PDA

View Full Version : I'm considering a series of draft history posts...

Rastak
11-29-2008, 04:08 PM
I am bored as hell so I was considering writing a series of articals/posts on the NFL draft.

Starting with the AFL/NFL merger and going round by round, not list all the picks but notable things from each round. Some facts and stats and highlighting Green Bay and Minnesota's picks when it makes sense.

Is there any interest in this? Would this bore people to tears? Honest answers please.

Here is an example of what I was thinking from the 1st round of the 1970 draft. Any format changes? Any comments?

================================================== ================

1970 - A look back at the NFL draft

First Round:

Hall Of Fame: PIT - QB Terry Bradshaw

Most Pro Bowls: 4 OAK - TE Raymond Chester

Longest Career: Retired 1984 HOU - G Doug Wilkerson, RAM - LB Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds

Most Years starting: 14 years HOU - G Doug Wilkerson

Most Games played: 204 HOU - G Doug Wilkerson

Certainly Pittsburg hit the jackpot with Bradshaw with the first
overall pick but how about the Houston Oilers drafting a guy who
started 204 games, yet he only played 9 of them for Houston. Oops.

Hacksaw Reynolds was a mainstay at LB for years for the Rams.

Raymond Chester was an outstanding football player.

Green Bay took DT Mike McCoy who went on to play in 132 games and started 85 games with the 2nd overall pick. Mike retired in 1980.

Minnesota took G John Ward late in the first round and appeared in 78
games as a backup lineman. John retired in 1976.

Other notable players from the 1st round:

NOR - WR Ken Burrough - 2 pro bowls - retired 1981
CIN - DT Mike Reid - 2 pro bowls - Retired 1974
SF - DE Cedrick Hardman - 2 pro bowls - retired 1981

KYPack
11-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Looks cool to me, bub.

Mike McCoy (the big one) started a lot more than 7 games. He was the starting DT for several seasons anyway.

Rastak
11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Looks cool to me, bub.

Mike McCoy (the big one) started a lot more than 7 games. He was the starting DT for several seasons anyway.

Oops

He started 7 Seasons. I gotta change that.

bobblehead
11-29-2008, 04:52 PM
I like this idea. It will show people how hard it is to get 53 all pros on the roster....which seems to be the standard that TT is being held to now that we aren't 13-3

MJZiggy
11-29-2008, 05:07 PM
I like it...

Bretsky
11-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I like this idea. It will show people how hard it is to get 53 all pros on the roster....which seems to be the standard that TT is being held to now that we aren't 13-3

I'm starting to get a laugh out of all this 53 All Pro Talk; nobody is saying that. But if ya make TT out to be the glory boy last year this year he does deserve some darts.

TT has done an alright job; he's just back to earth minus #4 and a couple breaks last season.

One think TT should be held accountable for is the DL though.

He brought in a mere 4th round DL on a unit that lost it's top pass rushing DT last year. He banked on the young guys....Harell...Hunter...Montgomery...etc....prod ucing at higher levels than they have. We've lost games because our DL gets shredded against the run. Jenkins didn't produce most of last year; he's hurt this year. The guys we banked on stepping up have not. If you listened to the interviews going into the season it seems pretty apparent TT overestimated his talent there and we have paid for it more than once this year

Packers4Ever
11-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Looks cool to me, bub.

Oops

He started 7 Seasons. I gotta change that.

You can "fix" that, buddy !
:P :P :P

esoxx
11-29-2008, 05:15 PM
TT hasn't even had an all pro draft pick in his four years of drafting for GB, much less a pro bowler.
Maybe he'll break through this year with Jennings.
I'm not as impressed with TT's overall draft prowess as most of the TT lovers on this board profess and chronically chirp to be gospel.

Fritz
11-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Ras - I like it, very much. I enjoy the look back, especially as I grew up in the 70's.

Please, though, skip 1974 - I think - that was the year the Pack traded away a zillion first round draft picks for over-the-hill John Hadl.

Noodle
11-29-2008, 07:33 PM
This is a GREAT idea! Seriously, this would give us all some much needed perspective, and it sure beats hell out of the mind-numbing TT/Favre debate.

Please, please, please do this.

DonHutson
11-30-2008, 10:02 AM
It would be cool if projects like this could be saved somewhere on the site for easy reference (as opposed to hunting for it in the forum). Maybe others will be inspired to add their own projects. Kind of like our own little Packer/NFL Wikipedia.

Bretsky
11-30-2008, 11:24 AM
great idea BTW Ras

Patler
11-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Great idea! I look forward to the "series"!