PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Democracy

HarveyWallbangers
11-29-2008, 12:33 AM
For those that liked the first four G N' R albums (all of them), you're going to like this one. The first time through, I thought it was solid (not great), but every time I listen to the thing, it gets better. Now, I think it's a good album. I think the first time through, it's hard to get used to the fact that most of the songs sound different from any other song on the album. Outside of Axl's voice, it sounds like a different band could have recorded each song. On many songs, I thought to myself that Axl is the only one that would have the balls to try that, and he pulls it off on most of them. Appetite was Appetite (IMHO, one of the five best albums of all-time), so that's not what it sounds like. Hell, two or three of the original band members were gone by the time the Illusion albums came out. I think it's better than the Illusion albums (which would have been one great album if they took the best songs from both albums). I still love Slash, but this album is much better than anything the ex-members of G N' R have ever put out. That's not saying much--since the first Velvet Revolver album is about the only thing worth listening to from the others.

My personal favs:

Better
If The World
There Was A Time (like a couple of other songs, the first half of the song is ordinary but the second half kicks ass)
Sorry (Pink Floyd meets Axl's angry growl)
Madagascar (somehow Axl made it work despite the too-long MLK part)

The songs that didn't work for me were Street of Dreams and Riad & The Bedouins.

Oscar
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_E2Ch2Las4

I'm checking it out now. So far Better is my hands down fav. But, I'm still making my way through the whole disk.. Me thinks this would work for a B-day gift. Hit 42 on the 20th :oops: