PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Thread

Partial
11-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Anybody looking over the ad scans and planning out what they're going to go shopping for?

The ads seem really weak this year. Kohls almost seems like it has the best ad.

Ads can be found here:
http://www.blackfriday.info/

LL2
11-19-2008, 11:05 PM
There will probably be black Friday deals all the way to Christmas day this year with the way the economy sucks!

GBRulz
11-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Many are starting their BF sales early this year, too. and yes, you know the economy is bad when the Packer Pro Shop has all of their sweatshirts, fleece, outerwear, etc on sale for 30% off. I actually did some Christmas shopping there last week.

I'm always up north for Thanksgiving and the weekend. Am I going to get up at 4 am to go shopping in the huge metropolis of Rhinelander? hell no.

sheepshead
11-20-2008, 07:22 AM
I thought you meant the market was going to tank even more this friday---whew

Partial
11-20-2008, 09:10 AM
So far, though, the actual sales have sucked, which is interesting considering the economy.

3irty1
11-20-2008, 01:21 PM
So far, though, the actual sales have sucked, which is interesting considering the economy.

Yeah what's up with that? I haven't seen anything special yet.

Freak Out
11-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Save your money.

LL2
11-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Save your money.

Good advice. They are saying the deals will be better next year after the holidays. Retailers will probably be getting rid of stuff at fire sale prices.

MadScientist
11-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Given the pile of shit pretending to be an economy, total sales are going to be way down no matter what the retailers do. So it makes sense that the actual deals won't be as good, so that the retailers have some chance to make up for it in the margins.

Also I heard that inventories are going to be less this year because the credit crunch is reducing the amount of loans the retailers can get to purchase stock for the holidays.

Freak Out
11-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Save your money.

Good advice. They are saying the deals will be better next year after the holidays. Retailers will probably be getting rid of stuff at fire sale prices.

You might need it for food later.

Partial
11-20-2008, 06:42 PM

Yeah what's up with that? I haven't seen anything special yet.

Kohls is the only good ad, which is just sad :D

I'm thinking about picking up the 23 piece stainless steel cooking set they have in the ad, as well as a silverware set for cheap.

MJZiggy
11-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Never fear!!! This is my annual shopping weekend with the girls. We'll have the economy back on its feet by Monday!! :P

red
11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
i need to find a cheap micro fridge for laggering beer

arcilite
11-20-2008, 08:32 PM
i need a cheap freezer for all the dead bodies

MJZiggy
11-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I'll check for sales for you...

MJZiggy
11-23-2008, 07:10 PM
If the economy tanks, it ain't my fault....I did my part to keep it floating!

red
11-23-2008, 09:18 PM

i suppose you were one of the 2 billion + women that i saw at the mall in appleton yesterday

it was like a 500:1 ratio of girls to guys

MJZiggy
11-23-2008, 09:20 PM
No, there's a HUUUUGE outlet center in Delaware and the girls and I (no men, no kids) always go the weekend before Black Friday to get our Christmas shopping started and bargain hunt (updating wardrobes as needed--I started the job this year, so I needed a lot).

Zool
11-23-2008, 09:20 PM

i suppose you were one of the 2 billion + women that i saw at the mall in appleton yesterday

it was like a 500:1 ratio of girls to guys

Sounds like a good place to be.

SkinBasket
11-23-2008, 09:24 PM

You're such a homo.

red
11-23-2008, 09:28 PM
eh

i missed my number. i was gunning for 7

but i only laid 5 in the bathroom

with those odds my number should have been better. i didn't bring my A game

arcilite
11-23-2008, 09:59 PM
eh

i missed my number. i was gunning for 7

but i only laid 5 in the bathroom

with those odds my number should have been better. i didn't bring my A game

wat

Zool
11-24-2008, 08:28 AM

You're such a homo.

For the last time Skin, I'm a guy and no I wont toss your salad.

SkinBasket
11-24-2008, 08:44 AM

You're such a homo.

Oh, don't pretend this is our last time. I know you'll want more. You always do.

Zool
11-24-2008, 09:02 AM

You're such a homo.

Oh, don't pretend this is our last time. I know you'll want more. You always do.

Its completely over. You're cute and all, but those surveillance photos you have of me in your darkroom are too much. We had some good times Skin. Dont spoil it.

SkinBasket
11-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Its completely over. You're cute and all, but those surveillance photos you have of me in your darkroom are too much. We had some good times Skin. Dont spoil it.

I promised myself I would never share those with anyone. It's inside me and makes me... arrrrghhhhhh. But you've hurt us for the last time. THE LAST TIME!!!!!

http://buckeyebanter.com/myspace/fat_guy_in_girl_underwear.jpg

Freak Out
11-25-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/black-friday-electronics,review-1163.html

Joemailman
11-28-2008, 06:32 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE4AR4QU20081128

Surging shoppers kill New York Wal-Mart worker
Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:16pm EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A man working for Wal-Mart was killed on Friday when a throng of shoppers surged into a Long Island, New York, store and physically broke down the doors, a police spokesman said.

The 34-year-old man was at the entrance of the Valley Stream Walmart store just after it opened at 5 a.m. local time and was knocked to the ground, the police report said.

The exact cause of death was still to be determined by a medical examiner.

Four shoppers, including a 28-year-old pregnant woman, were also taken to local hospitals for injuries sustained in the incident, police said.

Wal-Mart said it was saddened by the death of the man, who was working for a temporary employment agency serving the discount retailer, and by the injuries suffered by shoppers.

"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," the world's largest retailer said in a statement. It said the incident was still under investigation and referred any other inquiries to local police.

The Friday after America's Thanksgiving holiday is known a Black Friday and marks what is traditionally the busiest retail day of the year, kicking off the Christmas shopping season.

U.S. stores across the country opened in the early hours of Friday to offer discounts to consumers hit by a contracting economy. Hundreds of shoppers waited on line before dawn at some locations to secure deals on holiday gifts.

(Reporting by Michele Gershberg; Editing by Daniel Trotta and Sandra Maler)

Hope the morons who trampled this guy got some really good deals. Personally I find the whole Black Friday craze a tad repulsive. Hyper-consumerism run amok.

Freak Out
11-28-2008, 06:46 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE4AR4QU20081128

Surging shoppers kill New York Wal-Mart worker
Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:16pm EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A man working for Wal-Mart was killed on Friday when a throng of shoppers surged into a Long Island, New York, store and physically broke down the doors, a police spokesman said.

The 34-year-old man was at the entrance of the Valley Stream Walmart store just after it opened at 5 a.m. local time and was knocked to the ground, the police report said.

The exact cause of death was still to be determined by a medical examiner.

Four shoppers, including a 28-year-old pregnant woman, were also taken to local hospitals for injuries sustained in the incident, police said.

Wal-Mart said it was saddened by the death of the man, who was working for a temporary employment agency serving the discount retailer, and by the injuries suffered by shoppers.

"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," the world's largest retailer said in a statement. It said the incident was still under investigation and referred any other inquiries to local police.

The Friday after America's Thanksgiving holiday is known a Black Friday and marks what is traditionally the busiest retail day of the year, kicking off the Christmas shopping season.

U.S. stores across the country opened in the early hours of Friday to offer discounts to consumers hit by a contracting economy. Hundreds of shoppers waited on line before dawn at some locations to secure deals on holiday gifts.

(Reporting by Michele Gershberg; Editing by Daniel Trotta and Sandra Maler)

Hope the morons who trampled this guy got some really good deals. Personally I find the whole Black Friday craze a tad repulsive. Hyper-consumerism run amok.

Black Friday is right. Fucking savages. I refuse to take part in it.

MJZiggy
11-28-2008, 07:34 PM
I did the shopping thing last week and took my kid to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum today. Then we went to dinner and ate like pigs. Fun day.

SkinBasket
11-28-2008, 09:30 PM
I did the shopping thing last week and took my kid to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum today. Then we went to dinner and ate like pigs. Fun day.

You are exactly what is wrong with America!

MJZiggy
11-28-2008, 09:44 PM
What? He just finished studying sea turtles in school and wanted to see the new ocean exhibit....

digitaldean
11-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I stood by with my wife for 3-4 Black Fridays when we first got married.

One year we went to a warehouse sale and she nearly got trampled (of course she was pregnant at the time). I had to physically hold my arms back and lean into the morons to keep them from pinning her up against a wall too. That ended the Blk Fri. early deals for me.

My 2 oldest kids went today with their adult cousin. Idiots at the local Target only opened 1 door and funneled several hundred people thru the 1 door. My wife went to the area ShopKo about 2 hours after they opened and got a new 3-extension phone at 50% off that was part of the doorbuster deals. Beats freezing your a** off in the cold.

Was going to get a refurb 4GB iPod Nano (3rd gen) for $79 at the Apple website. But I found a 4GB SanDisk Sansa Fuze at BestBuy.com's Blk Fri deal site for $49. (it's retails for $99 and is expandable via microSD plus has an FM tuner) WOO-HOO!

Found 2 Wii games for my son on Amazon for a deal vs. the brick/mortar ads.

I love shopping without having to leave my computer!

Freak Out
11-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Wal-Mart Employee Trampled to Death
By ROBERT D. McFADDEN and ANGELA MACROPOULOS

The throng of Wal-Mart shoppers had been building all night, filling sidewalks and stretching across a vast parking lot at the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream, N.Y. At 3:30 a.m., the Nassau County police had to be called in for crowd control, and an officer with a bullhorn pleaded for order.

Tension grew as the 5 a.m. opening neared. Someone taped up a crude poster: “Blitz Line Starts Here.”

By 4:55, with no police officers in sight, the crowd of more than 2,000 had become a rabble, and could be held back no longer. Fists banged and shoulders pressed on the sliding-glass double doors, which bowed in with the weight of the assault. Six to 10 workers inside tried to push back, but it was hopeless.

Suddenly, witnesses and the police said, the doors shattered, and the shrieking mob surged through in a blind rush for holiday bargains. One worker, Jdimytai Damour, 34, was thrown back onto the black linoleum tiles and trampled in the stampede that streamed over and around him. Others who had stood alongside Mr. Damour trying to hold the doors were also hurled back and run over, witnesses said.

Some workers who saw what was happening fought their way through the surge to get to Mr. Damour, but he had been fatally injured, the police said. Emergency workers tried to revive Mr. Damour, a temporary worker hired for the holiday season, at the scene, but he was pronounced dead an hour later at Franklin Hospital Medical Center in Valley Stream.

Four other people, including a 28-year-old woman who was described as eight months pregnant, were treated at the hospital for minor injuries.

Detective Lt. Michael Fleming, who is in charge of the investigation for the Nassau police, said the store lacked adequate security. He called the scene “utter chaos” and said the “crowd was out of control.” As for those who had run over the victim, criminal charges were possible, the lieutenant said. “I’ve heard other people call this an accident, but it is not,” he said. “Certainly it was a foreseeable act.”

But even with videos from the store’s surveillance cameras and the accounts of witnesses, Lieutenant Fleming and other officials acknowledged that it would be difficult to identify those responsible, let alone to prove culpability.

Some shoppers who had seen the stampede said they were shocked. One of them, Kimberly Cribbs of Queens, said the crowd had acted like “savages.” Shoppers behaved badly even as the store was being cleared, she recalled.

“When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, ‘I’ve been on line since yesterday morning,’ ” Ms. Cribbs told The Associated Press. “They kept shopping.”

Wal-Mart security officials and the police cleared the store, swept up the shattered glass and locked the doors until 1 p.m., when it reopened to a steady stream of calmer shoppers who passed through the missing doors and battered door jambs, apparently unaware that anything had happened.

Ugly shopping scenes, a few involving injuries, have become commonplace during the bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. The nation’s largest retail group, the National Retail Federation, said it had never heard of a worker being killed on Black Friday.

Wal-Mart declined to provide details of the stampede, but said in a statement that it had tried to prepare by adding staff members. Still, it was unclear how many security workers it had at the Valley Stream store for the opening on Friday. The Green Acres Mall provides its own security to supplement the staffs of some large stores, but it did not appear that Wal-Mart was one of them.

A Wal-Mart spokesman, Dan Folgleman, called it a “tragic situation,” and said the victim had been hired from a temporary staffing agency and assigned to maintenance work. Wal-Mart, in a statement issued at its headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., said: “The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this tragic time.”

Wal-Mart has successfully resisted unionization of its employees. New York State’s largest grocery union, Local 1500 of the United Food and Commercial Workers, called the death of Mr. Damour “avoidable” and demanded investigations.

“Where were the safety barriers?” said Bruce Both, the union president. “Where was security? How did store management not see dangerous numbers of customers barreling down on the store in such an unsafe manner? This is not just tragic; it rises to a level of blatant irresponsibility by Wal-Mart.”

While other Wal-Mart stores dot the suburbs around the city, the outlet at Valley Stream, less than two miles from New York City’s southeastern border, draws customers from Queens, Brooklyn and the densely populated suburbs of Nassau County. And it was not the only store in the Green Acres Mall that attracted large crowds.

Witnesses said the crowd outside Wal-Mart began gathering at 9 p.m. on Thursday. The night was not bitterly cold, and the early mood was relaxed. By the early morning hours, the throngs had grown, and officers of the Fifth Precinct of the Nassau County Police Department, who patrol Valley Stream, were out in force, checking on crowds at the mall.

Mr. Damour, who lived in Queens, went into the store sometime during the night to stock shelves and perform maintenance work.

On Friday night, Mr. Damour’s father, Ogera Charles, 67, said his son had spent Thursday evening having Thanksgiving dinner at a half sister’s house in Queens before going directly to work. Mr. Charles said his son, known as Jimmy, was raised in Queens by his mother and worked at various stores in the area after graduating from high school.

Mr. Charles said he had not seen his son in three months, and heard about his death about 7 a.m. Friday, when a friend of Mr. Damour’s called him at home. He arrived at Franklin Hospital Medical Center an hour later to identify the body. Mr. Charles said he was angry that no one from Wal-Mart had contacted him or had explained how his son had died. Maria Damour, Mr. Damour’s mother, was in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, but was on her way back to the United States, Mr. Charles said.

About the time that Mr. Damour was killed, a shopper at a Wal-Mart in Farmingdale, 15 miles east of Valley Stream, said she was trampled by a crowd of overeager customers, the Suffolk County police reported. The woman sustained a cut on her leg, but finished her shopping before filing the police report, an officer said.

Anahad O’Connor contributed reporting.

Bretsky
11-29-2008, 12:10 AM
wife picked up a 50" Samsung Plasma HDTV at Walmart today for $798; nice deal.

MJZiggy
11-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Anyone else get anything good? I picked up a red leather laptop briefcase at the Wilson Outlet for $41--and gloves for $12.

digitaldean
11-30-2008, 11:34 AM

SCORE!!! That's a pretty sweet deal...what resolution 720p or 1080?

Bretsky
11-30-2008, 11:46 AM

SCORE!!! That's a pretty sweet deal...what resolution 720p or 1080?

It is 720P but my father bought the model for over double the price last year so I know it has a real nice picture.

Wife is set on restructuring the downstairs entertainment room so we may be replacing the 55" Mitsubishi HD Ready TV with the 50" Plasma Samsung

The daughters are campaigning spouse to move the 55" in the living room but chicks are stubborn :lol: