PDA

View Full Version : The Vikings defensive tackles? Who??

TennesseePackerBacker
12-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I was hoping a Viking fan could shed some more light on this, but anyone will do really. I'm curious, with the division coming down to 4 games, the best run defense in the conference(and the strength of their d) it is now nonexistant, or is it?

The players ESPN has listed on the depth chart are, Ellis Wyms, Fred Evans, and Letroy Guion. Wyms is an 8 year untested vet, Evans is a 3 year undrafted untest player, and Guion is a first year man.

The question is, can any of these guys play? I'm curious, someone please enlighten me and the rest of us.

bobblehead
12-03-2008, 08:23 PM
I have to believe this is good for us no matter who they are.

On a side note I heard they are filing an emergency injunction against the NFL on the issue, so who knows, they might have a few games left before they get suspended for real.

HarveyWallbangers
12-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Kevin Williams and Pat Williams--since a Minnesota (surprise?) judge ruled in their favor today.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Kevin Williams and Pat Williams--since a Minnesota (surprise?) judge ruled in their favor today.

That injuction just lets them go to practice and such, as of right now, Evans and Wyms are the starters.

Rastak
12-03-2008, 08:59 PM

That injuction just lets them go to practice and such, as of right now, Evans and Wyms are the starters.

Wrong.

They are reinstated fully until the next hearing. Where did you get that practice thing? If the judge sides with the players in the next hearing they will likely be on the field for the rest of the year.

To answer your question though, Evans and Wyms have both played pretty well as backups. Pat Williams doesn't play as many downs as he used to so they've been getting some snaps. There may be a big dropoff but they haven't been stiffs. Guion is a 21 year old rookie that hasn't played much and is a bit dinged up. They just signed DT bust Jimmy Kennedy.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-03-2008, 09:16 PM

Wrong.

They are reinstated fully until the next hearing. Where did you get that practice thing? If the judge sides with the players in the next hearing they will likely be on the field for the rest of the year.

To answer your question though, Evans and Wyms have both played pretty well as backups. Pat Williams doesn't play as many downs as he used to so they've been getting some snaps. There may be a big dropoff but they haven't been stiffs. Guion is a 21 year old rookie that hasn't played much and is a bit dinged up. They just signed DT bust Jimmy Kennedy.

Just what I read while surfing news about this today, if i'm wrong I apologize, I'd look for said article but I'm playing poker right now.

edit: found this snipit on ESPN, the article I read had this and said they'd also be allowed to attend practice. ESPN says their status remains uncertain

"They'll get back and get their playbooks and start focusing on Detroit," their attorney, Peter Ginsberg, said following the hearing.

Rastak
12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
If the hearing ends up being before Sunday and the judge lifts the restraining order on the NFL then you'll be right.

Enjoy the poker game!

bobblehead
12-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Is this a joke? A judge stepped in and told the NFL what to do? Next thing you know judges will be ruling that cripples can use a golf cart on the PGA tour. Personally I think that whole speed thing is an unfair advantage. God handicapped me by making me slow and small. All NFL players should have to put lead in their shoes until they are as slow as me.

Lurker64
12-04-2008, 01:56 PM
The funny thing is that you can get a temporary restraining order for virtually anything. The NFL could come back and get a TRO against the Williamses, preventing them from being able to attend any NFL events. I don't know if Goodell is quite that cheeky though.

mngolf19
12-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Also was hoping that Robison would be available but he is out likely a week or two. He has provided very nice push when he has played. These guys are good enough for Det, maybe AZ, but after that it becomes a bigger problem. Unless the NFLPA is sure they can get this at least pushed into next season, I would have preferred the boys take their punishment right away to be back for a potential playoff run.

Fritz
12-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Is this a joke? A judge stepped in and told the NFL what to do? Next thing you know judges will be ruling that cripples can use a golf cart on the PGA tour. Personally I think that whole speed thing is an unfair advantage. God handicapped me by making me slow and small. All NFL players should have to put lead in their shoes until they are as slow as me.

The great Kurt Vonnegut wrote an excellent short story imagining just such a scenario. The name of the story is Harrison Bergeron."

denverYooper
12-06-2008, 07:39 PM

The great Kurt Vonnegut wrote an excellent short story imagining just such a scenario. The name of the story is Harrison Bergeron."

It's in "Welcome to the Monkey House" isn't it?