PDA

View Full Version : Bob Jeter Passes Away

TravisWilliams23
11-21-2008, 05:57 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/34858764.html

JS Online just posted the former great Lombardi era cornerback Bob Jeter died of an apparent heart attack. My sympathies go out to the Jeter family.

Bob teamed up with Herb Adderly to form one of the best cornerback tandems in the NFL. They were every bit as good, if not better than today's Woodson and Harris tandem.

Both Jeter and Adderly were running backs in college and Lombardi switched both to defensive backs and the rest is history.

Truly a sad day for all long time Packer fans. I can still remember Jeter picking off a Johnny Unitas pass and taking it to the house in a 1966 game. Brings a smile to my face.

Kiwon
11-21-2008, 08:05 AM
I hate it when the guys I had football cards for when I was a kid pass away.

:(

RIP

KYPack
11-21-2008, 08:14 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/34858764.html

JS Online just posted the former great Lombardi era cornerback Bob Jeter died of an apparent heart attack. My sympathies go out to the Jeter family.

Bob teamed up with Herb Adderly to form one of the best cornerback tandems in the NFL. They were every bit as good, if not better than today's Woodson and Harris tandem.

Both Jeter and Adderly were running backs in college and Lombardi switched both to defensive backs and the rest is history.

Truly a sad day for all long time Packer fans. I can still remember Jeter picking off a Johnny Unitas pass and taking it to the house in a 1966 game. Brings a smile to my face.

The greatest tandem in Packer history and one of the greatest in NFL history. Both guys were All-Pro (Adderly a HOFer), with great speed, cover skills, and lethal against the run. "Jeet" was over-shadowed by his All-World teammate, but any team that tried to pick on him to shy away from Herb soon learned his side wasn't open either.

RIP, Bob. You were a great one.

sheepshead
11-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Damn

oregonpackfan
11-21-2008, 09:42 AM
[quote=TravisWilliams23]http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/34858764.html

I feel sad when another great Packers player of the Lombardi era passes away. Those guys are part of the incredible legacy of the Green Bay Packers during the 60's. There may never be another team like them. :(

Fritz
11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
i was lucky enough to be just coming of age - just old enough to understand and love and play the game - when the Packers were getting to the end of their glory years in 1967.

I remember those names fondly.

packinpatland
11-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I know I've mentioned this before, but way back when I was in high school, some of the Packers would play baskeball for fundraisers during the offseason. Bob Jeter was one of the group that came to my school.....I got his autograph. He was a good guy.

Patler
11-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I remember wondering how the Packers would replace Jesse Whittenton, who had been an All-Pro several times. One year they tried Doug Hart as I recall, and he struggled at corner but later proved to be a very good safety. The next year it was Jeter, who struggled a little at first because he was raw as a corner. But he got better and better very quickly, and by the second year Whittenton was all but forgotten.

gbgary
11-21-2008, 11:00 AM
hated to see that we've lost the great bob jeter. he was all-time Packer great. guys, we're getting old.

Patler
11-21-2008, 11:14 AM
A connection I had not made is that Rob Jeter, head coach of men's basketball at UW-Milwaukee, is the son of the Packers' Bob Jeter. If I ever knew that, I had forgotten until I saw it in an article today.

Tarlam!
11-21-2008, 12:21 PM
when I was in high school

Be still, my aching heart....

Sorry PiP. I couldn't resist, and say hi to your Hubby.

Freak Out
11-21-2008, 12:24 PM
RIP old soft bones.

taylor 31
11-21-2008, 12:36 PM
My dad always said that the reason Adderly got so much attention was no one would dare throw at Jeter.Still remember that pick against Johnny U.
RIP Jeet.

Badgerinmaine
11-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I hate it when the guys I had football cards for when I was a kid pass away.

:(

RIP

Amen to that. Here's a toast to the memory of one of the Lombardi Era Packer greats.