PDA

View Full Version : Sink or Swim with Philip Rivers

Partial
06-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Who's behind this kid? I think he's gonna be a player! He was great in college and has had two years to sit and soak it all up. I see a big year from him, despite it being the first year tossing the football in a game!!

RashanGary
06-30-2006, 12:40 AM
I like Rivers too. You never know untill they hit the field but I think he had everything Manning had except the name.

Bretsky
06-30-2006, 12:43 AM
I like Phil up the River better than Arodgers

the_idle_threat
06-30-2006, 05:42 AM
I know I have absolutely nothing to base this on except a gut feeling, but I honestly think he will be a bust. I can't tell you why, but that's the feeling I've had since he was drafted. I think I read some things about him before the draft that year that were unsettling. I was very surprised when he was picked 4th overall, and even more surprised this offseason when the Chargers let Brees go.

Zool
06-30-2006, 07:40 AM
I know I have absolutely nothing to base this on except a gut feeling, but I honestly think he will be a bust. I can't tell you why, but that's the feeling I've had since he was drafted. I think I read some things about him before the draft that year that were unsettling. I was very surprised when he was picked 4th overall, and even more surprised this offseason when the Chargers let Brees go.

I have that same feeling. He has that "me first" attitude. I hate to see someone flop like Ryan Leaf, but I just have a bad feeling about this.

Rastak
06-30-2006, 08:16 AM

I have that same feeling. He has that "me first" attitude. I hate to see someone flop like Ryan Leaf, but I just have a bad feeling about this.

I haven't really seen a bunch of play me or trade me quotes despite the fact he's sat as a second stringer after being drafted so high. What has he said that makes him sound like he's not a team player?

Zool
06-30-2006, 08:32 AM

I haven't really seen a bunch of play me or trade me quotes despite the fact he's sat as a second stringer after being drafted so high. What has he said that makes him sound like he's not a team player?

I dont know how to explain it. It just seems like he's overtly cocky. Maybe I just hate that attitude and my personal byass is getting in the way, but he seems like a real jackass. You never hear players say they really like the guy or anything. They all just say the PC things like "he's got a great chance to succeed" or "he has all the tools". I know the NFL isnt a popularity contest, but you have to have the trust of your teammates. If they dont like you, as a QB you might be screwed.

Rastak
06-30-2006, 09:06 AM
I dont know how to explain it. It just seems like he's overtly cocky. Maybe I just hate that attitude and my personal byass is getting in the way, but he seems like a real jackass. You never hear players say they really like the guy or anything. They all just say the PC things like "he's got a great chance to succeed" or "he has all the tools". I know the NFL isnt a popularity contest, but you have to have the trust of your teammates. If they dont like you, as a QB you might be screwed.

I agree with that last statement...I guess we'll all find out......can't wait for preseason!

[/quote]

Partial
06-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Lets put it this way, if they didn't think this kid would play, they would have signed Brees to a rich one-year deal.

the_idle_threat
06-30-2006, 09:35 AM
This is the same team that thought Ryan Leaf could play.

Partial
06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
... and the same team that was smart enough to trade mike vick for ladainian and drew brees

Zool
06-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Which pretty much proves the point that you just never know.

This is also the team that still has Marty as the HC.

KYPack
06-30-2006, 10:38 AM
This is the same team that thought Ryan Leaf could play.

Saw a great piece during "draft week"

It was excellent if you hate Mel Kiper, (which 98% of pro football fans do)

It was a piece from '98. Mel Kiper was acting outraged. He was proclaimming Ryan Leaf the greatest QB propect ever and screaming how foolish any team would be to select Peyton Manning over Leaf. it was great.

I don't think Rivers will make it either. His personality rubs me the wrong way. Rivers has a little Cade McNown in him.

Partial
06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Where do you guys get this from with Rivers? I've never heard anything bad about his personality. The only knock on him that i've ever heard was that goofy delivery. He has a solid arm, is smart, and is fast enough. It does not hurt that he has one of the premier backs of our time in his backfield.

I am just thinking that AJ Smith knows more than us, and knew exactly what he was doing when he let brees walk.

There are two rules in the NFL.
1. Never let a pro-bowl quarterback go at any cost
2. Never let a pro-bowl defensive end walk at any cost

I don't think they are dumb enough just to let Brees go if they don't think Rivers will be better. They had the cap space to franchise Brees for a year. Despite the questions about his arm, it would be low risk to franchise him. Which is absolutely what they would have done, injury and all, if they didn't think Rivers could bring them a superbowl.

KYPack
06-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Where do you guys get this from with Rivers? I've never heard anything bad about his personality. The only knock on him that i've ever heard was that goofy delivery. He has a solid arm, is smart, and is fast enough. It does not hurt that he has one of the premier backs of our time in his backfield.

I am just thinking that AJ Smith knows more than us, and knew exactly what he was doing when he let brees walk.

There are two rules in the NFL.
1. Never let a pro-bowl quarterback go at any cost
2. Never let a pro-bowl defensive end walk at any cost

I don't think they are dumb enough just to let Brees go if they don't think Rivers will be better. They had the cap space to franchise Brees for a year. Despite the questions about his arm, it would be low risk to franchise him. Which is absolutely what they would have done, injury and all, if they didn't think Rivers could bring them a superbowl.

Rivers acted a little funky in some of the interviews I'd seen. Young QB's need to at least act humble, even it's phoney. You might be right, he might make it, I just have a bad vibe about the guy.

San Diego was caught in the old squeeze. Sure, they could fit both guys in this year, but eventually, you only keep 1 big money QB. They had two and went with the kid.

I didn't think they got a lot of value for Brees, but the league knew he was leaving anyway.

mraynrand
06-30-2006, 09:07 PM
I think Aaron Rodgers will be better than Rivers. Looks better too.

http://snl.jt.org/arc/char/PhHa-Frankenstein.jpg

chain_gang
06-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Rivers looked horrible in preseason outings I've seen, and the spot duty starts. He will surely be a bust. San Diego should have kept Cleo Lemon, Rivers was only the no.2 guy because of where he was drafted. Sounds familar right?

Well enough sarcasm, I have no idea if he'll be a good/great player or a bust, but I do know this much. The odds of him being a bust are much greater, than being a great QB. He was in the same draft class as Eli Manning, and Big Ben, both of which have turned out great or are on their way to great. J.P Losman turned out to be a bust as of now, and I can't see a 75% to 25% Good QB to bust ratio happening, in fact I can't say I've ever seen it. Now I may be wrong about that, but I do know it doesn't happen very often. If I was a Betting man I'd put my money on Rivers being a bust, just because of percentages, and those terrible preseason and mop up showings I've seen. :wink:

SD GB fan
07-01-2006, 12:07 AM
rivers didnt look any better than arod during mop up duty but im willing to give him a chance. living in SD, i hope he does do well and LT/gates will ease him into the season. but i think we were better off keeping brees who was just coming to his own 2 years ago and now in his prime. o well, marty and AJ smith are high on rivers ever since he got drafted and never really clung on to brees, despite his impressive past 2 seasons. rivers is lucky to be on a good team tho.

Mazzin
07-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Don't know, have a feeling he will be a bust, but than again I think Rodgers will be to. I hope my feelings are wrong.

The nfl IS a popularity contest its just one BIG NEVER ENDING drama, and we all LOVE it.

SD GB fan
07-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Don't know, have a feeling he will be a bust, but than again I think Rodgers will be to. I hope my feelings are wrong.

The nfl IS a popularity contest its just one BIG NEVER ENDING drama, and we all LOVE it.

especially in the slow offseason. cant wait for training camp and next season

The Leaper
07-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Personally, I don't have a good feeling about Rivers...but I don't think he is going to be a major bust. He's just not going to be good enough to warrant his draft status or dumping Brees.

SD GB fan
07-01-2006, 01:12 AM
brees had a pretty rough start himself. fans thought they went from ryan leaf to worse. i remember ol' flutie running around for TDs when they benched brees in 2003. good stuff

GoPackGo
07-01-2006, 01:07 PM
With offensive weapons Phillip has to work with I have to think he will be a success. That is if he has the nerves not to force things and try to be Brett Favre.
I like the Chargers this year with Rivers at the helm. I think they will be like the 04' Bengals. 8-8 or 9-7

SD GB fan
07-01-2006, 01:15 PM
im guessing marty is just gonna tell him not to fuck up and just watch LT play this year. but i heard he has a better deep ball than brees. so im thinking next year SD in the superbowl if rivers and their corners develop. and a better line to protect LT.

GoPackGo
07-01-2006, 01:19 PM
im guessing marty is just gonna tell him not to fuck up and just watch LT play this year. but i heard he has a better deep ball than brees. so im thinking next year SD in the superbowl if rivers and their corners develop. and a better line to protect LT.

http://www.fourxfourthestore.com/art/klyo/img/klyo_08.jpg

Chargers in the Superbowl? lol

KYPack
07-01-2006, 09:35 PM

Easy there big boy!

They must have a big vat of Charger Kool-Aid down there in SD & you had a little sip, eh?

I think SD has a nice ballclub, but....

They mighta stepped in it by going with the kid instead of keeping Drew Brees. No Marty coached team has ever gone deep in the play-offs, so relax a little, SD.