PDA

View Full Version : Colledge clicks in third season

HarveyWallbangers
11-20-2008, 11:09 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081120/PKR01/81120191/1058

This was supposed to be the year Daryn Colledge ran out of chances.

Allen Barbre was supposed to beat him out for the starting job at left guard. When Barbre didn’t, rookie Josh Sitton was supposed to get the nod.

But sometime during the Green Bay Packers’ offseason-long guard derby — perhaps, because of it — Colledge made the leap the team had been waiting for.

In his third NFL season, Colledge has done more than hang onto his place in the lineup. He’s arguably playing the best and the most consistently of anyone on the offensive line...

He still sounds borderline cocky later in the article, but it appears the coaches are happy with his play. Actually, the interior OL has much less of a problem than recent years, but the edge guys have struggled more.

Jimx29
11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
He still sounds borderline cocky later in the article, but it appears the coaches are happy with his play.I recall last year he was on the Donald Driver show and they did a spot with him and his house, etc.... and he really came off as arrogant then

boiga
11-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I've been enjoying his "The Colledge Experience" clips on the official Packers site. Colledge is still a blowhard, but the other players give him shit and he's a good sport about it. I think Spitz being his roommate has helped him keep a level head about it all.

This year, he's been much more willing to take responsibility on his own shoulders for his mistakes. Even when he has a good game, he's stressing his own need for improvement. He still sounds like a cocky bastard, but he's a cocky bastard with the right mindset to help the team.

As far as his play is concerned, the improvement has been dramatic. Where as last year he was consistently bull rushed by opposing D-Linemen, he's been a rock in Pass defense. And I was amazed that he can actually push quality D-Linemen back in the run game now. He's turned a corner, kudos to Daryn.

Now if only he didn't have a crush on Palin....

PlantPage55
11-21-2008, 12:14 AM
“I expect myself to have success in my position now. The excuses are over,” Colledge said this week. “If I’m not producing now, they’re going to find somebody who can.

“Luckily, I’m playing at a level right now that I seem to be able to keep my job, and as long as I’m doing that, then I’m helping this team win.”

I don't see how he's cocky now. In the past, I've seen it. But this article? Everything he's saying is absolutely the right thing to say.

He expects to be good. He knows that he will not be around if he ISN'T. He's right. He NEEDS to play well now that he's been around 3 years.

And it's true - if he plays well, the team is better for it. It's all about the team. How is that cocky?

Freak Out
11-21-2008, 12:17 AM
North Pole guys are bull headed and slow learning but they tend to be some tough bastards. People who know him knew with the right coaching he could get it done.

HarveyWallbangers
11-21-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't see how he's cocky now. In the past, I've seen it. But this article? Everything he's saying is absolutely the right thing to say.

You are right. That's why I said borderline cocky.

"I knew who I was. I know what I’ve done. I know the success that I’ve had."

Coming from Driver, I don't think this would sound cocky. Just having seen Colledge in previous interviews made this come across as a little cocky to me.

RashanGary
11-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Those guys were very young, thrust into a position that they never should have been.

Now, that they've had the time to become players we have two good guards. Next year, with Sitton hopefully taking the step forward we'll have the abilty to replace Wells and have a dman solid interior line.

hoosier
11-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Color me a skeptic on Colledge. Memories of him whiffing repeatedly against TB are still fresh in my mind. I'll believe it when I see it for a whole season.

KYPack
11-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Colledge has improved by baby steps. He hasn't had a blow out, horrible game this season. His low point came in Pre-Season vs SF. I'm sure the presence of MTP threw him off his game (that and a stint at LT really had the boy reeling).

After that one, he settled down. He still isn't a marquee OLineman, but in general, he's consistent and gets his job done. That's a helluva a lot better year than his previous stints where he's been benched for poor performance a few times.

DC will be a good player for us, I think, and this is his turnaround year. Now if these guys can gel and get it together, we may have a dominant OLine in years to come.

Kiwon
11-21-2008, 07:57 AM
The radio guys had a lot of good things to say about his play during the last broadcast.

Fritz
11-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Interesting. After the Minnesota game, I was starting to wonder if TT's tenure would tank into the toilet (gotta love that alliteration) due to the play of the offensive line. I thought that maybe TT's future might be at stake - he seems to have put together most of the parts in most position groups, but at drafting offensive lineman he seemed to be doing poorly.

One game later, all is well - for the moment. Wow. All I can say is that it'd sure be nice if Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, and/or Barbre worked out...and Harv is right - the tackles haven't necessarily held up.

I tried not to panic and freak out this season. After the Tennessee loss, I even started a thread called "I Am Optimistic." But the Minny loss really got me down; thus I wondered if maybe, after all, TT was not going to be able to get it done.

Oh me of little faith.

I hope I was wrong.

red
11-21-2008, 08:11 AM
my how opinions change after one game

him and the rest of the line (all 5 guys) sucked hard right up until the last game

pbmax
11-21-2008, 08:24 AM
He still isn't a marquee OLineman, but in general, he's consistent and gets his job done. That's a helluva a lot better year than his previous stints where he's been benched for poor performance a few times.
What's the opposite of damning with faint praise? Hallelujah for faint praise? :lol:

Its looks far more positive for Colledge and the inside guys now, but like Fritz, I want to be assured that the Minnesota game was an aberration. A long string of strong performances starting Monday will do just fine, thank you.

Fritz
11-21-2008, 10:03 AM
I know little or nothing about the Saints' defensive ends. Anybody have a scoop on who they are, and whether Clifton and Tauscher match up okay?

And how about their D-tackles?

HarveyWallbangers
11-21-2008, 10:19 AM
him and the rest of the line (all 5 guys) sucked hard right up until the last game

I'm not sure people are saying the OL has been good. I think it's more that the interior OL have made some improvement, but our OTs have a bigger problem this year.

Patler
11-21-2008, 10:24 AM
He still isn't a marquee OLineman, but in general, he's consistent and gets his job done. That's a helluva a lot better year than his previous stints where he's been benched for poor performance a few times.
What's the opposite of damning with faint praise? Hallelujah for faint praise? :lol:

Its looks far more positive for Colledge and the inside guys now, but like Fritz, I want to be assured that the Minnesota game was an aberration. A long string of strong performances starting Monday will do just fine, thank you.

It is a strange article. Starts out as if it will praise his year-long performance, but then almost states that he has improved so much he might not get benched midseason for another no-name never-did-anything lineman, like he has been the last two years. He hasn't been good all year, he has been better since the Tampa game, six whole games. Campen's comments were sort of lukewarm.

I will admit that he seemingly has improved, but nothing will surprise me about him at this point. I could see others passing him by and the Packers letting him go when his contract expires, and I can see him developing to the point of having a long career in Green Bay. I think he has shown the potential to go either direction.

rbaloha1
11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
DC is much more consistent. The cockiness is a positive.

Still think DC is a better left tackle. Interesting if TT decides against signing Clifton.

Patler
11-21-2008, 11:36 AM
DC is much more consistent. The cockiness is a positive.

Still think DC is a better left tackle. Interesting if TT decides against signing Clifton.

Clifton has one year left on his contract, and I think he will retire when it is up. In an article last season he talked about how much it would mean to him to finish out his contract, because he always felt 10 years was a significant level to achieve as a pro. He said in his mind 10 years was a full career, not one cut short, and he wanted to feel that he had a full career. The surprising thing to me was a comment from him suggesting that he wasn't sure his body could hold out through 2009. His physical problems even last year must have been more than he let on. I don't think he will be looking for anything beyond the 2009 season.

KYPack
11-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I know little or nothing about the Saints' defensive ends. Anybody have a scoop on who they are, and whether Clifton and Tauscher match up okay?

And how about their D-tackles?

This is a solid DLine.

The ends are Bobby McCray on the left and Wil Smith (not the actor) at RDE. McCray is tall and rangy, a speed guy. Smith is shorter, but strong as a bull. Both have 10 sack seasons in their careers and are experienced 5 year men. Smith is also "famous" for being in limbo over the Starcaps diuretic scandal. I was hoping that Smith would be suspended by this game.

The tackles are Kendrick Clancy, is a solid role player and 10 year vet at LDT and nose if they shift to a 3-4. The RDT is Sedrick Ellis, a high #1 pick who is playing well in his rookie year and a future NFL star.

This is a solid bunch, tough to run against. They've only given up 1 game to a hundred yard rusher this season.

We may beat the Saints, but we won't take advantage of this bunch while doing so. They are a much stronger group than the Bears, say.

For all you Chris Francies fans, the Saints signed him to the PS this week.

boiga
11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
This is a solid bunch, tough to run against. They've only given up 1 game to a hundred yard rusher this season.

I'm not sure that their level of play this season justifies that statement, KY. With all of the injuries to their defensive backfield this year, the saints have become a fairly poor defense. According to FO, they have only been average against the run this year, and piss poor against the pass. They are 28th in adjusted sack rate, and 27th in defending short yardage situations. However, they are in the upper third in stuffing the RB and defending against long runs.

All in all, NO is setup similarly to Chicago in that they are vulnerable against the pass, but better against the run. However, the Saints are statistically worse in both categories when compared to Chicago. That's doesn't mean that Grant'll get another 140 yrds this game, but we should have a good deal of success on the ground, in short yardage situations, and picking up 3rd downs.

pbmax
11-21-2008, 12:43 PM

It is a strange article. Starts out as if it will praise his year-long performance, but then almost states that he has improved so much he might not get benched midseason for another no-name never-did-anything lineman, like he has been the last two years. He hasn't been good all year, he has been better since the Tampa game, six whole games. Campen's comments were sort of lukewarm.

I will admit that he seemingly has improved, but nothing will surprise me about him at this point. I could see others passing him by and the Packers letting him go when his contract expires, and I can see him developing to the point of having a long career in Green Bay. I think he has shown the potential to go either direction.
Reading WAY between the lines, it might be that the unspoken part of the equation from the coaches perspective (and the reason for the article) is motivation. Colledge won back (although it was default by injury I think) his job twice and improved after being benched in two consecutive years.

If he was ever going to be the weekly starter, the coaches might have reasoned he needs to be fearful of his job from day one of offseason. Hence the Barbre talk. That would fit since we kept hearing about Barbre but never saw him pass Colledge in playing time, except perhaps in practice a couple of times. If I recall, this was driving many of us nuts, especially after Colledge would have a bad stretch.

If you read the article assuming that they have been threatening Colledge with Barbre (and Spitz with Sitton) since February/March, it makes more sense. After all, coaches tell us what they really think by anointing starters and doling out playing time, not giving interviews.

As for his play this year, Campen seems to be saying Colledge has had mistakes, but has responded to them positively with better play without having to go the bench. Lo and behold, you string together a nearly-mistake free couple of games, then you look like you have arrived.

KYPack
11-21-2008, 01:12 PM

I'm not sure that their level of play this season justifies that statement, KY. With all of the injuries to their defensive backfield this year, the saints have become a fairly poor defense. According to FO, they have only been average against the run this year, and piss poor against the pass. They are 28th in adjusted sack rate, and 27th in defending short yardage situations. However, they are in the upper third in stuffing the RB and defending against long runs.

All in all, NO is setup similarly to Chicago in that they are vulnerable against the pass, but better against the run. However, the Saints are statistically worse in both categories when compared to Chicago. That's doesn't mean that Grant'll get another 140 yrds this game, but we should have a good deal of success on the ground, in short yardage situations, and picking up 3rd downs.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I mainly was giving my opinion on their down 4. I'm telling you, they are all tough capable guys. The overall defense is leaky against the pass, especially with the injuries to their DB's. I didn't know that short yardage stat, that's a surprise to me. Their backers are basically overachievers, that can give up plays.

This is gonna be a good game. Two 5-5 teams that really need the win. The teams that converts touchdown opportunities outta win.

I see a high scoring shoot-out. Hope we win the sumbitch.

I like FO, that data is interesting, but I don't know what to believe about all their stats.

Some of that shit is over my head.

prsnfoto
11-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Interesting. After the Minnesota game, I was starting to wonder if TT's tenure would tank into the toilet (gotta love that alliteration) due to the play of the offensive line. I thought that maybe TT's future might be at stake - he seems to have put together most of the parts in most position groups, but at drafting offensive lineman he seemed to be doing poorly.

One game later, all is well - for the moment. Wow. All I can say is that it'd sure be nice if Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, and/or Barbre worked out...and Harv is right - the tackles haven't necessarily held up.

I tried not to panic and freak out this season. After the Tennessee loss, I even started a thread called "I Am Optimistic." But the Minny loss really got me down; thus I wondered if maybe, after all, TT was not going to be able to get it done.

Oh me of little faith.

I hope I was wrong.

You were not wrong this team is easy to figure out they will dominate teams without a pass rush and lose to teams that have one. Look at our wins and loses that pretty much sums it up they are fortunate Minnesota is slower on grass or they would have sweep us. The good news is when ya know what your biggest hole is the guy in charge otta be able to fix it and pronto.

bobblehead
11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
my how opinions change after one game

Him has never sucked all year. The other 4 have taken turns sucking. Him has had a very good year just as I kept telling people....it took wahle 3 seasons, give the lad time.

boiga
11-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I mainly was giving my opinion on their down 4. I'm telling you, they are all tough capable guys. The overall defense is leaky against the pass, especially with the injuries to their DB's. I didn't know that short yardage stat, that's a surprise to me. Their backers are basically overachievers, that can give up plays.

This is gonna be a good game. Two 5-5 teams that really need the win. The teams that converts touchdown opportunities outta win.

I see a high scoring shoot-out. Hope we win the sumbitch.

I like FO, that data is interesting, but I don't know what to believe about all their stats.

Some of that shit is over my head. I hear ya, KYPack. I like Jolly, Cole, Pickett and Kampman, but we are even worse at short yardage than the Saints. Scheme, time of possession, and the score are as big of factors as personnel in that situation.

In regards to FO, their stats are just tool like any other. It's like how QB rating has little to do with how a QB actually played, but is still religiously believed in by pundits. Stats are useful, but not that important in the big scheme of things.

Noodle
11-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Stats are useful, but not that important in the big scheme of things.

That knock on your door is Patler. He's got a big piece of wood in his hands, and he's about to go to town on you. Turn off the lights and just act like there's no one home.

Harlan Huckleby
11-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Judging just by what I've seen with my own eyes, Colledge and Tauscher are their best linemen. I haven't noticed much with Spitz. Clifton should retire. Wells had a good game last week, maybe he is getting healthier and better.

Tarek Saleh and Derek Engler both say on their Madison radio show that Colledge has great feet and is going to be a stud at LT. They were linemen in the NFL recently, so they might be right.

RashanGary
11-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Judging just by what I've seen with my own eyes, Colledge and Tauscher are their best linemen. I haven't noticed much with Spitz. Clifton should retire. Wells had a good game last week, maybe he is getting healthier and better.

Tarek Saleh and Derek Engler both say on their Madison radio show that Colledge has great feet and is going to be a stud at LT. They were linemen in the NFL recently, so they might be right.

I agree. Tausch had a tough first couple games, but since then he and Colledge have been the top lineman. Spitz next, Wells and Clifton last, although Wells did have a fantastic game against the Bears.

ThunderDan
11-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Sorry HH-

Tarek Saleh was a FB/LB and special teams player.

Harlan Huckleby
11-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Sorry HH-

Tarek Saleh played defensive end in pros, and sometimes put a hand down on the ground if college.

Your apology is accepted. :lol:

(I've taken a know-it-all stance about about Saleh for entertainment purposes, but maybe you are right.)

ThunderDan
11-22-2008, 01:06 PM

Sorry HH-

Tarek Saleh played defensive end in pros, and sometimes put a hand down on the ground if college.

Your apology is accepted. :lol:

(I've taken a know-it-all stance about about Saleh for entertainment purposes, but maybe you are right.)

Tarek played OLB for Cleveland and Carolina. He had 9 career tackles and 1 sack in 5 years. He also had 1 catch and returned 10 kickoffs.

He did play DE in college but was too small to play in the pros. He was an "attitude" player.

Harlan Huckleby
11-22-2008, 01:09 PM
ok, I surfed the web and refreshed my memory.

Saleh started as an inside linebacker at Wisconsin. Was moved to defensive end where he excelled, won All-American honors.

In the pros he was a tweener who couldn't cut it at linebacker, hung in the league a few years as a fullback and special teams player.

so you were right. but he has played with and against O-linemen in the pros, I think he can judge them.