PDA

View Full Version : Sean Payton

sheepshead
11-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I havent seen much on this guy from yesterday. Anyone else have a problem with the 2 point conversion attempt? Going for it on 4th and 1 up by three scores(I think this was the case in the forth quarter) That smirk on his face?

Did MM shake is hand? I didnt see it on my feed.

Freak Out
11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
He wanted the Packer job bad and TT wouldn't hire him...he wants to rub it in every chance he gets.

rbaloha1
11-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Clearly out coached and out schemed the Packers.

LL2
11-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I havent seen much on this guy from yesterday. Anyone else have a problem with the 2 point conversion attempt? Going for it on 4th and 1 up by three scores(I think this was the case in the forth quarter) That smirk on his face?

Did MM shake is hand? I didnt see it on my feed.

Yeah...what was up with that? I'm sure he didn't want to allow GB a chance to score. As inept as the GB defense was it was a smart move though.

TheRaven
11-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't.

The problem is that we couldn't stop them, not that they were going for it.

Patler
11-25-2008, 12:16 PM
I didn't really have a problem with it. There was still half of the fourth quarter to play. The two point conversion would have given the Saints a 24 point lead, making it a four score game to win or 3TDs plus all three two point conversions just to tie. The single extra point would have allowed the Packers to score three and tie it with 2 of three two point conversions and a kick for one or win with three TDs and three two-point conversions. Two points would have moved it to a four score game for the Packers. One point would have left it a three score game.

In a simple analysis, if there was an advantage for the Packers in going for 2 points on their previous touchdown, which they did, the Saints getting two would have negated it.

Pugger
11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
I felt they were rubbing it in our faces and so did my hubby. But by then I was so disheartened I didn't care... :(

sheepshead
11-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I felt they were rubbing it in our faces and so did my hubby. But by then I was so disheartened I didn't care... :(

I'm in touch with that.

KYPack
11-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Coaches make those decisions from conversion charts.

One chart is a simple one and the other is more complex, based on time left in the game.

Both of 'em tell you to go for 2 when you are up by 22.

The "go for it on 4th & 1"?

Vintage Herm Edwards.. "You try to win the game!!!!"

Pro coaches are happy if somebody tries to run up the score. They can use it next time. Unless they are about to get shit canned.

BobDobbs
11-25-2008, 05:47 PM
You know the only thing I had a problem with was the gadget play that turned into an interception. I thought it was cocky and ridiculous. They had control of the game and their quarterback was shredding us. Why have a receiver throw the ball? I'm glad Chillar read and reacted, because that would have been very humiliating and I thought justice was served when the play blew up.

Gunakor
11-25-2008, 07:15 PM
I defended the Patriots against these type of accusations, so I have to defend the Saints here as well. This is the pros. Both teams get paid regardless, so egos be damned. I hope like hell it pissed the Packers off enough that they get better from it. All they had to do on defense was make the critical stops at critical times and this game would have been won. They couldn't, so they deserved what they got. Credit the Saints for playing a full 60 minutes and not allowing us a chance to get back in it. Our team could learn a thing or two from them...

sheepshead
11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
I dont think MM operates this way. I know Holmgren didnt (I am no big Mike fan). Hell a W is a W and an L is an L. He just seemed like he was trying to make a point on national TV. I know some of the players felt that way.

Iron Mike
11-25-2008, 07:51 PM
I am no Big Mike fan.

Damn......I know SOME people here like me. :cry:

MJZiggy
11-25-2008, 07:57 PM
He just seemed like he was trying to make a point on national TV. I know some of the players felt that way.

Why weren't we trying to make a point? We could have made a point too. Didn't we shellac them 52-3 last time we met?

Iron Mike
11-25-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't really have anything to add here.........I just wanted to have EVERY THREAD have a last post by me.

:knll:

Rastak
11-25-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't really have anything to add here.........I just wanted to have EVERY THREAD have a last post by me.

:knll:

You logged into the wrong account Snake. :wink:

KYPack
11-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Thread Killer!

Iron Mike
11-25-2008, 11:15 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/omegaosx/.Pictures/dead_thread.jpg

Fritz
11-26-2008, 08:31 AM
We saw only one game. The Saints, remember, were 5-5 coming in. It's not like Peyton has developed a machine down in N.O.

He seems to be a good coach. The two point thing - it's his job to make sure his team wins that game. As impossible as it seemed during the game, had the Packers mounted a comeback and not trying the two point had cost the Saints, Peyton would have been roasted. So I'm good with that.

But I have read Peyton's problem as a play caller is that occasionally he gets too cute. Witness the stupid wide receiver as q.b. play call.

Brees was having his way with Packers like a 300 pound prisoner having his way with a skinny 18 year old kid. Why would you do something stupid like Peyton did? It's not like Brees was getting confused or pressured and the Saints needed a trick. Hell, everybody knew the Saints were passing on almost every down, and it didn't seem to help the Packer D to know that. So it was in idiotic play call.

sheepshead
11-26-2008, 09:07 AM
He just seemed like he was trying to make a point on national TV. I know some of the players felt that way.

Why weren't we trying to make a point? We could have made a point too. Didn't we shellac them 52-3 last time we met?

good point!

texaspackerbacker
11-27-2008, 09:31 AM
I will NEVER criticize someone who wins for "rubbing it in", even if it's me or my team they rub it in to.

Regarding Payton, though, he certainly is no long term winner. Maybe some stupid people would rather have his kind coaching Green Bay than somebody like McCarthy, but 5 or 10 or 20 years from now, it will be obvious that the hot-and-cold/chance-taking/wildly innovating crap that Payton is known for brings nothing but inconsistency and general mediocrity. Intelligent/cerebral coaching brings winning most of the time. I THINK that is a description of McCarthy's coaching, although he has kinda taken a step backward this season. I also think that McCarthy is still a work-in-process, who will get better with time. Payton, on the other hand, will probably be one of those long-term coaches, probably for several different teams, who is highly regarded by know-nothing media people, but who never produces a winner.