PDA

View Full Version : offensive line

Harlan Huckleby
12-01-2008, 09:51 AM
I thought the offensive line started getting some movement when they replaced Wells with Spitz and put Sitton at guard. Since this is an old axe I have been grinding, my judgement can't be trusted. Did any fair-minded people notice this?

I didn't read the threads yesterday, this may have been beaten to death already, but Clifton could not even slow-down Peppers. In the second half, the packers gave Clifton help.

I suppose the coaches must be correct that playing Clifton is their best option, or as Don Rumsfeld said, "you go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish you had."

ND72
12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
I thought they did better, and I am generally a Wells supporter. My thing this year is I think our best option at LT is Colledge. I wouldn't mind seeing Colledge, Barbre, Spitz, Sitton, Tauscher...but even Tauscher has struggled some this year.

Noodle
12-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Not a lot of commentary on the OL play yesterday, as folks were too busy venting about the shite special teams and defensive play.

This is an old axe, but it amazes me that it's taken the Packers so long to figure out something we've been saying for a long time -- get Wells out of there! Get Sitton reps at G. And make Spitz the C.

I listened to the game on the radio, and the Rock was noticing the same things you were, Blue Dog. He noted that Spitz in particular was doing a good job, as was Colledge, though Sitton had some problems. They clearly didn't get it done on the goal line, but as others have said, formation and play calling didn't give us a chance to excell.

Another thing the Rock pointed out -- Cliffy and Tausch both had problems with run blocking. When running plays broke down, the primary reason was a failure by either Tausch or Cliffy to seal off back-side pursuit or hold the point of attack.

bobblehead
12-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I think I am objective on this. Wells is just good enough to be a starter. I think spitz is the better option, but I didn't really see a huge transformation after the switch was made.

Whereas improvement can be made with this switch, a LOT of our problem this year has been one of my longtime favorites....chad clifton. He got blown up on the goal line AGAIN. His best run block on peppers all day came when peppers quit on the play (Pep don't play the run so great always).

I also have always thought college would be a better tackle than guard, and if we were to lose one more game I would like to see that happen the balance of the season. If clifton is playing like himself he is still one of the top 5 pass blockers in the league. I THINK college will be an above average LT, but only one way to find out.

pbmax
12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Sitton got shoved around a bit, but seemed OK. Jackson clearly had success with these guys, though you wish he would have gotten more touches. The score hurt him here. I think this is two steps closer to the line of the future. I would be happy if it played well together now.

sheepshead
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Its not an old axe for me. The #1 offense line for years running in the NFL has dropped off some. Rodgers his getting more hurries then Favre has in recent years. They seem to open holes here and there.

RashanGary
12-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Sitton seemed to play about equal to Wells. He's a rookie though, so for him to already be as good as Wells says all we need to know. Make the damn switch already. Sitton looks like a keeper and Wells is as good as he'll ever be, that is, not good enough. Also, where Spitz is a very average (but consistent) guard as far as push and power he's a really good center that doesn't need nearly the help that Wells needs to keep the big guys at bay.

If you make the switch now you get an upgrade at center and a downgrade at guard so it's pretty even.

However, going forward, as Sitton gains experience, you get an upgrade at guard and an upgrade at center. This is a matter of replacing a so/so vet with a higher upside rookie. It has to be done as far as I'm concerned.