packers11
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

packers11
12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
what happens to the Q & A thread? :wink:

cpk1994
12-01-2008, 01:37 PM
So who will be the new punter? Who is even available? This is even dumber than relasing Ryan at the start.

gbpackfan
12-01-2008, 01:41 PM
This should have happen 2 weeks (if not longer) ago.

There isn't one street free agent that could be worse.

Bossman641
12-01-2008, 01:44 PM
I sure hope there is a signing to go along with this release.

arcilite
12-01-2008, 01:44 PM
I think anyone will be an improvement.

maybe Todd Sauerbrun?

packers11
12-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I sure hope there is a signing to go along with this release.

* On making changes this week: "Probably not. We are going to change the punter today" but nothing else. Derrick Frost will be released today. Haven't found his replacement. Matt Flynn will be the holder.

I'll take that as a NO...

cpk1994
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I think anyone will be an improvement.

maybe Todd Sauerbrun?I kill your argument with one name:

BJ Sander.

Partial
12-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Honestly BJ Sander might be an upgrade at this point. I'm sure he's gotten better. Frost is pretty bad..

Sander certainly wouldn't be a step back.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Frost's punting has been absolutely horrendous. I don't even care who they bring in because I believe they could bring in any ex-college or CFL punter and they could do just as below average.

The Packers mainly lost the game yesterday because of horrible special teams and field position.

cpk1994
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Honestly BJ Sander might be an upgrade at this point. I'm sure he's gotten better. Frost is pretty bad..

Sander certainly wouldn't be a step back.Not sure how he can get better when he probably hasn't punted since he was released.

arcilite
12-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Josh Miller is available

Bossman641
12-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Sander certainly wouldn't be a step back.Not sure how he can get better when he probably hasn't punted since he was released.

His leg will be well-rested

sheepshead
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
That sound your hear is Mike Stock printing his resume.

Guiness
12-01-2008, 02:27 PM
wow - I'm surprised.

I guess punters and kickers are the positions you can just pick up off the street and trot out on the field 3 days later. But does it make any sense at all to cut the guy like this?

Seems rash to me, and I have to wonder, unless he's got someone in mind, if Frost (bad as he was) isn't better than whoever dons the G&G this week-end.

sheepshead
12-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Here's Shermys current guy-maybe we can borrow him!

16 Brantly, Justin P 6-3 241 SR-3L Sealy, Texas/Sealy

red
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
yup, they should have announced stock was released too

he's the bigger problem

Merlin
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
We got what we deserve. It was like ordering something from e-Bay based upon a description and a stock photo. Frost looked okay on paper but when McCarthy opened the box, BJ Sander came out...

KYPack
12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Plakemeier?

Releasing a punter when we've got December games ahead?

That's flat out goofy.

Merlin
12-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Does anything surprise you this season or during anytime since Thompson took over?

Patler
12-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Plakemeier?

Releasing a punter when we've got December games ahead?

That's flat out goofy.

Plakemeier is with the Redskins.
The Packers had a couple in for tryouts a few weeks ago. Might be one of those.

Crosby will be on his third holder. Longwell might have had a nervous breakdown if this was done to him in December.

sheepshead
12-01-2008, 04:28 PM
florio:

Well, if the Packers were planning to replace punter Derrick Frost with Aussie Ben Graham, the Pack are (is) too late.

The Cardinals already have signed him.

The team announced moments ago that punter Dirk Johnson has been cut, and that Graham has been signed to take his place.

Of course, this means that the Packers can sign Dirk Johnson, if they so choose.

prsnfoto
12-01-2008, 04:34 PM
On whether regret play calls in goal-line series: Second-down play was one would change if could. Comfortable with third-down call.

This bothers me he is a BAD coach most humans can admit when they make a mistake having no WR's even as decoys is FUCKING insane. Like they are going to ram the ball down anyone's throat with an undersized line when the other team knows it is coming. My buddy said something funny at the pub yesterday he noticed Rodgers looked pissed about that play and noted Favre would have got in the huddle and asked Tauscher if he had ever run a slant pattern before and told him you are gonna right now just catch the ball, fuck coach I think Wells gave him his concussion.

Jimx29
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Get the guy down on the corner making flapjacks

Iron Mike
12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Get the guy down on the corner making flapjacks

Isn't that where Willie and the Poor Boys are playing???

The Leaper
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
yup, they should have announced stock was released too

he's the bigger problem

Yep...the last time I checked, the punter wasn't on kickoff coverage.

MJZiggy
12-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Jan Stenerud...I'm just saying, guy's still got it I bet!

retailguy
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM

He was a kicker, not a punter, but really, it'd probably still work. How about Reggie Roby?

Patler
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Ricky Schmitt. It will be Ricky Schmitt.

KYPack
12-01-2008, 09:01 PM
It will probably be one of these 3 guys:

Durant Brooks Ex- Redskins’ punter was cut in mid-October for poor performance. He's the guy that booted Frost out of a job.

Paul Ernster who had 12 punts as a temporary replacement this season for Pittsburgh’s Mitch Berger

Jeremy Kapino Ex-Jets’ practice squader cut by the Jets in training camp this year.

They will be in for tryouts and the "winner" will be most likely wearing G&G for the Houston game.

We are acting like an expansion team all of a sudden.

Fosco33
12-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Should I email him and see how he's doing - maybe get a scoop on M3/etc?

We should've sent our Q&A a few weeks ago apparently :oops:

Noodle
12-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Whoever they get better have cold-weather experience with a k-ball. Like kicking a friggin manhole cover when the temps are in the 20s. This does not make sense at this point.

red
12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
i think they should force stock to go out and punt. seeings how he knows everything about punting and all

MadtownPacker
12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Screw punting!!! Just go for it every time on 4th down.

Jimx29
12-01-2008, 11:31 PM
^^what he said^^

MadScientist
12-01-2008, 11:51 PM
New Packer mantra: Punting is for Pussies.

mission
12-01-2008, 11:55 PM
New Packer mantra: Punting is for Pussies.

Im with it!

texaspackerbacker
12-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I think Crosby can punt. I don't know about the holder job, though. Maybe he can drop kick field goals.

cpk1994
12-02-2008, 07:13 AM

He was a kicker, not a punter, but really, it'd probably still work. How about Reggie Roby?Umm, Reggie is dead.

Pugger
12-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I would think TT and company are scouring the CFL. Is their regular season over? There has to be somebody up there that can come in and be better than Frost (of course that won't be too hard :wink: ).

KYPack
12-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I would think TT and company are scouring the CFL. Is their regular season over? There has to be somebody up there that can come in and be better than Frost (of course that won't be too hard :wink: ).

The Grey Cup was 11/24

Calgary beat Montreal

Montreal lost it's 5th Grey Cup since 2000.

The NFL & CFL have a brother-in-law type agreement not to sign each other's guys.

We still could probably scarf a punter from one of the poorer teams without too much shit happening.

pbmax
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Crosby will be on his third holder. Longwell might have had a nervous breakdown if this was done to him in December.
:lol:

I like Longwell a lot. Accessible, friendly, seemed a likable person, Applebees, or no.

But I have to admit, there is an upside to a near invisible and quiet kicker!

pbmax
12-02-2008, 11:37 AM
On whether regret play calls in goal-line series: Second-down play was one would change if could. Comfortable with third-down call.

This bothers me he is a BAD coach most humans can admit when they make a mistake having no WR's even as decoys is FUCKING insane. Like they are going to ram the ball down anyone's throat with an undersized line when the other team knows it is coming. My buddy said something funny at the pub yesterday he noticed Rodgers looked pissed about that play and noted Favre would have got in the huddle and asked Tauscher if he had ever run a slant pattern before and told him you are gonna right now just catch the ball, fuck coach I think Wells gave him his concussion.
You mean the same undersized line that had Spitz in for Wells, Sitton in for Spitz and Colledge, the guy who actually moved Pat Williams out of the hole for a goal line rush TD earlier this season? The same undersized line that had averaged 5.0 yards per carry in this game? The same undersized line that is actualy run blocking in the interior better than at the Tackles? That line?

Patler
12-02-2008, 12:05 PM

You mean the same undersized line that had Spitz in for Wells, Sitton in for Spitz and Colledge, the guy who actually moved Pat Williams out of the hole for a goal line rush TD earlier this season? The same undersized line that had averaged 5.0 yards per carry in this game? The same undersized line that is actualy run blocking in the interior better than at the Tackles? That line?

There was an interesting perspective on the 2nd and 3rd down calls in the paper today. Per the Green Bay Press Gazette:

Before those two late runs for no gain, the Packers had only two runs for zero yards or worse. RB Ryan Grant lost 1 when Rodgers’ toss was a little behind him, throwing off the timing and allowing Davis to make a play from the backside. Jackson lost 2 on a second-and-goal zone run when Hall and FB John Kuhn both blocked Diggs, letting Beason run through untouched. Kuhn probably needed to block Beason.

Guiness
12-02-2008, 12:31 PM
It will probably be one of these 3 guys:

Durant Brooks Ex- Redskins’ punter was cut in mid-October for poor performance. He's the guy that booted Frost out of a job.

Ok, that's funny. The guy who beat out Frost is now out of a job - doesn't say much about Frost, does it?

Guiness
12-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Yes, season's over. They have an agreement to not poach the CFL players, but I think there's some sort of a buyout option during the CFL offseason?

Freak Out
12-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Still no punter in GB?

cpk1994
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Still no punter in GB?Today is the players day off. They'll have them in by Wed morning.

Badgerinmaine
12-03-2008, 01:43 AM
This article from the Wisconsin State Journal talks about the punting situation and names the same three punters KYPack did:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/blogs/Packers/316642

KYPack
12-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Two more punters will try-out for the coaches today in GB:

Durant Brooks and Danny Baugher will kick for the coaches today. Brooks, a rookie who was a sixth-round draft pick of the Washington Redskins in April, was scheduled to work out on Tuesday along with free-agent punters Paul Ernster and Jeremy Kapinos, but the Packers decided to split the workouts into two groups.

Ernster and Kapinos have not yet been offered contracts by the team.

Brooks, the winner last season of the Ray Guy award given to the top college punter, beat out Frost during Redskins training camp but was released in mid-October after averaging just 39.6 yards (gross) and 32.1 yards (net).

Baugher spent part of the 2006 season on the New England Patriots’ practice squad and almost won the job in training camp the next season. In three games during the 2007 preseason, Baugher punted nine times and had averages of 44.8 (gross) and 39.0 (net). According to the Boston Globe, he appeared to have the inside track on the job after the team cut veteran Josh Miller. However, the Patriots cut Baugher when veteran Chris Hanson became available.

Danny Baugher sounds like the kind of guy that would be right at home with Johnny Blood and the Packers of old. Baugher was charged with assault and battery the day after the Patriots released him. He was alleged to have assaulted his father in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant at 4 a.m. Baugher was drunk at the time. He stumbled and fell out of the car when arrested by police. He told police that he “was released by the New England Patriots, and he was not handling it very well.” He pleaded not guilty to the charges, but it’s unclear how it was resolved.

Everyone, including Bob McGinn, says our present bunch lacks color and energy, let's sign this guy. Sounds like he's got enough fire in him for our whole ST crew.

While it’s likely the Packers’ next punter will come from the group of four that worked out this week, it’s not a guarantee.

The team could also sign one of the punters they worked out earlier this season. That group included Bay Port High School graduate Ken DeBauche, Ex Pro Bowl choice Scott Player, Zac Atterberry and Waylon Prather.

Partial
12-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Bring on DeBauche. He's a good guy. That's reason enough, right Turtle?

MateoInMex
12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
The Packers are finally De-Frosted. I'm thinking anyone on the Iraqi, Mexican, Brazilian, Italian, Argentinian, Uruguayan, Canadian, American, Jamaican, Dominican, Lichtensteinian, English, Spanish, Irish or Scottish soccer teams have got to have SOMEBODY that can punt a fucking football better than David Frost, BJ Sander, or any other reject that bounces around the league.

KY had some good analysis on scouts' views on punters...and I have come to the conclusion that Punters out of American colleges...suck!!

Before Jon Ryan, the Packers brought in two previous Ray Guy winners!! That award is supposedly for phenomenal punters...and one of em...BJ Sander..didn't even make it through his rookie season!

The Ray Guy award is bullshit and I hope the Packers take the MLB angle and start thinking outside the box regarding QUALITY. When I say quality punters, I want ISO 9000:2001....SIX SIGMA BLACK BELT certified punters that don't give the competition an edge every time they hit the field.

Freak Out
12-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Damn....we bring in the guy that Frost beat out? Ha ha......sign the fighting drunk for fucks sake and get it over with.

Fritz
12-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Damn....we bring in the guy that Frost beat out? Ha ha......sign the fighting drunk for fucks sake and get it over with.

I believe Cincy's got the inside track on the fighting drunk punter.

Freak Out
12-03-2008, 01:18 PM

I believe Cincy's got the inside track on the fighting drunk punter.

I was afraid the Bengals might try and restock their roster with thugs and beat us to it.

Fritz
12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I do like the idea of signing the guy. Don't even have to know his name...just "the fighting drunk."

KYPack
12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I do like the idea of signing the guy. Don't even have to know his name...just "the fighting drunk."

Really.

Let's get this year goin'.

Let's have an achoholic kicker.

Wonder if the NFL would let "the fighting drunk" put 'Drunk' on his jersey?

(I love the line, “was released by the New England Patriots, and he was not handling it very well.” We can see that, pal.)

Freak Out
12-03-2008, 04:58 PM
He's Packer people.....get it done TT.

KYPack
12-03-2008, 05:50 PM
ESPN (and Ras) report the Pack signed Jeremy Kapinos to a contract.

He's the punter.

Buncha thread killers!