PDA

View Full Version : The Brohm pick

packers11
11-25-2008, 11:47 AM
What do we do with him? He was a second round pick projected first round talent, in a couple of years he is going to want a shot a competing for at starting job on a team. Do we trade him? His value won't be an higher than a 2nd round pick (were we took him)...

I just wish T.T. took a O-Line/D-line with this pick instead of a QB were we do have A-Rod for another 7-10 years...

I'm still confused on this pick...

Bossman641
11-25-2008, 11:50 AM
What do we do with him? He was a second round pick projected first round talent, in a couple of years he is going to want a shot a competing for at starting job on a team. Do we trade him? His value won't be an higher than a 2nd round pick (were we took him)...

I just wish T.T. took a O-Line/D-line with this pick instead of a QB were we do have A-Rod for another 7-10 years...

It is a bit peculiar. Don't know when he would ever have the chance to show his skills unless Rodgers gets injured (Please NO). Even if he tears up the preseason you're most likely looking at receiving a 2nd round pick for a guy you take in the 2nd and have coached for a few years.

I understand the pick was made as insurance for Rodgers, but now that he is locked up for years and does look to be a decent QB you have to wonder what they do with Brohm from here on out.

TheRaven
11-25-2008, 11:57 AM

At the time, I believe the pick made sense, and still does to an extent. They took what they felt was the best value left in the draft. As of right now, that position is not a need. At that time, it most certainly was.

So they addressed a need and got the best talent. It is hard to argue that logic. It is easy to second guess at this point in time, however.

Pack0514
11-25-2008, 01:58 PM
.....we do have A-Rod for another 7-10 years.....

I will bet any amount of money that there will come time in the next few years that Rodgers will be not be able to play for more than 1 week. Hopefully by that time, Brohm will be up to speed with everything. We will be happy TT and MM chose and developed him. At that time, if he plays well, he will be worth a second round pick (or two) to someone. eg: Matt Schaub trade. My $0.02.

Patler
11-25-2008, 02:16 PM
A lot can happen before the Packers have to decide what to do with Brohm. First, Brohm has to show that he belongs in the NFL longterm. He has not done that yet. Rodgers has to prove that he can be the longterm starter in Green Bay. That one looks promising.

If Rodgers is the guy in Green Bay, and Brohm can show he belongs like Hasselbeck did, the Packer will have to decide what to do in 2010 at the earliest, more likely sometime before 2011.

It will be a good problem to have, if it even becomes one.

A bigger question in the NFL might be what will the Patriots do if Brady comes back next year. Cassel is starting to look like he deserves a shot somewhere.

sheepshead
11-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Cassel could end up in our division.

Pack0514
11-25-2008, 02:33 PM

I agree, I dont want this to happen but I told my Bear Fan friends that the Bears should try to get him. Although the Vikings are more likely to trade draft picks than the Bears so he may end up in MN. NE should franchise him and then trade him.

Patler
11-25-2008, 02:43 PM

I agree, I dont want this to happen but I told my Bear Fan friends that the Bears should try to get him. Although the Vikings are more likely to trade draft picks than the Bears so he may end up in MN. NE should franchise him and then trade him.

Thats what I have been thinking. He could end up at any of the three spots, MN, Chicago or Detroit; although I suspect the Bears have enough confidence in Orton right now to commit to him for a few years. MN could be Cassel's next home, if Brady comes back next year. There are a lot of rumors about Brady's status.

Freak Out
11-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Thats what I have been thinking. He could end up at any of the three spots, MN, Chicago or Detroit; although I suspect the Bears have enough confidence in Orton right now to commit to him for a few years. MN could be Cassel's next home, if Brady comes back next year. There are a lot of rumors about Brady's status.

I keep hearing McNabb is going to end up with the Bears.

sheepshead
11-25-2008, 03:21 PM
A little off topic here, as I watched Mark Brunnel on the sidelines yesterday: Anyone recall all the cries for Brunnel to replace Favre back in the day??

Just a little perspective on our current situation.

Dabaddestbear
11-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Brohm would fetch no more than a 3rd at this moment.

Cassel will end up in S.F., Detroit, or Minny. The best case scenario for him would be in Minny, but I can see Detroit getting him since they will have two first round picks to address on defense and O-line.

cpk1994
11-26-2008, 10:46 AM

Cassel will end up in S.F., Detroit, or Minny. The best case scenario for him would be in Minny, but I can see Detroit getting him since they will have two first round picks to address on defense and O-line.And his chnaces of Minny hang on the answer of one question: Will Brad Childress be the head coach next season? If he is, Cassel won't be there and Childress is stubborn to a fault. If not, there is a chance Cassel lands in Minny.

Patler
11-26-2008, 10:48 AM

Cassel will end up in S.F., Detroit, or Minny. The best case scenario for him would be in Minny, but I can see Detroit getting him since they will have two first round picks to address on defense and O-line.

I'm not sure Brohm is even worth a 3rd right now. He looked pretty bad in preseason. It doesn't matter though, because he will be in GB another two years at least before they are likely to do anything.

Brohm's value? = Undetermined!

Patler
11-26-2008, 10:59 AM
The interesting thing is Cassel is a free agent this spring. He is from CA, went to USC (I hesitate to say he "played at USC") so he might be destined for SF.

What do the Patriots do if reports about Brady are accurate, that he might not be ready for 2009? Do they try to sign Cassel?

Pugger
11-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Reports about Brady?? I haven't heard - do tell!

Rastak
11-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Reports about Brady?? I haven't heard - do tell!

Infections in his blown out knee.

oregonpackfan
11-27-2008, 01:32 PM
As Brohm is still in his first year in the NFL, it is still too early to determine his success potential.

Some QB's take a couple of years to successfully make the transition--even as the second or third string player.

Give the guy at least another year before passing judgment on him, IMO.

Fritz
11-28-2008, 07:09 AM
With Brady's status in question, I imagine the Pats won't let Cassel get away.

Here's an interesting one, though: rumor in Detroit is that the Lions may go after Scott Pioli. If they do, and they get him, will he try to lure Cassel to Detroit?

KYPack
11-28-2008, 08:21 AM

Here's an interesting one, though: rumor in Detroit is that the Lions may go after Scott Pioli. If they do, and they get him, will he try to lure Cassel to Detroit?

That would be the brainiest move the Lions have made in the last 20 years.

No way they will do it.

rbaloha1
11-28-2008, 11:28 AM
At the time, BB was a great value pick. Thought BB was the second best qb behind Matt Ryan.

BB had a great college career at Louisville. Coached hard by his brother, many felt BB would benefit from not having his brother around.

Expected BB to show something in preseason. Boy was I wrong. BB's play was poor. The only positive was AR's first two preseasons were equally horrible.

BB must show something this preseason. Then BB becomes Brunell, Brooks and Hasselbach -- great preaseason for first day draft pick(s).

AR is the future not BB.

Guiness
11-28-2008, 01:59 PM

No way they will do it.

I dunno - no one can guess what will happen in Detoilet.

One thing you can say about the Fords is that they keep their nose out of the football business, and are loyal (to a fault wrt Millen).

If they luck out and grab a good football GM, hand him the keys and let him drive for 4-5 yrs, anything could happen. I actually think it's a crapshoot as to whether or not things will work out there.

3irty1
11-28-2008, 02:23 PM

No way they will do it.

I dunno - no one can guess what will happen in Detoilet.

One thing you can say about the Fords is that they keep their nose out of the football business, and are loyal (to a fault wrt Millen).

If they luck out and grab a good football GM, hand him the keys and let him drive for 4-5 yrs, anything could happen. I actually think it's a crapshoot as to whether or not things will work out there.

Being Detroit's GM is a pretty good job. At worst you get to hang around for five years since nobody has any expectations and at best you succeed at painting the Sistine Chapel of rebuilding franchises.

DonHutson
11-28-2008, 03:15 PM
in a couple of years he is going to want a shot a competing for at starting job on a team.

I want that, too. But I wouldn't expect the Packers to hand it to me. Neither should Brohm after getting beat out soundly by a 7th rounder. And Flynn doesn't appear to be a particularly special Tom Brady type low round pick either. More like a mildly pleasant surprise.

I think Ted took Brohm because we needed a #2 QB and Ted thought he would be so ready to play that he'd be a better backup than any of the veterens available. Ted was wrong.

But that doesn't mean Brohm won't turn into a player. At this point you just hold on to him and hope he gets it. What worries me is that his struggles seemed to be as much physical as mental. Experience won't give him a better arm.