PDA

View Full Version : Favorite announcers

RashanGary
12-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I like Jaws and Rich Gannon off the top of my head (Jaws the most). Both seem to do a great job breaking down the decision making process for a QB. I'm finally starting to understand QB play thanks, in part, to the tidbits announcers like them give.

I also like Strahan on Fox for a pregame guy.

Cheesehead Craig
12-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Dan Fouts is fantastic and I wish he'd get a full time announcing gig. Too bad he got lumped in with the Dennis Miller fiasco on MNF.

oregonpackfan
12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Dan Fouts is fantastic and I wish he'd get a full time announcing gig. Too bad he got lumped in with the Dennis Miller fiasco on MNF.

For college games, I always liked the pair of Keith Jackson doing the play-by-play with Dan Fouts as the expert "color man." Their skills complimented each other very well.

I have watched a couple of games where Fouts is doing the play-by-play. He is not as fluid in that role. His strength lies in being the analyst, IMO.

BTW, Fouts keeps his permanent home in Sisters, Oregon. It is a very scenic community in Oregon's Cascade mountains. If I had the financial assets, I wouldn't mind living there myself.

Fritz
12-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Curt Gowdy.

POLISHHAWK
12-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Paul McGwire... He makes me laugh just looking at him....

Best Ever? Jerry Glanville

sheepshead
12-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Ray Scott, John Madden, Pat Summerall, Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, John Facenda

oregonpackfan
12-05-2008, 11:12 AM

My favorite Packers announcer is Ray Scott, who covered the Packer games during the Lombardi glory years. He had a very succinct style of broadcasting. He used a limited number of words and sentences to describe the action of TV, leaving it to the viewers to see the totality of the action.

I remember one particular play where Bart Starr threw a bomb to receiver Boyd Dowler for a touchdown pass. Scott described it as "Starr back to pass...this is Dowler...touchdown!"

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article refers to the sportscaster. For other people named Ray Scott, see Ray Scott.

Ray Scott (1920, in Johnstown, Pennsylvania – March 23, 1998, in Minneapolis, Minnesota), was an American sportscaster, best known for his broadcasts for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League.

Scott began his broadcasting career on local radio in the late 1930s. His first NFL broadcasts came in 1953 over the DuMont Television Network; three years later he began doing Packers broadcasts for CBS, and it was in Green Bay that his terse style of play-by-play developed its greatest following.

Scott was also the lead television and radio announcer for Major League Baseball's Minnesota Twins from 1961 to 1966, calling the 1965 World Series on NBC television.

As the Packers' announcer, Scott broadcast Super Bowl I and II for CBS, along with the infamous "Ice Bowl" championship game of 1967. In 1968, CBS ended its practice of assigning dedicated announcing crews to particular teams, and Scott was appointed to the network's lead NFL crew, teaming with Paul Christman (1968-69) and Pat Summerall (1970-74). During his tenure with CBS he called four Super Bowls and nine NFL (later NFC) championship games.

CBS fired Scott in 1974, replacing him with Summerall (who had been paired with Scott as a color commentator). He was subsequently employed by a number of NFL and MLB teams (including the Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Milwaukee Brewers, and Pittsburgh Pirates), and was play-by-play announcer for the USFL's Arizona Wranglers in 1983 and 1984 and the Portland Breakers in the 1985 season. Scott also broadcast college football, college basketball, and golf at various points in his career. He also teamed with Patrick Ryan while doing high school and college football in and around Billings, Montana.

Scott was twice named National Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association, and was given regional awards by that organization 12 times in four different states. In 2000, he was posthumously given the Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award by the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Scott's bare-bones style has inspired many sportscasters.

channtheman
12-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I've always had a place in my heart for John Madden and Al Micheals on MNF. They still do their gig on SNF but it doesn't seem the same on sundays.

I also am liking the MNF crew this year more and more. Granted I still don't think they are that good but at the start of the year I couldn't even stomach Kornheiser and now he's been growing on me. And I've always like Jaws and his in depth play sequences where he breaks down everything that had to happen just right to work. Those are always really cool to see.

packinpatland
12-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Are you saying this with a straight face? :shock:

packinpatland
12-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Home games....................Max

POLISHHAWK
12-05-2008, 11:53 AM

Are you saying this with a straight face? :shock:

Actually; Yes.

Jerry Glanville was hilarious to listen to.

Also, ESPN'S biggest mistake was breaking up the guys they had for Sunday Night Football (Thiesman, McGwire, Patrick?) MNF announcers SUCK BIGTIME!

sheepshead
12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Scott and Facenda only on tape for me by the way! 8-)

I dont know if you can beat Madden and Summerall back in the day.

sheepshead
12-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Heres some Facenda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmiVYFueNvQ

not really an announcer I know--i couldnt find any Scott

MacCool606
12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
How about Merlin Olsen and Dick Engberg - used to be the lead team for AFC games on NBC.

sheepshead
12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i40P-2z12Z8&feature=PlayList&p=F225C2D002A86204&index=0

Here's Scott. ( watch Ray put on a school on how to wrap guys up too)

Gunakor
12-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Joe Buck. Doesn't matter too much who they pair up with him, because he's the best play by play guy in the business IMO. They could do far worse than Aikman to pair with him, as Aikman is a great color guy IMO.

As far as pregame/postgame shows, I'd like the NFL network crew best if they'd only get rid of Rich Eisen. I like Deion Sanders and Emmitt Smith. Not too partial to Marshall Faulk, but he's tolerable. Rich Eisen is garbage though. I like Fox NFL Sunday, but Terry Bradshaw goes off the deep end too often. Frank Caliendo makes it worth watching still. I don't care for the CBS crew too much, although Shannon Sharpe can be very funny at times. Bob Costas is a joke, as is the entire Football Night in America program on ABC on Sunday nights.

I miss Inside the NFL. I don't get to see it anymore now that they've moved it from HBO to Showtime. That one was always fun to watch.

Redbelly
12-05-2008, 01:02 PM
From 1973 until they retired - I grew up listening to Jim Irwin and Max McGee. Way down here in mid Illinois I spent my Sundays carrying around my radio - trying to find a place where I could pick up a very weak signal -

Listening to Jim and Max call the game through all the crackling and popping and fading signal made for some fond memories - even though the teams were so crappy

One game in paticular - the Packers made a late season run under Bart Starr - if they'd beat the Jets on the last day of the season - they were going to the playoffs - unforntunatley Joe Kleco owned Mark Koncar and Lynn Dickey never had a chance. At the loss Jim Irwin talked about what a great run it was and that the Packers weren't even supposed to be there - tried to make us all feel better - it didn't work - but it was nice attempt

I supposed there were/are better - but I just loved listening to Jim and Max

By the way - to pick up that Jets game - I had to set on my back porch under an umbrella - in a cold freezing rain - I froze - how sick is that

Cheesehead Craig
12-05-2008, 01:48 PM

For college games, I always liked the pair of Keith Jackson doing the play-by-play with Dan Fouts as the expert "color man." Their skills complimented each other very well.

I have watched a couple of games where Fouts is doing the play-by-play. He is not as fluid in that role. His strength lies in being the analyst, IMO.

BTW, Fouts keeps his permanent home in Sisters, Oregon. It is a very scenic community in Oregon's Cascade mountains. If I had the financial assets, I wouldn't mind living there myself.
Fouts is at his best at color/analyst. He points the big keys to plays out so quickly and clearly. He and Jackson were gold together.

DonHutson
12-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I couldn't stand Aikman as a player, and I suspect I wouldn't like him as a person, but I have to admit he's a great color commentator. Joe Buck is a pompous twerp, and I truly can't stand the guy.

I'm a little surprised by all the Dan Fouts love, only because I thought I was the only person who appreciated him. He's great.

Al Micheals is the best in the business right now. And it's hard to dislike Madden.

Keith Jackson was the best ever. Greatest voice for football there could ever be.

I'm happy Ron Pitts has made a nice little career for himself. He's not great, but he's very solid.

On the radio side, Jim and Max were the best. I never liked McCarren ever since he stiffed me for an autograph when I was like 8 years old. He was just walking across the parking lot with nothing better to do. I never liked him as a local sports anchor either. However, he does a great job on the radio broadcasts. Nobody is better at describing the nuances of the play on the line of scrimmage.

sheepshead
12-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03La-4pcR9o

oregonpackfan
12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
From 1973 until they retired - I grew up listening to Jim Irwin and Max McGee. Way down here in mid Illinois I spent my Sundays carrying around my radio - trying to find a place where I could pick up a very weak signal -

Listening to Jim and Max call the game through all the crackling and popping and fading signal made for some fond memories - even though the teams were so crappy

I agree that Jim Erwin and Max McGee were very good radio announcers. Erwin had that enthusiastic, homeristic, glass "half-full" type of outlook.

McGee tended to call things the way he saw them but his humor was second to none. It was entertaining just to listen to his commentary.

gbgary
12-05-2008, 03:22 PM

those are all good especially the great Ray Scott.

3rd and inches from the Packer 40...Starr...to Dowler...touchdown!!

johm madden has become a little tiresome the last few years though. pat summerall was best, imo, early on when he was with tom brookshire. troy's been better than i thought he'd be. he and joe buck are good.

the worst team was dick enburg and merlin olson. oh my!

TheCheese
12-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Joe Buck. Doesn't matter too much who they pair up with him, because he's the best play by play guy in the business IMO. They could do far worse than Aikman to pair with him, as Aikman is a great color guy IMO.

As far as pregame/postgame shows, I'd like the NFL network crew best if they'd only get rid of Rich Eisen. I like Deion Sanders and Emmitt Smith. Not too partial to Marshall Faulk, but he's tolerable. Rich Eisen is garbage though. I like Fox NFL Sunday, but Terry Bradshaw goes off the deep end too often. Frank Caliendo makes it worth watching still. I don't care for the CBS crew too much, although Shannon Sharpe can be very funny at times. Bob Costas is a joke, as is the entire Football Night in America program on ABC on Sunday nights.

I miss Inside the NFL. I don't get to see it anymore now that they've moved it from HBO to Showtime. That one was always fun to watch.

Now what the hell is wrong with Rich Eisen?

sheepshead
12-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Good Thread by the way.

(oh my :lol: )

texaspackerbacker
12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm glad to see so much love in here for Ray Scott. I thought most in here wouldn't even be old enough to remember him. Lindsey Nelson was good back in the day also.

I used to dislike John Madden, but the respect he has displayed for Vince Lombardi has won me over to him.

I don't have much regard for any of the modern guys. Al Michaels is good in a bland and normal way, but practically all of the ex-players get away with talking out of their ass and apparently getting paid for it.

The guy I was really hoping to hear as a commentator this season?

None other than Brett Favre. It will be a shame if he becomes a back-stabber of his old team like damned Aikman.

Gunakor
12-05-2008, 04:39 PM

Now what the hell is wrong with Rich Eisen?

It's like he's trying too hard to look cool on TV. It always seems to me like he's trying to be like Deion in front of the camera. You know, witty, funny, energetic, etc. Except he's not. He's a dull talking head, without a funny or witty bone in his body. And he looks and sounds stupid when he tries to be something else IMO. If he'd just stick to football without trying to be "cool" all the time, maybe he'd be tolerable too.

CaptainKickass
12-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Deion is an asshat.

Kornhieser (or Kornholer as we like to make fun of people) shouldn't be allowed to speak to anyone ...ever.

I pretty much hate the entire ESPN MNF crew.

The only time I actually listen to the in game announcers is when Madden is on. He has the most insane and retarded way of pointing out the ultra-obvious. Here's a quote from after a game in which Favre had one of his 4th quarter comebacks. Favre dropped back in the pocket, scrambled left avoiding pressure and makes one of those "toss up" throws and a packer comes down with it putting them in FG range.

Madden says this:

"My.......That Brett Favre........He is a football player......and this is a game!"

He also loves to say things like "the only way to score a touchdown is to get the ball into the endzone. And the only way to do that is to either run the ball, or pass the ball."

Al Michaels wins - only because he's the lesser of all that sucks in sports broadcasting.

retailguy
12-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Howard Cosell

Bretsky
12-05-2008, 06:20 PM

I miss HBO's Inside the NFL

Honestly, Showtimes sucks. They have new guys and are nowhere near as analytical or entertaining as the HBO Crew.

The show is crap now IMO

KYPack
12-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Honestly, Showtimes sucks. They have new guys and are nowhere near as analytical or entertaining as the HBO Crew.

The show is crap now IMO

Get Showtime, you two weasels.

Seriously boys, the show content isn't at the HBO level, but it's still NFL Films footage. It's the show the pros watch to see those great highlights, far superior to anything the networks or NFL's own channel churn out.

Bretsky
12-05-2008, 06:27 PM

The show is crap now IMO

Get Showtime, you two weasels.

Seriously boys, the show content isn't at the HBO level, but it's still NFL Films footage. It's the show the pros watch to see those great highlights, far superior to anything the networks or NFL's own channel churn out.

Yo

I have showtime

I watched the show twice this year; still think it sucks

NFL Networks coverage is infinitely superior

KYPack
12-05-2008, 06:47 PM
OK B-man.

The show is the highlights and they are the best in broadcasting.

You just miss Nick Buoniconti.

Back OT.

Ray Scott was the greatest.

"Now we set the Packers on defense, Aldridge, Jordan, Kostelnic, and Davis up front, Caffey, Nitschke, and Robinson at linebacker, Jeter, Brown, Wood and Adderley in the secondary"

Boom, he'd cover all the players on both teams before the first quarter was over. It took me forever to get the lineup on Sunday.

I was shocked when Ray took that gig with Tampa in '76. He was the last guy that should've had to cover that sorry ass team.

I miss that guy, for sure.

The Shadow
12-05-2008, 08:25 PM

I agree that Jim Erwin and Max McGee were very good radio announcers. Erwin had that enthusiastic, homeristic, glass "half-full" type of outlook.

McGee tended to call things the way he saw them but his humor was second to none. It was entertaining just to listen to his commentary.

I thought Erwin & McGee were dreadful. It was a happy day for me when Wayne came on board.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Vern Lunquist is probably my favorite right now. As for of all time, it has to be John Ward, voice of the vols. The I doubt a lot of people have heard him, he retired in 1998.

Badgerinmaine
12-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm glad to see so much love in here for Ray Scott. I thought most in here wouldn't even be old enough to remember him. Lindsey Nelson was good back in the day also.

And his jackets were good and loud. :-)

http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/images/nelson.jpg

He was very good, actually. Ray Scott was good, if a touch bland (other than the dramatic moments one hears on tape of big highlights). I'd prefere Jim Irwin to him or to Wayne Larrivee. I do like the old school announcers that were relatively relaxed and let the game flow to them. Nelson was good at that. Enberg is now. I don't have much patience for Joe Buck or Al Michaels; they're smart, but feel the need to hit you over the head with it, not unlike Tim McCarver broadcasting baseball. They both just plain rub me the wrong way. I like some of the old lineman type broadcasters as color men, esp. Dan Dierdorf (though Tony Siragusa is just babbling half the time). Larry McCarren is good in that way also.

Badgerinmaine
12-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Ray Scott was the greatest.

"Now we set the Packers on defense, Aldridge, Jordan, Kostelnic, and Davis up front, Caffey, Nitschke, and Robinson at linebacker, Jeter, Brown, Wood and Adderley in the secondary"

Boom, he'd cover all the players on both teams before the first quarter was over. It took me forever to get the lineup on Sunday.

I was shocked when Ray took that gig with Tampa in '76. He was the last guy that should've had to cover that sorry ass team.

Didn't he broadcast the Vikings for a while, too?

Packerarcher
12-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Jim and Max nuff said.

Fritz
12-06-2008, 07:48 AM

And his jackets were good and loud. :-)

http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/images/nelson.jpg

He was very good, actually. Ray Scott was good, if a touch bland (other than the dramatic moments one hears on tape of big highlights). I'd prefere Jim Irwin to him or to Wayne Larrivee. I do like the old school announcers that were relatively relaxed and let the game flow to them. Nelson was good at that. Enberg is now. I don't have much patience for Joe Buck or Al Michaels; they're smart, but feel the need to hit you over the head with it, not unlike Tim McCarver broadcasting baseball. They both just plain rub me the wrong way. I like some of the old lineman type broadcasters as color men, esp. Dan Dierdorf (though Tony Siragusa is just babbling half the time). Larry McCarren is good in that way also.

Badger, you speak truth to powere here, man. You've nailed the whole announcer scene and how its changed for the worse.

By the way, on that old Ray Nitschke footage - how I miss the old end zones painted in diamonds.

MJZiggy
12-06-2008, 08:28 AM
The diamonds are better than the stripes?

sheepshead
12-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Its Jim Irwin by the way. I dont have showtime either. I watched inside the NFL for years, since the early 90's. great show. I really miss it.

Fritz
12-06-2008, 09:02 AM
The stripes were also cool. Definitely.

MJZiggy
12-06-2008, 09:11 AM
They are using the stripes now. The Packers are old school.
8-)

sheepshead
12-06-2008, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HOZg5kHA9s

Madden Favre?

RashanGary
12-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Good Thread by the way.

Haha. Of all of the football topics on this site you usually just pop in to insult someone or bitch about the irrelevancy of hte topic. Now we start talking about these vein, self absorbed announcers who's job is to "talk about the sport" not acctually compete in it and you're in heaven.

I think we found your thing, sheep. Maybe you should spend your time at a journelists forum. YOu're passion obvioulsy lies far from football. Note to you: your shitty insults and attitude toward people who talk about their passion here won't be missed.

sheepshead
12-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Good Thread by the way.

Haha. Of all of the football topics on this site you usually just pop in to insult someone or bitch about the irrelevancy of hte topic. Now we start talking about these vein, self absorbed announcers who's job is to "talk about the sport" not acctually compete in it and you're in heaven.

I think we found your thing, sheep. Maybe you should spend your time at a journelists forum. YOu're passion obvioulsy lies far from football. Note to you: your shitty insults and attitude toward people who talk about their passion here won't be missed.

You'd have more impact if you had the grammar, spelling and sentence structure to rival a 6th grader. Otherwise, this just looks like somebody is a little thin skinned when their ideas come into question.

Iron Mike
12-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Favorite annoucer?? Rodger Kent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzusRc9fWgY)

texaspackerbacker
12-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I suppose not many will agree, but I think Brent Musburger does a good job in a competent low key way.

oregonpackfan
12-07-2008, 12:02 AM
I suppose not many will agree, but I think Brent Musburger does a good job in a competent low key way.

I forgot about Brent. Yes, I think he is also a very good sports announcer.

SnakeLH2006
12-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Currently..it's easy, the MNF crew....Turico, Jaws, and even Kornheiser on occasion is ok. But I love seeing KShawn, Ditka, etc. on the pregame....always entertaining...used to be Fox easy as the pregame is great with Strahan now, but the gametime dudes are boring/lame. I wish Collinsworth still did games, as the best announcers are doing pregame now. I have no fav...as they all suck other than Aikman, and Harlan....and damn Stuart Scott and Steve Young are great too, too bad Emmitt Smith's retardation takes over most of the postgame talk. That dude should be fired STAT.....how does that dude bring NEthing to the show? Emmitt just pisses off Steve (who is quite smart and insightful, yet Emmitt's dumb comments dominate EVERY week, yet still is allowed to talk??? Why??...unfortunately it's kinda like the CPK version of MNF postgame. :shock: 8-)

sheepshead
12-07-2008, 07:54 AM

I forgot about Brent. Yes, I think he is also a very good sports announcer.

I like Brent too, I met him once at the Senior Bar in South Bend. Also met Jim Irwin on the Michigan Av bridge here and once in Vegas when the Badgers played out there the first time--ahhh the memories.

MateoInMex
12-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Does it have to be an announcer in Pro Football? If not, Vin Scully is so good at what he does, he calls Dodger games solo.

I like Matt Versagian who will call an occasional Packer game here and there. Many may remember him as the TV voice of the MKE Brewers before he came back out to the Left Coast to handle Padre games. He brings humor to the mic....

Badgerinmaine
12-07-2008, 08:09 PM

I'd at least partly agree. Brent has a real sense for history making big games and has covered so many of them over the years. He has a fine voice and knows how to use it well. He is capable of being a bit too cutesy at times, though. I remember when the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl was the national title game several years ago and it seemed like he couldn't go 20 minutes without saying "they'll be playing for allllllll the Tostitos". He can be a bit full of himself, too, but he's a true old pro.