PDA

View Full Version : Christl Confused Over Cut Blocking

pbmax
06-29-2006, 10:39 PM
I think Christl and McGinn are the best reporters covering the Packers. Of course, I have a built-in bias as I don't regularly read the Press Gazette. But Cliff was a little sloppy with this blog. Its certainly interesting, but he loses something in the details....

THURSDAY, June 29, 2006, 1:03 p.m.
An interesting mix

The coaching profession sometimes makes for strange bedfellows. This year, offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski has introduced the Green Bay Packers to a zone blocking scheme, which calls for cut blocks on the backside of running plays. Jagodzinski learned the scheme under Alex Gibbs in Atlanta the past two years. From 1993-'94, Gibbs was an assistant in Kansas City, a team that made effective use of cut blocks, particularly with its wide receivers. Mike McCarthy, the Packers' new head coach, was an offensive quality control coach those two years with the Chiefs.

A cut block is when an offensive player throws his body into the knees of a defender. It's a legal block if the defender isn't engaged with another blocker.

After Gibbs left, but while McCarthy was still with the Chiefs, there were two incidents in 1996 that stirred controversy, if not outright bitterness.

One occurred in a game against Seattle on Oct. 17. Kansas City wide receiver Chris Penn blindsided linebacker Winston Moss with a cut back. An enraged Moss retailiated and was thrown out of the game, although the NFL subsequently fined Penn $5,000 for an illegal cut block. Ten days later, Kansas City's Dale Carter, a Pro Bowl corner lining up at wide receiver, cut block Denver cornerback Lionel Washington. Washington suffered a partially torn knee ligament and while he was being attended to by the medical staff, Carter stood near him laughing.

Today, Moss and Washington are defensive assistants for the Packers, working with offensive coaches who won't apologize for teaching cut blocks and working for a head coach who was viewed as the enemy a decade ago.

Interesting, if not ironic.

pbmax
06-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Number one, diving into someones knees is not a cut block. It could also be a chop block or a crack back block, both of which have been legislated against.

The plays Christl describes, WRs coming into the interior to knock the knees of LB and DEs are ilegal now. Lionel and Winston wouldn't have to be concerned with Driver and Ferguson. They'd have to be worried about the off guard and center.

Number 2, Christl ignores the use of cut blocking by Beightol and Lovat, by both Sherman and Holmgren.

Harlan Huckleby
06-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Number one, diving into someones knees is not a cut block. It could also be a chop block or a crack back block, both of which have been legislated against.

Nah, I checked into this carefully recently. Blocking somebody in the knees is exactly what a cut block is, and it's legal all over the field.

The plays Christl describes, WRs coming into the interior to knock the knees of LB and DEs are ilegal now.

It's legal if their head is in front of the player they are blocking. Otherwise it is a crack back, as you are thinking.

The only tricky/confusing point with this stuff is that clipping is legal inside the tackle box, if the block is above the back of the knee of the defensive player.

pbmax
06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Nah, I checked into this carefully recently. Blocking somebody in the knees is exactly what a cut block is, and it's legal all over the field.blocking.
Harlan, can you repost that? I looked through your recent messages and couldn't find it. Or do you remember the thread?

I thought there was a specific prohibition against players outside the tackle box coming back in to lay b block below the waist.

Noodle
06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Blue Dog speaks truth on this. Diving at the knees is not the prefered technique, I gather, but from the interview Tausch gave a few weeks ago on cut blocking, diving happens.

Especially if your guy is getting ahead of you a little, then you launch yourself. All 300 plus pounds of you.

Boom.

I'm trying not to go on and on like a broken record on the ZBS, but I just don't like where this is heading. True, Satan (Gibbs) himself is not coaching, but Son of Satan is. Now maybe Jags goes does a Keanu Reeves in Devil's Advocate, but I'm guessing Jags does a Damien.

Rastak
06-30-2006, 09:29 AM
And I sound like a broken record also but if it's not safe to do in practice against your own team should it even be done in games?

Partial
06-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Only when playing the vikings and whatever team Warren Sapp is on :lol:

beakerman
06-30-2006, 09:51 AM
In the end cutblock, chopblock, or cockblock, the story is still somewhat interesting and irronic, and a good example of how time cures all evils.

jack's smirking revenge
06-30-2006, 10:05 AM
It is a dangerous practice and should be regulated. Until it is though, I hope the Packers perfect it.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

tyler

Rastak
06-30-2006, 10:09 AM
It is a dangerous practice and should be regulated. Until it is though, I hope the Packers perfect it.

tyler

Is that Petty in your avatar?

jack's smirking revenge
06-30-2006, 10:10 AM

tyler

Are you calling me petty? :D

tyler

Rastak
06-30-2006, 10:21 AM

tyler

Are you calling me petty? :D

tyler

Cause Tom Petty was rockin Monday night in Saint Paul. I'm not a huge Tom Petty fan but he outdid Pearl Jam who also played...anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program.

jack's smirking revenge
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
I heard it was a great show. Someone I know went to both nights of it. I'm not that much of a Petty fan, but it would've been nice to see Pearl Jam. Too pricey for me.

tyler

Partial
06-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Man I wish I lived in Minneapolis. You guys get so many awesome concerts!

Rastak
06-30-2006, 10:47 AM
I heard it was a great show. Someone I know went to both nights of it. I'm not that much of a Petty fan, but it would've been nice to see Pearl Jam. Too pricey for me.

tyler

Petty blew them away, which shocked me.

jack's smirking revenge
06-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Man I wish I lived in Minneapolis. You guys get so many awesome concerts!

Make it happen Partial! I don't know where you live, but you're never that far away. There are lots of Packer fans here... :D

tyler

Partial
06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately I am very poor and in school, but perhaps when I am done. They've got a lot of big companies up there I know, so its possible I could catch on with one them.