etc. etc. I'm not sure it matters all that much which plays you call. If everything is working it opens up all kinds of options, to the point where you could call almost anything.

Sure there will always be plays or even series where you can question the strategy in any game. But for the most part I think the play calling gets blown out of proportion around here. A great play call, poorly executed looks like crap. Executing the play properly is more important than the play itself.

denverYooper
11-18-2008, 10:12 AM

Did the run game work becuase he stuck with it, or did he stick with it because it was working? I'd say the latter, which gets back to my point about execution.

If it's the latter, then McCarthy learned something from the 2 games previous to the Bears.

Gunakor
11-18-2008, 12:08 PM

If you can't block, if you can't find the hole, if you hold the ball too long, etc. etc. I'm not sure it matters all that much which plays you call. If everything is working it opens up all kinds of options, to the point where you could call almost anything.

Sure there will always be plays or even series where you can question the strategy in any game. But for the most part I think the play calling gets blown out of proportion around here. A great play call, poorly executed looks like crap. Executing the play properly is more important than the play itself.

The run game has been working the previous 2 games as well, but MM abandoned the run too early. The problem in Tennessee and Minnesota was pass pro, not run blocking. Grant was finding holes and gaining good yardage in both of those games, but MM abandoned the run too early or used it to infrequently. Especially against Minnesota, where the game was close at the end and a productive run game (which we had up until that point) could have swung the tide the other way. Instead we kept calling pass play after pass play, knowing our OL was getting beat to a bloody pulp by the Vikings DL. They were beating Rodgers senseless all game long. All while Grant was averaging 4+ ypc. in limited carries. That's my point.

texaspackerbacker
11-18-2008, 11:38 PM

You guys would actually prefer to see some kind of a D scheme emphasizing pass rush over what we have--with what is it, seven TDs by the D, etc.?

I could see somebody pushing for better D against the run, etc., but pass rush without the blitzes is kinda like frosting on the cake. It helps, but it isn't what determines the outcome of games. Pass rush BECAUSE of overdoing the blitz actually contributes to losing more games than it wins because of the coverage that gets sacrificed to have the blitzing.

How many of those pick sixes do you guys think we would have missed out on if our pass rush had been a step or two quicker and sacked the QB?.

This goes way beyond just "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's more like "trying to kill the golden goose" that you guys are talking about.

The Gunshooter
11-19-2008, 12:16 AM

You guys would actually prefer to see some kind of a D scheme emphasizing pass rush over what we have--with what is it, seven TDs by the D, etc.?

I could see somebody pushing for better D against the run, etc., but pass rush without the blitzes is kinda like frosting on the cake. It helps, but it isn't what determines the outcome of games. Pass rush BECAUSE of overdoing the blitz actually contributes to losing more games than it wins because of the coverage that gets sacrificed to have the blitzing.

How many of those pick sixes do you guys think we would have missed out on if our pass rush had been a step or two quicker and sacked the QB?.

This goes way beyond just "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's more like "trying to kill the golden goose" that you guys are talking about.

The problem this year with bend don't break is a lack of depth on the d-line and injuries. By the end of the game GB can't stop anyone because they were on the field for too many snaps early in the game. The offense has something to do with it too but if you can see your defense is on the field too much you might want to take a risk or two like more guys at the line of scrimmage or blitzing one of the cornerbacks. GB lost two close games in a row that may have went differently if the defense was fresher at the end.

To me as a defense, you have to change it up. I would like to see GB be a little more aggressive on defense early in the game.

Deputy Nutz
11-19-2008, 12:49 AM

Sweet mother god if you could only digest what you read as much as you post we would be a lot further along in this process. I enjoy the defensive touchdowns, but you want to sit here and tell me that you know for a fact that it is going to continue this way the rest of the season than I say by all means I hope they continue to do it.

I just don't see the Packers scoring 5 or 6 more touchdowns this season on defense. The with or without the blitz, I simply don't care how they do it, but they are going to need to pressure the QB some where down the line.

Besides if you want to call Jason Hunter picking up a bobbled snap for a touchdown a Bob Sanders miracle be my guest.

Have you ever heard of a stunt?

Bretsky
11-19-2008, 08:17 AM

I've never advocated the all out blitz scheme for this team

I want to see variety...etc...stunts....halftime adjustments....

Patler
11-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Tex makes a valid point. The Packers pass defense:

has allowed a 51.5% completion rate, lowest in the league.
has allowed 1763 yards, third best in the league, and only 71 yards from #1
has allowed 5.7yds/pass, tied for lowest in the league
has 16 interceptions, #1 in the league
has allowed a QB rating of 59.5, lowest in the league

It would be nice to be able to generate a great pass rush without changing what is already being done and is clearly working very well. With the performance from the pass defense as above, why would you want to make any significant change just to generate more sacks? Sacks are nice. Sacks look impressive, but leading or being near the top in virtually every pass defense category is the goal whether or not sacks contribute to it. To change significantly might do more harm than good.

Gunakor
11-19-2008, 12:31 PM
We do need to get a better pass rush, but it has to come from our front 4. I don't want to see any more blitzing than I already see. Sanders does send 6 a couple times a game, and I don't think we really need to do more than that. Blitzing only takes people out of coverage. There is no way that taking people out of pass coverage more often is going to help this team. When we start toying around with that, we give up the 60+ yard TD passes that we saw so frequently not too long ago. Whatever the struggles are on defense, I'm extremely happy that I don't have to witness those every week anymore.

texaspackerbacker
11-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Thank you for the support and stats, Patler. All that with Harris and Bigby missing a bunch of games and Woodson and Collins playing with some degree of injury.

Nutz, maybe I'm not digesting your post correctly, but it really seemed like you were implying that the major success of the Packers in pass defense--or at very least the touchdowns scored by the D--are a product of LUCK. Past performance is usually a pretty good indicator of future results--except when it's all just luck, after all.

I'm not saying you're wrong, mind you. I used to cite luck as a major factor in a lot of Packer and other football results. Others who liked to call themselves "realists" ridiculed that concept. I can't really remember what position (if any) you took about such things--things like Sheman's Packers going 4-12 with a ton of injuries among a whole lot of other examples.

Gunakor, I agree better pressure from the front four would certainly be a good thing. I honestly think, though, that we can win just fine without it--assuming the coverage performs near what it has, the defense against the run improves moderately, and the offense gets a little more consistent.

Partial
11-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Even if they don't blitz often, it is still the threat of the blitz and the keeping the other team off balance that causes false starts, max protects, etc.

Teams like the Ravens and Chargers are at an advantage defensively imo because they run stunts, line up players all over the field, etc.

Take the Giants from last year. Spagnolo or whatever used a million different looks despite them having a very solid front 4 that could generate pressure without blitzing. The confusion created and the offense having to adapt to different personal and threats often times causes more problems than the actual blitz itself.

rbaloha1
11-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Sanders scheme is sound. The players are executing.

Sure helps when you have shutdown corners.

Fritz
11-21-2008, 11:42 AM
It will be hard for Sanders to get any credit right now.

Nobody has any money to loan.

texaspackerbacker
11-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Even if they don't blitz often, it is still the threat of the blitz and the keeping the other team off balance that causes false starts, max protects, etc.

Teams like the Ravens and Chargers are at an advantage defensively imo because they run stunts, line up players all over the field, etc.

Take the Giants from last year. Spagnolo or whatever used a million different looks despite them having a very solid front 4 that could generate pressure without blitzing. The confusion created and the offense having to adapt to different personal and threats often times causes more problems than the actual blitz itself.

It's just possible that the Giants, Chargers, and Ravens have better defensive personnel. At very least, they have better front seven personnel. The Packer defense is having at least as much success as any of those teams. Those cover corners do have a lot to do with the success, but having a scheme that maximizes their benefit is also part of it.

As for "confusion" created, I'll take the absence of big plays resulting from failed blitzes over that "confusion" any day. I also will take the plethora of turnovers and pick sixes we have been getting over a few lousy sacks any day.

And lastly, I never said never blitz--never saying never is always a good idea. Arguably, hitting 'em by surprise is even better than "confusing" 'em with the constant threat of blitzing.

Fritz
11-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Frickin' Patler and his damn facts.

So inconvenient.