PDA

View Full Version : TT will get haynesworth

steve823
11-28-2008, 02:46 AM
http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081010/SPORTS/81010010

Lol..imagine that though..that would help us so much and with jenknins back..wow

Jenkins - Haynesworth-Pickett-Kampman

im dreamin tho

Fritz
11-28-2008, 07:03 AM
That's just not a Ted kind of signing. Besides, it sounds like Tennessee will make every effort to keep him. And finally, somehow I get the feeling that Haynesworth might be the kind of guy who, once he gets the big contract, will let himself coast a little.

KYPack
11-28-2008, 07:45 AM
That would be an "Anti-TT" move.

He doesn't go for the marquee FA's. TT likes to spot a value guy and give him an incentive laden deal.

Albert will sign a huge money deal and his agent is going for just that.

RashanGary
11-28-2008, 07:53 AM
I don't see why we wouldn't be in the sweepstakes. He's a uniquely domiate player. I've seen him toss Olineman aside like they were running backs.

TT isn't going to go out and pay an average FA a stars salary, but Haynesworth is a legit star, a unique talent. I think TT will be in the conversation.

denverYooper
11-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Make the Pro Bowl. He made it last season with 379 tackles and 15.5 sacks for a 10-6 team.

Damn, that's a lot of tackles :shock:

denverYooper
11-28-2008, 08:08 AM
I don't see why we wouldn't be in the sweepstakes. He's a uniquely domiate player. I've seen him toss Olineman aside like they were running backs.

TT isn't going to go out and pay an average FA a stars salary, but Haynesworth is a legit star, a unique talent. I think TT will be in the conversation.

I can see this if he thinks we have a shot at making a run in the next year or two. The bonus of having him on the roster is that maybe Harrell learns a lot about how to use his similar frame.

LL2
11-28-2008, 08:20 AM
It would be awesome to have a player like that especially if he kept his stats up, but agree that it's not something TT would do.

cpk1994
11-28-2008, 09:22 AM
It would be awesome to have a player like that especially if he kept his stats up, but agree that it's not something TT would do.Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett beg to disagree.

bobblehead
11-28-2008, 09:34 AM
He will be 28 next season start. I think a nice FAT 4 year deal would be something TT would explore, but you know some GM is going to offer him 97% of the salary cap.

packrat
11-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Or, in the case of Denver or San Francisco, 150%. Though I am sure that would earn them a slap on the wrist like the last time they ignored the salary cap.

denverYooper
11-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Or, in the case of Denver or San Francisco, 150%. Though I am sure that would earn them a slap on the wrist like the last time they ignored the salary cap.

*cough* Dallas *cough*

Noodle
11-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Like others have said, this guy is the real deal. He's a physical freak of nature -- huge, no fat, just 320 pounds of mayhem-creating muscle.

It would be a Reggie-esque signing. Sometimes those work out ok.

Rastak
11-28-2008, 10:50 AM

Since it's gone in 2010 maybe the NFL doesn't care.

rbaloha1
11-28-2008, 11:17 AM
The Packers have the salary cap space.

Upgrade and younger than Pickett. Hopefully TT makes the deal.

In TT we trust.

PackerBlues
11-28-2008, 11:21 AM
The only way that Thompson would pick up any free agent, is if he doesn't have to get into a bidding war with any other team. Its not going to happen.

rbaloha1
11-28-2008, 11:30 AM
The only way that Thompson would pick up any free agent, is if he doesn't have to get into a bidding war with any other team. Its not going to happen.

Based on play TT may be forced to make a serious attempt at AH. Premature to say "Its not going to happen."

PackerBlues
11-28-2008, 12:26 PM

Based on play TT may be forced to make a serious attempt at AH. Premature to say "Its not going to happen."

Its not premature if Thompson doesn't change his ways. He will not get into a bidding war with another team! If any other team makes AH an offer, Thompson will stick his head in the sand.

Besides, Thompson probably still expects Justin Harrell to become a one man force for the D-line. Who needs AH? :roll:

wist43
11-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Never happen...

946 players in next years draft... standard TT offseason :D

gbgary
11-28-2008, 01:29 PM
he's got to do something to counter the negativity that's been attributed to him. it would help the team and be politically smart.

texaspackerbacker
11-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Going after Haynesworth would indicate that Thompson had given up on Harrell. I doubt he's ready to do that just yet.

Even in that case, the only way he would pull the trigger is if it looked like a bargain situation. And that seems doubtful.

Bretsky
11-28-2008, 02:03 PM
never will happen

I'd be fine if this thread is used as an I told you so against me though :lol:

When Haynesworth signs with somebody everybody will coin the phrase "overpaid" again.

RashanGary
11-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Depends on how outrageous it is. He certainly deserves to be the highest paid DT and maybe Dlineman, but how much over?

There comes a point where it's not worth it, but that point is pretty damn high with a guy like Hayensworth. I think we'll be in the conversation. We could use him. He's great. TT is in the conversation with a lot of great players and this is one we really need (unlike Moss and Gonzo which were more luxury pieces). Eventually one will come through. Maybe there is enough motiviation for this one?

3irty1
11-28-2008, 02:16 PM
I see no reason to count TT out of talks. The only reason I'd say it won't happen is because it'd be too good to be true.

prsnfoto
11-28-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't like your sense of humor. :D

DonHutson
11-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Unless the Titans completely lowball him, I suspect he'll get a deal done in Tennessee. Didn't he go to school there? They seem like a tight-knit D. Titans don't have many high priced players. They should have plenty of money.

I'd be shocked if he went anywhere, even more so if he ended up here. Not a criticism of Ted, but if he left 31 teams would be after him. Tough odds.

Guiness
11-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I think JH is right - will he be incredibly highly paid? Yes, of course. And it will raise eyebrows around here, and around the league, whatever the number he gets. But whatever it is, I don't think I'll call it overpaid, because he is probably the best in the league at his position.

texaspackerbacker
11-28-2008, 06:28 PM
That's what they said about Reggie White. The question is, is this guy worth Reggie-money--in today's dollars?

I tend to think, no. I tend to think Thompson will decide, no also.

Haynesworth is the flavor of the month, but he doesn't have the long term performance or the character of Reggie White.

gbgary
11-28-2008, 06:50 PM
That's what they said about Reggie White. The question is, is this guy worth Reggie-money--in today's dollars?

I tend to think, no. I tend to think Thompson will decide, no also.

Haynesworth is the flavor of the month, but he doesn't have the long term performance or the character of Reggie White.

so spending money (that we'll never miss) should only be spent for the type of player that only comes along every twenty/thirty years or so?

Partial
11-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I'd say the chances of this happening are at about .00001%. Teddy T would never pony up money like that.

Noodle
11-29-2008, 12:09 PM
It would actually be smarter than the Reggie deal. The Minister of Defense was around 32 or 33 when he signed with the Pack AH would be 28. That's 4 years of prime, top-of-his-game play that the Pack would get that we never got to see from Reggie.

Sign AH, draft 3 DEs and 3 OLs, then watch the Lombardi tropheys come rolling in. You heard it here first.

RashanGary
11-29-2008, 05:21 PM
8 years, 100 million with 30 mil in the first year is my guess at his contract.

Is he worth that?

Several teams are getting tight on cap space again. Maybe it stays down a little but this will be the best UFA to hit the market maybe since Reggie White. It should be a blockbuster.

Rastak
11-29-2008, 05:22 PM
8 years, 100 million with 30 mil in the first year is my guess at his contract.

Is he worth that?

Several teams are getting tight on cap space again. Maybe it stays down a little but this will be the best UFA to hit the market maybe since Reggie White. It should be a blockbuster.

No cap in 2010.

RashanGary
11-29-2008, 05:25 PM
No cap in 2010.

Rastak, if it gets to that, that means the owners are done agreeing to the level of profit sharing, probably a strike and whenever shit gets in order your team (along with Arizona, Buffalo, Cinci and a few others) will be obsolete. The Packers will have trouble, but not nearly as the bottom 5 revenue teams. I enjoy football, but I'll honestly consider not watching if the league is not on a somewhat even playing field for each team. As far as that relates to this, I really don't think teams should be spending with that day in mind because the stuff that will go down along with it will be disasterous to the league and if they're not one of the few rich teams they will have even less than they do now. If anything it will lessen the competition because the poor teams will be affraid to spend and the rich teams are mostly against the cap right now so they'll have a hard time getting the dollars high enough early for Hayensworth to sign. The more I think about it, we might have an even better chance with Tennesee being poor as fuck and maybe afraid to spend with profit sharing possibly changing dramatically (taking away most of their money).

Rastak
11-29-2008, 05:36 PM
No cap in 2010.

Rastak, if it gets to that, that means the owners are done agreeing to the level of profit sharing, probably a strike and whenever shit gets in order your team (along with Arizona, Buffalo, Cinci and a few others) will be obsolete. The Packers will have trouble, but not nearly as the bottom 5 revenue teams. I enjoy football, but I'll honestly consider not watching if the league is not on a somewhat even playing field for each team. As far as that relates to this, I really don't think teams should be spending with that day in mind because the stuff that will go down along with it will be disasterous to the league and if they're not one of the few rich teams they will have even less than they do now. If anything it will lessen the competition because the poor teams will be affraid to spend and the rich teams are mostly against the cap right now so they'll have a hard time getting the dollars high enough.

I am absolutely with you. The cap and the way it's structured at least maintains some balance in the league. I have zero interest in american football turning into baseball.

But that having been said, unless the CBA is re-negotiated in the next year there is no cap in 2010. Teams would be stupid to ignore this fact.

MJZiggy
11-29-2008, 05:40 PM
On the flipside of that, though, is the fact that the cap could wind up renegotiated. If that happens, some teams could have re-run themselves right back into cap hell.

Rastak
11-29-2008, 05:43 PM
On the flipside of that, though, is the fact that the cap could wind up renegotiated. If that happens, some teams could have re-run themselves right back into cap hell.

That's very possible Zig. I can't imagine in the end there wouldn't be a cap unless there were some really restrictive tags created.

I do know this, usually things don't go down (unless it's the stock market) so I would guess the cap isn't going to shrink.

MJZiggy
11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Isn't the cap based on revenue? If so and the pocket-tightening I'm hearing about is real, then it is possible that it would go down slightly or hold flat. Could get interesting. Not as interesting as Plaxico landing in jail for shooting his own stupid leg, but interesting nonetheless.

Rastak
11-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Isn't the cap based on revenue? If so and the pocket-tightening I'm hearing about is real, then it is possible that it would go down slightly or hold flat. Could get interesting. Not as interesting as Plaxico landing in jail for shooting his own stupid leg, but interesting nonetheless.

It is now, but who knows what the future tie in is?

I hope the NFLPA gets a realist as head. Times are hard, they better realize that.

RashanGary
11-29-2008, 08:09 PM
It's tough to bring everyone together. In order to keep salaries high and an even playing field that means the rich owners have to give money to the poor so the poor can spend.

The NFLPA wants the most money possible. In order to get that there either has to be no cap (where the rich spend it all on their own) or sharing (where the rich give to the poor to spend). They'll settle for either without a strike.

The commish wants what is best for the league as a whole. The smaller teams want a lot of sharing. The bigger teams are sick of giving their money away to see teams like Arizon and Minnesota now spending like drunken sailors and not bringing in dough. It's going to be a big bloody fight.

To me, I wouldn't mind a compromise where they lessen sharing a little and raise the cap a little. This way the poor teams won't be able to afford quite as much as the Cowboys and Redskins but it won't be out of hand either. There will be a cap. This keeps the rich happy because they do get to benefit from their more successfull financial status and the poor teams should be happy because they're still getting sharing and it's still somewhat fair.

DonHutson
11-30-2008, 10:09 AM
It would actually be smarter than the Reggie deal. The Minister of Defense was around 32 or 33 when he signed with the Pack AH would be 28. That's 4 years of prime, top-of-his-game play that the Pack would get that we never got to see from Reggie.

Character is a factor though, too. There's no such thing as a 'sure thing' but Reggie was the closest guy to it. There was virtually no chance of Reggie coasting after he got the money. I don't think Haynesworth brings the franchise shifting leadership that Reggie brought. Who could?

I would be a little more nervous about Haynesworth. I believe he had a rap for being a little lazy in college and his first couple years in the pros. Maybe he turned it around. Maybe he saw payday was coming.

I'm not saying I wouldn't sign him, but I think he's a much bigger gamble than Reggie.

Patler
11-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Have you all forgotten??? Haynesworth was almost released by the Titans in 2006.

He stomped on the head of a Cowboy lineman who I believe had lost his helmet and then kicked him in the face, sending the player to a plastic surgeon. This was his third such incident, once in college when he came looking for a team mate with a pole, and once in practice with the Titans when he also kicked an O-lineman in the head. After the Cowboy's incident, the NFL suspended Haynesworth for 5 games, and Fisher made his infamous comment about maybe not ever letting him back into the Titan's locker room, saying he was sickened by Haynesworth's actions. Haynesworth's explanation? Something to the effect that he was doing what the Titans paid him to do, kill anyone who got in his way.

Doesn't sound too Reggie White-like to me.

Maybe the guy has matured, and has learned, but maybe not, too. There would be risk in signing him, as the Cowboy incident was just two years ago.

Noodle
11-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I haven't forgotten the cowboy incident, but the guy has been squared away since then. From stuff I read, he's turned a corner in his maturity, and he is without question a high-effort guy.

Have you forgotten how he chased after Jennings in the game against the Titans? A friggin DT, and he was flat out flying trying to get at Jennings. The dude is all that.

He's getting serious consideration for league MVP for cryin' out loud, and Reggie never got that. As I recall, we paid our last league MVP around 10 to 12 percent of our cap. Just something to consider, that's all.

Patler
11-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I haven't forgotten the cowboy incident, but the guy has been squared away since then. From stuff I read, he's turned a corner in his maturity, and he is without question a high-effort guy.

Have you forgotten how he chased after Jennings in the game against the Titans? A friggin DT, and he was flat out flying trying to get at Jennings. The dude is all that.

He's getting serious consideration for league MVP for cryin' out loud, and Reggie never got that. As I recall, we paid our last league MVP around 10 to 12 percent of our cap. Just something to consider, that's all.

I said maybe he has matured, but you have to admit that a guy who has exhibited an uncontrollable and violent temper over a 10 year period is not without risks, especially since his last incident was not that long ago. Physically, he is a very gifted and talented player, may never have another incident, etc. But when he excuses his conduct with the things he said just two years ago, expecting him to provide the locker room leadership that White did is a dream. It is more likely he is one who needs a strong leadership influence to keep him on the right path.

Noodle
11-30-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm not saying he would provide the leadership White did -- no one, not even Favre, was close to Reggie as a team leader in the post-Lombardi era.

But if today's game doesn't make you salivate at the thought of AH shoring up the middle of the line, then I question your love of this team. And of this country.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm not saying he would provide the leadership White did -- no one, not even Favre, was close to Reggie as a team leader in the post-Lombardi era.

But if today's game doesn't make you salivate at the thought of AH shoring up the middle of the line, then I question your love of this team. And of this country.

God I miss Reggie White, I still remember shaking his hand as a kid and being on cloud 9.

bobblehead
11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I'll just say this.

I would much rather pay Haynesworth 10 million per annum than CWilliams 6 million per annum.

RashanGary
11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Hopefully that incident drives his price down. I can understand how the emotions get carried away in a game. He's a smart, hard working dude though. I think he's more than a manimal. He's a smart football player that happens to be a manimal and plays with a nasty streak that got carried away a couple times but hasn't since.

I would love to have him and I do think we'll be in that conversation. I really do.

Patler
11-30-2008, 06:55 PM

I'm not sure if I would like to have him on the Packers or not. Certainly I would like to have a player of his ability on the Packers, but whether or not I would want Haynesworth himself is not a question I can answer because I do not know him. He will take a huge investment to sign. Based on his documented past, I would want to understand his personality a lot better before deciding if I would want to make the huge, long term investment in HIM that it will take.

P.S. You should know by now that I do not love the Packers, or any other sports franchise. I simply watch for entertainment, and cheer for the team I follow the closest, but the ultimate outcome doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I got over that about the time I reached puberty, I think! :lol:

Patler
11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
This is the statement Haynesworth released 5 days after the incident:

NASHVILLE, TN—Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, suspended five games by the NFL for stomping on the head and kicking the face of Cowboys center Andre Gurode last Sunday, issued a statement this morning saying he "just wanted to make absolutely sure [Gurode] was dead for good." "The Titans pay me to do one thing out there—kill anyone who gets in my way," said Haynesworth, who is serving the longest suspension for on-field actions in league history for his attempted murder. "Doing a thorough job is just good fundamentals… On your first day of high-school ball, they tell you football's no more than blocking, tackling, and bodily assault with the intent to commit homicide."

So, after thinking for five days about what he had done to earn one of the longest suspensions ever for on-field actions, that is the explanation he came up with.

I would have a good, long interview with him before offering him 10s of millions guaranteed, and would have a lot of "clauses" in the contract.

3irty1
11-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Isn't Julius Peppers also a FA at the end of the season?

Noodle
11-30-2008, 07:11 PM
And since that incident, and his statement, how many times has he been involved in a similar incident. Zero.

The guy has walked it. He wouldn't be a contender for league MVP (no defensive player has won it since LT) if he were still a mess. So the interview will be nice and all, but I'm more impressed by what he's done since the stomping.

And if that attitude of his doesn't make you drool just a little bit then you just don't love . . . oh yeah, I forgot. Never mind. :wink:

RashanGary
11-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Yes. I think there are SEVERAL good ones this year. Some teams are finally getting tight against the new, increased cap so free agency might be much more friendly this year.

Noodle
11-30-2008, 07:13 PM

He is, and he'd be someone to consider.

Though some may not want him after he blasted A-Rod at the end of the game.

Patler
11-30-2008, 07:17 PM
And since that incident, and his statement, how many times has he been involved in a similar incident. Zero.

The guy has walked it. He wouldn't be a contender for league MVP (no defensive player has won it since LT) if he were still a mess. So the interview will be nice and all, but I'm more impressed by what he's done since the stomping.

And if that attitude of his doesn't make you drool just a little bit then you just don't love . . . oh yeah, I forgot. Never mind. :wink:

But his previous incidents were all separated in time by a couple years too. Coming after a team mate with a pole in college, thenkicking a team mate in the head in practice a few years later in TN, then a year and a half after that, the incident with the Cowboys. You could have assumed he learned from the previous ones, too, because of the time that passed before another incident ocurred. But apparently he did not.

Patler
11-30-2008, 07:18 PM

He is, and he'd be someone to consider.

Though some may not want him after he blasted A-Rod at the end of the game.

I wonder what that will cost him? Petty much every late hit is assessed a few thousand, anyway.

Noodle
11-30-2008, 07:20 PM
I didn't see the game, but the Rock said it was pretty blatant. Probably in the low 5 figures, I'm guessing.

DonHutson
11-30-2008, 07:21 PM
I wonder what that will cost him? Petty much every late hit is assessed a few thousand, anyway.

Like every other cheap shot this year, the answer is not enough to get the players' attention and therefore not enough to address the problem.

wist43
11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Peppers??? Even if Carolina allows him to hit the open market, no way TT even makes a phone call.

Same thing with Haynesworth...

TT isn't going to pony up the first nickel for a big $$$ FA. He'll bottom feed and try to find someone along the lines of Pickett and Woodson, i.e. guys that maybe can still play, but nobody is bidding for them.

Expect another 847 trade downs and draft day, and another 6,786,982 draft picks.

Partial
11-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Why does everyone think these two are hitting the market? IMO, neither does. Peppers is far too good and would be the highest paid player in the league. Haynesworth is right behind him and would be up there.

Both of their teams will lock them up.

The Leaper
11-30-2008, 09:16 PM
TT isn't going to pony up the first nickel for a big $$$ FA.

Expect another 847 trade downs and draft day, and another 6,786,982 draft picks.

Damn, Wist...you say that like you've seen it happen before...

Um...

Oh yeah.

red
11-30-2008, 09:24 PM
oh christ patler
who here doesn't want to stomp on the face of a cowboy player, coach, or their owner?

hell, i'd throw on the old track shoes with the 5/8 inch snow spikes in them

Tarlam!
12-01-2008, 06:17 AM
Well, TT surprised me, personally, when he went up to draft that Thompson fellow this Spring.

I doubt TT goes after either of Pep or AH, 'cause they will cost a fortune.
And, I don't think this is about TT being cheap. I think this has a lot to do with locker room harmony. If one guy gets too much of the pie, the wheels will fall off.

Depending on who's in the first round, TT might go up and get a stud rookie. They cost fortunes, too, but it has become accepted to a large extent by vets.

TT is no idiot. He sees more than us fans when he's watching a ball game. He is a great talent evaluater, IMHO. Or his staff are.

From a fan perspective, I say YES to an interior consisting of Pep and AH, sprinkled in with a bit of Pickett and Jolly. I don't see it, though.

cheesner
12-01-2008, 12:10 PM
oh christ patler
who here doesn't want to stomp on the face of a cowboy player, coach, or their owner?

hell, i'd throw on the old track shoes with the 5/8 inch snow spikes in them :P

I doubt this will happen.

I have a strong suspicion that this is only a 'contract year' performance. A player who under-performs for several years, exhibits behavioral issues, and then suddenly comes on strong? I think it is risky, but it is tough to say having never met the man. If TT thinks it is a genuine level that AH has reached, yes I see TT making a strong play for him. In my opinion, I think a dominating DT will go a long ways to making the Packers a much better team.

Regardless of what JH does, TT appears to like to have a lot of DT bodies that can be kept fresh by rotating in.

Although TT has made few pushes for early signing of top tier FAs - (Arrington ?) Don't discount that the Packers are currently a different team than at any time under TT. Perhaps we are in a position where TT feels the situation is right for a big signing.

That being said, I hope he doesn't do it. Too risky with this player, and I doubt we even get a chance as Tenn will resign him.

HarveyWallbangers
12-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I have a strong suspicion that this is only a 'contract year' performance. A player who under-performs for several years, exhibits behavioral issues, and then suddenly comes on strong?

Actually, he's been dominant for the last 2-3 years. I think it was more that he came into his own.

Partial
12-01-2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nlEA8BUTQ

NO!

3irty1
12-05-2008, 12:58 AM
I know this is Haynesworth thread but here's a short little article about Peppers not resigning with the Panthers yet.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/371432.html

They have a few players due for new contracts this year and have already resigned Chris Gamble to a fat six year contract that is supposed to make him one of the top 5 highest paid corners in the league. I think its looking more and more likely that they are forced to franchise and possibly trade Peppers.

SnakeLH2006
12-05-2008, 03:02 AM

Oh Christ son, put away your TT crackpipe. Yea, TT and EVERY other NFL fan knows he's a beast. TT goes for undrafted dudes for cheap or a gamechanger on the rarity (Woodson being the only one) on the cheap. Heynesworth will set the bank at 13 million a year easily on the market. There is no fucking way TT will/or even has a chance to sign him. Wow. Just wow that you could feasibly think that is possible. Go get TT some more tea, and lay off the hella Jolt sodas son. 8-) It's possible (albeit small chance at this point) that TT won't even be around next year the way this is going.

Gunakor
12-05-2008, 11:30 AM

Oh Christ son, put away your TT crackpipe. Yea, TT and EVERY other NFL fan knows he's a beast. TT goes for undrafted dudes for cheap or a gamechanger on the rarity (Woodson being the only one) on the cheap. Heynesworth will set the bank at 13 million a year easily on the market. There is no fucking way TT will/or even has a chance to sign him. Wow. Just wow that you could feasibly think that is possible. Go get TT some more tea, and lay off the hella Jolt sodas son. 8-) It's possible (albeit small chance at this point) that TT won't even be around next year the way this is going.

What makes you think TT won't spend money if it's warranted? The top priced FA's in the market most years aren't worth it. Certainly you could agree with me there. When a real star is out there, especially at a position of need, I fully expect TT would make a legitimate offer. Just because TT would rather promote from within doesn't mean he won't look elsewhere if it's the right fit. Haynesworth in Green Bay would be a great fit, and I'd be extremely disappointed if TT weren't at least in the conversation.

But if some other team enters the discussion and offers 14+ million/year when Haynesworth is only worth 10 or 11 million/year, we won't see him here. And that's fine, because IMO unless you are a top 5 player in the NFL, all positions included, you aren't worth that much. Let another team pay it. I don't want to see any one player on our roster eating up that much salary, regardless of where he plays or how good he is.

It's tough to build a 53 man roster, not to mention resigning young studs like Greg Jennings or Tramon Williams, when one player is eating up well over 10% of your total team payroll. Don't forget we still might need to throw some money at our OL too. There's only so much to go around, and TT might find that money more useful spread amongst a number of very solid football players vs. one stud football player. And I for one could not find much fault in that choice.

Lurker64
12-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I have to say, I would be very surprised if Thompson seriously pursued Haynesworth, but on the other hand that's precisely why it might happen.

Since two things are clear to me:
1) Ted Thompson is difficult to predict.
2) Ted Thompson believes firmly in the value of good defensive tackles.

I personally wouldn't object to giving Haynesworth 14m/year provided the "character risk" issues are resolved, since the two most critical positions (and the hardest positions to fill well) are "Quarterback" and "Defensive Tackle". Somebody else will probably come along and make him "the highest paid player in the history of the league" and I'd be hesitant to pay him that.

cheesner
12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I have to say, I would be very surprised if Thompson seriously pursued Haynesworth, but on the other hand that's precisely why it might happen.

Since two things are clear to me:
1) Ted Thompson is difficult to predict.
2) Ted Thompson believes firmly in the value of good defensive tackles.

I personally wouldn't object to giving Haynesworth 14m/year provided the "character risk" issues are resolved, since the two most critical positions (and the hardest positions to fill well) are "Quarterback" and "Defensive Tackle". Somebody else will probably come along and make him "the highest paid player in the history of the league" and I'd be hesitant to pay him that.

Dang. Thats a lot of money. I hope most of that would be in performance incentives and good behavior rewards. Not sure what that would do for the other defensive player's attitudes.

KYPack
12-05-2008, 06:56 PM
AH could well be a 90 million dollar package.

14 - 15 million a year @ 5yrs

15 - 18 million for the SB.

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

RashanGary
12-05-2008, 08:12 PM
AH could well be a 90 million dollar package.

14 - 15 million a year @ 5yrs

15 - 18 million for the SB.

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think you might be right. It could get VERY VERY high. I don't remember a player of his caliber EVER getting to UFA (since Reggie of course and Reggie was better but older).

It's going to be very unpredictable.

Packers4Ever
12-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Based on TT's prior moves, I doubt very much he can be forced into

moving any deals too fast, serious attempts included.

Unfortunately, this is where a really good deal could be missed.

Partial
12-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I'd take Peppers over Haynesworth 8 days a week.

3irty1
12-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Ditto.

Lurker64
12-05-2008, 11:24 PM

Peppers is getting Franchised though, so that's irrelevant.

Packerarcher
12-06-2008, 02:20 AM

Sign AH, draft 3 DEs and 3 OLs, then watch the Lombardi tropheys come rolling in. You heard it here first.

That's exactly why TT would never do a deal with AH it would be SMART,and that the man is not. An egotistical idioit he is,but hey at least there will be plenty of years of over payed no names on the D that TT hand picked.

steve823
12-06-2008, 03:08 AM

Haynesworth>Peppers :P

Lurker64
12-06-2008, 04:29 AM
at least there will be plenty of years of over payed no names on the D that TT hand picked.

You can say many things about Thompson, far from all of them positive, but one thing you cannot say about the man is that he's prone to overpaying. With the notable exception of Ryan Grant, he's somewhat notoriously tight with his resources, notable for letting a lot of FAs go elsewhere because he sets a price and does not exceed it. That's a knock on Thompson, probably, but where on earth do you get the "overpaid no names" argument? How many overpaid no names do we have on defense?

I mean, look at the 2008 salaries on our defense. All of our Safeties are making $500k or less; Harris and Woodson aren't no-names and they're only making about 4.5m, Patrick Lee being potentially overpaid at 1.5m but he's a rookie, with Bush, Blackmon, and Williams making very little; Hawk, Barnett, Chillar, and Poppinga all making 3-4m; Pickett, Harrell, and Cole making 2.6m, 2m, and 1.4m respectively; and Kampman, Jenkins, Montgomery, Hunter, and Thompson making 3.1m, 2.4m, 525k, 450k, and 796k respectively.

With the possible issues of the dead weight KGB's contract (brought to you by Mike Sherman) left lying around and the contracts of Harrell and Lee (who were relatively high draft picks), it's hard to claim a single player on the defense is really overpaid. Most of our starters on defense are in the $500-3m range and for an NFL starter it's hard to say that's "overpaying", particularly since the salary cap is $116,729,000 this year and the roster only has 53 guys on it which amounts to $2,202,433.96 per player if divided equally (which is unrealistic since most of those guys are backups or STers).

If anything, Thompson is guilty of being to stingy which makes it hard to sign free agents which would improve our defense. IMO, Haynesworth may well be worth breaking the bank for.

Bretsky
12-06-2008, 06:12 AM
at least there will be plenty of years of over payed no names on the D that TT hand picked.

You can say many things about Thompson, far from all of them positive, but one thing you cannot say about the man is that he's prone to overpaying. With the notable exception of Ryan Grant, he's somewhat notoriously tight with his resources, notable for letting a lot of FAs go elsewhere because he sets a price and does not exceed it. That's a knock on Thompson, probably, but where on earth do you get the "overpaid no names" argument? How many overpaid no names do we have on defense?

I mean, look at the 2008 salaries on our defense. All of our Safeties are making $500k or less; Harris and Woodson aren't no-names and they're only making about 4.5m, Patrick Lee being potentially overpaid at 1.5m but he's a rookie, with Bush, Blackmon, and Williams making very little; Hawk, Barnett, Chillar, and Poppinga all making 3-4m; Pickett, Harrell, and Cole making 2.6m, 2m, and 1.4m respectively; and Kampman, Jenkins, Montgomery, Hunter, and Thompson making 3.1m, 2.4m, 525k, 450k, and 796k respectively.

With the possible issues of the dead weight KGB's contract (brought to you by Mike Sherman) left lying around and the contracts of Harrell and Lee (who were relatively high draft picks), it's hard to claim a single player on the defense is really overpaid. Most of our starters on defense are in the $500-3m range and for an NFL starter it's hard to say that's "overpaying", particularly since the salary cap is $116,729,000 this year and the roster only has 53 guys on it which amounts to $2,202,433.96 per player if divided equally (which is unrealistic since most of those guys are backups or STers).

If anything, Thompson is guilty of being to stingy which makes it hard to sign free agents which would improve our defense. IMO, Haynesworth may well be worth breaking the bank for.

Great Post

I'd consider him borderline stingy, which is fine.....just not too likeable since I'm a guy who enjoys tracking free agency.

Of course some will point to Woodsen; but they should also consider the circumstances. TT loved Arrington and lost out on him. We were sitting on over 35,000 of space and a team that was crap so TT frontloaded a deal to bring us talent and use up a good loot of space.

I find that type of deal for TT to be the exception given the circumstances rather than the norm.

RashanGary
12-06-2008, 07:26 AM
I think he'll strongly consider it. Maybe he'll end up locking Kamp and Jennings up for the same price as AH and move on without him, but I see no reason that he won't be in the conversation. If it gets out of hand, he probably won't be the highest bidder, but none of these things are exactly predictable. For whatever reason, if the price doesn't go through the roof, he'll be there to scoop in. He seems to be involved in the conversation with every star that is available lately.

Fritz
12-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Makes you wonder if Ted's feeling the public heat. I mean, look at the Gonzalez talks.

Would Gonzalez have helped this team all that much in exchange for a third rounder? Not unless he can break out a few spin moves and play on the defensive line, or simultaneously play and coach special teams.

Even next year he wouldn't be of that much help, I don't think. He'd just be an aging player who's aged another year.

Fred's Slacks
12-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Makes you wonder if Ted's feeling the public heat. I mean, look at the Gonzalez talks.

Would Gonzalez have helped this team all that much in exchange for a third rounder? Not unless he can break out a few spin moves and play on the defensive line, or simultaneously play and coach special teams.

Even next year he wouldn't be of that much help, I don't think. He'd just be an aging player who's aged another year.

I think TT is just a "no stone unturned" kind of guy. If there is talent to be acquired, he's going to inquire about it. Just because he doesn't land a lot of big names, people think he just sits around the office and admires his draft picks. People like to forget about the misses. Moss and Gonzales are the most recent. If I remember correctly we had the highest offer to both Lavar Arrington and Adam Vinitiari but Arrington wanted to stay in his division and Vinitiari wanted to play indoors. There were numerous others that they had in for visits but didn't get deals done for one reason or another. People can complain that he hasn't been aggressive enough in contract negotiations but despite what many think, TT has been active.

Partial
12-06-2008, 11:40 AM

I'd gladly send a first and a second for Peppers :D

Partial
12-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Haynesworth>Peppers :P

I strongly dissagree. Peppers is far more athletic, blessed with better size, has freakishly long arms, and hasn't stomped on anyones face. Worst he has done is smoked some pot. Guy is much more of a Packer person, and most importantly of all, he has produced from day 1, being at a near all-pro level his rookie season.

Lurker64
12-06-2008, 11:46 AM

But if Haynesworth and Peppers cost the same in terms of salary (tag number for DEs is $14m-$17m), and Peppers will cost you a first and a second and Haynesworth costs you no draft picks, that's a tough pill to swallow even if you greatly prefer the DE to the DT here. I mean, it's not like Haynesworth wouldn't help this team.

RashanGary
12-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Haynesworth is more impressive to me. He's a brute. Peppers is good, but no better than Kampman IMO. I don't care how they performed 5 years ago. Rigth now I think Haynesworth is the best defender in the NFL.

cpk1994
12-06-2008, 11:58 AM
The only way that Thompson would pick up any free agent, is if he doesn't have to get into a bidding war with any other team. Its not going to happen.How quickly you forget Lavar Arrington and Adam Viniteri. TT had the largest offer on the table over other teams for both of them, but Arrington wanted to stay in the division, and Viniteri wanted an indoor team. Your statement is patently false.

Lurker64
12-06-2008, 12:07 PM
How quickly you forget Lavar Arrington and Adam Viniteri. TT had the largest offer on the table over other teams for both of them, but Arrington wanted to stay in the division, and Viniteri wanted an indoor team. Your statement is patently false.

Not only that but it turns out that both decisions worked out for Thompson. Arrington had a degenerative knee condition that took him out of the league right after he signed that contract, and Vinatierri has been nothing special in Indianapolis.

Not that Thompson is a genius for anticipating these things, but sometimes it's the case that "not signing a guy" is the best decision.

Partial
12-06-2008, 12:33 PM

But if Haynesworth and Peppers cost the same in terms of salary (tag number for DEs is $14m-$17m), and Peppers will cost you a first and a second and Haynesworth costs you no draft picks, that's a tough pill to swallow even if you greatly prefer the DE to the DT here. I mean, it's not like Haynesworth wouldn't help this team.

Why does everyone assume he isn't going to be franchised? Titans GM isn't that dumb.

RashanGary
12-06-2008, 12:58 PM

Why does everyone assume he isn't going to be franchised? Titans GM isn't that dumb.

I believe there are 5 clauses and if any one of them is met the Titans agreed to not franchise AH. They did this to prevent him from getting pissed off at being franchised this year so he knew he just had one more year and he's be open.

One of the clauses is making the probowl. He's as good as gone because that is all but certain.

Lurker64
12-06-2008, 12:58 PM

As part of the one year deal Haynesworth made after being franchised in 2008 there was language that said he could not be franchised in 2009 if he meets certain playing incentives. I believe he is well on his way to meeting them, if he has not already. So the Titans cannot franchise him for the 2009 season, which is why they won't.

Partial
12-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, my guess is AH is a Titan next year.

Lurker64
12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, my guess is AH is a Titan next year.

It's pretty unlikely. They're not allowed to negotiate with him until the season is over (so six weeks before free agency starts) and that close he's going to want to test the waters. Plus Tennessee Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt is even more hesitant to spend money than the tightwad we have in charge, so they're simply not going to get in a bidding war.

The Titans will try to sign him during the six week window they have, but if he hits Free Agency he's gone. I imagine that the curiosity of his market price and the insistance of his agent will get him into FA.

Guiness
12-06-2008, 02:45 PM
If I remember correctly we had the highest offer to both Lavar Arrington and Adam Vinitiari but Arrington wanted to stay in his division and Vinitiari wanted to play indoors. There were numerous others that they had in for visits but didn't get deals done for one reason or another. People can complain that he hasn't been aggressive enough in contract negotiations but despite what many think, TT has been active.

The Arrington thing is almost funny. IIRC he wanted to stay in his division so he could stop the Redskins twice a year.

That didn't work out so well for him...

Guiness
12-06-2008, 02:47 PM
The Titans will try to sign him during the six week window they have, but if he hits Free Agency he's gone. I imagine that the curiosity of his market price and the insistance of his agent will get him into FA.

Why can't they negotiate during the season?

If he makes it to the end of the season uninjured, there's no way he doesn't go to free agency. At that point, all he has to do is sit on his butt and wait for the money to roll in. Only way to interest him would be if they signed him during the year, because anyone can have a career ending injury on any play in the NFL.

RashanGary
12-06-2008, 02:57 PM

There is a date, sometime shortly after we extended Rodgers, that teams cannot resign a deal that money would go on this years cap. Essentially the first money he would get that would be guaranteed would be after the season. Signing anything now wouldn't make sense to AH unless he wnats to give up on UFA and not be guaranteed if he gets injured anyway (similar to Jwalks fugazi deal in Denver where everyone thought he pulled one over but he didn't get shit until his UFA year anyway). He might as well wait and let the bidding war begin. They let him get here (porbably because of the head stomping incident).

He's going to be the biggest free agent since Reggie White. This is a very unique situation.

Guiness
12-06-2008, 03:13 PM

There is a date, sometime shortly after we extended Rodgers, that teams cannot resign a deal that money would go on this years cap. Essentially the first money he would get that would be guaranteed would be after the season. Signing anything now wouldn't make sense to AH unless he wnats to give up on UFA and not be guaranteed if he gets injured anyway (similar to Jwalks fugazi deal in Denver where everyone thought he pulled one over but he didn't get shit until his UFA year anyway). He might as well wait and let the bidding war begin. They let him get here (porbably because of the head stomping incident).

He's going to be the biggest free agent since Reggie White.

Ok, that makes sense. They could've negotiated early in the season, but it's too late now.

Partial
12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
He can still be signed just money from this years cap can't be used. With a team like the Titans, they likely have 6-7 games left. That is plenty of time to get hurt. I would not be at all surprised to see a contract announced in the next week or two.

RashanGary
12-06-2008, 04:49 PM
He can still be signed just money from this years cap can't be used. With a team like the Titans, they likely have 6-7 games left. That is plenty of time to get hurt. I would not be at all surprised to see a contract announced in the next week or two.

In order to guarantee money at all, at least some of it would have to go on this years cap. Any roster bonus for next year would not be guaranteed as it's a bonus if he's still on the roster next year (they can cut him if he's injured and not pay it so he has zero security).

Whether he signs it today or when the season is over makes no difference. If he signs it today he does relinquish his rights to free agency but he's not guranteed any money if he gets hurt. He gives up something but gets nothing.

Hopefully that makes sense. The bottom line is that he won't get anything if he signs today so he might as well wait and let the bidding war dictate the price. It's unique for a player of his stature in his prime to get to this point. I think the Packers are one of the teams that need him most and can afford him most. We should be in it.

If he wanted to show loyalty and they really wanted him they could negotatate an extremely high contract (with the threat of free agency driving up the price) before free agency but for it to get to this piont it just shows they are not willing to give him that type of commitment. Plus, by forcing him to risk it all for another year, I'm sure he feels he has to do what's best for him as they didn't worry about him and simply did what was best for them. Good will should be lost at this point. I think all signs point to him hitting UFA.

RashanGary
12-06-2008, 04:56 PM
I'd give him the same contract Jared Allen got (without the draft picks of course).

3irty1
12-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Who has the money and the need for a guy like Haynesworth besides us should he hit the market?

Partial
12-06-2008, 09:25 PM
His signing bonus is still guaranteed and would count against next years cap. Doh!

bobblehead
12-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Who has the money and the need for a guy like Haynesworth besides us should he hit the market?

think about what you just asked. who needs a dominant pass rushing DT in his prime. I can only think of 31 teams besides us. Who has the money?? Hard to say, but we do.

Partial
12-07-2008, 12:17 AM
This guy has performed for two years now. Both contract years. I'd bet he goes back to face stomping and being lazy after getting his deal.

SnakeLH2006
12-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Ok...lots of back and forth shit, but really how much money do we have in 2009? Anyone have a number. Do I believe Ted will inquire, well yes, as will all other 31 GM's....ass AH is a beastman based on other players/personal reports from scouts/media...haven't seen him much but he sounds like the toughest dude to block one-on-one from many reports...Could we use that, hells ya..but is EVERY other team gonna pursue him and make him possibly the highest paid NFL player in history, prob yes again.

2 Q's:

How much cap space will we have next year?
Who is the highest paid (yearly on average) NFL player currently?

There's no way we get AH, esp with Kampy, Jennings, etc. coming up with new deals...and I'd love to see it, just 0 chance it happens.

steve823
12-07-2008, 04:27 AM
All I want to see is TT lock up Jennings, First priority. Then go for Haynesworth.

pack4to84
12-07-2008, 05:25 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081206/PKR07/81206039/1058/PKR01

Haynesworth has a good chance of hitting the free-agent market in the offseason, because in order to get him to training camp in late July, the Titans agreed to forfeit the right to use the tag on him again after this season if he reached any one of four incentives. It’s almost a given now that he’ll reach at least one if not all four: Make the Pro Bowl, which appears to be a lock; play in 60 percent of the team’s defensive snaps, another high likelihood; play in 53 percent of the defensive snaps and have the Titans win 10 games (they’ve already won 11); or play in 53 percent of the defensive snaps and have Tennessee finish in the top five in total defense (the Titans currently rank No. 5).
Looks like he will be a free-agent.

Rastak
12-07-2008, 07:02 AM
It certainly seems like he'll hit free agency. I guess there's a chance the Titans will pony up and sigh him since they can't use the tag. There will be quite the bidding war if he hits the market.

Patler
12-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Best DT contracts recently:
Tommie Harris - $18 million guaranteed, 5 year contract, averages $8 million/year.
Shaun Rogers- $20 million guaranteed, 7 year contract averages $7 million/year.
Tommie Kelly - $18 million guaranteed, 7 year contract averages $7 million/year.
Kevin Williams - $16 million guaranteed, 7 year contract averages $7 million/year.
Cory Redding - $16 million guaranteed, 7 year contract averages $7 million/year.

Highest total compensation in 2008:
Kelly - just under $14 Million
Harris - just under $12 million
Klecko - $10.64 million
Jenkins - $9.5 million
Rogers - $7.6 million

Highest 2008 cap value:
Klecko - $10.65 million
Williams - $8.4 million
Haynesworth - $7.25 million
Griffin - $6.166 million
Harris - $6.032 million