PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to return Punts/kicks?

Tony Oday
06-29-2006, 06:30 PM
I have no idea now :)

Fosco33
06-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Kick and Punt Returners

Kick Returners: Cory Rodgers; Ahmad Carroll; Najeh Davenport; Will Blackmon; Robert Ferguson

The Packers’ difficult 2005 extended to kickoffs, where 12 different players had returns. CB Ahmad Carroll led the way with 19 returns and a 20.5 average. Injuries have limited RB Najeh Davenport the past two years. He played in only five games in 2005 (10 returns, 18.9 avg.). WR Robert Ferguson had an increased role on offense and a reduced role on returns in 2005 (2 returns, 22.0 avg.). He also missed games last year, and has not played a full 16 games since 2002. The Packers used the draft to hopefully fix the return position. Fourth round draft pick WR Cory Rodgers returned kickoffs (30.3 avg. ranked 3rd) for TCU. He can take it the distance, and did so twice on kickoffs last year. Joining the backups is fourth round draft pick WR Will Blackmon who returned both kickoffs (22.2 avg.) and punts (8.3 avg.) for Boston College last year.

Punt Returners: Cory Rodgers; Greg Jennings; Will Blackmon; Charles Woodson; Robert Ferguson

Free agency took the Packers punt returner, Antonio Chatman who had returned nearly every punt for them the last three years. That left them very thin at this position prior to the draft. The early favorite to replace him is rookie Cory Rodgers, who averaged 15.3 yards (ranked 8th) on punt returns last year. Second round draft pick WR Greg Jennings averaged 8.6 yards returning punts for Western Michigan last year, and scored twice during his career. Free agent acquisition CB Charles Woodson occasionally returned punts for the Raiders (3 returns, 6.7 avg. last year). The Packers used him on punt returns in minicamp. Robert Ferguson hasn’t returned a punt since his rookie year.

Willard
06-29-2006, 07:47 PM
From the OTA reports Cory Rodgers has an explosion that the others have not shown. Now Grandpa Stock needs to make sure he has the ball in his hands before he wows us with his speed!

I think the Pack is really counting on Rodgers to grow a pair of hands before the season starts. If he has a chronic case of the Drops what is the Pack supposed to do with this 4th rounder??

PackerPro42
06-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm guessing that Jennings and Rogers will be the heads of that department.

MJZiggy
06-29-2006, 07:53 PM
From the OTA reports Cory Rodgers has an explosion that the others have not shown. Now Grandpa Stock needs to make sure he has the ball in his hands before he wows us with his speed!

I think the Pack is really counting on Rodgers to grow a pair of hands before the season starts. If he has a chronic case of the Drops what is the Pack supposed to do with this 4th rounder??

Stick 'um? Duct tape rolled into little circles and stuck to the palms of his gloves?

Harlan Huckleby
06-29-2006, 08:08 PM
From the OTA reports Cory Rodgers has an explosion that the others have not shown.

handgun?

(this is too easy.)

the_idle_threat
06-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Who is going to return Punts/kicks?

Any volunteers?

Oh hell, I'll do it.

the_idle_threat
06-29-2006, 08:14 PM
From the OTA reports Cory Rodgers has an explosion that the others have not shown.

handgun?

(this is too easy.)

5-alarm chili

Fosco33
06-29-2006, 08:21 PM

handgun?

(this is too easy.)

5-alarm chili

72 Virgins

the_idle_threat
06-29-2006, 08:22 PM

handgun?

(this is too easy.)

5-alarm chili

72 Virgins

:lol: jeez, we just go from bad to worse, don't we?

MJZiggy
06-29-2006, 08:24 PM
It's the offseason.

RashanGary
06-29-2006, 09:05 PM
I think Rodgers returns punts and Blackmon returns kicks. That is my guess. I think Jennings will push for #2 WR.

bigcoz75
06-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Gado had been getting some work on the KR team also.

Pack0514
06-30-2006, 08:24 AM
I think Rodgers returns punts and Blackmon returns kicks. That is my guess. I think Jennings will push for #2 WR.

My guts says Blackmon goes on IR just to stash him for a year. Its not like we really need him at this point. He will definitely be needed down the road though.

Woodson, Harris, Carroll, Hawkins, and somebody like Horton will get us through the year.

pittstang5
06-30-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm thinking Rogers will return punts and Jennings and Blackmon will be back to return kick offs. Blackmon, if he can practice in TC, may push Rogers for the punt return job. I hope he can get healthy. I really liked this pick and think he can be a solid contributer to the Defense and SP teams.

Brandon494
06-30-2006, 10:30 AM
I was really hoping for Blackmon to be the man on returning kicks this season but I'm not so sure not after the injury. Right now I would have to say either Jennings, Rodgers, or Carroll would be the main guys.

packiowa
06-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Rodgers was an elite return man (epecially punt) in college. He won't have to "develop" and pair of hands, although he may have to remember how to use them.

I'd bet he returns punts, maybe KR.

Jennings should get a chance if he isn't at least an important #3 WR.

woodbuck27
06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
"Jennings should get a chance if he isn't at least an important #3 WR." packiowa

I don't like the idea of Greg Jennings being used as a kick or punt return man. Re-call Terrence Murphy.

It's obvious to me, that Cory Rodgers will be OUR #1 candidate to handle punts if he can just find a handle on the ball, catch the dam thing. I believe I read that this was a problem for him in the College game as well.

I think we will see Ahmad Carroll returning more KO's this season. If Najeh Davenport is ready he could do this and as well Robert Ferguson.

Will Blackmon has a ton of ability and in my sight, Reggie Bush style moves. He is suposed to be back for TC from his injury, and he could be of real value to us on ST's. He looked really good on film at CB and WR and returns kicks very well.

The idea of hiding Blackmon on IR, as some suggest, isn't out of the realm of possibility too. Will Blackmon has a ton of potential for 'the Packers' and in my mind was a terrific pick.

Partial
06-30-2006, 01:50 PM
yes, I noticed they drafted all guys with some shake to them.

Fergie and Walker don't/didn't seem to have any shake/agility to them, instead rely on their power. These guys all seem very agile and quick at cutting.

ahaha
06-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Walter Stanley had shake. Of course, that usually meant juking left and right and then back 10 yards before picking up -5. I'd be happy with someone who goes straight ahead, as fast as they can, and juke later on.

LEWCWA
07-01-2006, 04:23 AM
anyone but Fergy