PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy into the 2012 'theory'

packers11
12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
The History channel ran a program about it how all these prophecies, bible codes, and civilizations pointed out as 2012 as 'Doomsday'...

I am pretty skeptical, but some of the stuff people predicted were downright scary/accurate...

Thoughts?

the_idle_threat
12-01-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm buying guns and relaoding materials now ... just in case.

MadScientist
12-02-2008, 12:33 AM
The History channel ran a program about it how all these prophecies, bible codes, and civilizations pointed out as 2012 as 'Doomsday'...

I am pretty skeptical, but some of the stuff people predicted were downright scary/accurate...

Thoughts?
I remember the Mayan ones better than the others, but they fit in the category of: in year x vague bad shit will happen, and in year x, some bad shit happened that could fit the vague description. They also showed 2-3 years like that, out of the thousand they had to work with.

texaspackerbacker
12-02-2008, 12:52 AM
There was a thread about 8 or 9 months ago about this--predictions based on shaky Biblical references that the final 3 1/2 years before the Second Coming were to begin in April or something like that. Most of what the guy claimed with certainty would begin to happen in April has not even come close to occurring.

Other than the election of Obama, there haven't been any cataclysms.

Tarlam!
12-02-2008, 01:44 AM
erik von däniken is an infamous swiss esoteric that has studied the Mayas, the Pyramids etc. Unfortunately, there is no Wiki page in English.

Anyway, he interprets the 2012 date as being the time the aliens will return. He has some pretty creative evidence to support his claims.

Certainly makes for an interesting discussion. Anyway, I won't care too much if the salary cap gets scrapped.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
This is the calendar that has been from way back yet ends in 2012.

TPB - I also noticed this will be the last year of Obama presidency.

http://jedigobind.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/mayan_calendar.gif

Cheesehead Craig
12-02-2008, 12:04 PM
What about Y2K? I thought that was the bad year.

We hear this constantly about the end of days and these people look more and more foolish all the time.

Patler
12-02-2008, 12:59 PM
The good thing is, if 2012 is the end, maybe my retirement account will be enough even with the market performance this year! :lol:

Freak Out
12-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I've just consulted with my local priests and shamans and the world will end this Thursday at 6:56 AM Alaska Standard time.

retailguy
12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I've just consulted with my local priests and shamans and the world will end this Thursday at 6:56 AM Alaska Standard time.

Hmm. That's like 11:00 AM CST. You think you could get'em to move it back a few hours so I don't have to go to work that day?

Thanks in advance.

Cheesehead Craig
12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Alaska time? Does that mean that Sarah Palin can see the end of the world from her house?

Freak Out
12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Alaska time? Does that mean that Sarah Palin can see the end of the world from her house?

We are definitely close to the end of the world up here. We can see it from our islands....we can see the Russians as well....Putin and Medvedev are dancing the Sabre dance naked at the moment.

BallHawk
12-02-2008, 06:24 PM
TPB - I also noticed this will be the last year of Obama's first term.

Fixed.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
The Mayans didn't say 2012 was doomsday.

retailguy
12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
TPB - I also noticed this will be the last year of Obama's first term.

Fixed.

You're a confident little fucker.

retailguy
12-02-2008, 06:45 PM

How do you know? Did you ask them?

Tyrone Bigguns
12-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Why don't you find where they did.

retailguy
12-02-2008, 06:49 PM

Because I don't care. I just love it when you go all "black and white", and eliminate the "shades of grey".

Tyrone Bigguns
12-02-2008, 06:52 PM

Because I don't care. I just love it when you go all "black and white", and eliminate the "shades of grey".

Life is mostly gray, however, there are certain facts that are black or white.

retailguy
12-02-2008, 06:53 PM

But, only as viewed through your eyes.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-02-2008, 07:17 PM

But, only as viewed through your eyes.

Right. I guess when you do your financial calculations they are "shades of grey."

Again, find where they said doomsday. But, as usual you would prefer to act like an ass.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Again, find where they said doomsday. But, as usual you would prefer to act like an ass.And as usual you are already an ass to begin with. Maybe you are right that they didnt say that is it but the calendar finishes there and that is all I was saying. Since you are questioning what I said first I am asking if you can please help a stupid commoner such as me out.

Can you show me where they didnt say it was the end? I got plans and this being incorrect might mess them up.

MJZiggy
12-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Maybe they got to 2012 and then discovered football? Or the internet or something?

texaspackerbacker
12-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Tyrone may actually have blundered into something (I hope he wiped it off his shoe).

Did the Mayans actually SAY--or write--that 2012 was "The End"? Or did did their calendar merely not continue beyond that point? If there are even any Mayans still around< I doubt they would have the answer.

Back in the seventies, I had 1996 pegged as "The End"--the end of the human age and the beginning of Christ's Millenial Kingdom. This 2012 thing is based on much shakier evidence and references than 1996.

The thread I referred to earlier was about Ronald Weinland. He also speculated about the 2012 thing. I was not impressed with his references though. If his scenario was accurate, major natural and manmade disasters should have been occurring for over six months now. No, this trumped up economic pseudo-crisis doesn't qualify--nor does the Mumbai terrorism.

For Bible-believing Christians, at some point, there really is going to be a period of tumult before the prophesied good times. I don't see this as the time, though.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Again, find where they said doomsday. But, as usual you would prefer to act like an ass.And as usual you are already an ass to begin with. Maybe you are right that they didnt say that is it but the calendar finishes there and that is all I was saying. Since you are questioning what I said first I am asking if you can please help a stupid commoner such as me out.

Can you show me where they didnt say it was the end? I got plans and this being incorrect might mess them up.

WTF are you talking about? I didn't refer to your post. I commented on the term "doomsday." It isn't all about you. Your narcissism is frightening.

But, if you need some education on the subject, not a problem. The Mayan's had SEVERAL calendars.

Is it doomsday when you reach the end of this year's calendar? No. And, the same for them. It just starts over.

P.S. Nobody wastes time disproving a negative.

MadtownPacker
12-04-2008, 11:01 AM
WTF are you talking about? I didn't refer to your post. I commented on the term "doomsday." It isn't all about you. Your narcissism is frightening.

But, if you need some education on the subject, not a problem. The Mayan's had SEVERAL calendars.

Is it doomsday when you reach the end of this year's calendar? No. And, the same for them. It just starts over.

P.S. Nobody wastes time disproving a negative.I put up the calendar and that was what you where responding about no? If not my bad but you are talking alot of shit considering you are the biggest know-it-all attention whore on the web.

Did they have several? Never heard that. Where they like the one I posted and did they end when the last one started? I seriously want to know.

BTW - Dont act ignorant. THe Mayan calendar wasnt a one year thing so comparing it to our modern calendars is BS.

P.S. You dont ant to waste time proving something you dont know shit about. Stick to shit you studied cuz we all being wrong really pisses you off.

Tarlam!
12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
The Mayan's had SEVERAL calendars.

I thought I had a decent education, but this is the first I've heard about a culture, any culture, having more than one calendar.

Please, enlighten me. I sincerely wish to know more.

Zool
12-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Tarlam head to www.wikipedia.com and get the same answers.

Tarlam!
12-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Tarlam head to www.wikipedia.com and get the same answers.

And, what am I searching for, Zool?

Zool
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Anything. Wiki knows all.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-05-2008, 03:41 PM
The Mayan's had SEVERAL calendars.

I thought I had a decent education, but this is the first I've heard about a culture, any culture, having more than one calendar.

Please, enlighten me. I sincerely wish to know more.

Off the top of my head i know they had the long count calendar..which is the one that is being discussed here, they had a year calendar..the kind that is used for day to day, month to month stuff (planting, harvesting, etc.) and they had a religious calendar.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-05-2008, 03:45 PM

P.S. Nobody wastes time disproving a negative.I put up the calendar and that was what you where responding about no? If not my bad but you are talking alot of shit considering you are the biggest know-it-all attention whore on the web.

Did they have several? Never heard that. Where they like the one I posted and did they end when the last one started? I seriously want to know.

BTW - Dont act ignorant. THe Mayan calendar wasnt a one year thing so comparing it to our modern calendars is BS.

P.S. You dont ant to waste time proving something you dont know shit about. Stick to shit you studied cuz we all being wrong really pisses you off.

Again, all i commented on was the word doomsday. At no point will you find anything from the mayans that talks about doomsday.

Calendar: answered in response to Tarlam.

ONe year: They did have a year to year calendar. :oops:

P.S.: Please have someone translate that for you. It appears to be in english but it doesn't make any sense. Putting random english words together doesn't make a sentence.

oregonpackfan
12-06-2008, 12:05 AM
The day the world comes to an end is when the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl!

By that standard, we should be around for quite a few centuries.... :)

MadScientist
12-06-2008, 11:29 AM
The day the world comes to an end is when the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl!

By that standard, we should be around for quite a few centuries.... :)
No, that's only half the doomsday calendar. The true end comes when the Lions win the SB the same year the Cubs win the Series. By the time this happens, the earth should no longer be habitable anyway.

gex
12-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Does anyone else find it completely vain when people and religious folk talk about the end of times during their lifetime. Hardly ever hear them say "the world is coming to an end in 1200 years", why's it always gotta be happening now? :wink:

texaspackerbacker
12-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Does anyone else find it completely vain when people and religious folk talk about the end of times during their lifetime. Hardly ever hear them say "the world is coming to an end in 1200 years", why's it always gotta be happening now? :wink:

It's more than that, gex. The Judeo-Christian idea of 6,000 years of human self-rule before Christ's Millenial Kingdom, the Muslim thing about the 12th Imam, and several other religious countdowns are all coming together.

Add that to the increase in population, the advances in weaponry, etc., and the end times talk is reasonable, or at very least, understandable.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-09-2008, 09:39 PM

It's more than that, gex. The Judeo-Christian idea of 6,000 years of human self-rule before Christ's Millenial Kingdom, the Muslim thing about the 12th Imam, and several other religious countdowns are all coming together.

Really? Judeo Christian? Please, i beg you, stop showing your ignorance in regards to Judeo.

texaspackerbacker
12-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Really? Judeo Christian? Please, i beg you, stop showing your ignorance in regards to Judeo.

The Jews are expecting the "Messiah", and the same Old Testament prophecies that Christians cite are applicable to Jews--basically expecting the SAME Messiah the first time as we Christians expect to return.

Do you have some contradictory Judaism teachings in mind? If so, let's hear them.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-10-2008, 04:10 PM

The Jews are expecting the "Messiah", and the same Old Testament prophecies that Christians cite are applicable to Jews--basically expecting the SAME Messiah the first time as we Christians expect to return.

Do you have some contradictory Judaism teachings in mind? If so, let's hear them.

No, you idiot. I'm referring to the 6,000 years. Your lack of knowledge regarding dates is hilarious.

texaspackerbacker
12-10-2008, 10:42 PM

No, you idiot. I'm referring to the 6,000 years. Your lack of knowledge regarding dates is hilarious.

I don't know what your referring to--and as usual, I don't suppose you have the balls to spell it out, but I'm referring to the six days of Genesis and the statement that "a day is as a thousand years"--six days followed by a day of rest/six thousand years of human self-rule followed by the thousand year Millenial Kingdom. Feel free not to believe it--I would expect nothing else from the likes of you, but you can't deny the existence of the concept--among Jews as well as Christians.

MJZiggy
12-11-2008, 06:37 AM
Just a question, but haven't humans been ruling the earth for 30,000 years now?

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Just a question, but haven't humans been ruling the earth for 30,000 years now?

We could go around and around on a discussion about that, and I'd be very happy to do it.

For purpose of this thread, though, I'm talking about the prevailing belief of the majority of literalist Christians and Jews. You may not be a believer, but the large-scale existence of the belief is undeniable.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-12-2008, 04:05 PM

I don't know what your referring to--and as usual, I don't suppose you have the balls to spell it out, but I'm referring to the six days of Genesis and the statement that "a day is as a thousand years"--six days followed by a day of rest/six thousand years of human self-rule followed by the thousand year Millenial Kingdom. Feel free not to believe it--I would expect nothing else from the likes of you, but you can't deny the existence of the concept--among Jews as well as Christians.

As usual, you can't get over your own biases.

Whose calendar are you using. That is about as big a hint as i can give you.

texaspackerbacker
12-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Are you Jewish--or somehow an expert on Judaism?

It's true, there's a discrepancy of about 243 years in the Jewish calculation back to Adam compared to Ussher, the guy who added it all up for Christians. Who knows, maybe the Jews have it right--since Christ didn't return in 1996 or 2000. The point is, though, both religions recognize the concept of 6,000 years of human self-rule, symbolized by the 6 days of creation, followed by the 1,000 year millenial kingdom, symbolized by the Sabbath.

The original question was, why do so many people think those end times are right around now? By the Christian calculation, it is around now. By the Jewish calculation, it's still a couple hundred years away.

I'd be shocked if you claimed to be a believer in either one.