PDA

View Full Version : From Highest Paid To Bankrupt

GrnBay007
11-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Records Detail Vick's Lavish Spending
By LARRY O'DELL, AP

RICHMOND, Va. (Nov. 21) - Michael Vick was once the NFL's highest-paid player, and he spent like it.
One of his friends tools around in a $31,000 Cadillac DTS. His former personal assistant steers a $45,000 Infiniti M45 and has a pair of power boats. His brother Marcus has a $62,000 Land Rover and his sister a Yukon Denali.

But Vick himself is busted, millions of dollars in debt and making 12 cents an hour in his job at the federal penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., where he serving a 23-month sentence on dogfighting charges.

With Vick due to plead on state charges next week - he was returned to Virginia on Thursday - The Associated Press reviewed the details of his bankruptcy filing. The documents reveal astoundingly bad financial management of the quarterback's fortune.

His salary from the Atlanta Falcons was $11.4 million in 2006 and $6 million in 2007. Along with substantial income from endorsements, the windfall allowed Vick to spread the wealth, paying mortgages and bills for family members and keeping them flush in spending money.

"Chump change," Vick wrote on one $1,000 check to his mother.

But his balance sheet is now grim. Vick claims assets of $16 million and liabilities of $20.4 million. He's on the hook for judgments of $2.4 million to the Royal Bank of Canada and $1.1 million to Wachovia Bank, both because of loan defaults, and $4.5 million for a sports agent who sued him and won.

Meanwhile, his monthly bills are piling up: his mother Brenda Boddie's $4,700 mortgage; more than $2,000 in car payments for her Cadillac XLR and Escalade; a $2,500 mortgage for fiancee Kijafa Frink and their two children; $1,160 for Frink's Range Rover; a $781 payment for his sister's Yukon Denali; $3,500 in monthly support for his young son and the boy's mother.

Fortunately for Vick, the Land Rover he gave brother Marcus is paid in full. So is the $65,000 Infiniti sport utility vehicle parked near Leavenworth for Frink's use during her twice-monthly visits. Vick sold his Bentley for $105,000 and used the money to buy a Mercedes-Benz.

His real estate holdings include the homes in Suffolk and Hampton in Virginia where his mother and fiancee live, respectively, and vacant houses in Williamsburg and Duluth, Ga. Construction continues on a $2 million home in Suffolk where he and his fiancee plan to eventually live. Already sold is the 4,600-square-foot house on 15 acres in Surry County that served as headquarters for the Bad Newz Kennels dogfighting operation.

Vick is scheduled to plead guilty to state dogfighting and animal cruelty charges Tuesday in a deal that calls for a suspended sentence and probation. The plea could clear the way for his entry into a halfway house for the last few months of his federal sentence before his expected release in July.

But he'll still have to face a financial mess worsened by his entanglement in about 20 business ventures, from a rental car outlet to a liquor store. Vick plans to pay his creditors by returning to the NFL - a goal that hinges on his reinstatement by the league's commissioner.

rest of the story
http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/bbdp/records-detail-vicks-lavish-spending/257311?icid=200100397x1213448079x1200902434

sheepshead
11-22-2008, 08:30 AM
As my grandpa used to say: " a fool and his money soon depart"

gbgary
11-22-2008, 09:20 AM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/nopity.gif

CaliforniaCheez
11-22-2008, 11:52 AM
As my grandpa used to say: " a fool and his money are soon parted"

In the Navy we had a say "One 'Oh Sh_t' can wipe out a thousand 'atta boys'"

Jimx29
11-23-2008, 12:46 AM
couldn't of happened to a nicer person

SnakeLH2006
11-23-2008, 01:06 AM
By LARRY O'DELL, AP

Exactly. That's chump's change and that dude is a chump ass beyotch hand's down. And the funny thing is this..I live around a lot of racist ass rednecks and have 2 good black friends and both are very successful businessmen. So before someone makes a dumb take on black dudes realize that life is life..You make the best of it. Vick is dumbfuck. And that quote is legendary. So sick of the racist shit as I'm as white on rice, but Vick is a lengendaryly legend of dumb mofo's. Mobb? What's your take? Bottom line Vick is a dumbfuck.

BobDobbs
11-23-2008, 02:18 AM
You know I think the real, real stupid thing he did was think he could run a dog fighting operation and everything would just go smoothly. That's what got him. All this financial implosion is just something that follows from that. If he wouldn't have gotten caught and lost his income stream all those mortgage and car payments are paid for easily. The only thing that screws him is the 4.5 million judgement. The other stuff is just making sure that his family is living well like he was. I mean you can't really just be sitting on all that wealth and not hook your family up at all, right?

That actually seems like a pretty stand up thing to do. Getting yourself involved in twenty business deals while you have another career going on, that's probably overreaching. Time for the Fam to start driving some used cars though, I mean come on its hard times, the man is in jail, and you still can't take over the car payments?

MOBB DEEP
11-23-2008, 09:51 AM
As my grandpa used to say: " a fool and his money soon depart"

that's almost Biblical; most preachers preach it...Charles Stanley rules

glad he's gettn out soon and will be able to get back into the real workforce; he'll still earn more loot than any of us here (esp me - he he) by the time he's 35

i believe he's an overall good guy (was just FOOLISH in that part of his life)

LP
11-23-2008, 09:58 AM
He was getting paid several million dollars per year, and yet he was financing automobiles.

Gotta love a college education.

MOBB DEEP
11-23-2008, 10:05 AM
By LARRY O'DELL, AP

Exactly. That's chump's change and that dude is a chump ass beyotch hand's down. And the funny thing is this..I live around a lot of racist ass rednecks and have 2 good black friends and both are very successful businessmen. So before someone makes a dumb take on black dudes realize that life is life..You make the best of it. Vick is dumbfuck. And that quote is legendary. So sick of the racist shit as I'm as white on rice, but Vick is a lengendaryly legend of dumb mofo's. Mobb? What's your take? Bottom line Vick is a dumbfuck.

nuthn really profound needed...he made a DUMB mistake like many people of ALL SES's (socio-econimic status) make daily. i know guys from way back in the 70's from my hood that partook in that atrocious activity but they didnt have a pot to piss in...he's just high profile and had MUCH more to lose than the average cat so it APPEARS dumber (personally i think womainizn and the like actually do more harm to the HUMAN race). like most (not all) folk who do dumb stuff, if he fully understood the consequences he woulda exercised self control (fruit of the Spirit...Galatians 5:22)

MOBB DEEP
11-23-2008, 10:08 AM
couldn't of happened to a nicer person

u judging him? just askn b/c im curious how people rate his form of evil (SO many forms ya know?)....we ALL fall short of the glory of the Lord

Romans 3:23

wist43
11-23-2008, 10:45 AM
MOBB, you're naive. Far too generous... the man is an unconscionable moron. Deserves his comeuppance.

Would love to see the man suffer a fate similar to what he inflicted on those dogs. Disgusting.

PlantPage55
11-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Give me 10 million dollars a year and I would be completely on the straight and narrow.

Hell, I don't ever break any laws NOW and I'm not getting paid shit. It's not hard to toe the line and follow the rules of society. At all.

PlantPage55
11-23-2008, 10:52 AM
And I don't want to hear anything about "but he just made a mistake."

It's not like, "whoops, I'm betting on some dogs viciously tearing each other apart by mistake!" or "how did these dogs get onto my property, into a ring, and start fighting each other?!?! This is a mistake!" He KNEW it was wrong.

99% of the time, breaking a law is not a mistake. That's a terrible excuse.

MOBB DEEP
11-23-2008, 11:14 AM
MOBB, you're naive. Far too generous... the man is an unconscionable moron. Deserves his comeuppance.

Would love to see the man suffer a fate similar to what he inflicted on those dogs. Disgusting.

u wana see him killed?

MOBB DEEP
11-23-2008, 11:26 AM

in NO WAY am i excusing that foolishness....noooo, i just believe in redemption..pay debt to society, learn from bad judgement, humbly give back, and keep it moving

male chauvinistic society of course thinks its worse to harm animals than it is to scar women for life thru infedelity, emotional abuse, and marginalization. my pastor reminds us that u cant weigh/compare sins but im still at the point where i think some actions, and thus their results, are worse than others

if he beat his wife like a pit bull he wouldnt be in jail, just attendn classes...if he had 7 babies and allowed the mothers to raise them on their own (impactn generations of folk) he's just the butt of jokes for mainstream society (ala shawn kemp and travis henry)

MY TAKE but it has to make sense to rational minds

MOBB DEEP
11-23-2008, 11:29 AM
MOBB, you're naive. Far too generous...

ive been told, esp by my mama

texaspackerbacker
11-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm as much a dog lover as anybody, but what Vick did--the dog fighting thing--is apparently a weird cultural phenomenon over in that part of the country. A whole lot of other weird cultural shit gets excused just because that's what it is. Do any of us know this guy is really all that evil? Maybe he is, but I sure can't say for sure.

And as for the money, everybody in the NFL and other pro sports too makes way too much money to suit me, but that's the system, and the system in general is what makes this country great--well, one of the things. Can you really blame people for taking advantage of the wonderful system--and then flaunting it when they are super successful?

I bet Michael Vick lands on his feet and has at least some degree of an NFL career after he's finished doing his time. Furthermore, I bet he's got something socked away right now--but needs to appear broke in order to avoid Ricoh or some other form of confiscation.