PDA

View Full Version : How is MM doing? Your thoughts

Partial
11-25-2008, 10:40 PM
How do you guys feel MM is doing in his 3rd year on the job? I've got to say I'm awfully dissapointed to the point where I don't he's the long term answer.

Their have been some questionable decisions all season long, and I feel like our offensive schemes don't match the identity of our team.

What do you think?

BallHawk
11-25-2008, 10:44 PM
He'd have to give us two straight seasons of losing records for me to even consider getting rid of him.

Partial
11-25-2008, 10:49 PM
He'd have to give us two straight seasons of losing records for me to even consider getting rid of him.

I'm not saying consider getting rid of him yet. He took a team to an NFC championship last year. That automatically earns two seasons beyond that NFC championship game to show your worth.

Their have been some concerning signs this year though. From the conservative and often times mind boggling third down calls, the 2nd worst 3rd and long % in the NFL, the penalties, the looks on the sideline of confusion, etc.

I'm worried.

GrnBay007
11-25-2008, 11:23 PM
I've haven't paid too much attention to him on the sidelines before last night....but last night I thought he looked kind of out of sorts. But then again, how is a coach supposed to look during a game like that? But what crossed my mind is he looked more calm/cool last year. I guess when you think of his position from a personal context, even though he hasn't been around a long time in GB, he's walking on some new waters this year.....his veteran QB is gone (building trust in the new one), he's now married and has a baby. Lots of big changes in his personal life from last year.

channtheman
11-26-2008, 01:54 AM
I don't know what to think of him. I think his playcalling is just terrible at times and I know we are a young team, but we are still the most penalized team in the league which leads me to believe that he can't discipline the young guys. Like you guys, he deserves a little more time, but I've made topics before questioning his playcalling and willingness to go for it on key situations in games.

That being said I thought it was hilarious how in the game after the Packers stopped the Saints on the 2 pt attempt they showed McCarthy for about 10 seconds (or whatever), and I commented to my brother and my dad "I was waiting for McCarthy to do the fist pump" and then he immediately did it afterwords. Twas hilarious! We're getting the beat down and he pumps his fist because we "stopped" them (really the Saint just slipped).

sheepshead
11-26-2008, 07:02 AM
He's making adjustments. The penalties we saw early I put on coaching. Looks like the team has cleaned those up so I give MM credit for that. I haven't yelled at the screen too much on play calling lately either.

packrulz
11-26-2008, 07:26 AM
I think he's doing as well as expected after trading Favre and going with a first year starter in Rogers. I think it's funny how fans in Philly, Dallass, Cinnci, Seattle, Cleveland, & etc. are all clamoring to fire their coaches, they can't all be bad coaches.

Patler
11-26-2008, 07:39 AM
I think he's doing as well as expected after trading Favre and going with a first year starter in Rogers. I think it's funny how fans in Philly, Dallass, Cinnci, Seattle, Cleveland, & etc. are all clamoring to fire their coaches, they can't all be bad coaches.

A few years ago Reid was thought very highly of, especially after being firm in dealing with Owens. Respected by players and other teams for keeping the Eagles a playoff contender year after year. But he seems to be losing his grip.

Fritz
11-26-2008, 08:11 AM
This New Orleans game was a real kick in the schnuts for me as a fan. I had high hopes for a 10 - 6 season. What's disturbing to me is the way the defense, particularly, has gone backward. At least the defensive line has.

I'm disappointed in MM. I think maybe he needs to stick his nose into the defensive game plans a little more than it seems he does. I'd also like him to admit that his team sucked on Monday instead of being so Casper Milquetoast about it.

pbmax
11-26-2008, 08:20 AM
The offense in general and the secondary in particular have overcome injuries this year and have maintained a reasonable play level. The same cannot be said of the DLine and the LBs (recently). Is that coaching or personnel?

This injury riddled year has exposed some holes in the youth movements depth. But I am not convinced that it has exposed the D Line coaches (who unit played much better last year - early at least) or LB coach (who has had only two weeks to prepare Hawk to be MLB).

Patler
11-26-2008, 08:27 AM
This is a very different year for MM.

In 2006, nothing was expected from the Packers, after going 4-12 in 2005. Many thought the Packers would be one of the worst teams in the NFL. He really didn't have to do much to have a "good" season. Little to no pressure to win week to week.

Going in to 2007 the team was looked on more favorably than the year before, but still were not really considered a playoff favorite, or even a favorite to win the NFC North. Again, not a lot of pressure on him week to week, and a fast start to the season ensured a successful and enjoyable one overall. Through much of the season there was not a lot of pressure to win, because they weren't favored to win many of the games, especially early.

2008 is a whole new situation. After a trip to the NFC Championship game, a lot was expected from the team. The Favre fiasco made for a very difficult preseason with too many distractions for his good and the teams as a whole. Early season losses just ramped up the pressure to win.

For the most part, I think he has handled it well. He was very composed during the Favre situation and demonstrated authority in dealing with it and with the media. Of course, the offshoot of that is that it put even more pressure on the season. Through out the ups and downs of this season he remains composed and focused, seems to have a plan and contingencies, and seems to follow through on them.

I think this off season will be a big one in determining his future. There have to be some changes in scheme, philosophy or coaching staff:

-The running game has been slow to get started every season. Could be coaching of the O-line, or it could be training camp and early season preparation. The scheme does seem that it can be successful as it performed very well the second half of '07 and seems to have found itself again in '08. But, the abysmal starts of the last two seaons for the running game can't continue. Coaching changes or practice changes seem to be needed.

- Special teams play is not good enough. The Packers seem to have the players for it, but they just aren't performing well enough. This seems like an area for a coaching change.

- Defense. There are limitations because of the players abilities' but I'm not sure that without a change in the staff they will ever be more than a mediocre defense able to do somethings well, but not one to really control games..

MM will have his work cut out for him in addressing these problem areas in the off season. Some young head coaches have difficulties changing what and who they believed in. Firing can be difficult. MM seems flexible and willing to try new things about training, practices, etc. We have no idea how he will handle personnel matters, but the firm hand he took with Favre leads me to believe he will make the difficult personnel decisions and move on.

Fritz
11-26-2008, 08:36 AM
If Vanilla Bob goes MM can create a mutiny by promoting Kurt Schottenheimer to defensive coordinator!

And how about hiring one of those special teams coaches who is all demonstrative and can get his guys pumped up to go smash people on every kickoff and punt?

sharpe1027
11-26-2008, 08:45 AM
All of the mistakes, especially early in the year, were a bad sign.

It seems that when he makes a point to address a problem it generally gets fixed, or at least improves. That is a good sign.

Overall, I'm still a MM fan. I think we need to see if they can turn this thing around and get win the Division before we jump to conclusions.

Patler
11-26-2008, 08:46 AM
If Vanilla Bob goes MM can create a mutiny by promoting Kurt Schottenheimer to defensive coordinator!

And how about hiring one of those special teams coaches who is all demonstrative and can get his guys pumped up to go smash people on every kickoff and punt?

If a current staff member were to become the Packers new DC, I think it would be Winston Moss. I would prefer to see an experienced DC with a proven track record, but I don't even know if any are available. I would be very curious to see what Moss might do with it. He has been very open and upfront about admitting that he has aspirations to be a coordinator and a head coach. Reportedly he is a phenomenally hard worker and very detail oriented. Might provide a fresh, new approach.

Patler
11-26-2008, 08:49 AM
All of the mistakes, especially early in the year, were a bad sign.

It seems that when he makes a point to address a problem it generally gets fixed, or at least improves. That is a good sign.

Overall, I'm still a MM fan. I think we need to see if they can turn this thing around and get win the Division before we jump to conclusions.

If they win the Division by going 5-0 to finish at 10-6, which they certainly are capable of doing, he can have the job in GB as long as he wants it as far as I am concerned ! :)

sharpe1027
11-26-2008, 09:28 AM
If they win the Division by going 5-0 to finish at 10-6, which they certainly are capable of doing, he can have the job in GB as long as he wants it as far as I am concerned ! :)

Yeah, that would give him 2-3 years amnesty for me.

Honestly, 9-7 might win their division, 8-8 is even possible.

gbgary
11-26-2008, 09:44 AM
just when i think he's finally got it he pulls a fast one like sunday. running so much zone defense was a terrible decision. wonder what he's got up his sleeve this week? :roll:

prsnfoto
11-26-2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/oates/316019

More and more writers and fans are starting to place the blame with MM, I disagree he is at least an average coach and when you look at some of the bozos like the one to our West we could do a lot worse. On the flip side a bad GM can do a lot more long term damage than a coach. Some here think Favre threw the organization under the bus, what if TT throws MM under the bus to save his own ass? Ultimately he puts the product on the field and has failed so far 50% of the time.

Harlan Huckleby
11-26-2008, 11:03 AM
How do you guys feel MM is doing in his 3rd year on the job? I've got to say I'm awfully dissapointed to the point where I don't he's the long term answer.

If I'm not mistaken, you're also the guy who wants to fire Biliemma.

Out of the mouths of babes comes .... they say "wisdom", but really its just babble.

sharpe1027
11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/oates/316019

More and more writers and fans are starting to place the blame with MM, I disagree he is at least an average coach and when you look at some of the bozos like the one to our West we could do a lot worse. On the flip side a bad GM can do a lot more long term damage than a coach. Some here think Favre threw the organization under the bus, what if TT throws MM under the bus to save his own ass? Ultimately he puts the product on the field and has failed so far 50% of the time.

TT is responsibile for the MM hire. The only thing that will sink or save TT is the Packer's record.

If TT fires MM and they win, TT is fine. If TT keeps MM an they win, TT is fine. If TT fires MM and they lose, TT is in trouble. If TT keeps MM and they lose, TT is in trouble.

denverYooper
11-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Their have been some questionable decisions all season long, and I feel like our offensive schemes don't match the identity of our team.

What do you think?

I think things are not so bad.

I was born during the Bartt Starr coaching era and became conscious of first watching the Pack during the end of that era. Doubtless I was thoroughly indoctrinated before my first memories surface. Those were some lean, lean times my friend. I had a "prized" Randy Wright rookie card and I thought that was just great. I really thought it couldn't get any better than Majkowski to Sharpe.

Surely, there was much savor to be had in those 90's and we as fans really got spoiled. Especially in the latter part of the decade. If you came to be a fan through birth or choice at this time, you don't know how good you have had it.

Hell, Holmy went 9-7 for 3 years in the early 90s before that team really got built up and took off. I'm sure you would have called for Holmgren's head after they lost to the Lions by a figgie in '94 to drop to 6-7, saying they wouldn't ever get better, blah, blah, blah.

Things are not so bad now. I see a GM and a young coach trying to build a solid foundation and culture for another run of success. The team this year has sustained pretty heavy injuries on D and has still been able to go 5-6 to this point. That's not too bad--not a Belichick job of damage control--but not bad. I'm really willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm with BallHawk in that MM will have to put up a couple losing seasons in a row before we even begin to talk about canning him.

prsnfoto
11-28-2008, 03:05 PM
What the hell are these heavy injuries everyone talks about, Jenkins=hurt,Bigby=Rouse,Harrell=shit,KGB=TT knew going in so blame that on TT,Barnett=probably not any better than anyone else we got filling in he is a big soft pussy. So the way I see it they lost one guy hardly a reason for excuses. Oh ya and Al=Tramon which was a plesant surprise though we are better now at the nickel with Al back.

PackerBlues
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
considering how inconsistant the team has been, it would be all to easy to push the blame on M3. After every game, he throws his players under the bus. He never takes the blame on himself, its never poor coaching. I have to wonder how much he regrets helping to push Favre out the door now. The team is becoming pathetic.

Fire M3 and Thompson!

denverYooper
11-28-2008, 05:04 PM
considering how inconsistant the team has been, it would be all to easy to push the blame on M3. After every game, he throws his players under the bus. He never takes the blame on himself, its never poor coaching. I have to wonder how much he regrets helping to push Favre out the door now. The team is becoming pathetic.

Fire M3 and Thompson!

He did throw the players under the bus a few times and I thought he came off as a dick for it. But after the Saints loss he made some remarks that the coaching staff needed to step up and connect their marvelous practice sessions to what happens on game day.

Saints postgame presser (http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/11/26/3/)

(You have talked about how you like this team's work ethic and attitude. Have you been able to pinpoint what is holding this team back?)
That's part of what I spoke on today. It's not 'you did this and you didn't do that.' It starts with the head coach. My job is to connect all the dots. Connect the dots from practice, preparation throughout the week and make sure it carries over to the game.

wist43
11-29-2008, 09:15 AM
I think MM is a good coach... but will never win a championship with the schemes they run, and TT's revolving door of draft picks.

Actually, to me, it seems like an odd fit for MM... he seems like a tough guy, but runs a finesse offensive scheme, and a passive defensive scheme... hate em both.

Still, I think he's a good coach.