PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassel

Cheesehead Craig
11-26-2008, 11:49 AM
This guy is going to be on a different team next season as he's a UFA. He'll never re-sign with New England with Brady coming back next season.

Can they put the franchise tag on him and then trade him? Or is he going to be a true UFA?

Rastak
11-26-2008, 11:53 AM
This guy is going to be on a different team next season as he's a UFA. He'll never re-sign with New England with Brady coming back next season.

Can they put the franchise tag on him and then trade him? Or is he going to be a true UFA?

The collective bargining agreement prohibits franchising a guy to trade him. I believe he's an UFA so they either have to pony up the tag and pay him 14 mil to be a backup or he's gone to the highest bidder.

Guiness
11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Am I missing something here? Brady's coming back? :lol:

Seriously though - why can't he be franchised then traded? Isn't that what we did with CW? I don't think there's anything that prohibits the trading of a franchised QB.

Wow though, that's a hefty tag. I assume the highest one?

Patler
11-26-2008, 12:04 PM
The really interesting part to me is that some reports say Brady has had numerous setbacks, and may not be ready for 2009. What does NE do then? Do they try to sign Cassel, just in case?

Rastak
11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
The really interesting part to me is that some reports say Brady has had numerous setbacks, and may not be ready for 2009. What does NE do then? Do they try to sign Cassel, just in case?

I would say yes but they'd have to compete on the open market. They'd almost have to franchise him to keep him a year.

LL2
11-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Cassel is benefiting from being in the Patriots system and Belichek's coaching. He will get top dollar from some other team. I just hope he isn't in the NFC north...but then again the Vikes, Bears, and Detoilet know how to screw up a QB's career.

Cheesehead Craig
11-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm thinking they have to franchise him, just in case Brady is slow in coming back. Problem then becomes when Brady is ready to come back. That's a lot of money to tie up at that spot.

It definately will be interesting to see who is going to pony up the draft picks to get him. Would the Lions give up the #1 overall for him?

Rastak
11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking they have to franchise him, just in case Brady is slow in coming back. Problem then becomes when Brady is ready to come back. That's a lot of money to tie up at that spot.

It definately will be interesting to see who is going to pony up the draft picks to get him. Would the Lions give up the #1 overall for him?

You don't give up draft picks for an UFA, just lots of money.

Patler
11-26-2008, 02:26 PM

If Brady can't play at all in 2009, it might be a viable option for the Patriots to franchise tag Cassel. Its only a one year commitment. There are some different rules for players who have injuries that carryover to the next season regarding the salary cap (the so-called "Full season PUP list") that I haven't looked at in a long time. Generally, the high price players also have some contract provisions regarding extended injuries, so the cap impact might not be as bad as we might think. Brady's bonus will still be there, but the impact from any salary might not be so much. But then again maybe it will too, I'm not sure.

Cheesehead Craig
11-26-2008, 02:33 PM

I was going with the assumption that they would franchise Cassell.

SkinBasket
11-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Someone will dazzle him with dollars and the chicks that go with being the starter somewhere and then find out he's just a back-up quarterback who was surrounded by several strings deep talent in NE. Maybe him and Matt Schuab can compete for a job somewhere.

Rastak
11-26-2008, 02:43 PM

As I mentioned before, the CBA prohibits a team from franchising a guy to trade him. Think about it. The union negotiated free agency , they made a concession for teams to keep their best players. They don't allow you to tag a guy just so you can peddle him to the highest bidder. He's an UFA next year, they either have to franchise him and keep him or simply negotiate like everyone else.

edit: Upon further consideration. I wonder if both the NFL and NFLPA turn a blind eye to that provision. I believe it says you can't franchise a player you do not intend to keep, but Kansas City franchised Jared Allen and then dealt him. Was Corey Williams franchised by Green Bay?

Patler
11-26-2008, 03:49 PM

As I mentioned before, the CBA prohibits a team from franchising a guy to trade him. Think about it. The union negotiated free agency , they made a concession for teams to keep their best players. They don't allow you to tag a guy just so you can peddle him to the highest bidder. He's an UFA next year, they either have to franchise him and keep him or simply negotiate like everyone else.

The Packers put a franchise tag on Corey Williams, then traded him.

I think what you are referring to is that the team can not officially trade him until he actually signs the tendered contract that goes with the tag. A lot of players "hold out" and do not sign right away. Practically speaking, what usually happens is that the two teams negotiate the trade, the new team negotiates a new contract with the player, the player signs the tender from the first team, the trade is completed, then the player signs the new contract with the second team.

Just a technicality that gives the player a little control over where he ends up, but not a lot.

Rastak
11-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Ha!

I was just posting my edit when I was Patlerized.

edit: Yes, upon further research I do believe you can legally franchise a guy only to shop him. I also would agree that if the player played hardball he could simply not sign the tender but I would expect a healthy market for Cassel. Brady NEVER threw for 400 in games back to back. Pats are in a good position here, assuming Brady comes back healthy.

Guiness
11-27-2008, 07:30 AM

edit: Upon further consideration. I wonder if both the NFL and NFLPA turn a blind eye to that provision. I believe it says you can't franchise a player you do not intend to keep, but Kansas City franchised Jared Allen and then dealt him. Was Corey Williams franchised by Green Bay?

Does the CBA actually prohibit it? As I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure GB franchised Williams this past year, then traded him.

If it does prohibit it, the PA turn must turn a blind eye to the trade, so long as the player involved doesn't complain. Signing a franchise offer would then effectively gives a player a built in 'no trade' clause that he has to waive.

Guiness
11-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Someone will dazzle him with dollars and the chicks that go with being the starter somewhere and then find out he's just a back-up quarterback who was surrounded by several strings deep talent in NE. Maybe him and Matt Schuab can compete for a job somewhere.

Are you suggesting Schaub was surrounded by several strings of deep talent? The team that the owner himself said he would be happy with 4 wins this year?

MadtownPacker
11-27-2008, 08:26 AM
brady is a gimp for the next year and is gonna be 32+ by the time he is back to his old self if he ever is. My money is on Video Bill sticking with cassel for good.

Bretsky
11-27-2008, 08:37 AM
BB helped make Cassell a ton of loot regardless of where he ends up. Hope is isn't with MN

KYPack
11-27-2008, 08:53 AM
brady is a gimp for the next year and is gonna be 32+ by the time he is back to his old self if he ever is. My money is on Video Bill sticking with cassel for good.

Could be. That's the NE way. Favre AND TB traded in a one year span?

Man, somewhere Bulldog would have an aneurysm.

Patler
11-27-2008, 09:34 AM

That is the thought I have had in the back of my mind, sort of the way Brady himself took over. Came in when needed, performed well, the torch was passed.

Cassel isn't a lot younger than Brady, but has a lot less mileage, basically not have played since high school!

Guiness
11-27-2008, 10:13 AM
There is always that outside possibility. Remember that Bledsoe was a pretty darn good QB when he was shown the door.

That would sure be something if he did that.