PDA

View Full Version : Charles Woodson... To stay at SS?

packers11
12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
www.rotoworld.com

The Packers were reportedly impressed by Charles Woodson's performance at strong safety Sunday, which became necessary with Atari Bigby and Aaron Rouse both injured.

"He was outstanding," secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said. "He caused a fumble, he played with great anticipation and he made some good tackles." It sounds like the Packers coaches might keep him there Week 14.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Cheesehead Craig
12-02-2008, 11:57 AM
They may not have a choice given the injuries. Hell, even if Rouse was healthy I'd put Woodson back there. Rouse has just been a major disappointment this season.

sharpe1027
12-02-2008, 12:13 PM
They may not have a choice given the injuries. Hell, even if Rouse was healthy I'd put Woodson back there. Rouse has just been a major disappointment this season.

Rouse looked slow and stiff out there. I have to agree. I do miss Bigby's big hits. Since he is out, I agree that they should put their best players on the field and that means Woodson at Saftey.

LEWCWA
12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I really hope not. I wasn't impressed. They are really hurting at saftey. None of them are healthy. CW is our big play corner and that is where he belongs. They just need to get bigby, rouse and collins healthy.....

red
12-02-2008, 02:03 PM

Rouse looked slow and stiff out there. I have to agree. I do miss Bigby's big hits. Since he is out, I agree that they should put their best players on the field and that means Woodson at Saftey.

bigby only had 2 or 3 big hits

and they all came last year. we aren't missing him this year

sharpe1027
12-02-2008, 06:03 PM
bigby only had 2 or 3 big hits

and they all came last year. we aren't missing him this year

I don't know about that. Compared to Peprah and Rouse, I think we are missing him. You might have an argument that Woodson is as good (too soon to tell), but Bigbyp was pretty solid all around.

MJZiggy
12-02-2008, 06:09 PM
I'd bet that they're leaking how good they thought he was so he'd be willing to do it for another week...

And don't forget, the combination of Bigby/Collins brought an energy to the defense that's been missing lately. There's something to be said for that.

gbgary
12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
yup, vanilla bob said yesterday that he's gonna be there the rest of the year. go to packers.com and click on video and than on bob's mug to hear him.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I dont like this move and he is gonna end up getting hurt.

Noodle
12-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I'd bet that they're leaking how good they thought he was so he'd be willing to do it for another week...

Damn, good call Zigs, this makes some sense.

I like Bigby, but I'm starting to worry that he has bad injury luck. I think he's tough as nails, but when bad luck strikes, there's not much you can do.

I also agree with Mad that Woodson's body will likely break if he has to do the things a safety does. And he did get beat (with the help of offensive PI) on the long Smith completion.

So I'm not a fan of this. But I dig Zigs being able to sniff out the PR BS.

texaspackerbacker
12-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Other than the pure necessity of the move, this says more about Tramon Williams than anything else.

In the Packers defensive scheme, a cover corner is more important than a safety. This move would not and could not be made if the coaching staff wasn't confident that Williams could at least come close to playing corner at Woodson's level.