PDA

View Full Version : My problem with Pass Interference

ThunderDan
11-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Just finished watching the Jets/Titans game. The Jets played a fantastic game.

Here is my issue: on the 4th down play at the end of the game L Coles of the Jets runs a go. He is being blanketed in coverage. Coles puts his hand on the CB's shoulder to push for seperation. The CB grabs the WR hand. The offical calls defensive pass interference.

I have a real issue with this and this isn't the only game where that call has been made. If the offensive player initiates the contact to create seperation it has to be a penalty on the WR.

Just wondering what other people think!

Fred's Slacks
11-23-2008, 03:22 PM
My biggest problem is that there are far too many judgment penalties and PI is one of them. There have been far to many ticky tac penalties this year that have had a large impact on games. If these could be challenged, it may have made a difference. The problem is that they are judgment calls so they can't be challenged. I know you can't challenge penalties at all but if they clearly defined all penalties, then they could be reviewed. Problem is they are too vague, so you never know what's going to get called. There is no consistency.

Rastak
11-23-2008, 03:39 PM
My biggest problem is that there are far too many judgment penalties and PI is one of them. There have been far to many ticky tac penalties this year that have had a large impact on games. If these could be challenged, it may have made a difference. The problem is that they are judgment calls so they can't be challenged. I know you can't challenge penalties at all but if they clearly defined all penalties, then they could be reviewed. Problem is they are too vague, so you never know what's going to get called. There is no consistency.

Holding is even worse. Watch any play in any game and there is a 30% chance (my guess) somebody is holding somebody on the line.

DonHutson
11-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Oops... I expected this thread to have been authored by Ahmad Carroll. My mistake.

:oops:

Iron Mike
11-23-2008, 04:33 PM

I wonder how many SB trophies the Packers would have had the officials ever called Offensive PI on Michael Irvin.

I'm guessing at least two more. :evil:

Guiness
11-23-2008, 05:39 PM
I actually think that aspect of the game would be much more interesting if the referees were more willing to call offensive pass interference.

Of course, I was a football DB, a hockey defenseman and a soccer fullback, so my opinion might be a little coloured...

Lurker64
11-23-2008, 07:12 PM
I'd really like to see the NFL make "offensive pass interference" a point of emphasis some year. They probably won't, since they tend to labor under the mistaken impression that "really high scores makes football more popular", and actually enforcing the OPI rules as written might result in a reduction in scoring, but do modern pass offenses need to be as ridiculous as they are in some cases?

Moss got away with really bad OPI on one of his TD catches today, it got my blood boiling.

Fritz
11-24-2008, 07:39 AM

Holding is even worse. Watch any play in any game and there is a 30% chance (my guess) somebody is holding somebody on the line.

I agree that there's too much offensive pass interference that never gets called, but I agree even more with Ras. I can't tell you how many times I've watched a defensive lineman, getting past the offensive guard or tackle blocking him, then being dragged down or shoved and pushed in the back - and no call. It's aggravating.

texaspackerbacker
11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Just like always, a lot of eloquent stating of what the problems is, but nothing about what you're gonna do about it.

I agree that there it is a helluva lot more likely to DPI to get called than OPI. As far as I know, though, the way the rule is written, the same stuff gets penalized either way. If there is an unofficial policy of calling it more on the DBs,

The only thing I can say resembling a solution is that you recognize that they are calling it that way, and coach your receivers to take advantage of it.

packers11
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80cb7c77

Randy pushed off right before the ball came...

sharpe1027
11-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Just like always, a lot of eloquent stating of what the problems is, but nothing about what you're gonna do about it.

I agree that there it is a helluva lot more likely to DPI to get called than OPI. As far as I know, though, the way the rule is written, the same stuff gets penalized either way. If there is an unofficial policy of calling it more on the DBs,

The only thing I can say resembling a solution is that you recognize that they are calling it that way, and coach your receivers to take advantage of it.

I thought this discussion was about how the NFL should call OPI more? Isn't that a solution? Of course the coaches should make adjustments, but that wasn't really the point.

While the Vikings coaching their WRs to repeatedly run straight into the DBs to get an illegal contact could be called a smart move, that doesn't mean it should have been allowed. Illegal contact should also be called both ways.

LEWCWA
11-24-2008, 01:48 PM
The def is always going to get the call, unless the off. player is just obvious. I don't know if that will ever change. To fix it maybe they should loosen the grip they have on DB's playing aggressive football or make it a 15 yard penalty like in college. The spot foul really makes it a huge penalty! Then again anytime someone gets smoked the rec will get tackled b4 the ball is thrown and that will be boring to watch. F It I have no solutions!

sharpe1027
11-24-2008, 01:54 PM
How about similar solution as what they did when they made the face-mask call into 5 and 15 yard varieties?

If it is a blatant/intentional contact that there is no doubt about the effect on whether the ball was caught, use the current spot foul. If it is a slight nudge or hand slap, make it a 5 yarder and re-do the down.

MadtownPacker
11-24-2008, 01:57 PM
My problem with pass interference is when the cal it on Harris or Woodson or any Packers DB.

Any other time it's great!!!!!

The Gunshooter
11-24-2008, 03:16 PM

I wonder how many SB trophies the Packers would have had the officials ever called Offensive PI on Michael Irvin.

Or hands to the face by Erik Williams.

texaspackerbacker
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
How about similar solution as what they did when they made the face-mask call into 5 and 15 yard varieties?

If it is a blatant/intentional contact that there is no doubt about the effect on whether the ball was caught, use the current spot foul. If it is a slight nudge or hand slap, make it a 5 yarder and re-do the down.

They already sorta did that with DPI with the 5 yard illegal contact penalty.

The letter of the rules already make it equal treatment between the offensive and defensive player. If there is an unofficial policy that says different, I think the motivation is to open up games and get more scoring. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that it seems to be that way.

sharpe1027
11-24-2008, 03:25 PM

The letter of the rules already make it equal treatment between the offensive and defensive player. If there is an unofficial policy that says different, I think the motivation is to open up games and get more scoring. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that it seems to be that way.

Wasn't the illegal contact just an additional rule that covers when the ball isn't in the air? I'm talking about reducing PI calls, where the pass is catchable but the contact is minimal.

The Gunshooter
11-24-2008, 03:29 PM
The def is always going to get the call, unless the off. player is just obvious. I don't know if that will ever change. To fix it maybe they should loosen the grip they have on DB's playing aggressive football or make it a 15 yard penalty like in college. The spot foul really makes it a huge penalty! Then again anytime someone gets smoked the rec will get tackled b4 the ball is thrown and that will be boring to watch. F It I have no solutions!

All they have to do is make everything reviewable subject to one challenge per team in each half. Since there wasn't a personal foul involved during the NYJ vs. TN play in question it should be ruled offsetting penalties and replay the down. The ref on the field might be closer to the action but multiple cameras and slow motion will be the more accurate indicator of what happened. Then, like in any other challenge, if there is not enough evidence to overrule the call on the field the first call stands.

texaspackerbacker
11-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Wasn't the illegal contact just an additional rule that covers when the ball isn't in the air? I'm talking about reducing PI calls, where the pass is catchable but the contact is minimal.

I guess it's written that way, but I think they tend to use it as a compromise thing for non-blatant OPI too. I'd like to see that penalty NOT be an automatic first down.

bobblehead
11-24-2008, 03:59 PM

QFT

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

bobblehead
11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I simply don't like PI because it can REALLY affect a game when miscalled. It also seems to be the most often miscalled penalty in my book. In the NBA we got special rules for veterans who "earned" it, its bullshit and its why I stopped watching the NBA.

Personally I think PI should be limited to a few cases. Grabbing an arm to prevent the catch. Flat out hitting the guy before the ball is there. The little bumping and hand checking in the course of a route and jockeying for the ball should all be allowed as it can't possibly be officiated fairly. I don't care if a guy is looking for the ball or not, it shouldn't matter if he managed to swivel his head while jockeying or not. As it stands recievers use a "stiff" elbow to create seperation and it is allowed, but if the DB pushes that arm away its called PI. Recievers have to flat out PUSH the DB to get called (like hester), but they are allowed to extend an arm and use it to keep the DB from closing the gap. If you allow that you have to allow a DB to do similar things.

Last year, cowboys at lions. Lions pass the ball into the endzone and the cowboy DB looks back, puts his hand on the WR shoulder so when the WR tries to jump for the ball he gets less air than Larry Bird....no call. Those kinds of things are game changers.

sharpe1027
11-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I guess it's written that way, but I think they tend to use it as a compromise thing for non-blatant OPI too. I'd like to see that penalty NOT be an automatic first down.

But they can't, and don't, call illegal contact once the pass is in the air. I'm suggesting a PI (and possibly also an illegal contact where the WR is only nudged, not knocked down or held) that is only a 5 yarder, without an automatic first down.