PDA

View Full Version : Abdul Hodge placed on IR

packers11
11-17-2008, 05:56 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Bengals placed LB Abdul Hodge (triceps) on injured reserve, ending his season.

It's unknown when Hodge, a backup on defense, got hurt. Constant injuries make the former third-round pick's long-term outlook quite bleak.

]{ilr]3
11-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Too bad, I really thought he was going to be a great player. I remember when he and Greenway were at Iowa. Greenway was a great player, but everyone always thought that Hodge was the unsung hero to his success.

Tarlam!
11-18-2008, 02:21 AM
This really saddens me. I always was a fan of Hodge and, somehow, I just know, the guy has it in him.

Get well soon.

DonHutson
11-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Constant injuries make the former third-round pick's long-term outlook quite bleak.

Signing with the Bengals made his long term outlook quite bleak.

At least he still gets a paycheck without having to be personally involved in that trainwreck.

KYPack
11-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Hodge was a tweener in the pro's. If he could pick up cover, he could be a regular player. He couldn't, so he's a back-up LB.

He was a marginal ST guy, probably because he had little experience at it.

He may still be a decent back-up, but you'd think most teams would like to put a kid they are trying to develop in that spot.

He was a good kid, but very limited. The guy could fill like crazy, but that was it.

Tarlam!
11-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Hodge was a tweener in the pro's. If he could pick up cover, he could be a regular player. He couldn't, so he's a back-up LB.

He may still be a decent back-up, but you'd think most teams would like to put a kid they are trying to develop in that spot.

He was a good kid, but very limited. The guy could fill like crazy, but that was it.

I think you're selling him short. He hit way harder than Barnett and he was equally mobile. I wonder what Hodge turns into, if he is drafted and thrown into the position like Barnett once was by Shermie. Barnett was disgusting his rookie year as we all remember. Our own Wist was on his back his first 3 seasons. Only last year did we see anything really good (not great) from Barnett.

So, think about that, KY. Think about Hodge getting the same shot as Barnett when he came to the Pack and tell me again, Hodge was a dud. Cause, I just don't believe it.

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I think you're selling him short. He hit way harder than Barnett and he was equally mobile.

Nah, Barnett is one of the fastest LBs in the league. Hodge has below average speed. He hits harder than most LBs, but he's relatively slow. I don't think the injuries helped him in that regard either.

Tarlam!
11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Hodge has below average speed. He hits harder than most LBs, but he's relatively slow. I don't think the injuries helped him in that regard either.

See, I read this all the time, but, during the pre-season, I didn't see this. He may be brittle, but he was game fast, from what I saw. I'm no expert, but I wanted him in G&G.

Patler
11-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Hodge has below average speed. He hits harder than most LBs, but he's relatively slow. I don't think the injuries helped him in that regard either.

See, I read this all the time, but, during the pre-season, I didn't see this. He may be brittle, but he was game fast, from what I saw. I'm no expert, but I wanted him in G&G.

This board discussed this after the last preseason game, when Hodge and Bishop looked to have their jobs on the line. On several plays, Bishop blew past Hodge on his way to the ball carrier, and Barnett is faster than Bishop. Hodge is relatively slow, especially for a smallish linebacker.

rbaloha1
11-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Forget the 40 time w/Hodge.

The guy plays fast due to taking great angles and diagnosing plays.

Its unfortunate whats happened. At the end of the day Hawk is probably a better mlb anyways.

sharpe1027
11-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Forget the 40 time w/Hodge.

The guy plays fast due to taking great angles and diagnosing plays.

Its unfortunate whats happened. At the end of the day Hawk is probably a better mlb anyways.

He plays fast in traffic, between the tackles. In the open field he is slow.

Guiness
11-19-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry to see this. The guy had a really good camp, and it seemed like he was going to at least have a shot at being an NFL player.

But now, with 2 IR stints in his 3yrs in the league, it doesn't look so good for him. I don't know that anyone will give him another shot.

KYPack
11-19-2008, 03:46 PM

I think you're selling him short. He hit way harder than Barnett and he was equally mobile. I wonder what Hodge turns into, if he is drafted and thrown into the position like Barnett once was by Shermie. Barnett was disgusting his rookie year as we all remember. Our own Wist was on his back his first 3 seasons. Only last year did we see anything really good (not great) from Barnett.

So, think about that, KY. Think about Hodge getting the same shot as Barnett when he came to the Pack and tell me again, Hodge was a dud. Cause, I just don't believe it.

Man, I missed your response.

You shudda pmed me and told me what a chickenshit I was not to respond!

I'll say one thing about Hodge. He had a rabid fan club.

Hodge getting the same shot as Barnett when he came to the Pack ?

I really believe he wouldn't have hacked the program.

One way or the other, he's in our team's rear view mirror now. If he's such a red hot LB, wouldn't the Bengals gave him a little play when he went over there?
They lost their #1 pick at Mike (Keith Rivers) and never gave Hodge a glance at MLB. He played more spec teams for Cincy and didn't really stand out at that job. He's a little small and a little slow, with poor cover skills. Barnett is head and shoulders a much better player than Abdul is.

I'm glad he only tore a tricep. Another leg hurt might have put him out forever. More work, and he might develop the skills to play in the league. he's gotta learn to cover, especially the way the league is now.

Tarlam!
11-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Hodge getting the same shot as Barnett when he came to the Pack ?

I really believe he wouldn't have hacked the program.

One way or the other, he's in our team's rear view mirror now. If he's such a red hot LB, wouldn't the Bengals gave him a little play when he went over there?
They lost their #1 pick at Mike (Keith Rivers) and never gave Hodge a glance at MLB. He played more spec teams for Cincy and didn't really stand out at that job. He's a little small and a little slow, with poor cover skills. Barnett is head and shoulders a much better player than Abdul is.

I'm glad he only tore a tricep. Another leg hurt might have put him out forever. More work, and he might develop the skills to play in the league. he's gotta learn to cover, especially the way the league is now.

I think if he was thrown into Mike his first year, like Barnett, we see a perennial pro bowler outta Hodge. I know he's small, but I believe the guy has heart. OK. I'll have to give you his injuries.

Barnett was sheit when he entered the league. I was always defending him against a rabid Wist43.

I truly believe, barring injuries, Hodge, given the same shot at it as Barnett, would be the superior Mike. Just my opinion. And, Harv, piss off right now! :D