PDA

View Full Version : Who do we need to win?

packers11
11-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Bears @ Vikings this week...

Shouldn't we be rooting for the Bears considering we still play them once and could potentially sweep them?

We are
1-1 with the Vikings
1-0 with the Bears
1-0 with the Lions

That puts us at 3-1 in the division with two more games to be played (In division). If we are all tied at the end, the next tie breaker comes down to division record.

denverYooper
11-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Bears @ Vikings this week...

Shouldn't we be rooting for the Bears considering we still play them once and could potentially sweep them?

We are
1-1 with the Vikings
1-0 with the Bears
1-0 with the Lions

That puts us at 3-1 in the division with two more games to be played (In division). If we are all tied at the end, the next tie breaker comes down to division record.

Tough call. Bears are 3-1 in the div and Vikes are 2-2. Vikings have a tough December, too, AZ, Atlanta, and Jints for their last 3.

I'll have to pull for the Vikings to win the Vikes-Bears matchup.

Of course, none of this will matter if the Pack takes care of business from here on out :).

sheepshead
11-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Good new is, someone will loose!

Zool
11-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Gotta pull for the Queens to keep the division records down.

Lurker64
11-24-2008, 12:07 PM
It's actually not cut and dried.

If the Vikings win, and the Packers beat Chicago, and everybody beats Detroit. That would put the Vikes at 4-2 in the division, Bears at 3-3, and Packers at 5-1. Packers win "division record tiebreaker" if records end up tied.

If the Bears win, and the Packers beat Chicago, and everybody beats Detroit, Minnesota is 3-3 in the division, the Bears are 4-2 and the Packers are 5-1. Packers win "division record tiebreaker if records are tied."

Though, if the Packers don't beat the Bears, we definitely want the Vikings to win as that would put everybody at 4-2 in the division and we'd have to go to other tiebreakers.

...Though the Bears due have an easier schedule down the stretch than the Vikings do, and the Vikings are facing possible suspension of their best defensive players.

Screw it, just be glad someone will lose and cheer for a tie.

hoosier
11-24-2008, 12:19 PM
It's actually not cut and dried.

If the Vikings win, and the Packers beat Chicago, and everybody beats Detroit. That would put the Vikes at 4-2 in the division, Bears at 3-3, and Packers at 5-1. Packers win "division record tiebreaker" if records end up tied.

If the Bears win, and the Packers beat Chicago, and everybody beats Detroit, Minnesota is 3-3 in the division, the Bears are 4-2 and the Packers are 5-1. Packers win "division record tiebreaker if records are tied."

Though, if the Packers don't beat the Bears, we definitely want the Vikings to win as that would put everybody at 4-2 in the division and we'd have to go to other tiebreakers.

...Though the Bears due have an easier schedule down the stretch than the Vikings do, and the Vikings are facing possible suspension of their best defensive players.

Screw it, just be glad someone will lose and cheer for a tie.

If Packers beat Bears again they'll win any tiebreaker against CHI based on head-to-head (2-0). If GB loses at CHI and they end up tied with one or both, then it goes to divisional records, in which case a Minnesota victory next week would help GB more than a CHI win.

Zool
11-24-2008, 12:47 PM
I just realized that the Lions could be 0-15 heading into the last game. I dont like that one bit.

MadtownPacker
11-24-2008, 01:13 PM
You have to root for the bears to beat the vikings. As mentioned this makes it so the Pack can sweep the bears who will have swept the vikings.

texaspackerbacker
11-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Clearly it's better if the Vikings win. The Bears schedule other than the Packers is MUCH easier than the Vikings.

pack4to84
11-24-2008, 03:37 PM
My second favorite team is who ever is playing the bears. So I stand by that go Vikings!

bobblehead
11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
I think we have most tiebreakers therefore we should be cheering for the vikings.

Personally I don't give a rats ass, we need to play like we are capable of, beat the bears again and then this matchup won't matter one bit. We have to go 4-2 at least from here, including beating the bears, or 5-1 if our loss is to the bears.

bottom line, show me that our team can TAKE it and not have it handed to them and I will be much happier.

mission
11-24-2008, 03:47 PM
And let's be real folks! The Vikes have a notorious habit of choking down the stretch run and with playoff implications, plus a tough schedule, they're bound to drop a couple/few.

That said, we still gotta take care of our end and I hope we're a team that doesn't just get up for the challenge sometimes, but all the time. We look like we could be headed in that direction but a lot of that will hinge on tonight obviously. Our offensive line really needs to step up!

channtheman
11-24-2008, 05:11 PM
And let's be real folks! The Vikes have a notorious habit of choking down the stretch run and with playoff implications, plus a tough schedule, they're bound to drop a couple/few.

That said, we still gotta take care of our end and I hope we're a team that doesn't just get up for the challenge sometimes, but all the time. We look like we could be headed in that direction but a lot of that will hinge on tonight obviously. Our offensive line really needs to step up!

I HIGHLY doubt that the Vikings can pull off a win in Arizona. I'm a season ticket holder down here and though the Cardinals lost to the Giants, they have otherwise been very good at home and if I don't see how the Vikings could do it.

PlantPage55
11-24-2008, 05:20 PM
I predict an ugly game with two disgusting teams looking stupid all over the field.

mngolf19
11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I predict an ugly game with two disgusting teams looking stupid all over the field.

tonight? :wink:

Rastak
11-24-2008, 06:09 PM

tonight? :wink:

Yea, he posted in the wrong by mistake. :wink:

Patler
11-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Tie breakers for two-way and three-way ties:

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

If the Packers beat the Bears and Lions, they are golden in any Division tie scenario. If they lose to the Bears we do not want to be tied with the Vikings, because of #3s in the above scenarios.

The common games are: Indy, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, TN, Jacksonville, New Orleans and Houston.

The Vikings are 4-3 in common games, with Atlanta yet to play.
The Bears are 1-4, with Jacksonville, New Orleans and Houston yet to play.
The Packers are 1-4, with Carolina, Houston and Jacksonville to play.

So the Packers are tied with the Bears in that tie-breaker; but have a long way to go to catch the Vikings, and can't catch the Vikings if the Vikings beat Atlanta or if the Packers lose any of the common games remaining.

sepporepi
11-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I think the division games also count in the common games...

Patler
11-26-2008, 10:15 AM
I think the division games also count in the common games...

Doesn't matter if they count or not. If you get to #3, you were tied in #1 and #2. #2 is the record in divisional games, so the only difference would arise in the non-divisional common games.

gbgary
11-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Who do we need to win?

the Packers!! the others will take care of themselves and we'll be north champs if we can just put a streak together.

Patler
11-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Who do we need to win?

the Packers!! the others will take care of themselves and we'll be north champs if we can just put a streak together.

It is simple, in a way. If Chicago beats MN and the Packers win out, the Packers are NFC North Champs, regardless!
(OK, I'm pulling my head out of the clouds now!)

Dabaddestbear
11-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Good new is, someone will loose!
bad news is, that no matter who the winner is, they will have one game up on the Packers :twisted:

Freak Out
11-26-2008, 01:53 PM
We need the Bears to win.