PDA

View Full Version : Give Jackson the action

MadtownPacker
12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
OK, I have tried to restrain myself from speaking the truth about Ryan "just arm tackle me" Grant but yesterday was proof that a real hombre is needed at RB and that hombre is Brandon "Im getting better and stronger" Jackson.

I have mentioned in other threads that IMO Grant does not break tackles and churn extra yard after contact. Well yesterday just cemented my opinion. Give Jackson his shot cuz I want to see what he has. So far I have seen a guy who doesnt get pushed around by defenders and dishes out the punishment instead of getting thrown around like a rag doll. He has my vote in 2009.

ND72
12-01-2008, 11:45 AM
I've said it, and said it again. Jackson is still raw, but has a HUGE upside. He reads a ton better than Grant, and he's tough to bring down cause of his size & stature. Grant just has not been running this year like he did last year.

RashanGary
12-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I agree. They should split carries. It will keep both of them fresh and strong and really help keep defenses honest when they were otherwise playing purely the pass. I was never a big fan of the Jackson pick but man he's turned into a tough little SOB. He runs hard. He's hard to tackle. Grant runs hard too, he just can't stay on his feet as well as Jackson. It's balance or something, but Jackson always bounces off and keeps on churning.

sheepshead
12-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I think it's high on the off season list. I see a few free agent regrets every year, Micheal Turner is one I wish we would have pulled the trigger on.

Partial
12-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree to split the carries.

MadtownPacker
12-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree to split the carries.Bullshit you jellyfish. Jackson should get them all. The good RBs get better as the game wears on. If the season is truly hosed what is left to lose? Find out what he has and maybe next season he is the starter.

retailguy
12-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree to split the carries.Bullshit you jellyfish. Jackson should get them all. The good RBs get better as the game wears on. If the season is truly hosed what is left to lose? Find out what he has and maybe next season he is the starter.

Lets lock him up... How about a 5 year incentive laden contract, so he only gets paid if he plays....That way, we don't have to wait to see if he was just a "flash in the pan". Wait a minute. We already did that.... :oops:

We should bring back the Samkon Gado club... We could just change the name! We could call it the Grant/Jackson fan club.

Seriously, Jackson ran hard. Don't know if it'll continue, but I was impressed.

edit - I nominate Partial - Jellyfish rat. That's a good one. :wink:

Ballboy
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Its one game. What was he doing earlier in the season when Grant wasn't 100%?

We can all agree that the OL is playing somewhat better and the reason for more rushing yards as evident the past few weeks with Grant.

SkinBasket
12-01-2008, 03:05 PM
i don't like the #1 RB getting 85-90% of the carries in a game. This isn't 1985 anymore. Plenty teams have demonstrated that a 70/30 - 50/50 split keeps the defense guessing on angles, keeps the RBs fresher, and doesn't mean the team is weak at the position.

KYPack
12-01-2008, 03:31 PM
This was MM today at the presser:

"On more opportunities for Brandon Jackson: Ryan Grant's still the starter. Was having trouble holding onto the ball. "We'll see how Ryan progresses this week ... but we have no qualms" about playing Jackson. Week's work will dictate whether Jackson gets more opportunities even with Grant healthy. Grant probably will have to have thumb splinted and wrapped to play."

OK Mad.

You're tossing the party, this is your fantasy.

Partial
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
i don't like the #1 RB getting 85-90% of the carries in a game. This isn't 1985 anymore. Plenty teams have demonstrated that a 70/30 - 50/50 split keeps the defense guessing on angles, keeps the RBs fresher, and doesn't mean the team is weak at the position.

Agreed. I'd like to see 50/50 split, even cross train them for third down to really keep the defense guessing.

I would then think we could successfully pound the ball. Grant can't do it all himself.

Brando19
12-01-2008, 05:23 PM

HAHAHAHA! That caught me off guard.

I agree that B Jack should be the starter. Grant owes the Packers alot of money!

bobblehead
12-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I've said it, and said it again. Jackson is still raw, but has a HUGE upside. He reads a ton better than Grant, and he's tough to bring down cause of his size & stature. Grant just has not been running this year like he did last year.

OK dude, I'm lovin' Jackson this year too, but last year he couldn't find the hole on a $5 hooker. He is reading better than Grant this year, but last year just the opposite was true.

I would split the carries more, let them both play it out and stick with the hot hand any given sunday.

ND72
12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Its one game. What was he doing earlier in the season when Grant wasn't 100%?

We can all agree that the OL is playing somewhat better and the reason for more rushing yards as evident the past few weeks with Grant.

One game? do we remember teh Chicago game when Jackson had like 58 yards on 7 carries? (I guessed)

MadtownPacker
12-01-2008, 09:29 PM

OK dude, I'm lovin' Jackson this year too, but last year he couldn't find the hole on a $5 hooker. He is reading better than Grant this year, but last year just the opposite was true.

I would split the carries more, let them both play it out and stick with the hot hand any given sunday.Last year? Last year?? Exactly what does that have to do with THIS year? Like you tell others dont live in the past.

If you want to find the strength of the team you need to see what the other guys can do. Grant hasnt lit the field on fire rushing the Packers into the playoffs so why not give BJax a chance to show what he has?

Make it 75%-25% in Jackson's favor and you have my support.

bobblehead
12-01-2008, 09:45 PM

I would split the carries more, let them both play it out and stick with the hot hand any given sunday.Last year? Last year?? Exactly what does that have to do with THIS year? Like you tell others dont live in the past.

If you want to find the strength of the team you need to see what the other guys can do. Grant hasnt lit the field on fire rushing the Packers into the playoffs so why not give BJax a chance to show what he has?

Make it 75%-25% in Jackson's favor and you have my support.

Ok, I'll go 60/40, but that is my final offer....think we can get MM on board? I'm basically agreeing with you, but I want to have them openly compete every week. That way no one can argue opponent, lineplay or anything. May the best back win, and may grant get dealt for a 3rd along with his bullshit contract.

GoPackGo
12-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Last year Grant was a huge reason the Pack made it deep in the playoffs. Apparently you guys lost your faith he can do it again? He is the most proven RB on the team. He's faster and more durable than Jackson too. (this weekends thumb injury aside)

3irty1
12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
50/50 seems about right as long as its not 1st half and 2nd half or this week next week. Don't know why they can't share the load. They've both shown that they can be effective.

DonHutson
12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I've said this in another thread, too. Totally agree.

Jackson is a far better receiving threat than Grant. He picks up the blitz better. He's been running harder this year. He looks faster than Grant. Grant might have better instincts, but Jackson is getting to be more patient than he used to be.

Jackson's versatility can keep a defense guessing. Grant will never offer that. I'm fine with splitting carries, but I'd like to see Grant as the change of pace for Jackson.

It might be that neither is a long term answer, but I'm all for starting to figure that out now so we don't have to guess as much in the off-season.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Last year Grant was a huge reason the Pack made it deep in the playoffs. Apparently you guys lost your faith he can do it again? He is the most proven RB on the team. He's faster and more durable than Jackson too. (this weekends thumb injury aside)You talkin about the seattle game where he almost gave it away in the 1st quarter than got bailed out by the passing game or you talking about the NFCC where he just straight up disappeared?

Fritz
12-03-2008, 01:26 PM
My beef with Grant has more to do with his fumbleitis. If he's got a thumb or finger wrapped and splinted, I fear his already fumble-prone hands will be that much worse.

swede
12-03-2008, 03:14 PM
My beef with Grant has more to do with his fumbleitis. If he's got a thumb or finger wrapped and splinted, I fear his already fumble-prone hands will be that much worse.

Antonio Freeman was wearing a cast and caught the ball really well during one December game a long while ago. Perhaps wearing the cast forced him to concentrate on the ball more than he was normally given to do.

Maybe Grant would wrap and squeeze better if he had to play with a club taped to his bad hand.

rbaloha1
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Jackson never goes down on initial contact. Short compact style with choppy steps is a great fit for the zone running scheme. While not having the vision or cutting of RG, Jackson has improved.

1-2 combo similar to the Levens-Bennett combo. The rb position is fine for years to come.

KYPack
12-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I want Jackson's role expanded for entirely different reasons.

Prior to this game, the vast majority of Jackson's game appearances were to run screens. During the broadcast, the announcers said that the Panther safeties had told them they would totally play BJ as a screen man when he came into the game.

There are a lot of adjustments MM must make to his sets and play calling.

That's one of 'em. Run BJ in a variety of calls and situations.

He's a good hand, let him run.

GoPackGo
12-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Last year Grant was a huge reason the Pack made it deep in the playoffs. Apparently you guys lost your faith he can do it again? He is the most proven RB on the team. He's faster and more durable than Jackson too. (this weekends thumb injury aside)You talkin about the seattle game where he almost gave it away in the 1st quarter than got bailed out by the passing game or you talking about the NFCC where he just straight up disappeared?

watch Ryan Grant run for 150 today

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2008, 11:12 AM
they are both playing with injuries.

I expect the healthier guy will get the carries.

bobblehead
12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Last year Grant was a huge reason the Pack made it deep in the playoffs. Apparently you guys lost your faith he can do it again? He is the most proven RB on the team. He's faster and more durable than Jackson too. (this weekends thumb injury aside)

More durable...did you just make that up for fun cuz nothing in history supports your arguement.

bobblehead
12-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I want Jackson's role expanded for entirely different reasons.

Am I a bad person cuz I want Jackson to get the carries so Grant doesn't get his incentives? I mean seriously, I didn't like the crap he and his agent pulled and now its time to "stick it in you" (scene from rounders)

GoPackGo
12-07-2008, 12:00 PM

More durable...did you just make that up for fun cuz nothing in history supports your arguement.

2004 nebraska played 3 games
2005 nebraska played 0 games
2006 nebraska played 8 games
2007 Green Bay played 11 games
2008 missed 1 game so far