PDA

View Full Version : An interesting read.....

Erock
12-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey guys,

I don't post a ton here, but read often and I came across this link and thought it was interesting. Enjoy!

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/forums/t/66455.aspx

Spaulding
12-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Nice post - interesting read. Guess I don't mind the approach as I approve the professional take and the fact that they still display enough emotion and excitement in my eyes.

Partial
12-01-2008, 05:14 PM
That was a really good read. It's very interesting, and somewhat true. I remember McCarthy's original press conference and he was a firey guy. Where did that go?!? It seems to me like that has been replaced with with the "Turtle" demeanor.

denverYooper
12-02-2008, 09:07 AM
That seems like the Patriots model.

TheCheese
12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
That seems like the Patriots model.

I was just about to say that, you're exactly right that has been the Patriot "way of life" for years and you have seen the success it has brought them.

The bottom line is, things just haven't bounced our way like last year. It's just one of those things we must endure till it gets better.

Partial
12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
What? Bill Belichich is a firey guy, and he is willing to bring in questionable characters if it gets him a victory.

The Pats are full of vocal leaders like Harrison, Brueski, Moss, Brady, etc.

They're also a primarily veteran team.

How do we compare at all?

Noodle
12-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Partial is right. That LB corps with the Pats if full of guys with lots of personality and fire. And the Pats didn't shy away from taking on Mr. Bad Guy Randy Moss.

Yet we have people on this board, and no doubt in team management, who worry about bringing in a guy like Haynesworth, a legit NFL MVP candidate.

Don't get me wrong -- I thought it was cool as hell the way Jennings flipped the ball to the official after scoring on that quick post. This is not about on-field Ocho-Cinco crap.

It's about having some guys who've been around a little and who are willing to say what's what. These people do not emerge the season after they were picked in the fourth round.

We need to get old and nasty!

texaspackerbacker
12-02-2008, 11:54 PM
I hated most of the crap I read from McGinn before I ever started posting in JSOnline--more than a few years ago now. This little gem of misinformation and bullshit typifies what he writes.

I'll just ask, first of all, would anybody here rather have Ray Lewis-type players rather than Greg Jennings-type players?

13-3 last year to 5-7 so far this year; The key question is: Was last year an aberration achieved mainly by luck? Or is this year the aberration--resulting mainly from a lot of bad luck?

Having lost four out of the seven by 4 points or less tends to say bad luck this year, although I recall a few close games the Packers won last year too.

My position is that the McCarthy way--Thompson and Murphy way also--is the Packer way going back to Holmgren and even Lombardi.

I don't want "nasty older" players; I don't want loud mouth bad attitude players. I want the Packers to basically "stay the course". Cerebral coaching is the way to go. "Leadership" among players is overrated, and having some kind of a rah rah coach is grossly overrated.

You do need a coach who combines relating to the players with good team discipline. It seems like McCarthy has fallen off in that area a little bit--if the bunch of penalties is any indication. I think/hope he is the kind of guy who can make the minor adjustments that are necessary--and NOT screw up everything by departing from the "Packer Way" and getting more like some in this thread are whining for.

Patler
12-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Yet we have people on this board, and no doubt in team management, who worry about bringing in a guy like Haynesworth, a legit NFL MVP candidate.

I will accept that as directed to me, since I was the one who raised the major concern in the Haynesworth thread. The problem is that you are seeing only black and white, whereas a deal for Haynesworth falls completely in the gray area.

Of course there should be a level of concern with signing Haynesworth. With his history it would be irresponsible not to have concern. That does not mean that I would be against the Packers signing him, I only meant to point out that safeguards would be needed. To ignore his history just because he is playing very well is, well, foolish. Giving him a huge contract and having him blow up in his fourth episode would set the team back.

I actually stayed out of the Haynesworth thread until some started to liken signing him to the signing of Reggie White. In my opinion that is ridiculous because White's contributions were so much more than his performance on the field. There is no evidence that Haynesworth offers anything more than what you see on Sunday. For that reason, I jumped into the thread.

MJZiggy
12-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Partial is right. That LB corps with the Pats if full of guys with lots of personality and fire. And the Pats didn't shy away from taking on Mr. Bad Guy Randy Moss.

Don't get me wrong -- I thought it was cool as hell the way Jennings flipped the ball to the official after scoring on that quick post. This is not about on-field Ocho-Cinco crap.

It's about having some guys who've been around a little and who are willing to say what's what. These people do not emerge the season after they were picked in the fourth round.

The Pats team is full of high priced fiery folks NOW, but recall the SB years for them. That team was full of guys you never heard of. Recall how shocked you were at them signing Moss because it was so unlike what they'd done previously.

Fritz
12-03-2008, 07:05 AM
WWJD? What Would Jesus Do?

Jesus hung around with low lifes - free agent castoffs and arrogant, unwanted position players (like tax collectors andlepers). He took them in, and made them better men, gave them purpose and unleashed their drive. They may not have been the most talented or beloved, but he molded them into winners.

If Haynesworth is playing for a pay day, like Shaun Rogers was a couple of years ago for the Lions, then fuggettabotit. But if he was real desire not to play for a winner but to be a winner, then he's a risk worth calling to.

Tarlam!
12-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Fritz, if you're seriously comparing Jesus with TT, we need to talk.

KYPack
12-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Most of you see a legit article on the present Packer ballclub lacking fire and leadership.

I don't.

I see a lazy reporter pissing and moaning about having to do his job. McGinn is longing for the old days when stories were falling in his lap like so many golden apples.

Times change and so does the way we have to do our work.

Get off your ass and be creative, Bob.

The days of sidling up to LeRoy, Fritz, or one of the coaches for an easy story is over. This present bunch of staff, coaches, and players will make you work for your supper, Bobby.

Zip your lip (or keep your fingers off the keys) and get to it.

cpk1994
12-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Most of you see a legit article on the present Packer ballclub lacking fire and leadership.

I don't.

I see a lazy reporter pissing and moaning about having to do his job. McGinn is longing for the old days when stories were falling in his lap like so many golden apples.

Times change and so does the way we have to do our work.

Get off your ass and be creative, Bob.

The days of sidling up to LeRoy, Fritz, or one of the coaches for an easy story is over. This present bunch of staff, coaches, and players will make you work for your supper, Bobby.

Zip your lip (or keep your fingers off the keys) and get to it.I think he was trying to be creative as this falls under"Making up a story when there is none".

pbmax
12-03-2008, 10:17 AM
What? Bill Belichich is a firey guy, and he is willing to bring in questionable characters if it gets him a victory.

The Pats are full of vocal leaders like Harrison, Brueski, Moss, Brady, etc.

They're also a primarily veteran team.

How do we compare at all?
Because publicly, the GM (Pioli) and the coach (you know who) are as bland as vanilla pudding. But that doesn't hurt them on the field.

I doubt McCarthy is doing an Ari Fleischer impersonation in practice. Someone got to Clifton and has him practicing even when other players (Woodson) still get the week off. You have to have some juevos to pull that off.

And two, we did sign Koren Robinson. And Barnett is not a quiet guy.

And three, this entire article is ridiculous. The team is not an emotional function of the GM. Who do the Colts play like, Dungy or Polian? Do the Eagles play like Andy Reid feels? Is Parcells good because he's mean, or because he can find good players and coaches who fit his system? Does the Bears defense play like Jerry Angelo feels?

Dumb article from a usually bright guy.

pbmax
12-03-2008, 10:20 AM
C'mon Tar, the silver hair does give him a beatific air, doesn't it? :lol:

Partial
12-03-2008, 10:24 AM

The Pats team is full of high priced fiery folks NOW, but recall the SB years for them. That team was full of guys you never heard of. Recall how shocked you were at them signing Moss because it was so unlike what they'd done previously.

They had the firey guys then. Moss was odd since he was a trouble maker. They had Bruschi, Law, Harrison, white linebacker, etc.

3irty1
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM

They had the firey guys then. Moss was odd since he was a trouble maker. They had Bruschi, Law, Harrison, white linebacker, etc.

Yes they did. The Patriots are where "firey" personalities go to die. Recall Their trouble safety Brandon Meriwether who had serious character concerns coming into the league but since he was drafted a Pat nobody has heard a peep. Those are the types of guys they had on their SB teams and still today.

3irty1
12-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't think the trade off is leadership for attitude. Favre always had a great attitude but what he did differently is that he lived his life in the public eye exactly like NFL players aren't supposed to. Even the fans feel like they know him personally. When you get to Favre's level you can't help but be a leader. Whenever a Packer player was interviewed while Favre was a Packer the questions would almost always be about Favre. Its unrealistic to ever be able to replace that kind of leadership.

Fritz
12-03-2008, 01:02 PM

I'm just saying people need to try to be like Jesus. I'm saying TT needs to think like Jesus.

Here's another example. Lots of people on this thread are calling for more "fire" from the coach. But you gotta know when to be cool and when to blow up. Like Jesus. He only ever got crazy once in a while, like when he threw around the tax collectors' tables in the temple.

So he didn't go Denny Green very often, but when he did, it was effective.

LP
12-03-2008, 01:14 PM

Funny, that's exactly what I thought when I read it.

Fritz
12-03-2008, 01:23 PM
This thread lacks fire and reflects the cool, measured approach of its author.

Where's Tank? Sign that guy!