PDA

View Full Version : The NFL sure follows it's rules

Rastak
12-04-2008, 07:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3744126

When it suits them. I had to chuckle on this one. The Steelers are being purchased by two of the Rooney brothers from the others. The NFL black and white rules require 30% ownership by one person. I guess the NFL is pretending they're one.

the decision to consolidate the Steelers' ownership came about for a number of reasons. The current ownership structure violated NFL ownership rules, which stipulate that a controlling partner must own at least 30 percent of the club; some of the Rooney brothers have stakes in racetracks that now allow slot machines, another violation of NFL policy; and members of the family wanted to sell their shares in the interest of financial and estate planning.

The NFL will allow Dan Rooney and Art Rooney II to count as one for the 30 percent requirement. The two have been working to assemble investors to buy out their four brothers, according to the report.

Brando19
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the NFL suspending the Williams' for finding illegal substances in their body, suspending them, then saying they could play. :wink:

Just joking, Ras...I know it was a judge's ruling.

pbmax
12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I think Art II is the son of Dan. And I think one brother other than Dan will hold on to a piece of the team, the rest of the family is selling to Dan/Art II. Perhaps there is an actuarial exception to counting as a person, since Dan is not a spring chicken. :lol:

BlueBrewer
12-05-2008, 08:17 AM

When it suits them. I had to chuckle on this one. The Steelers are being purchased by two of the Rooney brothers from the others. The NFL black and white rules require 30% ownership by one person. I guess the NFL is pretending they're one.

the decision to consolidate the Steelers' ownership came about for a number of reasons. The current ownership structure violated NFL ownership rules, which stipulate that a controlling partner must own at least 30 percent of the club; some of the Rooney brothers have stakes in racetracks that now allow slot machines, another violation of NFL policy; and members of the family wanted to sell their shares in the interest of financial and estate planning.

The NFL will allow Dan Rooney and Art Rooney II to count as one for the 30 percent requirement. The two have been working to assemble investors to buy out their four brothers, according to the report.

Who owns 30% of the Packers?

sharpe1027
12-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Green Bay Packer, Inc.= 100% Or some company name close to that I think.

Rastak
12-05-2008, 11:10 AM

Another good example. The rule clearly states one person must own 30% but then it's only selectively enforced.

denverYooper
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM

Another good example. The rule clearly states one person must own 30% but then it's only selectively enforced.

I think they were grandfathered in.

Rastak
12-05-2008, 11:38 AM

I think they were grandfathered in.

Yea, I knew that but it would have ruined my point. :wink:

The Steelers aren't though!

CaliforniaCheez
12-05-2008, 02:19 PM
The Steeleers have been a good stable franchise and their ownership structure predates the current NFL rule just as the Packers does.

There is no need to push for a change.

The politics of it is the Rooneys have always supported the league and haven't "rocked the boat".

They get to let things slide a bit because they are good NFL citizens. It is one of the privileges of having built a good reputation.

The Steelers are one of the top five franchises for ratings and following. You don't mess with one of the best franchises.

I would like to think the Packers can have some special treatment when needed too.

Rastak
12-05-2008, 09:33 PM
The Steeleers have been a good stable franchise and their ownership structure predates the current NFL rule just as the Packers does.

The politics of it is the Rooneys have always supported the league and haven't "rocked the boat".

They get to let things slide a bit because they are good NFL citizens. It is one of the privileges of having built a good reputation.

The Steelers are one of the top five franchises for ratings and following. You don't mess with one of the best franchises.

I would like to think the Packers can have some special treatment when needed too.

Their father predates the Packers not this current sale. The Packers are grandfathered in as mentioned. If the NFL wants to make lots of exceptions then who the fying fuck are the rules for? For whomever they think they should apply?

This is a change of ownership and it does show the NFL, as much as I love it, does whatever the hell it wants.

Guiness
12-06-2008, 02:51 PM

Their father predates the Packers not this current sale. The Packers are grandfathered in as mentioned. If the NFL wants to make lots of exceptions then who the fying fuck are the rules for? For whomever they think they should apply?

This is a change of ownership and it does show the NFL, as much as I love it, does whatever the hell it wants.

My guess would be that the Rooney's are also grandfathered, and that this sale does somewhat consolidate the ownership. Moving it closer to the NFL rules, so the league is happy with that, in their view it's an improvement.