PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Woodson here?

Guiness
06-30-2006, 11:23 AM
I watch this forum pretty closely, but maybe I missed a thread about this. Has anyone heard anything about why he isn't around, outside of 'personal reasons'?

I dunno. It just comes off as arrogance to me.

woodbuck27
06-30-2006, 11:48 AM
I watch this forum pretty closely, but maybe I missed a thread about this. Has anyone heard anything about why he isn't around, outside of 'personal reasons'?

He's on. . . . . V A C A T I O N !

Getting psyched up. LOL :shock:

Sparkey
06-30-2006, 01:09 PM

Because he doesn't have too be....

If work asks you to work weekends, but you have enough money that you dont need to, would you show up ?

Rastak
06-30-2006, 01:24 PM

Because he doesn't have too be....

If work asks you to work weekends, but you have enough money that you dont need to, would you show up ?

Only if it's understood I ain't movin up if I don't. If the employer doesen't care then yes, I wouldn't go.
If it's a brand new job and you need the training then only a moron wouldn't show up.....unless of course you held enough cards where it didn't matter. Charles knows he holds all the cards here, they certainly can't cut him so he says screw it. I'm sure the Packers are real happy with that too.

All in all he seems like a dedicated guy.

:shock:

woodbuck27
06-30-2006, 03:07 PM
"All in all he seems like a dedicated guy." Rastak

Nice use of sarcasm.

All in all it sucks and is an embarassment :oops: to Ted Thompson, though he'll never admit it.

Too much guranteed money for this fella as I see it. I'm not at all impressed. :mad:

Pack0514
06-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Of course we would all like him to be in GB but I think if he plays well, all will be forgotten. If he doesnt play well, I hope the media is all over his ass like a fat chick at a all-you-can-eat chicken dinner.

CaptainKickass
06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Of course we would all like him to be in GB but I think if he plays well, all will be forgotten. If he doesnt play well, I hope the media is all over his ass like a fat chick at a all-you-can-eat chicken dinner.

Please see my reference to the Buffet ackronym (B.U.F.F.E.T.) in the romper room on the Gates/Buffet thread.

:mrgreen: :D

Pack0514
06-30-2006, 03:50 PM

Please see my reference to the Buffet ackronym (B.U.F.F.E.T.) in the romper room on the Gates/Buffet thread.

:mrgreen: :D

Big
Ugly
Fat
Fuckers
Eating
Together

Thats good stuff..... I didnt even see that. I have not been following that thread because it started off politically.

Good Call though.... Peace Brother :wink:

ahaha
06-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Who really cares if Woodson was at OTA's or not? I think he can figure out his defensive assignments during training camp. He's an established veteran who plays CORNERBACK. Bring him in a week before the season starts, and he'll be fine.

Rastak
06-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Who really cares if Woodson was at OTA's or not? I think he can figure out his defensive assignments during training camp. He's an established veteran who plays CORNERBACK. Bring him in a week before the season starts, and he'll be fine.

Don't let him hear that or that's when you'll see him.

Partial
06-30-2006, 05:04 PM

Well, theres more to it then that (team building, being a leader, etc), but for the most part I agree with you. As long as he's in camp he'll be fine. Mentally he'll be great, its physically that i'm worried about him.

LEWCWA
07-01-2006, 04:22 AM
Football don't start til late July, Man!

Guiness
07-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Exactly Partial,

I'm also sure he'll be fine when it comes time to strap them on - but it would've been nice if he had been around to help the rooks along a bit, etc. Not exactly setting himself up to be a team leader.

I also wonder if Harris would've felt more pressure to show up if he'd been there. I be he thinking that if the guy earning $10mil isn't going to be around, why should I show up for a pidly $3mil?

woodbuck27
07-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Exactly Partial,

I'm also sure he'll be fine when it comes time to strap them on - but it would've been nice if he had been around to help the rooks along a bit, etc. Not exactly setting himself up to be a team leader.

I also wonder if Harris would've felt more pressure to show up if he'd been there. I be he thinking that if the guy earning $10mil isn't going to be around, why should I show up for a pidly $3mil?

I'm thinking that Vince Lombardi is turning over in his grave over this FA we signed to a huge contract, and if he was alive he'd give him, a lotta Vince.

He's acting like a TURD ! He stinks all the way up here in Canada.

This is either a display of supreme arrogance, or he's in hiding for some reason. I don't expect alot from Charles Woodson this season. His absence fr. the entire OTA's is shocking and not acceptable to me as a fan of a team that is dug into a huge hole.

I call it as I see it.

Joemailman
07-01-2006, 10:43 PM
The fact that it is early July is the only reason that Charles Woodson not showing up at voluntary workouts is being discussed. There just isn't much else to talk about. Training camp can't start soon enough. :D

woodbuck27
07-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Al Harris vs. the Packers

You know this simmering saga. In September 2004, the Packers’ standout cornerback signed a five-year, $18.6 million contract extension. In May and June 2006, Harris skipped the voluntary minicamp and organized team activities to protest the contract.

Most of Packers Nation is rightly irked at Harris.

But, put yourself in Harris’ shoes. Only members of Charles Woodson’s immediate family would rank the oft-injured Woodson above the rock-solid Harris in the NFL’s pantheon of cornerbacks, but the Packers gave Woodson a seven-year, $39 million contract to sign as a free agent this past spring.

I don’t know about you, but if I’m a better employee than Joe Blow, I want to be paid more than Joe Blow.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Here is what other Packer fans inform me about Charles Woodson:

Fans discuss Charles Woodson

** How about Charles Woodson? Are any other Packer fans disappointed pretty disappointed in him so far. This is a guy that has a ton to prove and still can't find the time to show up for anything not mandatory.

He's had a few down years and is entering a new defense with a new staff on a team that is looking to rebound from an aweful year. I guess his reputation preceeds him. A lot of talent, not a lot of ambition. Let's just hope the guy can play!

** Charles Woodson got a great contract from Green Bay; I think Green Bay should have done their homework on signing Woodson as I think the fans will be very disappointed in him once the season start.

** It's definitely starting to look that way. I don't know how you give a guy $10 million his first year and he doesn't show up for the basic installation of the new D. at least new D to him. I'm very worried that he got his last big payday and will somehow find a way to not contribute. maybe claim he has a nagging injury or something. very disappointed in Woodson. in fact, I think his obvious disregard for becoming part of the team will necessitate the Packers giving Harris more money to keep him happy.

** You really have to wonder what Woodson is thinking. What a way to thank a team for giving you a big payday when not many teams were standing in line to do so. And as you pointed out, it sends a bad message to Al Harris, who is a better CB than Woodson in my opinion. Harris is in there busting his hump while the Packers pad the bank account of a guy who apparently can't find the motivation to join him.

** I agree it certainly doesnt send the right message to a guy like Harris, who has shown over the past 2 years that he is more deserving than Woodson for that money.

I just can't fathom why he wouldnt want to be here. This does have the early signs of "bust" all over it.

** Preseason training hasn't even begun yet, so it's hard to judge, but, so far, yes I have to agree that Woodson is sending out the wrong signals. If it was just learning the defense, that would be one thing. Our scheme isn't that complicated, and Woodson is a veteran. What puzzles me is that, when he signed, it was with the idea that he would also contribute on offense and special teams as a spot receiver and as a return man. I don't think he would have learned much on defense (or on how to return kicks), but a working knowledge of the offense would make it more likely that he might be thrown out there on occasion.

** I hope if he is used in some kind of gadget play, that he is strictly the diversion. I can't imagine he has better hands, elusiveness or open field vision than any of the Packers WR's or RB's. Maybe this would be a good one -- run a double reverse with Woodson out wide and DD getting the final handoff. I love it when they handoff to DD. Otherwise, just run him on fly routes and throw underneath to DD or Jennings or (dare I say) Fergy. That'll teach him how much fun offense can be :)

** One of the major faults of CW is that he thinks he is the best corner ever and he is so talented that he does'nt have to train or watch gamefilm or work hard as his athleticism and ability will get him out of trouble.

In his first 4 years he had success with this strategy. However a few injuries and years later and being on a worse D proved that this is actually a recipe for disaster.

Major plusses of CW he will step up and stop the run, he is talented and very big for corners (more like safety size) but outwayed by his minuses in her-uge ego , lack of game planning and work ethic. Someone needs to really challange him to step up and lead the Packer secondary not sit back and watch it die like he did with the Raiders.

My main fault with the Packers front office is that they should have known all this when they signed him to a huge contract, which my perception was to keep Favre quiet more than to help the D.

note: The Favre haters will be all over that one,LOL. Brett Favre hoped that the Packers would sign T.O.

** I'm confident that the Pack front office knew all about CW's questionable work ethic and personality. I think they gave him the deal because they had money to burn and did want to appease Brett. I also think the Pack were smart in front-loading the deal because I don't see CW in a Pack uniform for more than a couple years. At least if they do cut him, the cap ramifications aren't horrible. Maybe Al Harris can light a fire under/stick a foot up his over-priced butt.

** Don't get me wrong I was a major fan of Woodson and only soured on him after his franchise years he is a great player to support when he and the team is playing well just don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen overnight.

** As a Michagan and Oakland fan,I have always been a big CW supporter. But even a loyal fan cant stick up for this guy. The only thing he does consistantly is crush your salary cap and be an anti-team player. He is one of the best corners in the game when he's healthy. But he doesnt stay healthy. Maybe Hawk will get in his grill and put some fire under him? I actually hope it works out, but i doubt it will....

** I'm definitely having my doubts too. More than anything, I just want to see him play. If he can skip all the voluntary practices and still be ready for opening day, then I guess it doesn't matter. That's a pretty ideal situation though, and probably won't work out that way.

If things keep going this way, I hope AJ does get in his grill. Then, when CW talks back, AJ can rip his head off and save the Pack $10 million in cap room. lol

** I don't see Woodson as a regular contributor on offense, but I think that one of the factors in his signing is the value he brings as a game-breaker. CW seems to think of himself as a Deion Sanders. He's not in that league, but he is a talented athlete who can change the course of a game with big plays. In college, he terrorized the opposition with his athletic ability on both sides of the ball and on special teams. I would anticipate that his role will often be as a decoy. When he checks into the game, the opposing defense will have to take notice and be prepared for a reverse or for a deep pass. The pressure that puts on the opposing defense will make it easier to complete passes to our other receivers.

** Harris could really help to bring out the best in Woodson. As I said, he thinks he's the second coming of Deion Sanders. That overinflated idea has hurt him. But his ego might be pushed. If he is going to be one of the best defenders in the league, he will have to be the best on his team. Harris has the ability to challenge CW to play at his peak.

** "I'm confident that the Pack front office knew all about CW's questionable work ethic and personality." I'm pretty sure they did
it's been known since he was in college (Michigan) that he never liked practicing.

woodbuck27: Ohhh it's just a case of - "he doesn't like to practise",mmmm. He needs someone to light a long wooden match to his ass, if that's all it is.

MJZiggy
07-03-2006, 06:57 PM
woodbuck27: Ohhh it's just a case of - "he doesn't like to practise",mmmm. He needs someone to light a long wooden match to his ass, if that's all it is.

Make sure when handling those matches you know what he's been eating. Could be dangerous.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 07:16 PM

Make sure when handling those matches you know what he's been eating. Could be dangerous.

I'm 'all over' this bum signing Ziggy.

It's really not impressive to this Packer fan, that we have to deal with his non-chalent ,me-me-me attitude, before we've even seen him try to be a Packer.

I really believe that TT should have exercised alot more diligence when he finally brought in a high priced FA. I agree 100% with Brett Favre and TT's priorities were wrong with all the cash he had to spend.

TT had to get a solid WR of the game breaker variety, as T.O. has proved he is, and make him feel a part of what it means to be a Green Bay Packer.TT should have spent the money he did in Free Agency on C.Woodson more wisely, by going hard after T.O.

Otherwise at least he should have assisted OUR woe's on offence.He should have signed a solid Vet guard.We are in a deep hole on "O", and to improve that aspect of OUR game was 'a no brainer'.

We are going to be really unimpressed with Charles Woodson in the near and distant future. I really feel I'm correct here.

MJZiggy
07-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Happily, if he doesn't perform, we can dump his butt without serious repercussions.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Happily, if he doesn't perform, we can dump his butt without serious repercussions.

He signed with us over 'his near Family situation' in Tampa Bay? What's wrong with that.

Tampa Bay or Green Bay? What did the people there know that we (TT) didn't?

Al Harris can play the - "I'm upset that Aarron Kampman did so well" card but I'm not buying that. It's really about Al Harris and the Woodson signing or he would have started on us returning Aaron Kampman sooner.

We way overspent on Charles Woodson and now we have the discontent of a formerly loyal Packer to deal with.

$10 million guranteed on a 29 year old oft injured player with his ways.

HOLY MACKERAL !