PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Famers Playing

Partial
11-27-2008, 11:23 PM
What current players are likely to end up in the Hall?

Does a guy like McNabb make it? I say no because he doesn't have an MVP or a super bowl. But, their is hardly any denying he has been one of the best players in the past 10 years.

Urlacher is probably a shoe in.

LT will make it obviously. Moss is likewise obviously a shoe-in

Does Hass ever have a shot?

Joemailman
11-27-2008, 11:37 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say Favre might have a shot.

]{ilr]3
11-27-2008, 11:52 PM
What current players are likely to end up in the Hall?

Does a guy like McNabb make it? I say no because he doesn't have an MVP or a super bowl. But, their is hardly any denying he has been one of the best players in the past 10 years.

Urlacher is probably a shoe in.

LT will make it obviously. Moss is likewise obviously a shoe-in

Does Hass ever have a shot?

Moss and Urlacher dont have those either.

Thinking of guys who have been in the league for awhile and earned concideration

Kurt Warner is sure looking more and more like a 1st ballot HoFer, unless he has a few more games like tonight this season.

Ray Lewis
Ed Reed

Fred Taylor?
Orlando Pace?
Marvin Harrision?
Issac Bruce?
Tory Holt?

sepporepi
11-28-2008, 02:37 AM
Peyton Manning
Tony Gonzales
T.O.
Walter Jones?

KYPack
11-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Some others that are candidates - Tom Brady, Brian Dawkins, and Derrick Brooks.

Marvin Harrison seemed like a lock, this last year really harmed his legacy, with the gun deal and some somewhat cowardly play at times.

Not OT, but man, I'd like to see Leroy Butler get in there. In his peak seasons, he was the best S in the game.

No Hass, BTW.

Partial
11-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Some others that are candidates - Tom Brady, Brian Dawkins, and Derrick Brooks.

Marvin Harrison seemed like a lock, this last year really harmed his legacy, with the gun deal and some somewhat cowardly play at times.

Not OT, but man, I'd like to see Leroy Butler get in there. In his peak seasons, he was the best S in the game.

No Hass, BTW.

Brady, Dawkins and Brooks are shoe-ins imo.

If hass makes a few more pro bowls, I could see it happening.

HarveyWallbangers
11-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Hass? Not a shot. Unless the last 1/3 of his career goes much better than the first 2/3.

HarveyWallbangers
11-28-2008, 10:56 AM

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is hard to get into for certain positions. There are very few safeties in it. If a guy like LeRoy Butler (who was voted on the all decade team for the 90s) is a longshot to make it, then I can't say Dawkins a shoe-in. I think he should and probably will, but it's not a slam dunk.

KYPack
11-28-2008, 11:30 AM

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is hard to get into for certain positions. There are very few safeties in it. If a guy like LeRoy Butler (who was voted on the all decade team for the 90s) is a longshot to make it, then I can't say Dawkins a shoe-in. I think he should and probably will, but it's not a slam dunk.

Yeah, they squeeze some positions. Ditka was the first TE, for instance and some deserving guys there have not gotten in. Safety is another tough one. I know what you mean, both butler and Dawkins should be shoo-ins, but neither of 'em might make it.

They are kinda tough on WR's. Art Monk had to wait forever, then he squeezed Cris Carter out!. I know a lot of Packer Fans hate CC, but it's a farce he wasn't elected on the first ballot.

DonHutson
11-28-2008, 11:40 AM
QB - IN: B. Favre, P. Manning, T. Brady; Close but no cigar: K. Warner

RB - IN: Tomlinson; Close but no cigar: J. Lewis, A. Green, E. James

WR - IN: T. Owens, R. Moss, M. Harrison; Close but no cigar: I. Bruce, T. Holt

TE - IN: T.Gonzalez

OL - IN: J. Ogden, O. Pace; Close but no cigar: A. Faneca, S. Hutchinson, O. Kreutz

DL - IN: J. Taylor; Close but no cigar: D. Freeney, J. Kearse, P. Williams, R. Seymour

LB - IN: R. Lewis. D. Brooks, B. Urlacher, J. Seau

DB - IN: C. Bailey; Close but no cigar: C. Woodson, R. Harrison

sheepshead
11-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Hass who?

denverYooper
11-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Hass who?

gesundheit

sheepshead
11-28-2008, 11:50 AM
No really, who is Hass?

denverYooper
11-28-2008, 12:23 PM
No really, who is Hass?

Matt Hasselbeck.

sheepshead
11-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Ahhh thank you.

Guiness
11-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Great thread 8-)

Moss is interesting - the way things were going 2yrs ago, he wouldn't have gotten mention. Now, unless things go right off the rails, he should be in easily. The only thing that makes me wonder is how voters will look at those 'non-performing' years sandwiched right in the middle of his career when he should've been dominating.

Urlacher might make it on name recognition - not so sure he deserves it. Another guy who's name recognition helps and hurts, but deserves some consideration is Woodson.

Trying to think of new names...I think Richard Seymour has done enough. Dwight Freeney should be in if he continues to play at the current level. Hines Ward could also be headed.

Closer to home - in our division - a couple of guys it's way too early to predict, but look like they could be headed that way - AP is looking like it. On our team - the nod goes to Jennings.

As HW mentioned, some positions are tough - but then again, the football HOF is pretty tough all around. Ogden should make it in first ballot. Boselli dominated for a short period - but 7 yrs is too short a career, IMO.
Walter Jones and Orlando Pace should both make it.

Two other recent retirees at tough positions - at safety, Darren Woodson, at guard, Larry Allen.

sheepshead
11-28-2008, 02:24 PM
I dont think McNabb gets in easily. If it ended today youd have to pick Warner over Manning Im thinking. Mannings brother might be on the list too especially if the Giants have a few more winning seasons. Ryan Longwell?

DonHutson
11-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Trying to think of new names...I think Richard Seymour has done enough.

I had Seymour as close, but not quite there. But I think you're right that he's likely in. Not so much for himself, but based on the fact that the Pats have won several titles and dynasty type teams tend to put a lot of players in the hall. So Seymour and Rodney Harrison might get in as much for being on those championship teams as anything else.

Walter Jones was a good one that I forgot.

Nobody's mentioned coaches yet, I don't think. Belichek will get in. Spygate might cause him to wait an extra year or two, but they can't keep him out. Any others? I'd say close but no cigar on Holmgren. Bill Cowher (currently on hiatus, but he should be in the discussion)? I'd vote no on Shanahan. Gruden has a lot of years left to add to his resume.

sheepshead
11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Theodore Thompson