PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question

Partial
11-17-2008, 08:10 PM
As some of you may know, I haven't been happy with my living situation.

Today, I was looking over the lease that my roomates and I signed to see if there was any mistakes made on it or anything like that. Basically, I'm looking for leverage to get out of the lease.

Previouslyl, the landlord broke the terms of the lease by entering our unit without giving us permission and 12 hours notice. I however was an idiot and did not get the maintenance guy to sign anything! Doh!!

However, now I see these exact words on lease:

TERM: ( Strike either (a) or (b) )

(a) Month to month beginning on ______, ____; or
(b) For a term of __12___ months/beginning on __May 1st__, __2008__ and continuing to __May 1st__, __2009__.

The landlord checked A mistakenly, so in our agreement and per the instructions, we do not have a year commitment, we are month to month and can leave at any time.

While I realize this is a pretty nitpicky thing, to me it seems like there is a realistic chance that this would be a valid way to end my lease and have my roomates and I move out without consequence. Nutz, Skin, any chance you could run it past your significant others and see what they have to say? If its not legit I'm not going to bother, but from my uneducated and simple mind this seems like the "typo" I was looking for!

MadScientist
11-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but the contract says strike either a or b, which I would think means 'strike out' or 'remove', so if (a) is struck then (b) would be the terms of the contract.

If you are serious about breaking the lease, talk to a real lawyer. If you are a student, your campus may have a student legal service that you can use, without paying the $$.

Zool
11-17-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but the contract says strike either a or b, which I would think means 'strike out' or 'remove', so if (a) is struck then (b) would be the terms of the contract.

Also should be noted that A is not filled out but B is. I think you're right.

Partial
11-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Hmm, damn. That's not at all how I interpreted it, but that makes more sense. Crap.

HarveyWallbangers
11-17-2008, 10:22 PM
How long have you been living there? Oftentimes, you can get out of a lease early. They might make you pay an extra month's rent or something, but it might be worth it if you can afford it.

Partial
11-17-2008, 10:44 PM
How long have you been living there? Oftentimes, you can get out of a lease early. They might make you pay an extra month's rent or something, but it might be worth it if you can afford it.

Since May. It's a year long lease. One potential hurdle is that I live with friends and don't want to screw them over. They're really good guys, just not the best roommates for my lifestyle. I'm a pain in the ass of a roommate admittedly.

GrnBay007
11-17-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm a pain in the ass of a roommate admittedly.

Maybe try to mellow out for 6 months. :shock: :wink:

...or hang at Mom and Dad's a lot for the next 6 months.

GoPackGo
11-17-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm not a lawyer but you are definitely a tool. I would work that angle.

Partial
11-18-2008, 12:05 AM

Can't do it. I just like things neat. dishes done when you're done using them, garbage changed when its full, counters wiped off when they're not in use. I don't think a dish has been done here in over a month. It's pretty gross.

arcilite
11-18-2008, 12:09 AM

Can't do it. I just like things neat. dishes done when you're done using them, garbage changed when its full, counters wiped off when they're not in use. I don't think a dish has been done here in over a month. It's pretty gross.

It's college. It'll build character.

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2008, 12:16 AM

You didn't seem gay when I met you.
:D

My best advice is learn to deal with it. 90% of guys are like your roommates. If you learn to not let things bother you too much, you can go on living your life. Otherwise, wait 6 months and then live on your own.

MadScientist
11-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Any chance you can get someone to take over for you to live with the pigs? The landlord may be reasonable about switching people without a penalty, as long as he gets the rent.

SkinBasket
11-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Any chance your testicles descend before May and you stop crying about this fucking apartment already?

You made a bad decision. You're not going to die. Time to be a big boy.

As far as the landlord entering without 12 hour notice, that wasn't enough to get out your contract. Trying to find a mistake or typo he made to get out of a bad decision you made is a real shitty little princess thing to do anyway.

Patler
11-18-2008, 08:56 AM
As I understand it, your dissatisfaction is primarily with your roommates, correct? Since you seem to want to make your landlord "pay" for this by breaking your lease, I can only assume that the landlord must have assigned your roommates to you. I'm sure you would not expect someone else to bear the effect of a mistake you made in picking your roommates, right?

You are more than half-way through the one year lease already. By the time you figure out some way to slink out of your commitment, it won't be worth the effort.