PDA

View Full Version : TE Finley: Taking a Moment to Adjust

Brando19
11-29-2008, 09:33 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/35235299.html

I hope Finley turns into a stud TE for the Packers. Hopefully the article is right, Green Bay drafted him a year early and he needs time.

Noodle
11-29-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm going to pull for him, but I can't help but see a little bit of Fergie in him. He too was drafted early (after his Junior year) and had a lot of growing up to do.

It really is impossible for those of us who grew up in relatively stable homes to understand all the things guys like Finley have to go through. There are some good role models on the team, like DD, who also had hard paths, and I think the kid would be smart to hang with them a bit and not do the go-it-alone route.

Finley has terrific physical tools. I'll always bum about not getting Keller in that draft, but Finley is our guy, and I'll be rooting for him.

KYPack
11-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I think they have to be creative with Finley. Here's a kid with a ton of talent that is a long way from being an NFL TE. Use him in some situations that create some space for him to move around. He can't block a lick, but he can leap (sometimes) and run.

A double TE set with both TE's on the same side would give you the ability to shake that kid loose and generate some offense occasionally.

Give it a shot, it couldn't hurt.

bobblehead
11-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm going to pull for him, but I can't help but see a little bit of Fergie in him. He too was drafted early (after his Junior year) and had a lot of growing up to do.

It really is impossible for those of us who grew up in relatively stable homes to understand all the things guys like Finley have to go through. There are some good role models on the team, like DD, who also had hard paths, and I think the kid would be smart to hang with them a bit and not do the go-it-alone route.

Finley has terrific physical tools. I'll always bum about not getting Keller in that draft, but Finley is our guy, and I'll be rooting for him.

People keep talking about keller cuz he caught a few passes. don't forget the guy is 6'2" and probably can't take out a solid LB on a running play. That matters too.

SnakeLH2006
11-30-2008, 12:28 AM

People keep talking about keller cuz he caught a few passes. don't forget the guy is 6'2" and probably can't take out a solid LB on a running play. That matters too.

Agree...at this point that's all that matters..Who expects big plays out of a rookie TE, esp. one at 21 in the NFL? If he gets in make some ST tackles, make some blocks on O noone notices, and maybe make a catch now and then. Can't think of one TE who has EVER jumped on the scene making big plays, or even reasonable ones at his age. Just block dude....please.... :cry:

mission
11-30-2008, 04:33 AM

He hasn't had to go through shit. He was a pampered athlete in high school, driving around to a bunch of AAU games ... those guys make a bunch of cash under the table. I know quite a few and have heard plenty of "sponsor" stories...

His single mom situation is no excuse to act how he does sometimes. I hope he pulls through but enough of the excuses... he doesn't really have any.

Bretsky
11-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Plenty of debate between FInley and Marcellus Bennett before the draft last year.

When Green Bay was picking Brian Brohm and Patrick Lee I was hoping they might grab Bennett. He has looked dam good for Dallas and from what I've heard has shown a very good attitude.

Bennett seemed a bit more fluid in his route running but they were comparable. Bennett is just more grown up IMO.

LL2
11-30-2008, 07:39 AM
I hope Finley can become a stud TE that can stretch the field. Sounds like his attitude has been crappy at times this year, so he probably does need to grow up a little. It benefited Rodgers to come out early and be schooled for a few years and it has helped him.

Noodle
11-30-2008, 11:17 PM

He hasn't had to go through shit. He was a pampered athlete in high school, driving around to a bunch of AAU games ... those guys make a bunch of cash under the table. I know quite a few and have heard plenty of "sponsor" stories...

His single mom situation is no excuse to act how he does sometimes. I hope he pulls through but enough of the excuses... he doesn't really have any.

You're missing the point. I didn't say the kid lived a Dickensian existence.

The point is he grew up without a solid family structure to keep him grounded. A family can keep your head from swelling too much just as it can soften the blows of life's disappointments. That pampering of which you speak did nothing to help the guy mature in to a responsible adult.

Mostly, a family teaches you to think of someone other than yourself, and that's what Mr. Finley is having to learn.

No step the fuck back, Mission, unless you want to have something in common with Plax. 8-)