11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
5 TD drives by the Panthers:

219 yards, 21 plays, 10:22 seconds:

6 plays 42 yards 2:25 time
5 plays 55 yards 3:02
4 plays 17 yards 1:55
4 plays 50 yards 2:33
2 plays 55 yards 0:27

As bad as the kickoff coverage was, twice the defense was given a lead and offered virtually no resistance. The Panthers needed just 6 plays and three minutes to go 105 yards for two TDs.

MJZiggy
11-30-2008, 03:24 PM
There was a defense there today? I thought one of the local high school teams put on Packer unis...

Cheesehead Craig
11-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm fully on the fire Sanders train. It's just painful watching this team.

Patler
11-30-2008, 03:25 PM
This was quite ridiculous.

The Leaper
11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
We have utter incompetance in two aspects of the game...defense and special teams...and much of it can be tied back to the coaching staff's inability to get the young guys up to speed.

McCarthy better fix this in the offseason, or his neck will be a noose pretty quick.

Noodle
11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I think the poor ST play contributed to the poor play of the D. Especially on those 2 last TDs.

It's been a while since I played as a DB, but I remember it being much harder when the Offense started with a short field. I don't know if it's mo, or feeling like as a defensive player you can't just cut loose, or what, but I know this to be true.

gbgary
11-30-2008, 03:28 PM
steve smith running free in a zone coverage is what's ridiculous.

Patler
11-30-2008, 03:29 PM
I think the poor ST play contributed to the poor play of the D. Especially on those 2 last TDs.

It's been a while since I played as a DB, but I remember it being much harder when the Offense started with a short field. I don't know if it's mo, or feeling like as a defensive player you can't just cut loose, or what, but I know this to be true.

But to offer no resistance at all, just because the other team is at midfield?
The kickoff coverage was bad, but the defense was worse.

Brohm
11-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Count me in on the fire Sanders bandwagon. Bump and run team playing zone, you would think we saw enough of that in the prvious games we tried this year and last to NOT DO THAT :O No run defense geez ><

Noodle
11-30-2008, 03:35 PM
I feel your pain, Patler, but I disagree that they offered no resistance. Rather, Steve Smith made two sick catches. The coverage was pretty good, no one quit on the plays, Smith just did what he can do.

But if they're starting at their 20, he's making those catches at our 30. Because of the ST play, he's making those catches at the 5. Big difference.

oregonpackfan
11-30-2008, 03:40 PM

But to offer no resistance at all, just because the other team is at midfield?
The kickoff coverage was bad, but the defense was worse.

The kickoff coverage is horrible when your kicker has to make two touchdown saving tackles in the same game. Well, the first one he did not complete the tackle, be he slowed down the returner enough for a teammate to catch up and make the tackle.

I agree, however, the total defensive performance was very poor.

Rastak
11-30-2008, 03:42 PM
That kick coverage just kills ya. The Vikings have had huge problems in the kick coverage phase of the game but have gotten slightly better the last couple weeks. It's disheartening to give up that kind of field position.

Patler
11-30-2008, 04:07 PM
I feel your pain, Patler, but I disagree that they offered no resistance. Rather, Steve Smith made two sick catches. The coverage was pretty good, no one quit on the plays, Smith just did what he can do.

But if they're starting at their 20, he's making those catches at our 30. Because of the ST play, he's making those catches at the 5. Big difference.

But it was not just those two drives. It was every TD drive this week, a handful of plays, 50 yards, two minutes of time. TD. Last week, too. The defense has given up huge chunks of yardage. On the last two drives:
Where was the help on Smith?
Where was the pressure on Delhomme?

And it hasn't been just the last two weeks. It has happened with regularity all season long. The Packers get a lead and the defense gives it back before the offense even has a chance to sit down.

gbgary
11-30-2008, 04:19 PM

no and it-was-there respectively. he should have been jammed at the line. had he, the pressure was there and would have got him. to me it's a failure of BS and his bs "mix-in some zone" scheme.

denverYooper
11-30-2008, 04:23 PM

But it was not just those two drives. It was every TD drive this week, a handful of plays, 50 yards, two minutes of time. TD. Last week, too. The defense has given up huge chunks of yardage. On the last two drives:

And it hasn't been just the last two weeks. It has happened with regularity all season long. The Packers get a lead and the defense gives it back before the offense even has a chance to sit down.

Yeah. It has happened too many times to say that it's been one guy having an outstanding game. Be it AD, Steve Smith, Drew Brees, etc.

I have no faith in the D coming up with a crucial stop.

b bulldog
11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Give me Kampman, Woodson, Williams, Harris, Collins, and Bigby when healthy and you can have the rest. Our LB's are average and oul DL stinks.

wist43
11-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I thought most of you guys were madly in love with everything TT does??? Can't criticize the defense, or the offense; afterall, TT is a genious.

Harrell looked awesome today, as did Chillar and T. Williams... scheme was brilliant.

Myself? I can't see anything to bitch about.

LL2
11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Losing Jenkins and Barnett is a big part of the problem. I'm sure the Pack would've won 3 out of 4 of those games they lost by 4 points or less if the D had Jenkins and Barnett. The D will still need to improve with better players next year too.

pbmax
11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd happily keep the average linebackers if we could improve the line. Kampman is the only one pushing the pocket and even he does it intermittently. I saw Harrell several times today and each time he was too high and getting pushed backwards.

The only good thing I can think of now, except higher draft choices, is that the games have been mostly close. Which means Rodgers has been facing real time defense. Very little garbage time padding. He looked like a real QB today, pick and all.

Fritz
11-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Anybody know how many games the Packers have lost after having a lead at the end of a game this year?

And Wist, please. I've seen plenty of TT backers criticize some of his moves.

wist43
11-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Just givin em grief...

We're not going to win anything the way we're currently configured, and TT and MM won't change... gotta have some fun with it :)

bobblehead
11-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Not sure if I am alone on this one, but smith clearly pushed woodsen on the last catch. The one announcer said it immediately. Not just the slight elbow extension for space either, he flat out put out his one arm to screen woodsen off, it was the reason woodsen fell.

Patler
11-30-2008, 07:11 PM

Not sure if I am alone on this one, but smith clearly pushed woodsen on the last catch. The one announcer said it immediately. Not just the slight elbow extension for space either, he flat out put out his one arm to screen woodsen off, it was the reason woodsen fell.

With the way Woodson and Harris beat up receivers, and often get away with things, I can't get upset if Smith did do it too.

RashanGary
11-30-2008, 07:17 PM
It is really, really bad. The problems really stem from that DL. If QB's didn't have all day to stand back there, that long developing stuff woudln't be so damn easy to complete.

This is supposed to be a really good year for DL in the draft. I really hope we nail a big stud or at least a couple really good players. We have 5 guys that have no buisness seeing the field playing regular snaps in our rotation. Even Cole is JAG but he's acctually good compared to many of our rotation players.

highlander
11-30-2008, 07:26 PM
86 points in 2 games OUCH !!!!!

RashanGary
11-30-2008, 07:27 PM

2 games that I believe the offense controlled the ball for over half the game. It's fucking pathetic, really. Pathetic. Last year when we had 6 good defensive lineman it was hard to lose. Now that we only have three good ones it's hard to win.

denverYooper
11-30-2008, 07:35 PM

2 games that I believe the offense controlled the ball for over half the game. It's fucking pathetic, really. Pathetic. Last year when we had 6 good defensive lineman it was hard to lose. Now that we only have three good ones it's hard to win.

37:52 to 22:08 today.

32:04 to 27:56 vs. the Saints.

Noodle
11-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes, the D blew, and sorry for harping on the STs, but consider this -- not one of the scoring drives was over 50 yards (I think). They got to play down hill, and that puts a lot of pressure on the D.

Carolina never had to grind one out. We had to go 95 yards for one score. But Carolina played on a 50 yard field.

Fritz
12-01-2008, 07:21 AM

37:52 to 22:08 today.

32:04 to 27:56 vs. the Saints.

Earlier in the season we heard a lot about how the defense was gassed because the offense couldn't control the clock. I even pitched in on that.

Yet you look at the times of possession these last two games, and it comes down to this:

The defense sucks. They've already given up more points this year than they did all of last year. And there are still four games left.

pbmax
12-01-2008, 09:32 AM
It will be interesting to see what T2 does this offseason. D lineman are rarely good value in the draft because every team wants to find them in the first two rounds. So, unlike O lineman, you don't find a ton of worthy candidates in the middle rounds. I don't see him changing his approach and drafting three this year.

His approach means the coaches must improve what they have or coverup holes with the scheme. That isn't happening.

So what is more likely? Forcing a coordinator change or altering draft plans? I also wonder if the Packer coaches or scouts overestimated the talent on hand when they reviewed the season last year?

gbgary
12-01-2008, 11:48 AM
:oops: double post