PDA

View Full Version : Official Texans vs Packers Gameday Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

jmbarnes101
12-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Ain't over 'til it's over.

The fat lady is singing. You must not hear her yet.

Cheesehead Craig
12-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I can't wait for the official review by Pierera...
Won't mean a damn thing.

imscott72
I'm glad this season is over. TT needs to be held responsible for not adequately staffing the defensive line. Totally unacceptable.

Badgerinmaine
Another week, another weak-assed loss.

Were not even getting blown out, we just can't stop anyone when we truly need to.
That's exactly it, and that's exactly the problem.

Packgator
FUCK YOU McCarthy.

????

Gunakor
Won't mean a damn thing.

I know, but I might feel a little better if the league acknowledges it fucked up and this game rightfully should have gone the other way.

dissident94
...and now it's over.
Good God, this defense is an embarrassment.

Offense is horrible too. Lets not forget how many chances we had for our offense to score and just could not do it

digitaldean
12-07-2008, 03:11 PM

Don't worry, we'll get the OFFICIAL letter of apology from the league this week.

Still doesn't matter, yes , you are going to have blown calls, but you DO NOT give up almost 70 freakin' yards with less than 2 minutes to go in a game. Worst case scenario should have been OT.

Freak Out
Swiss cheese fondue at Lambeau today. Sad to lose to the Texans at home.

]{ilr]3
Vanilla Bob who couldnt organize an effective blitz to save his life should be fired today along with the weak ass ST Coach. What a joke! :evil:

Brohm
Another week, another weak-assed loss.

Were not even getting blown out, we just can't stop anyone when we truly need to.

Which to me, means the other teams can turn it on when they need to and we can't.

I mean, this team collected 4 TO, 21 points off the turnovers and still lost at home by 3.

BallHawk
I've never seen a team march from the 2 all the way down and kick a field goal with such ease, cause last week it was a TD!

Yes, damn you McCarthy. Why can't you cover a WR or stop Matt Schaub from throwing for 400 yards? Damn, you Mike. Learn to play some defense you prick.

channtheman
I'm glad this season is over. TT needs to be held responsible for not adequately staffing the defensive line. Totally unacceptable.

At least now we can just say "fuck it" and not care like most of the players right? I mean most of the players don't seem to care about losing so why do we care so much? Lose the rest of your damn games so you can get a better draft now.

Fosco33
12-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Things to watch for:
- Will Schaub be able to play effectively on a bum knee on the frozen tundra (daytime high in the teens)?
- Can the Packers stop rookie RB Steve Slaton (preseason I was hoping to see Ahman again - but that got put on the shelf long ago)?
- Will we see any hustle, energy, life - from the team or the crowd?
- Will our kickoff coverage continue to be porous?
- How will the new punter emerge - if he shanks one, does the crowd boo?
- Will Mario get after ARod after coming off a 3 sack performance against the Jags?
- Will Jackson get the action?

Green Bay (on paper) is only marginally better than the Texans. If the squad comes out flat after last week's tough loss, I could see this team packing it up for next year...

Yes
No
No
No
Good besides first shank
No
No

Team was flat - and packed up their gear before play started.

Gonna be a long off season.

Major changes are needed.

channtheman
I've never seen a team march from the 2 all the way down and kick a field goal with such ease, cause last week it was a TD!

Yes, damn you McCarthy. Why can't you cover a WR or stop Matt Schaub from throwing for 400 yards? Damn, you Mike. Learn to play some defense you prick.

Yeah I edited that post because after I typed it I realized MM didn't really do much to complain about this game. I just saw him on the TV and instinctively made that post. :oops:

GBRulz
FIRE TT :lol:

Rastak
12-07-2008, 03:13 PM
It's final

Bears 23 Jax 10

Cheesehead Craig
12-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Won't mean a damn thing.

I know, but I might feel a little better if the league acknowledges it fucked up and this game rightfully should have gone the other way.

We get 3 more turnovers then they do and we can't win. I think the correct team won today.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
It's final

Bears 23 Jax 10

I hope we lose to the Lions last game in Lambeau. That would be priceless. Congrats on your Vikings Ras. Let's at least hope they represent the North well. Hopefully no suspension until next year. At least then it would help the Packers!

Brohm
12-07-2008, 03:17 PM
It's all strategery!

We are setting ourselves up for a good draft pick and a weak schedule next year for a SB run....

:cry:

imscott72
Won't mean a damn thing.

We get 3 more turnovers then they do and we can't win. I think the correct team won today.

That's just sick. At this point the only thing I would keep on this team for next year is the QB, WR's, Kampy, Mason, and that new punter. The rest of the team sucks! Get Stock and Sanders the F out of town now..

Freak Out
It's final

Bears 23 Jax 10

I hope we lose to the Lions last game in Lambeau. That would be priceless. Congrats on your Vikings Ras. Let's at least hope they represent the North well. Hopefully no suspension until next year. At least then it would help the Packers!

Traitor.

digitaldean
M3 can say all he frickin' wants about having to clean things up.

He should start by kicking his own ass by not motivating his team to play today.

Lose TWO WINNABLE games at home when you needed them the most is inexcusable. Yes, the D talent this year SUCKS. Offense couldn't close the deal when they had the chance to get the go-ahead FG while the Texans did.

What would be more fitting for this shitty season than to lose the final home game to the Kitties to stop their perfect season?

Gunakor
Won't mean a damn thing.

We got 3 more turnovers than they did and should have won. It wasn't a subtle hold on Kampy in the endzone to start that drive, it was blatant and vicious. Had it been called it would have resulted in a safety and Green Bay would have gotten the ball back up by 2 points and less than 2 minutes left. That would have been correctly called, and thus the correct team would have won. As is, Green Bay should feel cheated. They played sloppy, but Houston played sloppy too. Green Bay should have won.

jmbarnes101
12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Won't mean a damn thing.

That's just sick. At this point the only thing I would keep on this team for next year is the QB, WR's, Kampy, Mason, and that new punter. The rest of the team sucks! Get Stock and Sanders the F out of town now..

I'd add Woodson, Harris, and Collins to your list as well. The three of them can play though they're always put in bad spots by our crappy D and their even crappier D coordinator.

MOBB DEEP
12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Ain't over 'til it's over.

The fat lady is singing. You must not hear her yet.

yeah, her voice is hoarse from singing SO loudly today....

DAYUM....from 13-3 to this debacle...

imscott72
12-07-2008, 03:20 PM

He should start by kicking his own ass by not motivating his team to play today.

Lose TWO WINNABLE games at home when you needed them the most is inexcusable. Yes, the D talent this year SUCKS. Offense couldn't close the deal when they had the chance to get the go-ahead FG while the Texans did.

What would be more fitting for this shitty season than to lose the final home game to the Kitties to stop their perfect season?

I refuse to blame the offense on this one. They were moving the ball very nicely until that phantom holding call crippled the drive. That took a 1st down away and gave us a 2nd and 20. Killed the drive. The offense did their job, the defense totally caved again.

Brohm

Yeah, it's a bit late to "clean things up." As Kampman said a few weeks ago: "You are who you are at this stage of the season."

Hopefully they will put together a better off-season/training camp to "FOCUS ON THE FUNDAMENTALS"

Packnut

At least now we can just say "fuck it" and not care like most of the players right? I mean most of the players don't seem to care about losing so why do we care so much? Lose the rest of your damn games so you can get a better draft now.

They cared last season now did'nt they? Brett Favre was the heart and soul of this team. Some of you can play the denial game all you want. You can make excuse after excuse until you say it enough times to believe it. Yeah, Sanders and his high school defense sucks. Yes McCarthy is a horrible play caller. But in the end, Favre inspired and made guys play better for what-ever the reason. He brought an enthusiasm that has been missing this season. Facts don't lie, NFC championship to missing the play-offs. Argue all ya want, but deep down we all know what is different this season.........

imscott72
12-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Won't mean a damn thing.

I'd add Woodson, Harris, and Collins to your list as well. The three of them can play though they're always put in bad spots by our crappy D and their even crappier D coordinator.

Yeah thought about them, but I'm so pissed I just couldn't add anyone from the defense right now.. :(

Fosco33
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I have a headache. Can't take anymore of this shit.
Pack has lost 5 of last 6 games. Pathetic.

Watch them lose on the road to a bad Jags team. Then get a beat down by the Bears on the road. Then lose at home to an 0-15 Lions team. :oops:

That's limping into the offseason. As much as M3 may be the guy - someone needs to get their ass handed a pink slip to match the lace underwear - whether Sanders, Stock, Shitenheimer, M3, Philbin or all of the above.

cpk1994

They cared last season now did'nt they? Brett Favre was the heart and soul of this team. Some of you can play the denial game all you want. You can make excuse after excuse until you say it enough times to believe it. Yeah, Sanders and his high school defense sucks. Yes McCarthy is a horrible play caller. But in the end, Favre inspired and made guys play better for what-ever the reason. He brought an enthusiasm that has been missing this season. Facts don't lie, NFC championship to missing the play-offs. Argue all ya want, but deep down we all know what is different this season......... :bs2:

arcilite

They cared last season now did'nt they? Brett Favre was the heart and soul of this team. Some of you can play the denial game all you want. You can make excuse after excuse until you say it enough times to believe it. Yeah, Sanders and his high school defense sucks. Yes McCarthy is a horrible play caller. But in the end, Favre inspired and made guys play better for what-ever the reason. He brought an enthusiasm that has been missing this season. Facts don't lie, NFC championship to missing the play-offs. Argue all ya want, but deep down we all know what is different this season.........

Oh god.

Get that shit out of here.

Brett Favre made our defense not give up 20+ points everygame?

Brett Favre also used his magic powers to keep half of our defense from getting hurt.

I can go on and on and on

Gunakor
12-07-2008, 03:24 PM

To be honest with you, I am noticing the absence of Corey Williams more than I am the absence of Brett Favre...

imscott72
12-07-2008, 03:25 PM

It's hard to argue against what you're saying. You take a Michael Jordan like figure and put him on any team and he's going to make others around him up their game. The heart definitely seems to be missing this year..

Partial
12-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Oh shut up with this. Someone has to be held accountable. This has been going on all season long. How can MM escape the blame?!? At some point, one has to start to question whether its the players or the coaches... We have plenty of talent, thats for sure.

dissident94
With a qb that made some plays in the first half we score a ton of points. Reveivers were running free and Rodgers couldn't connect.

arcilite

It's hard to argue against what you're saying. You take a Michael Jordan like figure and put him on any team and he's going to make others around him up their game. The heart definitely seems to be missing this year..

Says the guy with the BF avatar. You are not biased at all.

You are prolly Scott Favre.

Bretsky
12-07-2008, 03:29 PM

To be honest with you, I am noticing the absence of Corey Williams more than I am the absence of Brett Favre...

They miss both, but I agree they miss CW for more than they anticipated
We brought nobody in that could offer what he did.

Joemailman
12-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Anybody want to do a mock draft?

arcilite
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM

Yes. Our first pick will be a WR we have never heard of from a school we have never heard of.

Fosco33
12-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately - even at a modest 5 wins - the Packers still have 9 teams with worse records...

Gunakor
12-07-2008, 03:36 PM

Yes. Our first pick will be a WR we have never heard of from a school we have never heard of.

If we do, he'll be a very solid WR.

digitaldean
12-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Facts don't lie, NFC championship to missing the play-offs. Argue all ya want, but deep down we all know what is different this season.........

Yeah, we have a defense and a special teams corps that sucks canal water. All the Brett Favre worshipping in the world won't change that.

Did Rodgers effort in the Carolina game lead them to victory?? Hell, no. Because even though A-Rod lead the team down to go ahead, the ST and defense couldn't cover anybody if their life depended on it.

Did A-Rod miss the winning FG attempt in the Twinkiedome vs. the Queens? Hell no, because even though A-Rod lead the team into position, Crosby missed the FG. Plus, McCarthy pulls a mental brainfart with his playcalling to get closer. (same goes for the Carolina goal line series).

Would Favre make a difference when the special teams today F-'ed up and blew a TD return on a hold? Hell no!

I am so frickin' sick and tired of this. You are entitled to your opinion, Packnut. But your WAY out of bounds on this one. Just because we don't agree, doesn't make us delusional.

Quit kissin' #4's behind and realize that this team just flat out underachieved. That is the fault of the players, the coaching staff and reflects bad on TT as well.

He cannot go through the draft to trade down to get 5 more picks if they aren't going to produce right away.

I always will appreciate all that Favre has done for this team. But neither he, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr or Joe Montana would resurrect this team to life if they have a coaching staff that didn't do it's job and players that can't fathom theirs.

:soap:

channtheman
12-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Well if all goes as planned we could possibly get a top 10 pick and maybe the 31st or 32nd pick as well. We could turn our top 10 into a 2nd, 3rd, and 2 5th round picks. Take the second and get a 3 and a 6. Then we could also trade the 31 for a 2 and a 3. When it's all said and done we will end up with close to 15 picks and most of them will not be what we need, like defense and offense lines.

digitaldean
12-07-2008, 03:47 PM

Well if all goes as planned we could possibly get a top 10 pick and maybe the 31st or 32nd pick as well. We could turn our top 10 into a 2nd, 3rd, and 2 5th round picks. Take the second and get a 3 and a 6. Then we could also trade the 31 for a 2 and a 3. When it's all said and done we will end up with close to 15 picks and most of them will not be what we need, like defense and offense lines.

Remind me to keep ESPN off that day if that's what's going to happen. TT has to trade picks to get VETERAN players that can help NOW.

He can use that bullshit term "DANGEROUS WATERS" when he talks about free agency. But if we had a Kris Jenkins, do you think teams would run as much on us?

CaliforniaCheez
12-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Even with Kapino

the Packers couldn't win.

BallHawk
12-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Facts don't lie, NFC championship to missing the play-offs. Argue all ya want, but deep down we all know what is different this season.........

It's a universally accepted fact that the Packers' record wasn't indicative of their skill level last year. They weren't a 13-3 team, plain and simple.

And the difference is our defense is worse.

Partial
12-07-2008, 03:50 PM

It's a universally accepted fact that the Packers' record wasn't indicative of their skill level last year. They weren't a 13-3 team, plain and simple.

OK, that is crazy talk... We were 13-3. There isn't any disputing that. Universally accepted... that would mean everyone in the universe agrees. I do not. Therefore, by a direct proof, it is NOT universally accepted.

We went to over time in the NFC championship game against the team that went on to physically dominate the Patriots. We played them closer then NE did. We were the second best team when all is said and done.

We're cursed. It's plain and simple.

Joemailman
12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
I looked at 3 mock drafts and they all had Packers taking a DE in the 1st round. Looks like DT isn't very strong this year, at least in the 1st round. Looks like Paxk will be picking somewhere between 10-15 unless they surprise us the next few weeks.

BallHawk
12-07-2008, 04:09 PM

OK, that is crazy talk... We were 13-3. There isn't any disputing that. Universally accepted... that would mean everyone in the universe agrees. I do not. Therefore, by a direct proof, it is NOT universally accepted.

We went to over time in the NFC championship game against the team that went on to physically dominate the Patriots. We played them closer then NE did. We were the second best team when all is said and done.

Oh God, if I took everything you said literally.....

We were 13-3. We also had zero injuries. We also had every close game go our way. Philly, San Diego, Washington, Minnesota, Denver, KC. Yes, a lot of those games were won on talent (some of them to due to Favre) but the fact is last year we didn't lose a game by any less than 7 points. All the close games we won. It's gone in reverse this year.

We aren't as bad as we seem this year and we weren't as good as we seemed last year.

Rastak
12-07-2008, 04:12 PM

HA! Welcome to my world.

Bretsky
12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Dagger in our playoff fantasies; might as well play the young guys now to see what we have. Send TT on his nationwide visitations and start planning for the draft.

Joemailman
12-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Most of the young guys are already playing because of injuries, or are injured themselves. Who do you want to see who's not playing now?

MOBB DEEP
12-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Oh god.

Get that shit out of here.

Brett Favre made our defense not give up 20+ points everygame?

Brett Favre also used his magic powers to keep half of our defense from getting hurt.

I can go on and on and on

he he

Partial
12-07-2008, 04:23 PM

We were 13-3. We also had zero injuries. We also had every close game go our way. Philly, San Diego, Washington, Minnesota, Denver, KC. Yes, a lot of those games were won on talent (some of them to due to Favre) but the fact is last year we didn't lose a game by any less than 7 points. All the close games we won. It's gone in reverse this year.

We aren't as bad as we seem this year and we weren't as good as we seemed last year.

Don't fabricate the facts.. We had injuries. Harris had a bad back all year. KGB missed a good chunk of the year. Woodson missed a few games. Grant was hurt. Clifton missed a game. Favre had a bad wing for awhile. Blackmon was hurt all year. Jennings was hobbled to start the year.

We won in Philly with defense. Favre led the team down the field and actually scored to win the game against SD. Seems so long since that has happened. Washington our D came up with some big plays and Favre made some errors. I'll give you that one. Denver, we came up with a big offensive play to win the game. In the KC game, Brett had a bomb to Jennings for the go ahead score with 3 minutes left in the 4th.

The 4 games you listed, they had 3 phenomenal offensive performances to bring the team back and win the game. I'm not sure what your point is. What this points to is the difference between last year and this year with pretty similiar talent at the skill positions.

We haven't beat a team over .500 this year. That is a cold hard fact and shows how mediocre we are.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Don't fabricate the facts.. We had injuries. Harris had a bad back all year. KGB missed a good chunk of the year. Woodson missed a few games. Grant was hurt. Clifton missed a game. Favre had a bad wing for awhile. Blackmon was hurt all year. Jennings was hobbled to start the year.

We won in Philly with defense. Favre led the team down the field and actually scored to win the game against SD. Seems so long since that has happened. Washington our D came up with some big plays and Favre made some errors. I'll give you that one. Denver, we came up with a big offensive play to win the game. In the KC game, Brett had a bomb to Jennings for the go ahead score with 3 minutes left in the 4th.

The 4 games you listed, they had 3 phenomenal offensive performances to bring the team back and win the game. I'm not sure what your point is. What this points to is the difference between last year and this year with pretty similiar talent at the skill positions.

We haven't beat a team over .500 this year. That is a cold hard fact and shows how mediocre we are.

Partial, part of the difference (and I am in no way cutting anyone slack this year) is that Rodgers has taken his team down for the go ahead score with 3 minutes left in a game this year. For example last week against Carolina. If our defense sucked this much last year, KC would have come right back to score and win that game.

Partial
12-07-2008, 04:29 PM
He got them there once, then when asked to do it again, he threw a pick.

Gunakor
12-07-2008, 04:33 PM

You are missing the point P. He got them there once, then the defense failed. I can understand it happening from time to time, and asking your QB for a miracle. But every week? Disgusting. He shouldn't be asked to do it again and again every single week. For once I'd like to see Rodgers lead his team to a tying or winning drive late in the game and the defense protects the tie or lead Rodgers gave them. Rodgers shouldn't have to bear that kind of a burden week after week. He should have a defense that wants to win as badly as he does...

MOBB DEEP
12-07-2008, 04:36 PM

i'd say we were third best behind pats too

cursed - lol, or "karma?"

Joemailman
12-07-2008, 04:36 PM

You mentioned the SD game from last year. Favre hit Jennings for the go ahead TD. On the next series, Barnett intercepted Rivers to ice the game. The big defensive play at crunch time is what's not happening this year.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 04:37 PM

You are missing the point P. He got them there once, then the defense failed. I can understand it happening from time to time, and asking your QB for a miracle. But every week? Disgusting. He shouldn't be asked to do it again and again every single week. For once I'd like to see Rodgers lead his team to a tying or winning drive late in the game and the defense protects the tie or lead Rodgers gave them. Rodgers shouldn't have to bear that kind of a burden week after week. He should have a defense that wants to win as badly as he does...

I was trying to figure out how to say that, and you said it better than I could have said it.

Obviously Partial, we have differing views on this and they likely won't change. However, to expect Rodgers to play flawless football to win games is beyond many QB's. The year Favre won the Super Bowl, he had a fantastic defense with Reggie White lifting up the whole team around him.

Basically, while Rodgers isn't without fault, if you put even a functional defense (not even a good defense) on the other side of the ball I think we have 2 more wins (last 2 weeks).

channtheman
12-07-2008, 04:38 PM

You mentioned the SD game from last year. Favre hit Jennings for the go ahead TD. On the next series, Barnett intercepted Rivers to ice the game. The big defensive play at crunch time is what's not happening this year.

Good point.

Partial
12-07-2008, 04:49 PM
All you can ask of the defense is to give you the ball at the end of the game with an opportunity to win the game imo. The defense gave the O a chance to win today, and they didn't do it.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 04:51 PM
All you can ask of the defense is to give you the ball at the end of the game with an opportunity to win the game imo. The defense gave the O a chance to win today, and they didn't do it.

Let's agree to disagree. This will never go anywhere.

gbgary
12-07-2008, 05:12 PM

i agree. the D may have sucked but the O sucked more.

BallHawk
12-07-2008, 05:15 PM

And against the Chiefs Woodson had a INT return for a TD that sealed the deal.

Against Denver the defense had a key goal-line stand that held the Broncos to a FG instead of a TD, allowing the game to go to OT.

Gunakor
12-07-2008, 05:38 PM

Wrong. You can ask your defense to protect a lead too. The O gave the defense a chance to win the game too today Partial, and the defense didn't come through.

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 05:40 PM
All you can ask of the defense is to give you the ball at the end of the game with an opportunity to win the game imo. The defense gave the O a chance to win today, and they didn't do it.DID YOU EVEN WATCH THE LAST @ MINUTES OF THE GAME? THE DEFENSE BLEW IT!?! You have to be the most ignorant person I have ever seen and that is saying something.

Partial
12-07-2008, 05:54 PM
All you can ask of the defense is to give you the ball at the end of the game with an opportunity to win the game imo. The defense gave the O a chance to win today, and they didn't do it.DID YOU EVEN WATCH THE LAST @ MINUTES OF THE GAME? THE DEFENSE BLEW IT!?! You have to be the most ignorant person I have ever seen and that is saying something.

I will ask you one simple yes or no question:

Did the Packers not have the ball at on 1st down at the Texans 25 yard line, with ~2:00 to go in the 4th quarter?

I rest my case.

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 05:57 PM

Did the Packers not have the ball at on 1st down at the Texans 25 yard line, with ~2:00 to go in the 4th quarter?

I rest my case.Did the Texans have the ball on their own 2 yard line with 2 minutes to go in the 4th Quarter?

I rest my case.

Gunakor
12-07-2008, 06:00 PM

I rest my case.

Don't rest, because you forgot to address the small part about how the defense LOST THE GAME at the end. The offense did not give up any yards on that final Houston drive, and did not give up the 3 points that resulted from it.

Look at the game from a defensive point of view for once P. The object is not to outscore your opponent, rather it is to keep your opponent from scoring as many points as you. It is a defensive game. 21 points wins the game if your opponent only scores 20. I think if you look at it that way, things will make more sense.

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 06:05 PM

I rest my case.

Don't rest, because you forgot to address the small part about how the defense LOST THE GAME at the end. The offense did not give up any yards on that final Houston drive, and did not give up the 3 points that resulted from it.

Look at the game from a defensive point of view for once P. The object is not to outscore your opponent, rather it is to keep your opponent from scoring as many points as you. It is a defensive game. 21 points wins the game if your opponent only scores 20. I think if you look at it that way, things will make more sense.Let's not even bother with him anymore. Its obvious that he will blame ARod for everything and anything. I mean the defense could give up 1000 yards while ARod could pass for 500 and 4 TDS but Partial would blame ARod for the loss becuase he threw one pick. As Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid".

Partial
12-07-2008, 07:22 PM

I rest my case.Did the Texans have the ball on their own 2 yard line with 2 minutes to go in the 4th Quarter?

I rest my case.

The defense failed, no doubt about it. The point is the offense failed, too, and most importantly, failed first. That offensive failure takes the wind out of their proverbial sail. Seriously, is it that hard of a concept to grasp?

Can we all agree that this is the logical explanation?

Partial
12-07-2008, 07:23 PM

I rest my case.

Look at the game from a defensive point of view for once P. The object is not to outscore your opponent, rather it is to keep your opponent from scoring as many points as you. It is a defensive game. 21 points wins the game if your opponent only scores 20. I think if you look at it that way, things will make more sense.

24 points is far from outlandish, especially with the turnover, and the overall offensive ineptness. Before the final kick, they gave up three TDs to a dangerous offense. I don't think that is horrible..

CPK, you have failed to acknowledge that any of the offensive whoas could have fallen on the QB position all season long. From reading your posts, it's evident that you think A-Rod is one of the top players at his position. I at least have acknowledged both his good and bad qualities, both of which are plentiful.

What did he do today? He was given the ball countless times off of 4 turnovers giving them great field position for a good chunk of the day. He put up three stinking touchdowns against a bad defense! That's it! Are we expected to win if we put up 21 points every week? Maybe if we're the ravens and have some defensive personality.. but we aren't and we don't. That's unreasonable to expect to win with 21 points.

A-Rod was given a prime opportunity today and he blew it. This week was worse than last week. He should have won that game today. No doubt about it. While he has no control over the hold, a savy vet throws the ball away, or stops dropping back when they see the guard blows the play. Either situation would have kept them in field goal range to at least have a shot to win.

As my thread today said, I counted 9 plays where we left yards on the field from bad passes, be it drops from a ball behind them, or yac, from a ball too high or behind, etc. One play does NOT change the result of a game. 9 plays does. This isn't about the last play of the game. That is just the icing on the cake. It's about the consistently below average offense throughout the game. I don't know about you, but I didn't see the offense tearing it up...

The only person that is dumb is the one who refused to acknowledge that 21 points against a strong offense and a bad defense is simply not good enough to win consistently in today's NFL.

red
12-07-2008, 07:35 PM
good god, i just got home

blow this fucking team up. theres a handfull of players i would keep, and thats it

get rid of the gm, all the coaches, and the rest of the team. M3 and his staff do not have what it takes to coach a winning team, i now believe last year was a fluke

i was furious at what i witnessed today

imscott72
12-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Rodgers had a QB rating over 100 and we rushed for over 100 yards.

The defense gave up 414 yards though the air and 140 yards on the ground including the winning drive after they were pinned at the 2. I don't see how you can blame this loss on the offense whatsoever.

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 07:41 PM

I rest my case.

The defense failed, no doubt about it. The point is the offense failed, too, and most importantly, failed first. That offensive failure takes the wind out of their proverbial sail. Seriously, is it that hard of a concept to grasp?

Can we all agree that this is the logical explanation?NO becuase what you just did is gave the D a pass and made excuses for them so you could continue to bash Rodgers. The PAckers had the Texans backed up to their own 2yard line. All the D had to do is make a stop and ARod gets another chance. The D failed. Not ARod. End of Story.

Fosco33
12-07-2008, 07:54 PM

The defense gave up 414 yards though the air and 140 yards on the ground including the winning drive after they were pinned at the 2. I don't see how you can blame this loss on the offense whatsoever.

1 for 10 on 3rd downs is piss poor. Not scoring when you get it to near the 20 with the game on the line (holds, sacks, poor play calling)...

Defense owns this loss - but offense didn't help much.

cpk1994
12-07-2008, 07:56 PM

1 for 10 on 3rd downs is piss poor. Not scoring when you get it to near the 20 with the game on the line (holds, sacks, poor play calling)...

Defense owns this loss - but offense didn't help much.Now this I can agree with. Puts it succinctly.

red
12-07-2008, 07:56 PM
what happened on the texans 2 point conversion? they didn't say at the stadium why the play stood. on the jumbo tron it sure looked like he only got 1 foot in.

BTW, the refs sucked bad in this game. one the intentional grounding call on schuab, they didn't throw a flag until one ref watched the jumbotron and saw that they screwed up

imscott72
12-07-2008, 07:58 PM

Defense owns this loss - but offense didn't help much.

I'll give you the 3rd down conversions. That is bad, but I can't put this loss on the offense. Could they have done more? Of course, they always can, but imo they did more than enough to win the game. The defense was once again way to porous.

chain_gang
12-07-2008, 07:59 PM
what happened on the texans 2 point conversion? they didn't say at the stadium why the play stood. on the jumbo tron it sure looked like he only got 1 foot in.

BTW, the refs sucked bad in this game. one the intentional grounding call on schuab, they didn't throw a flag until one ref watched the jumbotron and saw that they screwed up

Replays showed the dirt kicking up from the him dragging the other foot, it was a clean, nice catch, but it'd be nice it our defense could take advantage of the no force out rule.

imscott72
12-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Ref claimed on the review that he "drug" the 2nd foot in..Larrivee disagreed on radio. I didn't see it myself. The refs were horrid all day. Must of had money on the Texans. I think the officiating is as bad as the NBA this year.

Fritz
12-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Actually you could see him dragging his foot and the dirt kicking up.

The really poor call was the holding call on Moll on that 9 yard gain at the end of the game. WTF? There was no hold there.

Besides, from Houston's own end zone following, the right tackle held Kampman - turned his head around - and there was no call. Grrrr.

MJZiggy
12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes, that Kampman play caused me to say bad words. My son learned some new football vocabulary today.

RashanGary
12-07-2008, 08:27 PM
I went to teh game. Had a blast. The crowd was great. I don't know how it appeared on TV, but it seemed like it was a very lively group. I esspecially enjoyed booing the refs. Were they really as bad as it seemed and was the crowd as pissed off as it seemed from the stands?

MJZiggy
12-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Yes and yes.

red
12-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I went to teh game. Had a blast. The crowd was great. I don't know how it appeared on TV, but it seemed like it was a very lively group. I esspecially enjoyed booing the refs. Were they really as bad as it seemed and was the crowd as pissed off as it seemed from the stands?

i was there too, and yes. the refs really were that bad

BTW. the real justin harrell is next to worthless. what did he play? 5 snaps? some guy named alfred played 10 times as mush as harrell did. if he's healthy now, then he's worthless

RashanGary
12-07-2008, 08:33 PM
It was funny, but I get so frustrated at refs watching from home that being in the stands I took advantage of my opportunity to boo the shit out of them. Although it was only one voice in 70,000 it felt great.

Fosco33
12-07-2008, 08:40 PM
M3 had 'no comment' on the officials but said 'if you watch the game...'
Underlying comment - the officiating sucked.

Specifically on the Moll call, he said they called for inside zone to eliminate the pass blocking from getting their hands outside. He said, "i didn't see the replay" - which means - it was bullshit. He also said it was a huge call - duh.

M3 said he's not packing it up - the team needs a win in Jacksonville.

Injuries: Collins (shin, not return), Tauscher (knee, out), Hall (knee sprain, not return).

Moll's comments - not much of jersey to grab. Won't get into 'fair or not'.
- underlying comment - bullshit.

Bishop admitted that the running back coverage should've been better because the routes were easy. - duh, now do it.

Joemailman
12-07-2008, 08:40 PM

BTW. the real justin harrell is next to worthless. what did he play? 5 snaps? some guy named alfred played 10 times as mush as harrell did. if he's healthy now, then he's worthless

I thought Harrell did a great job of neutralizing the Guard playing opposite him. Oh wait, he's supposed to try to get past that guy, isn't he?

Partial
12-07-2008, 08:53 PM

The defense did an EXCELLENT job of bending, but not breaking today. They gave up 21 points and put us in position to win the game. I could really care less how many yards they gave up today, as they held the opposition to a totally reasonable amount of points. They also forced 4 turnovers and put the offense in excellent position to succeed.

The offense had the ball on the 25 yard line with 4 downs and 2 minutes remaining. There is no denying they were given a chance to win, and did not put any points on the board.

Partial
12-07-2008, 08:56 PM

I rest my case.

Can we all agree that this is the logical explanation?NO becuase what you just did is gave the D a pass and made excuses for them so you could continue to bash Rodgers. The PAckers had the Texans backed up to their own 2yard line. All the D had to do is make a stop and ARod gets another chance. The D failed. Not ARod. End of Story.

The offense failed. They put up 21 points.

Is 21 points enough to beat a team?!? Should we expect to win against strong offensive teams when we put up only 21 points?!? Is this the new standard of a solid offensive performance.

The offense went 1 for 10 on third down. How is that not a 90% failure rate? That is terrible. That shows me that A-Rod and the offense is not doing their job. Aaron, being the quarterback and leader of the offense, gets the blame. Fact of life.

They put up only 21 points despite having great field positions from the turnovers.

They had the ball at the 25 with 4 downs to score, with 2 minutes left. The defense put them in a position to win the game and they didn't.

My god.. You people are crazy. Of course, some of you think A-Rod is playing at an all-pro level despite being dead last in the league in the most important stat in the game - 3rd down efficiency.

Freak Out
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Was that a hell of a catch and run by DD today or what? Damn I love DD. :worship:

red
12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Was that a hell of a catch and run by DD today or what? Damn I love DD. :worship:

that was a great catch

too bad it was wasted

imscott72
12-07-2008, 09:27 PM

I rest my case.

Is 21 points enough to beat a team?!? Should we expect to win against strong offensive teams when we put up only 21 points?!? Is this the new standard of a solid offensive performance.

My god.. You people are crazy. Of course, some of you think A-Rod is playing at an all-pro level despite being dead last in the league in the most important stat in the game - 3rd down efficiency.

I don't know why you hate Arod so much. The offense ranks 4th in the league averaging 27.8 pts/game. So they only scored 21 pts this game in freezing cold weather, but the defense still managed to give up over 500 yards and 24 pts including the game winning drive from the 2. I don't get your logic that the offense failed the defense in this scenario.

Gunakor
12-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Ref claimed on the review that he "drug" the 2nd foot in..Larrivee disagreed on radio. I didn't see it myself. The refs were horrid all day. Must of had money on the Texans. I think the officiating is as bad as the NBA this year.

I saw the rooster tail that came up from the ground as he drug that second foot in. It was a good call. He was in.

GrnBay007
12-07-2008, 10:55 PM

I was at the game today too. Just got back home. Had a great time! I wondered also how the crowd sounded on TV because I thought it was a very lively group for being pretty darn cold today. My first cold weather game! Couldn't have gotten better tickets either....50 yard line, row 12...awesome seats!!

Partial
12-07-2008, 11:14 PM

I rest my case.

I don't know why you hate Arod so much. The offense ranks 4th in the league averaging 27.8 pts/game. So they only scored 21 pts this game in freezing cold weather, but the defense still managed to give up over 500 yards and 24 pts including the game winning drive from the 2. I don't get your logic that the offense failed the defense in this scenario.

First of all: Offense has not averaged anywhere near 27.8 points per game. Didn't they say during the game today the defense/special teams cleared the 100 point mark on the season, the highest total ever for the Packers? If thats the case, go ahead and subtract 7.7 points a game right there for defensive scoring (that is assuming they hit exactly 100 points). That puts us at 20.1 ppg, not exactly stellar by any means.

I don't hate A-Rod at all. He is a slightly below average QB at this point with lots of potential. He gets far too much manlove for putting up chad pennington like numbers.

Who cares how many yards the defense gave up!?? The forced 4 turnovers. 1,2,3,4 and gave us great field position only for us to get 21 stinking points. Don't you think that sucks the wind out of their sails a bit?!?

What were they supposed to do on the last drive? Force a 5th turnover against an offense that was obviously clicking all day (since they put up a zillion yards). Clearly the Packers D was having a hard time matching up, but they still manned up and gave the Packers an opportunity to win the ball game with 2 minutes left with a 1st down at the 25 yard of the opposition. They're in field goal territory, and they somehow manage to screw it up.

This is mind boggling to me. Are we supposed to force 5 turnovers every game? Is the defense not allowed to make any mistakes and give up 21 points? If the offense played as well as the defense did in making big plays, how many points would they have had?!? My goodness gracious.. They forced 4 turnovers and gave the offense the chance to win the game. You cannot expect anything more than that ever. That is insanity.

The defense failed on one drive. They also put the offense in great position all game long. The game wasn't determined on one drive; it was determined all game long when the offense could not capitalize.

mission
12-07-2008, 11:26 PM
You don't win football games giving up 500 yards+

Period.

That's no excuse for the offense but 500 yards is a metric that takes 500 on the other side to beat...

I've been on the road all day coming back from a Virginia studio. I thought for sure that we won this game... I mean, it's the Texans.

I guess not...

FUCK.

A massive coaching shake up is in order ...

cpk1994
12-08-2008, 04:12 AM
What were they supposed to do on the last drive? Force a 5th turnover against an offense that was obviously clicking all day (since they put up a zillion yards). Clearly the Packers D was having a hard time matching up, but they still manned up and gave the Packers an opportunity to win the ball game with 2 minutes left with a 1st down at the 25 yard of the opposition. They're in field goal territory, and they somehow manage to screw it up.
It's called doing their fucking job like they are paid to and get the ball back to the offense. Christ you are beginning to make Pacopete look intelligent by comparison. ARod didn't lose the game. The defense did. You need to get your head out of your ass and come back to reality.

Partial
12-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Naturally, the offense was perfect, put up multiple touchdowns, and scored at the end, right?

Oh way. They didn't. They were awful all day. They put up a measly 21 points against a jv defense. Swell. I'm sure the Packers offense scored plenty of points to win against Tennessee and Dallas too, right?!?

Gunakor
12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Naturally, the offense was perfect, put up multiple touchdowns, and scored at the end, right?

Oh way. They didn't. They were awful all day. They put up a measly 21 points against a jv defense. Swell. I'm sure the Packers offense scored plenty of points to win against Tennessee and Dallas too, right?!?

Technically, we did score enough points to beat the Titans. You seem to be forgetting that the defense allowed the Titans to score at the end of that game to send it into overtime, then allowed them to score on the first possession of overtime to win the game. If the defense comes up with a key stop at the end of regulation, we win without the need for overtime. Remember?

Look, if the game is tied or if you have the lead going into the last 2 minutes of the game, the onus is on the defense to come up with a stop. It doesn't matter if it's 3-3 or 24-21 or whatever, if the game is tied or if we are ahead then it is up to the defense to keep it that way. The previous 58 minutes don't matter anymore. All that matters at that point in the game are the final 2 minutes, and can your defense keep your opponent from scoring in those 2 minutes. That's it. That's the game right there, as simple as one can make it.

So you ask what more I can expect from our defense, well I can expect them to not allow the opponent to score the winning points in the final 2 minutes of the game. And to be perfectly honest, that's not at all an unreasonable expectation - 31 other teams and their fans expect the same from their defenses.

HarveyWallbangers
12-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Technically, we did score enough points to beat the Titans. You seem to be forgetting that the defense allowed the Titans to score at the end of that game to send it into overtime, then allowed them to score on the first possession of overtime to win the game. If the defense comes up with a key stop at the end of regulation, we win without the need for overtime. Remember?

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but the offense tied it up (they didn't take the lead). The defense could have made a stop and given the offense another chance. Instead, they gave up a long drive (Bironas missed what would have been a game-winning FG). Then, we lost the coin toss and the defense couldn't stop them again.

Gunakor
12-08-2008, 02:54 PM

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but the offense tied it up (they didn't take the lead). The defense could have made a stop and given the offense another chance. Instead, they gave up a long drive (Bironas missed what would have been a game-winning FG). Then, we lost the coin toss and the defense couldn't stop them again.

You're right, my fault. Still, the point remains the same. And would have been reinforced further had Bironas made that game winning FG at the end of regulation.