PDA

View Full Version : HDTV antenna

pack4to84
12-07-2008, 08:16 AM
I notice some people here can't watch the Packer games. I live in Rockford IL. I used to pay $300 for the NFL package. I read online about antenna that can bring in a HDTV signal from 60 miles away. So I bought it. Now I can watch Packer games. I pickup all the Madison channels and I live 75 miles away. If I turn it towards Milwaukee I can pickup channel 4 but it goes in and out, 97 miles away. I told my brother who also lives in Rockford he bought it too and now is able to watch Packer games. The Madison channels come in perfect by the way.

Channel Master CM4228 UHF HDTV antenna

LL2
12-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Hey...thanks for the tip! I live in Geneva which is further away than Rockford , but I will at least check it out. I'm sure if I buy it and if it doesn't work I should be able to return it.

sheepshead
12-07-2008, 08:30 AM
we might need a "flatlander rat outing soon" maybe watch a game at a watering hole!

Thanks for the tip-i'll check it out for sure. Algonquin here.

GoPackGo
12-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I notice some people here can't watch the Packer games. I live in Rockford IL. I used to pay $300 for the NFL package. I read online about antenna that can bring in a HDTV signal from 60 miles away. So I bought it. Now I can watch Packer games. I pickup all the Madison channels and I live 75 miles away. If I turn it towards Milwaukee I can pickup channel 4 but it goes in and out, 97 miles away. I told my brother who also lives in Rockford he bought it too and now is able to watch Packer games. The Madison channels come in perfect by the way.

you know that its not going to work in about 2 months right?

Legislation passed by the Senate requires broadcasters to end their traditional analog transmissions by Feb. 17, 2009, and send their signals digitally.

Your antenna will make a nice paperweight

GBRulz
12-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Um, GoPack? You are confusing analog signals with HD. People using an antenna to pick up HD broadcasts will be just fine.

]{ilr]3
12-07-2008, 10:49 AM

you know that its not going to work in about 2 months right?

Legislation passed by the Senate requires broadcasters to end their traditional analog transmissions by Feb. 17, 2009, and send their signals digitally.

Your antenna will make a nice paperweight

Yep, they are going to work just fine! Actually they are going to work even better after it goes all digital because most stations right now are splitting there broadcast power between analog and digital and they will dedicate it all to digital in Feb.

I put up a big ass Philips antenna about 4 months ago. I pull in about 10 HD channels from over 100 miles on a clear night. (North West Iowa). I actually get more Digital HD channels than I do analog right now.

The only way it wont work for you after Feb is if you dont have a digital tuner. All new TV's sold over the past few years have be digital compatible and if you dont have one you can buy one pretty cheap that plugs in like a cable box.

I connect the attenna directly to my HDTV that has a built in digital tuner and it decodes it all just fine. And the beauty of it is I get these awesome HD broadcasts for free my asshole cable company and Direct TV want to charge me $20 a month just to redistribute them to me.

GoPackGo
12-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Um, GoPack? You are confusing analog signals with HD. People using an antenna to pick up HD broadcasts will be just fine.

for those of you who use these antennas I hope GBRulz is right. i interpreted it another way.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Many stations are already broadcasting digitial in addition to analog, have been for most of this year. The change in early next year is that the analog broadcast gets turned off.

I know one person who uses an antenna who is having more trouble with digital reception than they had with analog. They live out in the country in a bit of a valley. The digitial signal is clear, but then cuts out completely for periods, which is what you would expect. The analog signal is far more acceptable. (They are going to lay underground cable and put an antenna on a hill way over yonder.)

Joemailman
12-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I have an HDTV with Directv but my local channels, through Directv, are not in HD. The picture is decent but not great. Will it be any better once they go digital?

billy_oliver880
12-07-2008, 11:29 AM
You don't need a special "hdtv" antenna but if you have an analog set or an hd tv without an hd tuner you will need a converter box.

pack4to84
12-07-2008, 12:57 PM

for those of you who use these antennas I hope GBRulz is right. i interpreted it another way.Analog signal is going by by. HDTV signal is the new thing. All local station have to convert to HDTV(digital) signal in Jan.. Madison has HDTV channels 3.1, 3.2, 15.1, 15.2, 21.1, 27.1, 47.1, 57.1
Rockford has 13.1, 13.2, 17.1, 23.1, 39.1

]{ilr]3
12-07-2008, 12:59 PM

for those of you who use these antennas I hope GBRulz is right. i interpreted it another way.

100% right. Like I said I am already pulling in Digital and HD signals through my antenna.

It doesnt get any more true than that does it? :wink:

Freak Out
12-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I scrapped cable up here because it was such a rip and all I use now are the OTA digital signals...works fantastic.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Go there to find out where to aim them and what you might need if you don't have one yet.

Good place to buy if the local merchants don't have a good selection.

http://www.solidsignal.com/