PDA

View Full Version : That Pennington Magic

Patler
11-18-2008, 11:56 AM
He has totally amazed me with his ability to take a sinking organization, arguably the worst in the league in 2007, and turn them into a competitive and fun to watch franchise.

The Jets could use someone with the "it" factor like him around the team!
:twisted: :twisted:

Freak Out
11-18-2008, 12:03 PM
I thought you were the Stat Rat not the Pot Stirring Rat. :lol:

Patler
11-18-2008, 12:13 PM

I had avoided the thread that served as the namesake for this one, hoping it would just go away. But it continues to live and grow, so I looked at it. I got no farther than the opening post before I was compelled to start this one.

I think one can ask legitimately if the Jets would be any worse off with Pennington as their starter. He has been a decent QB at times, when healthy.

Gunakor
11-18-2008, 12:28 PM

I had avoided the thread that served as the namesake for this one, hoping it would just go away. But it continues to live and grow, so I looked at it. I got no farther than the opening post before I was compelled to start this one.

I think one can ask legitimately if the Jets would be any worse off with Pennington as their starter. He has been a decent QB at times, when healthy.

I have been saying for weeks now that the biggest FA move the Jets made was for Kris Jenkins, not Brett Favre. That defense is incredible. Night and day compared to last year. It's really amazing what they've done on that side of the ball in just one year's time.

But to be fair, I don't think the Jets win that game against the Patriots with Pennington under center. That was an outstanding performance by Favre and IMO the reason they were able to come away from it with a win.

Tarlam!
11-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Patler, I love this side of your posting, even more than when you bring us back down to earth with your stats.

This dry sense of humor of yours is absolute gold for our forum. Thank you.

Patler
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I have been saying for weeks now that the biggest FA move the Jets made was for Kris Jenkins, not Brett Favre. That defense is incredible. Night and day compared to last year. It's really amazing what they've done on that side of the ball in just one year's time.

But to be fair, I don't think the Jets win that game against the Patriots with Pennington under center. That was an outstanding performance by Favre and IMO the reason they were able to come away from it with a win.

That's just it, it's all speculation. No one can know for sure how Pennington would have played for the Jets, or how Favre would have played for the Packers. They are where they are, and Rodgers is where he is, and no one knows how any would have done with a team other than the one they are on. They may have won some the others lost, or lost some the others won. The only thing for certain is that all three are having decent season where they are.

RashanGary
11-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Jets record the last few years

10-6

4-12

10-6

4-12

(spent 140 million during the off season in free agency)
This year? ?

dissident94
11-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Chad Pennington's career win-loss 38-34

Brett Favre's win-loss 164-96

Favres winning % 63%

Pennington winning % 52%

This year

Favre winning % 70%

Pennington % 60%

No correlation that the Qb with the most wins in NFL history goes to a team and they are winning.

pbmax
11-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Every dope within arm's reach of a microphone loves to prattle on about NFL Parity, but there is a definite strength of schedule factor in the final records of NFL teams.

The Packers, whatever other problems have beset them this year, would have been hard pressed to match 13-3 against a tougher slate of opponents. This has benefited the Dolphins and Jets, though to be fair, it is not the only reason for their resurgence.

sharpe1027
11-18-2008, 01:10 PM
He has totally amazed me with his ability to take a sinking organization, arguably the worst in the league in 2007, and turn them into a competitive and fun to watch franchise.

I like where this is going.

How about the "it" factor of starting an unproven QB. Atlanta has been transformed by Ryan, whereas the Bengals and Colts were stupid because they stuck with a proven QB that had won for them in the past. The results speak for themselves, both the Bengals and Colts have worse records this year.

How about the "it" factor of a washed-up backup QB taking over for a young up-and-coming QB? The Titans (and until recently the Vikings) have shown the wisdom of this type of QB move.

pbmax
11-18-2008, 01:11 PM
No correlation that the Qb with the most wins in NFL history goes to a team and they are winning.
Quite probably a correlation, but if you unlocked your cerebral cortex from the confines of boring and endless seething anger, you might also notice the other new starters on the Jets and their easier schedule and conclude that Favre is likely one of several factors in the Jets improvement.

Patler
11-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Quite probably a correlation, but if you unlocked your cerebral cortex from the confines of boring and endless seething anger, you might also notice the other new starters on the Jets and their easier schedule and conclude that Favre is likely one of several factors in the Jets improvement.

Not only that, you also can't ignore that while the Jets were 4-12 in 2007, in 2006 they were 10-6. Miami has been trending downward; 9-7 in 2005 to 6-10 in 2006, to 1-15 in 2007. It can be argued that Miami at 6-4 is a much bigger surprise and more of a turnaround than the Jets being at 7-3 only one year removed from their 10-6 season.

sharpe1027
11-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Not only that, you also can't ignore that while the Jets were 4-12 in 2007, in 2006 they were 10-6. Miami has been trending downward; 9-7 in 2005 to 6-10 in 2006, to 1-15 in 2007. It can be argued that Miami at 6-4 is a much bigger surprise and more of a turnaround than the Jets being at 7-3 only one year removed from their 10-6 season.

Soo...using the logic that Favre>>>Rodgers because of the Jets success, one naturally concludes that Pennington>>>Favre because of Miami's success. We end up with Pennington>>>Favre>>>Rodgers. Pennington should be a first ballot HoF'er after his career is done.

Zool
11-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Soo...using the logic that Favre>>>Rodgers because of the Jets success, one naturally concludes that Pennington>>>Favre because of Miami's success. We end up with Pennington>>>Favre>>>Rodgers. Pennington should be a first ballot HoF'er after his career is done.

Exactly. Speculation and conjecture are => fact.

Patler
11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Chad Pennington's career win-loss 38-34

Brett Favre's win-loss 164-96

Favres winning % 63%

Pennington winning % 52%

This year

Favre winning % 70%

Pennington % 60%

Assuming your numbers are correct, and I have no reason to believe they are not, then before 2007 Favre was 151-93 and Pennington was 37-27 as a starter. Favre's winning percentage was 61.8 and Pennington 57.8. This year Favre has one more win than Pennington.

Patler
11-18-2008, 01:36 PM

It all makes perfect sense. Chad Pennington may be the best QB in NFL history! :lol:

bobblehead
11-18-2008, 01:45 PM
and you all thought I was joking when I really wanted pennington as a "throw in" on the BF trade. We needed an experienced backup, and having one that is proven better than favre (by this thread) would have been a great trade.

Partial
11-18-2008, 05:24 PM
I'd say its a healthy Dolphins team with a strong leader that is the difference.

Pennington is a lot like A-Rod imo. Good enough to win games behind a strong running game. A-Rod has the potential to be far more than Pennington could ever dream, though, with his arm strength and scrambling ability.

sharpe1027
11-18-2008, 05:46 PM
I'd say its a healthy Dolphins team with a strong leader that is the difference.

Pennington is a lot like A-Rod imo. Good enough to win games behind a strong running game. A-Rod has the potential to be far more than Pennington could ever dream, though, with his arm strength and scrambling ability.

No, no, no. You can't use other considerations in your analysis. Please try again.

gex
11-18-2008, 10:52 PM

I always liked Pennington as a good game manager type, but when talking about the Dolphins and the "it" factor that ball rests in one Mr. Parcells court. He definetly has "it"

MOBB DEEP
11-19-2008, 12:08 AM
darnit, can packerrats be "saved" lol

gex
11-19-2008, 12:09 AM
darnit, can packerrats be "saved" lol

lol :lol:

Gunakor
11-19-2008, 11:47 AM

I always liked Pennington as a good game manager type, but when talking about the Dolphins and the "it" factor that ball rests in one Mr. Parcells court. He definetly has "it"

Parcells neither coaches nor plays for that team though. He definitely has that "it" factor, but I'm not sure how that would translate to the football field on gameday.

LEWCWA
11-19-2008, 10:01 PM
You are right Pennington is a stud!

Harlan Huckleby
11-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Hasn't Pennington had shoulder problems the last couple seasons? Maybe he is just healthy again.

MOBB DEEP
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
i know on the jets forum cats were happy as larks he was shipped out of there

NO ARM....!!!

Gunakor
11-20-2008, 12:32 PM

NO ARM....!!!

That's what I had heard too, but then he threw a 50 yard strike to Ted Ginn Jr. and laid it in perfectly for a TD. Limp arm my ass. His bum shoulder hurt his arm strength the past couple of seasons, perhaps, but now that he appears healthy he can get the ball downfield.

MOBB DEEP
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM

NO ARM....!!!

That's what I had heard too, but then he threw a 50 yard strike to Ted Ginn Jr. and laid it in perfectly for a TD. Limp arm my ass. His bum shoulder hurt his arm strength the past couple of seasons, perhaps, but now that he appears healthy he can get the ball downfield.

i agree