PDA

View Full Version : Watching Football In HD Question 4 PR Tech Experts

MateoInMex
12-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I just bought a 46' LCD Flatscreen...It took the cable bitches 3 weeks to install a new outlet in my living room. Currently, the condo I purchased has a complex law where Dish or DirectTV aren't allowed.

Why is it that when I turn to my HD channels, they look exactly the same as the non-HD channels? The cable installer told me I don't need an HDMI cable unless I'm installing a shit load of money into a big entertainment system...

Can someone tell me why my HD channels don't look any different? Is it the installation? Is the quality of the TV too good to tell the difference? Do I need the HDMI cables?

Any good info for me, please advise. Thanks.

Rastak
12-07-2008, 09:27 AM
I just bought a 46' LCD Flatscreen...It took the cable bitches 3 weeks to install a new outlet in my living room. Currently, the condo I purchased has a complex law where Dish or DirectTV aren't allowed.

Why is it that when I turn to my HD channels, they look exactly the same as the non-HD channels? The cable installer told me I don't need an HDMI cable unless I'm installing a shit load of money into a big entertainment system...

Can someone tell me why my HD channels don't look any different? Is it the installation? Is the quality of the TV too good to tell the difference? Do I need the HDMI cables?

What kind of cables do you have now hooked up to your TV?

KYPack
12-07-2008, 09:39 AM
To go off Ras's reply,

You need a linked set.

The cable box must send an HD signal and have the HDMI interface. If so, then you need a good HDMI cable to your new TV.

The pecking order is something like this,

Coaxial cable is the very LAST choice you should use to hook up your cable box.

1st choice: hdmi
2nd choice: component (red blue green) and audio wires (red white)
3rd choice: S-video and audio wires (red white)
4th choice: composite wire (yellow) and audio wires (red white)
LAST choice: composite or coax.

The "big entertainment system" comment is curious.

To get the good video and audio, you should get a new cable box with an HDMI port, a good HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your monitor.

If that's how the cable company defines a "big entertainment system, so be it.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 09:48 AM
The HD channels will look like total shit if you don't use at least component. They will be blocky and the screen will tear. When the DirecTV guy installed ours he didn't put an HDMI cable in for some reason and we're sitting there wondering why the channels looked crappy. So first you want to hook up the cable box to your TV with an HDMI cable. That advice to not use HDMI unless you are installing a big entertainment center is horrible. HDMI does transfer both an audio and a video cable but that doesn't mean you don't want to use it for video.

When you install with the HDMI cable then make sure you have the TV input set to HDMI. I know that might sound stupid but ours was still hooked up to S-video so for a while we thought the HDMI wasn't doing anything.

GoPackGo
12-07-2008, 09:56 AM

I agree with everyone that suggests you try an HDMI cable. That Cable installer is full of crap-He should have given you an HDMI cable. Most High definition boxes come with an HDMI cable. If there is no way to get one from the cable company now I would order one online.

here's one for $6.99
http://www.firefold.com/HDMI-Male-to-HDMI-Male-Digital-Cable-6-Foot-28AWG-Black-P1446C485.aspx

Zool
12-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Your cable installer is an idiot firstly, but thats a given.

If you didnt get an HD box from your cable company then you have to hope that your cable company is as dumb as mine and doesnt scramble their HD broadcasts. I get all 4 networks in HD over coax. I just have to scan the channels every couple weeks to see where they are broadcasting.

If you have an HD box, make sure you are using an HDMI or component (RGB) cable from your box to your TV. Then make sure you are turning the box to the HD version of the network. Usually way up in the channel numbering scheme.

Finally, make sure you set your TV to switch resolutions automatically depending on the incoming signal. When your TV senses an HD signal coming in, it should switch to widescreen if the program is HD.

arcilite
12-07-2008, 10:04 AM
I get a couple HD channels by only connecting the coax cable directly to my hdtv. You should as well.

GBRulz
12-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I noticed a huge difference in my HD picture when I switched from component cables to HDMI. I also recommend fiber optic cables for audio, that makes a big difference as well.

KYPack
12-07-2008, 10:24 AM
When I first got cable at my place here in KY, the installer was also full of shit.

He came into my living room and announced that we had to move the TV all the way across the room. This was because the "Federal Communications Commision" only allowed them to run cable '3 feet from the wall to the TV'. I laughed at him and told him we didn't have to move the TV, but he had to go back out to the truck and get a big spool of cable wire. Because we were gonna leave the Federal government totally in the dark on this installation and run cable all over hell.

Call those dillweeds at the cable or Sat co and tell 'em you want a brandy new box with a HDMI port and HDMI cable from the box to your TV. Pronto. Or your switching cable companies, going satellite, what ever.

Cause they are trying to scrrew ya, and so far, they've done a pretty good job.

]{ilr]3
12-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Are you sure your getting HD channels? Are they in Wide Screen? Is the channel designation for example ESPNHD or CBSHD?

If your HDTV has a built in HD tuner and your cable is connected directly to the TV you dont need anything at all.

If you connect your HDTV to any other device that is connected to your Cable you need atleast Componet cables and at best HDMI to connect the TV for HD.

How old is your apartment complex? Maybe they connected into old RG59 cable and there is not enough bandwidth or interference because of lesser shielding than the new RG6 standard.

Also my Direct TV installer stole all my HDMI cables right out of the box when he setup my receivers and told me I had to get my own. The piece of shit probably rips people off on ebay or soething like Walmart does selling them for $30 each when you can buy great ones online for $7 shipped.

On a different note, anyone else not getting the Packers game on D-TV Sunday Ticket Super Fan?

This is two weeks is has not been listed and last week it only came on half way through the game. Luckily I was able to pull it in over a local OTA HD channle but since the Vikingsa are playing at the same time this week that wont happen in my area.

bobblehead
12-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Ok, first off if your TV is new it has HDMI, which is easier, and works better. Go spring the $10 and hook it up. That being said I use #3 (KY's list) on my old TV and it looks fine. If you use the coaxil it won't look so hot, never even heard it suggested.

Bretsky
12-07-2008, 11:01 AM
We just got a Samsung Plasma; the problematic issue is our receiver is about four years old and does have have HMDI compatibility. But we don't really want to spring for a new receiver too.

I think our channels will work fine....well hopefully

BUT

I have to look for a 30Ft Fiber Optic Cable since the Direct TV Box is about fifteen feet away and my wife wants to run the cabling above the ceiling and back down.

I went everywhere last night and retail stores do not carry it....best buy...american tv...radio shack

I don't think Monster has one that long.

Anybody run into this and if so have any suggestions on where to get one this long ?

MateoInMex
12-07-2008, 11:03 AM
When I first got cable at my place here in KY, the installer was also full of shit.

He came into my living room and announced that we had to move the TV all the way across the room. This was because the "Federal Communications Commision" only allowed them to run cable '3 feet from the wall to the TV'. I laughed at him and told him we didn't have to move the TV, but he had to go back out to the truck and get a big spool of cable wire. Because we were gonna leave the Federal government totally in the dark on this installation and run cable all over hell.

Call those dillweeds at the cable or Sat co and tell 'em you want a brandy new box with a HDMI port and HDMI cable from the box to your TV. Pronto. Or your switching cable companies, going satellite, what ever.

Cause they are trying to scrrew ya, and so far, they've done a pretty good job.

Yes they are. It took those A-Holes 3 tries, and 3 no -shows before a special MDU Unit could come in and hook it up. The first 2 bozos looked all around the basement ceiling and couldn't find the cable connection.

Thanks everyone on here for the great advice. I'm using the link GoPackGo gave for an HDMI cable as well.

The cable guys didn't spring for an HDMI cable, my digital box is HDTV compatible, and all I'm running is the lame coaxial cable from the wall to the unit.

To really get the full effect of HD, etc. Im noticing there's a lot of accessories. Thanks again for the advice.

KYPack
12-07-2008, 11:38 AM
We just got a Samsung Plasma; the problematic issue is our receiver is about four years old and does have have HMDI compatibility. But we don't really want to spring for a new receiver too.

BUT

I have to look for a 30Ft Fiber Optic Cable since the Direct TV Box is about fifteen feet away and my wife wants to run the cabling above the ceiling and back down.

I went everywhere last night and retail stores do not carry it....best buy...american tv...radio shack

Anybody run into this and if so have any suggestions on where to get one this long ?

Try these guys,

http://www.optimization-world.com/

They have long cables and stuff.

if you pull this off, your wife better let you have that 8-way yer always chasin'.

Fosco33
12-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I have Pack on 705-1 on DTV Superfan (HD)?

]{ilr]3
12-07-2008, 01:01 PM
I have Pack on 705-1 on DTV Superfan (HD)?

I have it now to. It wasnt even showing up until 1 min to game time. Pisses me off. I really hate D-TV, my cable co offers nothing.

channtheman
12-07-2008, 03:40 PM

BUT

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you need but this website is a great place to buy cables.

http://www.riteav.com/index.php?cPath=166_167&osCsid=e10a8c991492202597673f7445b8730a

I've bought from them 3 times and each time it only took 3 day shipping and was in perfect condition. They sell you cables what they should be priced at. The stuff Best Buy and all the big stores try to do by selling HDMI cables for 50 bucks is ridiculous.